Burger King

Burger King Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun workplace
Shift Coordinator (Current Employee), Belleville, ONJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Free Lunches and great social aspect
Cons: No cons
A typical day of work consists of cash handling, face-face interaction with customers on a regular basis and you have to have great problem solving skills. Our number one goal is to ensure everybody leaves happy. I can usually tell if someone is having a horrible day and a terrible time with our services and its up to me as a Shift-Coordinator to ensure that I take the initiative and approach the customer appropriately and make sure they are taken care of. The management is great and and team work environment at times can get challenging but we all get through it at the end of the day. The hardest part of my job would be dealing with intoxicated customer and asking them to leave. There is lots of resistance but we are a family restaurant and we cannot have our other customers feel uncomfortable to the point of them leaving and possibly not returning. I love my job because I love socializing, I like people and I like conversation, people for the most part and very easy to get along with and all they are asking for is some respect and to be dignified. My job is easy and I really never have many problems. At that, I'm a night Shift-Coordinator beside a bar and I really never run into problems.

Thank you for your time!
Great co-workers, Busiest location, Odd management
kitchen worker (Former Employee), Nepean, ONMarch 18, 2014
Pros: made a lot of friends
Cons: abusive customers, no benefits
I worked at Burger King for an incredible 5 years, but It should have not lasted that long. Shortly after I worked there, I began to notice how strange the management was. My paychecks were getting smaller while working the same hours on a weekly basis and health and safety was visiting more often. After 3 years, a new manager came and she was strict and reduced all our hours saying it was going by sales and we were short-staff most of the time. Less than a year, another new manager and even more problems. He denied me breaks saying it was based on behavior and criticizing my personal life and making judgements when he was stressed and not having a good day. He dealt with difficult customers and stood up to them whenever they yelled at us. Unfortunately he died just over a year after taking over as manager. We all soon ended up quitting because things were getting worse because the franchisee group treated their employees badly, never paid overtime, and only cared about making money and never our safety at work. The franchisee group caved in and eventually sold the chain to an American company where they invested in new equipment and renovations.
Always A Different Experience Everyday
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Burlington, ONMarch 19, 2013
Pros: learning experiences
Cons: demanding work
I have learned from fifteen years of customer service in quick service restaurant and retail environments, that serving customers is not a right, it a privilege. To enjoy your job requirements you need to have good relationships with your clients and customers. This type of work is not for everyone, as it could be low paying and you could be working harder than most other industries. However your day goes, there is always periods of the day that are so busy you don't realize how fast the day goes, and you can always guarantee to have a great team of co-workers.

As for a managerial role, this is a fantastic learning experience for short and long term managers to gain valuable experience. You will learn to multi-task, make last minute decisions that will affect the rest of your day and develop interpersonal skills because you will be working and communicating with others of different ages, ethnic backgrounds and experience.

I highly recommend a career in hospitality or customer service to anyone looking for a career change.
burger king review
Cook (Current Employee), Maple Ridge, BCMarch 6, 2013
Pros: great people, free lunches
Cons: hours are bad, needs new managment
a typical day at burger king is fast, you are always on the move,it feels like your doing a million things at once.The management is okay, Any problems you have they may or may not deal with it,The managers do have there favorite employees which I don't agree with I think every employee should get treated the same,but that's not the case i also dont agree with the hours they give us, they hire new people everyday and cut back everyone's hours so that the new people have hours and how is someone supposed to live off 2 days a week? My co-workers are great.friendly and outgoing people,they are always willing to give you a hand when you need it,they are great people to work with.The hardest part about my job was the dishes,there would be piles and piles of dishes and it was very hard to find the time to do them.The most enjoyable part of my job is making the burgers,i love to work with my hands and i find it fun to make the burgers, i have learned working here that you must communicate with others,have a great attitude and when faced with a problem ask for help.
Great first job, fun, friendly, good
Cashier (Former Employee), London, ONMarch 30, 2014
Pros: long hours, shifts were handed out reasonably, good managers
Cons: working for a corporation.
