The Burlington Seniors’ Centre Choir is seeking a Music Director
The Music Director is responsible for developing, coordinating and supervising the music program for the non-auditioning Choir. He/she recruits, trains and rehearses members of the Choir. The Director in conjunction with the Choir Executive Board plans and produces Programs, Concerts and Sing Outs and works collaboratively in the selection of appropriate music that reflects a variety of musical styles.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provide a welcoming, inclusive environment for Choir members and other members of the Centre.
2. Provide music direction and leadership for the Choir and encourage it’s growth
3. Assess the capabilities of individual choir members and place them in the proper section.
4. Plan and conduct productive weekly choir rehearsals to accomplish short and long term goals.
5. Plan and Conduct Sing Outs (4 to 6 annually) at various internal or external venues.
6. Plan and Conduct Concerts (2 having 2 performances each) annually.
1. In Conjunction with the Executive select music suitable for the level of the choir, introducing new music as is appropriate and within budget. Ensure a wide variety of music.
2. Provide music selections within an established timeframe to insure timely delivery to members at the beginning of each program.
3. Participate in the selection and hiring of the accompanist.
4. Attend monthly Choir Executive meetings
5. Provide appropriate substitutes when absent.
6. Provide Guest Musicians when needed.
1. Strong educational background in music and in teaching music, including vocal and choral music.
2. Strong organizational and leadership skills and ability to establish high expectations
3. Strong interpersonal skills and a passion for people
4. Team player with respect for, and willingness to work with Choir Executive and Centre Staff, in making decisions
5. Strong empathy for working with Seniors having varying abilities and musical skills
6. Computer skills, or willingness to learn
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Contract Position
- 3 Sessions (10 weeks each) annually, over a 10 month period
- Available Friday afternoons for rehearsals plus occasional weekends or weekdays as determined
DEADLINE July 2nd, 2013. Applications will be reviewed immediately and on an ongoing basis. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted