Burger King

10.6K reviews

Burger King Employee Reviews

Great co-workers, Busiest location, Odd management
kitchen worker (Former Employee) –  Nepean, ONMarch 18, 2014
I worked at Burger King for an incredible 5 years, but It should have not lasted that long. Shortly after I worked there, I began to notice how strange the management was. My paychecks were getting smaller while working the same hours on a weekly basis and health and safety was visiting more often. After 3 years, a new manager came and she was strict and reduced all our hours saying it was going by sales and we were short-staff most of the time. Less than a year, another new manager and even more problems. He denied me breaks saying it was based on behavior and criticizing my personal life and making judgements when he was stressed and not having a good day. He dealt with difficult customers and stood up to them whenever they yelled at us. Unfortunately he died just over a year after taking over as manager. We all soon ended up quitting because things were getting worse because the franchisee group treated their employees badly, never paid overtime, and only cared about making money and never our safety at work. The franchisee group caved in and eventually sold the chain to an American company where they invested in new equipment and renovations.
Pros
made a lot of friends
Cons
abusive customers, no benefits
Fun workplace
Shift Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ONJuly 27, 2015
A typical day of work consists of cash handling, face-face interaction with customers on a regular basis and you have to have great problem solving skills. Our number one goal is to ensure everybody leaves happy. I can usually tell if someone is having a horrible day and a terrible time with our services and its up to me as a Shift-Coordinator to ensure that I take the initiative and approach the customer appropriately and make sure they are taken care of. The management is great and and team work environment at times can get challenging but we all get through it at the end of the day. The hardest part of my job would be dealing with intoxicated customer and asking them to leave. There is lots of resistance but we are a family restaurant and we cannot have our other customers feel uncomfortable to the point of them leaving and possibly not returning. I love my job because I love socializing, I like people and I like conversation, people for the most part and very easy to get along with and all they are asking for is some respect and to be dignified. My job is easy and I really never have many problems. At that, I'm a night Shift-Coordinator beside a bar and I really never run into problems.