A typical day at Burger King is knowing when the rush will hit and when to clean the dinning room.No customer wants to wait in line for a long period of time just waiting for the cashier to get back from cleaning. Between 12-2 and 5-8 we expected customers to be lined up to the door especially during whopper Wednesdays, greet all customers with a smile, thank them for choosing Burger King. In between rushed go out and clean as much as you can until the next rush. What I learned while working at Burger King is how to have good drive through times, every time I worked on drive-thru the crew in the back and I would tackle the challenge of getting the times we would get all of them in one day and it is rewarding to have a manager come up to us after a long day and tell us what an amazing job we had done. The hardest part of the job would have to be getting drive-thru times on our busy days like Wednesdays and Saturdays. The best part was the crew and the managers who always made going to work amazing and fun filled.
Fun workplace, though it lacks Organization
Cashier / Cook (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: good experience, nice people
Cons: no organization, employees not reliable.
I liked this job and it could have been great, but it lacked Organization. The hours were good and employees/customers were nice. But when it came to teaching things, it was all over the place. They put me in a station and taught me it, and that was all fine, but when they started to get me doing other things, like overnight shift, food prep (salads, macaroni), and doing Drive-thru or Front Cash, they just assumed I already knew it and wouldn't teach me how to do it or what to do unless i kept bugging them about it. It seemed like once they had me doing some work, they forgot about me and stopped treating me like I was new and didn't know what I was doing.
After finally learning all the stations the job got easier, but a lot of the employees weren't very reliable. Anywhere from constantly calling in sick (usually right before a shift) to not even showing up, I was able to pick up more hours because I was one of the few people always willing to cover a persons shift.
WorkPlace
CASHIER (Current Employee), London, ONJanuary 31, 2014
A typical day at work for me at Burger King is very well predictable. My duties are the same every single shift. Burger King is the second job I've ever had. Working in the fast food business has taught me quite a bit over the past few years. Most importantly I have gained skills that will help me with my future endeavours. I have learned and continue to learn day by day. I've learned what hard work means and where it gets you. I have worked with various types of managers. It's something that I have had to adapt to working there. I've worked with many diverse types of individuals. I would say that the hardest part of my job is the slow days. I enjoy being in a fast paced environment, I like to stay active and busy. At Burger King, it's more slow paced. The best part of my job is putting a smile on a customers face. I always strive to make a customers day better, and strive to make sure they had a pleasant and satisfying visit. Overall, it has been a great experience and working there has taught me a lot about the business, customers, and myself.
Exciting ,productive and fun work place with lots of characters
Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee), Sydney , NSAugust 23, 2012
Pros: great staff parties and fanily days
Cons: long long work days but loved it
Typical work day was just crazy from the beginning of a shift until the end always something going on. If it could happen daily it did from staff shortages to unexpected mishaps but was very great and challaging . I learned to accept things as they are and to roll with the flow of any situations brought forth . I learned compassion and a very valuable lesson also that we really do learn something new everyday from the most unlikely people. My head managemment team was absolutly wonderful and supportive. My co-workers were very much team players and worked very hard to accomplish task and had alot of respect for our entire team and each other. The hardest part of my job was finding enough hours in the day to accomplish all the task I had to do yo meet my own expectations. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships I built with my staff and co-workers.
Productive and fun workplace
Team Member (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 24, 2015
The fun part about working at Burger King is that I get a long with my team members and almost treat each other as a family. We share each others foods if a person brings their own meal to work and we also get discounts if you buy food at the store. My co-workers' hardworking skills are pretty contagious because I never really thought of myself as a hard worker until one of my co-workers told me. The hardest part of the job, for me, will always be the cleaning, especially closing hours, and some customers don't throw away their garbage, plus the soda or ketchup stains are hard to remove when cleaning the tables. Also, accidents can happen sometimes like, for instance, a customer spilled her/his drink, as an employee it is my responsible to keep the store clean and safe for other customers. Nevertheless, working as Burger King has been pretty enjoyable because the customers (specifically regular customers) are always nice and the best part of the job is greeting everyone with a smile :)
No pressure from my work as a Senior Assistant Manager
Senior Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Anaconda American Base (LSA), Balad, IraqJuly 21, 2013
Pros: free housing, transportation, and meals
Cons: rpg, mortar and rockets attacks.
