Bulk Barn Employee Reviews

good place to if you wish to advance your self in a work environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC26 October 2016
Fun place to work

Always something to do to keep busy

long days

lots of cleaning

hardest part of the job is all the different codes to remember

most enjoyable part all the new items that come in for holidays
Pros
Discount on wednesdays
Learning experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hawkesbury, ON17 October 2016
Bulk barn was my first job. honestly not too bad of a place to work other than the fact that corporate doesnt care too much about their employees and have very high expectations. If you aren't very organized or willing to clean a lot, bulk barn is not for you. Do not reccomend as a first job because being a cashier requires a lot of memorization and focus to recognize products and codes. But overall its a good learning experience and I have no regrets working there. I quit because school and work were getting too much to handle.
Pros
good learning experience, yummy candy, solid work routine, decent hours, made some friends with coworkers
Cons
corporate, stressful during the weekends, cash is harder than usual cash job, intense cleaning routine
work with nice people
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 October 2016
It is a very busy store, we do lots of cleaning. I work in all parts of the store, stock, cash , opening and closing the store and help in training new staff.
Pros
it is close to my home and the staff is friendly
Cons
no breaks, and long hours.
Fast-paced and customer oriented environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2017
A typical work day included work on the cash registers, cleaning the store (barrels, shelves, cash registers, etc), filling stock products on delivery days and from overstock products kept in the backroom, organizing the backroom, putting products on display in visually appealing ways, facing products, and nightly cleaning (washing scoops, sweeping, mopping).
Productive and fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON24 February 2017
Bulkbarn is a great place to work if you want to keep busy throughout your entire shift. There is always work to do around the store and the time always flies when I am there. The employees are great people and I get along with them very well. The hardest part of the job is to maintain its cleanliness. We are always very busy so things get messy very quickly.
Interesting people to work with, not very productive team.
Cashier/sales associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON27 January 2017
When working at the location that I was employed at, I found the team was not as productive as they could be. Work was usually left for the night shifts to complete before closing. Everyone was nice to one another but the work habits were questionable.
Pros
Interesting experience
Cons
Unproductive coworkers
Enjoyed my experance
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB18 February 2017
Being a general stocker, part-time, I enjoy how this job turned out. People were pleasant to work with. It is a good entry job for those wanting to try in life, i do not encourage it for those who slack. I learned managing product stocking, customer service, and janitorial skills. The job is also more self motivated base, not a lot of supervision.
decent place to work
cashier (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS13 March 2017
i enjoyed the job, but the supervisors at my location were not very good and broke a lot of rules. Their careless training and breaking of rules resulted in termination of my position.
Pros
nice customers
Cons
supervisors and managers did not care greatly about employees
Bulk Barn
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON12 December 2016
Working for Bulk Barn was an okay experience. I suggest it as a first time job as there is no hours to be given. Everyday consisted of cleaning every counter, and every product lid and scoop. Cleanliness is very important in these stores.
Pros
Some of the staff members I worked with were amazingly friendly, patient and helpful.
Cons
Lack of hours, no room to move up in the company, and the owners are generally intimidating.
Productive Environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS31 January 2017
Bulk Barn is a fun place to work, but the down side to working here is having to clean everything everyday. I understand it has to be sanitary but once a day is fine not multiple times a day.

Other than that everything else was fun and I loved the other employee's.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Cleaning the bins, every single day
Entry level jobs
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  British Columbia24 November 2016
The company is an entry level job company there is very minimal perks to working for Bulk Barn. As a corporate employee you feel less important and more of an inconvenience. Wage increases do not happen, The people in individual stores make a difference but as a corporation it is less then enjoyable.
Pros
I get a paycheck
Cons
I get a small paycheck
Worst place to work!
Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montreal-nord, QC10 June 2016
This is the worst company I have ever worked for. There are no chances of salary augmentation, No employee room to sit and eat, No microwave, No fridge, No insurance, No employee discounts, they offer absolutely nothing. Employees are treated really bad and are not allowed to complain. But recently a friend of mine who still works at one of their stores told me that some of the bulk barn store are now unionized. Good gob for whoever accomplished that because this company needed it!.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Hours are unstable. Hours keep getting cut
Happy, productive environemt great company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC9 January 2017
Had a wonderful time working for this company, always had great coworkers, flexible schedule and interesting customers. Team building was very important, no one was ever left to do a job they felt they could not handle and the owner took great care of the employees
Productive and fun work place
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2017
Bulk Barn is a great environment to work at. Not only is it a fun and productive workplace, the employees themselves make me feel so welcome. We created a bond and now we're a family. Teamwork and trust are what I developed while working there.
Great place for a first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON9 January 2017
It was great working here, working on the responsibility of cleaning. Making sure everything is sanitary, working on learning the duties of a cashier. Knowing how to use my communication skills to help customers, how to deal with stressful situations or busy days and how to work as a team.
Good atmosphere, good place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB21 December 2016
Always lots to be done, especially cleaning and stocking. Customer service is important but the stores are not shopped heavily except during holidays, so minimal customer service. Lots of variety in products and therefore there is a big learning curve.
Pros
Variety of work
Cons
Heavy lifting
awesome
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON21 January 2017
amazing staff, great life skills, cleaning and stocking shelves, handling cash and returns, dealing with customers to help find their way, knowing the poduct codes in the store, being able to work as a team.
Pros
working with friendly staff and customers
Cons
not enough hours
Great Job
Employee (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 March 2017
It was my first real job, and I have to say it was a very enjoyable place to work, and I definitely would suggest the job to anyone. Great staff, great environment.
Pros
Nice People
Cons
Temptation for candy
Was able to work with old friends while making new great friends.Good training.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON19 July 2016
Performed a variety of different tasks.
Everything was always changing, so forced us to adapt quickly and often.
Was within walking distance.
Hard to bus to though.
Great co-workers.
Pros
Great training, made great lifelong friends.
Cons
Management was not great. And Favouritism.
easy fun place to work
Shelf Stocker and product placer (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB13 January 2017
I enjoyed working at bulk barn. Very respectable staff to work with. Very fun times here and always got some good advice from the funny and polite customers. I loved this job a lot
Pros
easy job
Cons
hard job

2.8