Thank you for your time!
Pros
Free Lunches and great social aspect
Cons
No cons
burger king review
Cook (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCMarch 6, 2013
a typical day at burger king is fast, you are always on the move,it feels like your doing a million things at once.The management is okay, Any problems you have they may or may not deal with it,The managers do have there favorite employees which I don't agree with I think every employee should get treated the same,but that's not the case i also dont agree with the hours they give us, they hire new people everyday and cut back everyone's hours so that the new people have hours and how is someone supposed to live off 2 days a week? My co-workers are great.friendly and outgoing people,they are always willing to give you a hand when you need it,they are great people to work with.The hardest part about my job was the dishes,there would be piles and piles of dishes and it was very hard to find the time to do them.The most enjoyable part of my job is making the burgers,i love to work with my hands and i find it fun to make the burgers, i have learned working here that you must communicate with others,have a great attitude and when faced with a problem ask for help.
Pros
great people, free lunches
Cons
hours are bad, needs new managment
Great first job, fun, friendly, good
Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 30, 2014
A typical day at Burger King is knowing when the rush will hit and when to clean the dinning room.No customer wants to wait in line for a long period of time just waiting for the cashier to get back from cleaning. Between 12-2 and 5-8 we expected customers to be lined up to the door especially during whopper Wednesdays, greet all customers with a smile, thank them for choosing Burger King. In between rushed go out and clean as much as you can until the next rush. What I learned while working at Burger King is how to have good drive through times, every time I worked on drive-thru the crew in the back and I would tackle the challenge of getting the times we would get all of them in one day and it is rewarding to have a manager come up to us after a long day and tell us what an amazing job we had done. The hardest part of the job would have to be getting drive-thru times on our busy days like Wednesdays and Saturdays. The best part was the crew and the managers who always made going to work amazing and fun filled.
Pros
long hours, shifts were handed out reasonably, good managers
Cons
working for a corporation.
Fun workplace, though it lacks Organization
Cashier / Cook (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJanuary 14, 2015
I liked this job and it could have been great, but it lacked Organization. The hours were good and employees/customers were nice. But when it came to teaching things, it was all over the place. They put me in a station and taught me it, and that was all fine, but when they started to get me doing other things, like overnight shift, food prep (salads, macaroni), and doing Drive-thru or Front Cash, they just assumed I already knew it and wouldn't teach me how to do it or what to do unless i kept bugging them about it. It seemed like once they had me doing some work, they forgot about me and stopped treating me like I was new and didn't know what I was doing.
After finally learning all the stations the job got easier, but a lot of the employees weren't very reliable. Anywhere from constantly calling in sick (usually right before a shift) to not even showing up, I was able to pick up more hours because I was one of the few people always willing to cover a persons shift.
Pros
good experience, nice people
Cons
no organization, employees not reliable.
Productive and fun workplace
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 24, 2015
The fun part about working at Burger King is that I get a long with my team members and almost treat each other as a family. We share each others foods if a person brings their own meal to work and we also get discounts if you buy food at the store. My co-workers' hardworking skills are pretty contagious because I never really thought of myself as a hard worker until one of my co-workers told me. The hardest part of the job, for me, will always be the cleaning, especially closing hours, and some customers don't throw away their garbage, plus the soda or ketchup stains are hard to remove when cleaning the tables. Also, accidents can happen sometimes like, for instance, a customer spilled her/his drink, as an employee it is my responsible to keep the store clean and safe for other customers. Nevertheless, working as Burger King has been pretty enjoyable because the customers (specifically regular customers) are always nice and the best part of the job is greeting everyone with a smile :)
WorkPlace
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  London, ONJanuary 31, 2014
A typical day at work for me at Burger King is very well predictable. My duties are the same every single shift. Burger King is the second job I've ever had. Working in the fast food business has taught me quite a bit over the past few years. Most importantly I have gained skills that will help me with my future endeavours. I have learned and continue to learn day by day. I've learned what hard work means and where it gets you. I have worked with various types of managers. It's something that I have had to adapt to working there. I've worked with many diverse types of individuals. I would say that the hardest part of my job is the slow days. I enjoy being in a fast paced environment, I like to stay active and busy. At Burger King, it's more slow paced. The best part of my job is putting a smile on a customers face. I always strive to make a customers day better, and strive to make sure they had a pleasant and satisfying visit. Overall, it has been a great experience and working there has taught me a lot about the business, customers, and myself.
Always A Different Experience Everyday
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 19, 2013
I have learned from fifteen years of customer service in quick service restaurant and retail environments, that serving customers is not a right, it a privilege. To enjoy your job requirements you need to have good relationships with your clients and customers. This type of work is not for everyone, as it could be low paying and you could be working harder than most other industries. However your day goes, there is always periods of the day that are so busy you don't realize how fast the day goes, and you can always guarantee to have a great team of co-workers.

As for a managerial role, this is a fantastic learning experience for short and long term managers to gain valuable experience. You will learn to multi-task, make last minute decisions that will affect the rest of your day and develop interpersonal skills because you will be working and communicating with others of different ages, ethnic backgrounds and experience.