1. Excited everyday because I like my job.
2. bASIC mANAGEMENT tRAINING, food hygiene, profit and loss, controlable, and the very important is to handle the staffs from different country and different culture and beliefs. I always remember when I am supervisor in KFC, I had 1 trainging manager from Egypt and always he told to that please remember respect the beliefs of other.
3. Management is okey, their are follow the labor law.
4. Terrific, my area and district manager, my supervisor, together all of my staffs is very supportive.
5. When the incoming attack from outside the base like mortar, RPG, and rockets, oh my god I dont know to my self how many times is happened.
6. When the long line from the counter, really because not only me are enjoy together all of my staffs because in my life, this is only the way to serve the people that very dedicated from their country.
Take orders, make food, serve customers, and clean restaurant
Cashier (Current Employee), torbramMay 29, 2013
Pros: 50 percent on food, friendly environment, good long shifts
Cons: salary, teamwork, staff was slightly lazy and dependent
A normal day at work would be that I would take orders either on drive thru or front cash, sometimes im in the kitchen so i cook the food and make the orders, and i help out a lot with expediting the orders to the customers and making sure we meet their expectations and give very good and polite service. I clean the dinning room and do other tasks like sweeping, washing dishes, helping others, making food preparations, mopping and emptying out the garbage.

I have learned a lot. From the first day i started i was very slow, but throught out that time all i knew was how to take orders, in my training i was never taught how to make food, which i learned on my own and now i am very fast at taking orders and making food. I can multitask many task at once and provide customers fast good service.
Working in Restaurant is a good experience becuase you will develop your skills inter act with different customer everyday.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), KuwaitJanuary 10, 2013
Pros: having incentives or overtime.
Cons: no day off.
A typical day start in store preparation such as product availability and Quality,Service and Cleanliness of the store.What i learned from Burger King is as Assistant Manager to be manage the restaurant which is having a 4 segments such as Dine in,Take away Drive thru and Home delivery segment.Management is very supportive on their employee giving a more training in terms of customer service.The hardest part of the job is dealing with other nationalities specially the language barrier issue's in despite you need to be flexible and be patient as being part of your responsibility being a Assistant Manager.The most enjoyable part of the job you build a good relation harmony to your co worker and considering them being a friend or like a family.
Good minimum wage position, but lacking hours or room for advancement in pay or position.
Line Cook, Cashier, Maintenance, Crew Trainer (Former Employee), Bowmanville, ONMay 8, 2015
Pros: Pros: Well structured job, variety of work, management largely good
Cons: Cons: Few hours, little room to advance.
Work consisted of either a back of house assignment (receiving orders from front of house, making the food, keeping kitchen stocked) or a front of house assignment (working the cash register, handling money, interacting with customers and keeping the dining room clean), whichever assignment I worked was decided by the floor manager based on need (typical workers were trained to do one, whereas I was trained to do both and filled in any gaps the manager had).

Management was a bit of a mixed bag, with the good managers being largely hired from floor employees. Managers hired out of house were almost uniformly inadequate for the position at best, and pure poison for the business at worst.
Exiting and fun work place, with many learning opportunities
Expeditor and Cashier (Current Employee), Wasaga Beach, ONAugust 15, 2012
Pros: 50% off discount
A typical day at work includes serving customers with meals and ensuring there satisfaction, cleaning the machines and restaurant, and being polite to each and every customer we serve. I learned how to use a cash register, valuable people skills, and responsibility skills. Also, I learned how to use most machines that are used in the fast-food business, such as fryers, ice cream makers, drink machines, etc. I got along very well with my coworkers and made many friends over the duration of the summer, since my position was seasonal. The most difficult part of the job was dealing with difficult customers who tried to pick a fight and get free food. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things, meeting new people, and accepting a lot of responsibility upon myself to get the job done to the best of my ability.
