Bulk Barn Employee Reviews in Canada

Great Co-worker Environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 17, 2015
I was challenged to re-learn how to covert grams to kilograms to pounds. The job continuously made me use my brain power which was great, was not a boring cashier position. The job had its awesome perks like the Wilton instructor who taught and was one of the best, left her example desserts with the staff, was always icing on a cake:) It was a customer service oriented job serving people and adhering to the regiment and routine to keeping bins clean and free of debris, especially during the holiday season one person was in charge of staying on the floor helping customers find the items they needed and answer questions and of course keeping stations spotless. This was always commented on how the store was so clean. Hardest part of the job getting use to memorizing codes and telling the different between certain flours. The most enjoyable part of the job was to get to know the co workers and talk with customers.
good normal min wage job
Cashier/Stock Person (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 14, 2016
-basic customer service job
-learned about different products with experience
-hardest part is cash, just because of all of the different product codes
-most enjoyable part for me is stocking
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
slow shifts
Worst place I have ever worked
cashier and stock associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJune 8, 2016
This was the worst job I have ever worked at. The management was terrible, the staff was useless, and the pay wasn't good enough to justify what you have to put up with working there.
Bulk Barn Review
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Lindsay, ONSeptember 8, 2015
The job itself was a good job and a great first job, typically I was cleaning bins each night and also on cash, I have learned the majority of the codes for each product and all sales and promotions. The owners and manager were both very kind and were always there to give me time off or extra shifts if needed. My co-workers are also friendly and we can all get along and work as a team. The hardest part is matching products to a name when they look alike, and not knowing exactly what spice or flour the product could be. Lastly the most enjoyable part would be the regular customers who come in and chat or most customers in general, all are very kind and understanding.
Productive and learning setting
Cashier/Cassière (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 24, 2016
-Customers were very friendly and patient
-Manager took the time to know you
-Co-workers were very helpful with open hearts
-Codes were meant to be memorized
Pros
Customers and workplace
Cons
Inventory
productive and busy
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONApril 12, 2016
Lots of memorization needed, and working fast to clean store. Management was organized. Hardest part of the job was the fast environment, with customers and remembering all the codes before they got annoyed.
Place to learn different products name.
Customer Service Representative - Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 12, 2016
Flexible hours.
Good training provided.
Staff were good.
Learn different codes of the product.
Name of the product.
Clean store along with the bins.
Overview of Duties
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 21, 2016
-Usually 3-5 hours on cash
-Otherwise cleaning bins,totes,tubs etc.
-Facing products
-Memorization of Codes
-Filling spices and teas
-Providing customer service and advice on product
-Mopping floors
-Cleaning bathrooms
-Pricing items
Pros
Discounts within store and plaza
Cons
Supervisors are unfair
Working At Bulk Barn
Cashier & Shelf Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJanuary 15, 2015
When I worked at Bulk Barn, there were more negatives then there were positives. To begin with, each shift at Bulk Barn required a heavy amount of cleaning on top of dealing with customers who came in. Cleaning the shelves, the buckets, counter tops, floors and utensils were difficult to keep up while being able to go on cash consistently. These jobs were constant in every shift. Although most of the time I can handle stress well, working at Bulk Barn was a heavy workload for not a decent pay. Despite the hardships, a benefit of working there was being able to work fast paced in order to get all tasks finished on time and perfecting that skill by the end of my employment there. My co-workers were also a huge part as to why Bulk Barn was a successful job. This is mainly because I was well trained and I was able to keep up with their level of leadership, as well as further developing my own. To conclude, although having a few benefits, Bulk Barn was a very horrible place to work due to the heavy workload, horrible salary, and terrible managers.
Pros
great staff, fast paced
Cons
managers, workload, salary
Fun Workplace
Cashier, inventory (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 20, 2016
Coworkers were fun to work with, learned how to stock, use the cash register, learned more about customer service. Co-workers were fun to work with
Pros
Nice Coworkers
No opportunities available
Store operations (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ONJune 8, 2016
No effort for employee retention, always seems to try to bring talent in for higher prices rather than promote or train from within.
great teamwork
Stock Boy (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 25, 2016
Job requires alot of heavy lifting and gets tiring at times but the team keeps a great positive attitude which makes working easier
Very Fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 25, 2016
Great people to work with everyday was a great environment to work in. The job was easy and straight forward so its great for everyone.
helpin customers
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONFebruary 19, 2016
I would recommend anyone working here amazing small business with not a lot of co workers so the hours there great. for the little time I worked here I enjoyed when I was at work and was always busy so the time went by fast
N/A (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ONApril 12, 2016
Fantastic building and great employee perks, a great company to work for. The owner is great and he takes care of his employees.
Stocking
stock associate, my responsibilities (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCOctober 20, 2015
Typical work day: stock shelves and bins, assist customers.
Management: was okay, but would recommend more training for the assistant manager.
Co-workers: got along with everyone that i worked with.
Hardest part of the job: was probably the busy peak times when your stocking the shelves and you get called up to cash.
most enjoyable part: working while its slow.
Good and welcoming workplace
Cashier and Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONFebruary 24, 2016
Wonderful employees working together to provide amazing customer service. A thoroughly pleasant environment led by a flexible and helpful manager.
Administrative support to senior management, owners and stake holders
Supervisor Cashier / Customer Services (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 22, 2015
Administrative support to senior management and stake holders. Maintained inventory and pointed of sale. Solved customers problems.
a fun workplace
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  stratfordApril 22, 2014
it is not very often that you work in an environment where everyone gets a long. It is more of a family environment and we all care about each other greatly. We can laugh and joke with each other on a daily basis. My manager is one of the kindest, most giving person with a heart of gold.
I work very hard and give 100% and have learned quite a bit working there. I have done merchandising, ordering, banking as well as interviewing potential employees.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
no benefits and sometimes long hours
Fun and friendly work environment
Cashier/Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONNovember 17, 2015
Co-workers become like family and you have your regular customers who always put a smile on your face. There's a lot of cleaning to do on a daily basis and you always have to make sure the store is maintained to head offices' standards.