I highly recommend a career in hospitality or customer service to anyone looking for a career change.
Pros
learning experiences
Cons
demanding work
Exciting ,productive and fun work place with lots of characters
Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sydney , NSAugust 23, 2012
Typical work day was just crazy from the beginning of a shift until the end always something going on. If it could happen daily it did from staff shortages to unexpected mishaps but was very great and challaging . I learned to accept things as they are and to roll with the flow of any situations brought forth . I learned compassion and a very valuable lesson also that we really do learn something new everyday from the most unlikely people. My head managemment team was absolutly wonderful and supportive. My co-workers were very much team players and worked very hard to accomplish task and had alot of respect for our entire team and each other. The hardest part of my job was finding enough hours in the day to accomplish all the task I had to do yo meet my own expectations. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships I built with my staff and co-workers.
Pros
great staff parties and fanily days
Cons
long long work days but loved it
productive, happy people
CREW/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  KUWAITJuly 25, 2013
In burger king the typical day at work was so long.but most of the time we are also busy. This is my first time in fast food so i learned a lot start in delivery, weighing the grams hat you needed in your shift, how to cook beef patty, fries how to clean broiler, ice cream machine and so many things. the management of burger king was not really good because they cannot give the sometimes the benefits of their employee. my co worker are all good i enjoy being with them were are so happy if we see each other so time will past very easy. the hardest part of my job if sometimes we are lack of manpower so we need to sacrifice to be able to fill the time even we stay long hrs in the restaurant. The most enjoyable part of my work if we receive bonus and if we have party in the restaurant.
Pros
free one meal in your duty
Cons
Fun, friendly and productive work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Strathroy, ONJune 5, 2012
A typical day at work would include a lot of cleaning, food prep and joking around among staff and sometimes with customers if they start that type of a mood. I learned to open myself up at work and let other people into my life and let myself make friends. It was not only a workplace for me but a place to have fun with friends while serving customers. I think the customers appreciated the light mood when they came in and they always got their food quickly so they were kept happy and usually left in a better mood than they came in. The hardest part of the job was perhaps reading the schedule, or serving tour buses of people whose language I didn't speak. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely working with my coworkers as they became very good friends of mine.
Pros
free dinners on overnight shifts.
Cons
no free breakfast when you work the morning shift.
Fun and High-paced Place to work
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Port Hope Travel PlazaJanuary 22, 2014
I've overall had great experiences with Burger King, it's my first job so I really don't have anything to compare it too. I've learned a lot when it comes to how to appropriately act in a workplace. It's taught me how to deal with customers (friendly or aggravated), it's taught me the importance of customer service and time management. I feel like working at this job has helped me turn into a useful employee. I love working when it's really busy, I like higher paced activities. The hardest part of my job would definitely be trying to keep myself busy when it's a slower night. I have a really good relationship with my managers and co-workers.
Pros
overall high paced, friendly environment, lots of customers( i like dealing with people ), able to work longer shifts if needed.
Cons
inconvient place to get to, anytime there's storms or highway trouble its extremely slow, shift work (not a set schedule)
No pressure from my work as a Senior Assistant Manager
Senior Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Anaconda American Base (LSA), Balad, IraqJuly 21, 2013
1. Excited everyday because I like my job.
2. bASIC mANAGEMENT tRAINING, food hygiene, profit and loss, controlable, and the very important is to handle the staffs from different country and different culture and beliefs. I always remember when I am supervisor in KFC, I had 1 trainging manager from Egypt and always he told to that please remember respect the beliefs of other.
3. Management is okey, their are follow the labor law.
4. Terrific, my area and district manager, my supervisor, together all of my staffs is very supportive.
5. When the incoming attack from outside the base like mortar, RPG, and rockets, oh my god I dont know to my self how many times is happened.
6. When the long line from the counter, really because not only me are enjoy together all of my staffs because in my life, this is only the way to serve the people that very dedicated from their country.
Pros
free housing, transportation, and meals
Cons
rpg, mortar and rockets attacks.
Take orders, make food, serve customers, and clean restaurant
Cashier (Current Employee) –  torbramMay 29, 2013
A normal day at work would be that I would take orders either on drive thru or front cash, sometimes im in the kitchen so i cook the food and make the orders, and i help out a lot with expediting the orders to the customers and making sure we meet their expectations and give very good and polite service. I clean the dinning room and do other tasks like sweeping, washing dishes, helping others, making food preparations, mopping and emptying out the garbage.

