Bulk Barn Employee Reviews

Worst place I have ever worked
cashier and stock associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB8 June 2016
This was the worst job I have ever worked at. The management was terrible, the staff was useless, and the pay wasn't good enough to justify what you have to put up with working there.
Would Recommend
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON22 March 2016
Typical day: vacuum all bins, clean all bins, help customers throughout shift, help on 2nd cash throughout shift, set up sale items at end of night

Learned: cleanliness

Management: some good, some not so good; owner's are terrifying

Co-workers: friendly, good people

Hardest part: making sure everything is spotless so that we don't get in trouble

Best part: the people I worked with
Pros
Working with great people
Cons
Getting hit on by creepy old men; strict rules
bulk barn
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB3 May 2016
I find that the Management was very poor, but it was very clean due to everyone cleaning whenever possible.

we had to clean scoop every few hours. swept under all the bins, washed the floors every night before we left the store.

Co-workers were amazing beside when if came to the mangers because the never did anything.
Fast pace, friendly environment with helpful coworkers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 July 2016
Working at Bulk Barn I learned how to work quickly and efficient under pressure independently as well as as a team to get the needs of the customers met and satisfied. I learned how to problem solve on my own such as finding the codes and products I was not familiar with for the customers.
Pros
great environment, friendly coworkers, learning experiences
Cons
non flexible hours
Fun, exciting, great place to work!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 December 2016
Amazing people to work with, everyone is very nice! It does get a little hard, but becoming friends with everyone that works there makes the day go by much faster.
Pros
free food, friendly people
Cons
Managment is sometimes confusing
It was a great place to work for a while.
Cashier and Stock (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 February 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed the majority of my time at Bulk Barn. Up until new management arrived the typical day would be, you clock in, greet your fellow employees, and either stock product or cash out customers. I refined my customer interaction and up selling skills in my time here. I excelled at being a cashier fairly quick. My coworkers were great. You could comfortably work with any of them without feeling like your being judged. There were two coworkers who came into the workplace around the new year who would constantly berate a majority of the employees in front of other employees while the employee of topic wasn't there. I would have to say keeping an upbeat attitude while working with either of those two was the hardest part of the job. Truth be told that was still fairly simple. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the great people I was working with and interacting with the variety of customers who came from all walks of life. Some of the stories I've heard from the more regular customers were really quite inspiring.
Pros
Flexible workplace
Cons
Slightly abusive employer
Very reliable business to grow with
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 August 2016
This business is a great first job, many chances to grow and advance with the company. The staff has great training skills, and are very understanding. And they are very flexible with your schedule.
Pros
amazing staff
Cons
lots of cleaning
Fun Workplace
Cashier, inventory (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 April 2016
Coworkers were fun to work with, learned how to stock, use the cash register, learned more about customer service. Co-workers were fun to work with
Pros
Nice Coworkers
Store Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 April 2016
just as the title says. I enjoyed my time working for Bulk Barn, the Manager was awesome both as a boss and as a coworker who would go out of his way to make sure you're okay inside work and out. Same goes for the owner of the store as well, a couple of months after I left he called me personally to see how I was doing and even sent me a gift for my newborn child after finding out. The coworkers were more like friends and family and everyone goes out of their way to help each other every day. There are few jobs that I would go back to and this is one of them
Pros
everything
Cons
occasional bad customers
productive and busy
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON12 April 2016
Lots of memorization needed, and working fast to clean store. Management was organized. Hardest part of the job was the fast environment, with customers and remembering all the codes before they got annoyed.
fun and friendly work environment
Stock Person (Current Employee) –  Fort Erie, ON12 September 2016
hen I get to work I get a run down on how the day was and then I get my list of things I have to do that night. I fill the tubs and barrels and then I clean and then I do more stock work if there is time
Dealing with the puplic
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 July 2016
I was a cashier. learned a lot about bulk foods. The new manager was hard to deal with. Loved working with my co-workers. Filling the bins and spices was hard. Had to be careful with the spices if you got it in your eyes with some of them it burned. The most enjoyable part was working with the puplic.
Pros
Working with bulk foods
Cons
The hours
Nice place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL1 October 2016
Very laid back atmosphere but fun environment. Great getting discounts of products in the store. Overall a great experience in retail customer service.
Pros
Discounts on products
Cons
I like to work with great people and help peopleout the best i can.
Stock boy , clean mop floors (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON21 July 2016
I like learning while at work and helping people. it's always enjoyable when you like the people you work with. I like helping customers
Hard work with minimal praise or rewards.
Jr. District Manager (Current Employee) –  Various14 April 2016
A lot of appreciate the company that gave me the opportunity to advance my life, but positive feedback was always minimal. You were expected to work 10-12 hours a day, the ability to have a social life is tough. No rewards or motivation to do well, you need to be self motivated and be able to grind through challenging, even impossible circumstances. Must be mentally strong. Love my co-workers
Pros
Travel
Cons
Frequent 12 plus hour days
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 July 2016
I think that the most enjoyable part about working at Bulk Barn is getting to use my expertise in Gluten-free living to help customers. I was able to connect with customers and help them with their allergies.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
Distance from home
Easy going and relaxed workplace with cleaning and customer service as a priority
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON7 May 2016
A typical day includes time on cash, doing face-to-face transactions with a variety of customers, maintaining the cleanliness of all product in the store, maintaining the floor displays of product. We are also assigned different tasks before closing to make sure the store is in pristine condition for the following morning.If working early in the morning, product is rotated so all of the older product is sold first to keep most food fresh still.

I've learned through working as a supervisor here to not bring personal matters into the workplace as it can be reflected in the given work ethic whether it's been noted in my own or in others.

Hardest part of the job is finding more to do if you get ahead of schedule, however it is always easy to find something to do.

Cleaning is high priority as you deal with food on a daily basis. There is a high standard for cleanliness.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction one gets to have with the large variety of clientele. Along with that is the incredibly friendly staff on hand at all times making all new employees feel welcome.
Pros
Flexible hours and scheduling
Cons
Some lack focus on their work
A great place to work
Employee (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON24 July 2016
Bulk Barn is a great company to work for depending on the time of year the store is super busy or not to busy at all. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people find all of their cooking needs and snacks
love working there
Store Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 June 2016
they have the best managers. the day goes by fast, it is a good job because we gets a discount on products and i like to lift and moves stuff that is heavy since im a workout monkey.
hardest part of job is doing cashier since theres are hundreds of codes to know, easiest part is everything else
Fun place to work with great people
SUPERVISOR/CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC3 February 2016
I love the people I work with on a daily basis, the place has become like a small family. The customers are usually pretty great, with many returning time and time again. The manager is fantastic, she's caring and tries her best to keep everyone happy.
Pros
My coworkers, and the experience I've gained
Cons
no room for growth, no benefits, no discount

2.8