Fast-paced results driven and friendly workplace
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: free drinks on days you worked
A typical day at work involved coming in and getting ready to go before my shift so that I could start right on time without any delays. I managed customer orders, complaints/compliments, training of new staff for face-to-face interactions and preparation as well as presentation of all consumables. Here I learned how to manage my time efficiently to the customers benefit and the value of having a good instructor. The environment was very friendly I got along very well with all my coworkers and managers. The hardest part of my job was handling customer orders while teaching new staff to handle the orders but I heartily worked my way through without conflict. The most enjoyable part of my job was watching happy customers depart with their orders satisfied and new trainees working smoothly through new orders.
Fun and High-paced Place to work
Crew Member (Current Employee), Port Hope Travel PlazaJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: overall high paced, friendly environment, lots of customers( i like dealing with people ), able to work longer shifts if needed.
Cons: inconvient place to get to, anytime there's storms or highway trouble its extremely slow, shift work (not a set schedule)
I've overall had great experiences with Burger King, it's my first job so I really don't have anything to compare it too. I've learned a lot when it comes to how to appropriately act in a workplace. It's taught me how to deal with customers (friendly or aggravated), it's taught me the importance of customer service and time management. I feel like working at this job has helped me turn into a useful employee. I love working when it's really busy, I like higher paced activities. The hardest part of my job would definitely be trying to keep myself busy when it's a slower night. I have a really good relationship with my managers and co-workers.
A Great Learning Experience
Cashier (Current Employee), Brampton, ONAugust 28, 2014
Pros: employee discount on meals
Cons: inflexible working hours
Burger King is a fast food restaurant which means that everything moves at a fast pace on a typical working day. This restaurant has enhanced my ability to work in a team. All of the employees get a long well which makes working efficiently a lot easier. The managers ensure that each employee is at their work station and that they are doing what they need to be doing. Personally, the hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable for me which is making sure that customers get what the service they want. Every customer is different, and sometimes they have to be serviced differently. We aim to allow every customer to "have it their way". I've also learned to have patience, to be energetic and to smile throughout my work because if a customer sees how much I love what I do, then they will love the service they're receiving.
Fun, friendly and productive work environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Strathroy, ONJune 5, 2012
Pros: free dinners on overnight shifts.
Cons: no free breakfast when you work the morning shift.
A typical day at work would include a lot of cleaning, food prep and joking around among staff and sometimes with customers if they start that type of a mood. I learned to open myself up at work and let other people into my life and let myself make friends. It was not only a workplace for me but a place to have fun with friends while serving customers. I think the customers appreciated the light mood when they came in and they always got their food quickly so they were kept happy and usually left in a better mood than they came in. The hardest part of the job was perhaps reading the schedule, or serving tour buses of people whose language I didn't speak. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely working with my coworkers as they became very good friends of mine.
Customer Service /Kitchen duties
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Leamington, ONJuly 30, 2013
I am responsible for customer service duties including cash handling, operating a cash register, taking orders, food preparation and cleaning of restaurant. This job experience has been a positive one allowing me to work in a team setting and allowing me to gain knowledge and experience in a fast-food restaurant setting. I have learned to work under pressure in a fast paced environment. The hardest part of working for Burger King is when the restaurant is busy and we have to meet times that are set. Sometimes customers are not happy with their orders and this job has taught me to handle situations like this in a positive manner. Management at Burger King guides their employees well with all areas. The most enjoyable part is I have made some friends working here and this has been a good experience for me.
First Job
Cashier and Preparing Meals (Former Employee), Hawkesbury, ONJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: learned customer service, fellow employees and supervisors were really nice, boss was nice, flexible hours
Cons: kitchen area needs repairs, roof needs repairs, front dinning area drink station needs repairs, and food was not free to employees
For first job, it was a good job. Took Them a while before they realised I was ready to be trained to work in the front (as in the cash register). I quit (October 2011) due to school but then reapplied ( April 2012) once school got a little easier. They gave me the hours I wanted and were very flexible. Towards the end I didn't really like working there. I find that there were a lot of health and safety violations, such as missing tiles, poor air ventilation in the summer, water enters when it rains (it pretty much rains inside the building), and a few other issues. The boss is nice and it was still a good first job.
Headquarters