I have learned a lot. From the first day i started i was very slow, but throught out that time all i knew was how to take orders, in my training i was never taught how to make food, which i learned on my own and now i am very fast at taking orders and making food. I can multitask many task at once and provide customers fast good service.
Pros
50 percent on food, friendly environment, good long shifts
Cons
salary, teamwork, staff was slightly lazy and dependent
Producative, fun workplace
Shift Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 5, 2013
Burger king is a kind of busy place. Day starts with less customers and its peak time is between 11 am to 1 pm. Its a fun place. I started here as a cashier and than promoted to shift coordinator. In my 2 years of experience here, I have learned how to manage the shifts including openings and closing, handling cash, dealing with customer care and their issues and complaints related to food, maintaining food hygiene, teaching and assisting staff in preparing and serving food.
I donot count anything as a hardest part of the job as by practice and learning I can maintain my speed of work but at the end of the day after completing 8 hours shift I usually get tired and the most enjoyable part is working in the drive thru. I usually have lots of fun at the that with co-workers.
Pros
yes i have a free meal there, bonus benefits
Cons
long shifts
A Great Learning Experience
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONAugust 28, 2014
Burger King is a fast food restaurant which means that everything moves at a fast pace on a typical working day. This restaurant has enhanced my ability to work in a team. All of the employees get a long well which makes working efficiently a lot easier. The managers ensure that each employee is at their work station and that they are doing what they need to be doing. Personally, the hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable for me which is making sure that customers get what the service they want. Every customer is different, and sometimes they have to be serviced differently. We aim to allow every customer to "have it their way". I've also learned to have patience, to be energetic and to smile throughout my work because if a customer sees how much I love what I do, then they will love the service they're receiving.
Pros
employee discount on meals
Cons
inflexible working hours
First Job
Cashier and Preparing Meals (Former Employee) –  Hawkesbury, ONJanuary 16, 2014
For first job, it was a good job. Took Them a while before they realised I was ready to be trained to work in the front (as in the cash register). I quit (October 2011) due to school but then reapplied ( April 2012) once school got a little easier. They gave me the hours I wanted and were very flexible. Towards the end I didn't really like working there. I find that there were a lot of health and safety violations, such as missing tiles, poor air ventilation in the summer, water enters when it rains (it pretty much rains inside the building), and a few other issues. The boss is nice and it was still a good first job.
Pros
learned customer service, fellow employees and supervisors were really nice, boss was nice, flexible hours
Cons
kitchen area needs repairs, roof needs repairs, front dinning area drink station needs repairs, and food was not free to employees
Working in Restaurant is a good experience becuase you will develop your skills inter act with different customer everyday.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  KuwaitJanuary 10, 2013
A typical day start in store preparation such as product availability and Quality,Service and Cleanliness of the store.What i learned from Burger King is as Assistant Manager to be manage the restaurant which is having a 4 segments such as Dine in,Take away Drive thru and Home delivery segment.Management is very supportive on their employee giving a more training in terms of customer service.The hardest part of the job is dealing with other nationalities specially the language barrier issue's in despite you need to be flexible and be patient as being part of your responsibility being a Assistant Manager.The most enjoyable part of the job you build a good relation harmony to your co worker and considering them being a friend or like a family.
Pros
having incentives or overtime.
Cons
no day off.
Exiting and fun work place, with many learning opportunities
Expeditor and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wasaga Beach, ONAugust 15, 2012
A typical day at work includes serving customers with meals and ensuring there satisfaction, cleaning the machines and restaurant, and being polite to each and every customer we serve. I learned how to use a cash register, valuable people skills, and responsibility skills. Also, I learned how to use most machines that are used in the fast-food business, such as fryers, ice cream makers, drink machines, etc. I got along very well with my coworkers and made many friends over the duration of the summer, since my position was seasonal. The most difficult part of the job was dealing with difficult customers who tried to pick a fight and get free food. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things, meeting new people, and accepting a lot of responsibility upon myself to get the job done to the best of my ability.
Pros
50% off discount
Good minimum wage position, but lacking hours or room for advancement in pay or position.
Line Cook, Cashier, Maintenance, Crew Trainer (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ONMay 8, 2015
Work consisted of either a back of house assignment (receiving orders from front of house, making the food, keeping kitchen stocked) or a front of house assignment (working the cash register, handling money, interacting with customers and keeping the dining room clean), whichever assignment I worked was decided by the floor manager based on need (typical workers were trained to do one, whereas I was trained to do both and filled in any gaps the manager had).

Management was a bit of a mixed bag, with the good managers being largely hired from floor employees. Managers hired out of house were almost uniformly inadequate for the position at best, and pure poison for the business at worst.
Pros
Pros: Well structured job, variety of work, management largely good
Cons
Cons: Few hours, little room to advance.