Bulk Barn Employee Reviews

Laughable
Stock clerk / cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 November 2017
Bulk barn empress location offered one of my worst experiences working yet. You would be constantly pulled to the back and have your job threatened for absurd things such as getting to know your co workers. If youre not 15 minutes early , your “late” which is a complete joke of a rule , there is hardly any free room to do your position and you will ge constantly watched on cameras all day long as well as pesterred about things that you have no control over.
Pros
Coworkers are great to work with
Cons
Literally everything else
Good for a first job
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Gatineau, QC8 November 2017
The hours aren't great and the company is painfully unorganized. You either get little to no hours or just barely under 40. There are no break rooms, no microwaves and although you work in a backroom with various heavy items, the company does not provide steel toed shoes for their workers as part of the uniform. All in all, its a good place to work for a first job.
Pros
coworkers can become your friends
Cons
little to no hours
fun
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 November 2017
Staff is great, friendly, and helpful, good location easy to get to, good customers, learn more about natural stuff also baking. Learn about different culture food
Bulk Barn
Cashier, Customer service (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC1 November 2017
Your typical day at Bulk barn with your co workers were fun and productive, I enjoyed helping my customers on daily basis. My co- workers felt like family.
Pros
Co-workers, Customers
Cons
Management and Short hours
Unorganized
Retail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON25 October 2017
It was a self managed Bulk Barn with poor management. I was depended on for all customer service and stocking with coffee, spices, candy, and moving shipments in. I constantly found myself doing other peoples jobs. It was completely unorganized but due to the politeness and the opportunity i learned a lot from this experience in the field of stocking items, checking for expiry dates, cleaning, and working under pressure.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Poor managment
Bulk foods for old people
Stock/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 October 2017
A normal day at bulkbarn is lots of older people buying bulk foods and highschool kids making a mess. The staff had a good bond and worked really well together. Management was a little full of themselves and did not take great care of the employees.
Terrible Experience.
Supervisor / Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 October 2017
Overall, I did not like working here. The employees were not nice, for the amount of work you do, you do not get paid enough and the management was terrible.
good place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Swift Current, SK13 October 2017
Bulk Barn is a good place to work. The staff are friendly and the store is kept very, very clean. Everyone who works there is responsible for the cleanliness of the store and is also responsible for customer service. The customers are great and they encompass all types of people.
I love that everyone cleans, does cash, and customer service. At bulk barn, there is always something to do and the time just flies by.
Pros
Exposure to new products and some of the nicest people in town shop there
bulkbarn
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rockland, ON10 October 2017
Good part time job. Learned a lot about managing to cash/computer system and costumer service. Overall fun place to work part time but demanding as always on feet and a lot of cleaning
blah
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 October 2017
typical day at work is listening to people talk bad about you behind your back, I learned that people are cruel, management is part of the problem. the hardest part of the job was coming in and knowing that you are not part of the family. the most enjoyable part of the job was leaving.
Pros
hours
Cons
everyone talks about you
Fun place
Customer Service & Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON3 October 2017
Felt like family. Flex hours. Needs better staff/ management communication. Dental would be nice. More hours. Better QA/ across multiple stores. Great promotions for consumers to drive sales.
Pros
Felt like home
Cons
wage/hours
fun atmosphere and great staff
Assistant Gerant (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC23 September 2017
great job to start. if you are determined and ready to work there is possibility to move up the chain of command and the staff is very friendly and work environment is fun and exciting.
Productive company
Customer service clerk (Current Employee) –  London, ON20 September 2017
various tasks to be done
physically demanding
friendly atmosphere
management helpful
customers are friendly
good work environment
easy to travel to
Pretty good
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Midland, ON19 September 2017
Great place to work. Management and Head Office people are great to work with. Cleaning to a big part of the job but that is expected as it is a food establishment. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you work with. Everyone is super helpful towards each other and is willing to step in if you don't know something.

The workplace culture is great. They focus on helping the customer find what they need and possible alternatives or suggestions. Don't worry you learn it as you go.
Pros
Wonderful employees and management.
Cons
A lot of cleaning, but that is expected
alright job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS18 September 2017
Cashier positions are only give to girls; cashiers need to memorize as many 4-6 digit codes as they can to make checking people out faster; every month you get quizzed on how many product codes you know, if you do good your fine but if you do bad you re-enter the training stage.
A bulk of..
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 September 2017
A typical day at work consisted of the doing the same things over and over again. You lift heavy boxes all day and you have to move fast. I learned that you just got to do the job and get it over with. Management was the worst. She had OCD and over worked everyone. Workplace culture; there wasn't any. I've never worked somewhere in my life where people just went to work and left. The hardest part of the job is keeping on weight because your doing so much movement and heavy lifting that you probably need more intake of calories. The stress is always high since you need to constantly need to finish a thousand things. The pay is not competitive considering all the heavy lifting one does and all the responsibilities given. The enjoyable part is talking to the seniors that come in on Wednesday.
Cons
Pay doesn't match workload
good place to work
cashier/ supervisor (Current Employee) –  Welland, ON8 September 2017
Bulk barn is a great environment to work in, everyone there is great and there is very little drama. sometimes it doesnt even feel like you are coming into work
Trash equipment and lazy staff
Stock/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 September 2017
Individuals spent more time in the back on their phones talking to friends and family than doing their actual jobs. This lead to work being handed down to Stock members who already have a lot in their hands. Most of the equipment is broken. Owner barely supplies the store with cleaning material. Break room is a compact washroom with a broken toilet. Guys work stock girls worked cash so we basically had to do the "dirty" work and heavy lifting. Lucky for me I was able to work with the most hard working and kind stock members who just so happened to be those I grew up with. Memories were made despite the lowest of lows. If they still work there you will know who they are. They will change your POV entirely just being in their presence.

Safety and cleanliness isn't priority there. They wont insure you if you work stock because youlll never work full time. They will make you work short shifts with heavy work loads. On a very rare day youll do as much as Cashiers.
Pros
Cons
You make do with the garage equipment they give you.
Enjoyed happy customers and coworkers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 September 2017
Management is okay. If you "click" with them, you will do well. This can provide a toxic environment. Sometimes belittles staff members on very basic things. Culture here can be sexist.

I found learning the codes for items helped with my memory. I met a lot of fabulous coworkers here.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Low pay
fun and organized workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 September 2017
A typical day at work was cleaning bulk food bins, helping customers & working the till. I learned how to look up different bulk products and I also learned about different kinds of foods/products. Management was good, I had no problems and enjoyed working there. Bulk Barn was a friendly and fun environment! The hardest part of the job was looking up different foods/products and not being able to find them, as well as making the customer wait while I hunted down the codes for everything they were purchasing. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people and the great environment.
Pros
organized, clean, friendly
Cons
heavy lifting