Bulk Barn

Bulk Barn Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun for a single man with nothing holding you down
LEAD MERCHANDISER (Former Employee), Richmond hill/Travel abroadFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: a lot of traveling across canada
Cons: long under payed hours, no social life
The people themselves were great. Everybody was respectful and professional. But it being a family own business you can't expect advancement within the company unless your long time friends with the owners.

If you are on the road crew as I was you will have a lot of fun on the road but prepare for very long hours with little free time and even less sleep.

However if you work in the warehouse and rest assured you will be, road crew or not. You will be stuck in a cluttered warehouse with no windows and non-stop repetitive tasks.
Don't apply here if you are looking for long term work
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONJanuary 19, 2014
This job is best suited for anyone not looking to advance in a company. It offers little to no career advancement.
Do not expect full time hours, pay raises, benefits, or flexible schedules.
Friendly Place for students
STOCK CLERK (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
I applied as a high-school student looking for part-time work. I was accepted with open arms and enjoyed my time there. Management is friendly and understanding, hours are flexible and manageable. 4 out of 5
Great workmates, terrible management
Customer Service (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 12, 2014
Pros: workmates cheer you up in difficult times. most are willing to help
Cons: the manager, inconvenient shifts, moody management will ruin your work environment
Before I start, let me make one thing very clear: If you happen to work with a short, blonde, chubby lady, try AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE not to screw up. She will start hating on you and treating you like a mere slave. Eventually she will get rid of you, unless you talk to her constantly, thus earning her sympathy.

Bulk Barn wasn't a bad place to work at, co-workers were extremely friendly and supervisors were caring and understanding. Get ready to do some intense cleaning, lifting heavy stuff and dealing with customers, because that's mainly what you will be doing.

Work hours are pretty limited, get ready to stay from times like 7pm-11pm and early in the morning, otherwise you don't stand a chance of staying.

Can't forget the back issues I've gotten from all the bending and lifting heavy stuff, be careful with that, its super painful and nobody really cares as long as you're getting your tasks done.

Overall, it's better than Timmies, McDonalds and such fast-food places, but honestly, it's definitely not the greatest place to work at.
good place to work
OWNER OPERATOR (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSJanuary 8, 2014
Productive work place with friendly people and good hours.Good interaction with customers. Pay was also great
awesome place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Dixie and DundasNovember 26, 2013
Pros: awesome staff/management
Cons: not enough hours
The only reason i left this position was because i could not make ends meet working here.
Nice company to work for.
Head Superviser (Current Employee), Simcoe, ONNovember 24, 2013
Owner is an amazing person.Co-workers are fun. No hard parts to the job. Most enjoyable part is the employees.
horrible management skills and dirty work enviroment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Welland, ONOctober 3, 2013
Pros: employment discount
Cons: the manager
- a typical day at work.
no management, the store was controlled by teenagers.
- what i learned.
in my experience i learned how to deal with customers as well as co-workers.
-Management.
Horrible management skills, the manager was in moral, and did not look after the store.
- Co-Workers
Kind people, fun and smart.
-Hardest part of the Job
Having to listen about putting dirty food back into the bin.
-The most enjoyable part of the Job
Working with the people. Also the long hours i received.
friendly coworkers everyone was nice and like a friend
Cashier (Former Employee), Belleville, ONSeptember 2, 2013
Pros: working in the mall was nice
Cons: the owner of the store was not nice to the employees and belittled them
i enjoyed working here there was always something to do something to clean someone who needed help finding something. I learned product codes and became very efficent in identifying products and remembering tehir unique 4 didgit codes. I was fast on the cash and customers enjoyed my line.
Very fun place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 23, 2013
I loved everyone I worked with and there was always something to do.
Fun environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Hawkesbury, ONAugust 20, 2013
A quiet store with a lot of familiar faces. The co-workers where easy to work with in the friendly environment that was created
Great Enviorment
Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 15, 2013
Pros: great people, great enviorment
Cons: hard to understand co-workers
With Target being so new to Canada is was a great way to see how Target was going to show how multi-cultural it can be. While working at Target I worked in the Electronic department, as well as all over the store when a guest was in need of assistants. The management of the store was one of the best i have seen. As target was new i was hired to before start up which ment we needed to build up the store, from putting up shelves to setting up product. The first couple weeks as we were doing set up the managment team made sure there was drinks in the fridge and as well bought lunch about 75% of the time. The best part of the job was how everyone got along, well most of the time. the harest part was because of how cultural Target was, some co-workers was hard to understand.
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Supervisor and Cashier (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBAugust 7, 2013
A typical day at the Bulk Barn involved cleaning the store in order to ensure its cleanliness and sanitary. Some days the morning would be spent on cash, carrying out debit, credit and cash transactions while carrying out a friendly conversation with the customer.
I learned that the impression you leave with a customer is very valuable and reflects on the store itself. I pride myself on my relationships with customers throughout the day and regular basis customers.
Management new what they were doing and had a very effective system in place. Co-workers were easy to get along with and all helped add to the friendly environment that Bulk Barn has created.
Hardest part of the job for myself would be trying to get nightly tasks done to perfection on a busy night, without having to make the staff stay later to ensure the job was done properly.
The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers and seeing them leave with a smile on their face.
Scare Tactics Used
Customer Service (Former Employee), OntarioJune 25, 2013
Pros: decent pay
Cons: obscure hours and management with mood swings
If you are able to keep your head down and out of sight from management, you can build some good co-worker relationships in the corporate environment.
Fun place to work, Friendly environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJune 1, 2013
A typical day at work was organizing the store, stocking the shelves, cleaning, and serving customers. I learned to deal with many different people, and how a store is properly ran. Management was well organized and trained. Coworkers were very friendly, I got along with everyone there. Hardest part of the job was the occasional heavy lifting, but great coworkers were there to help. Most enjoyable part of the job was the gratitude shown by appreciative customers.
OK for a first job
Supervisor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 1, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, good staff
Cons: can't move up in the company, no raise in 3 years (some staff haven't had a raise in 5)
-A lot of cleaning around the store.
-Friendly staff.
-Requires lifting heavy bags to refill stock.
great people and exciting workplace
Stock Person (Current Employee), Saskatoon SkMay 31, 2013
Pros: the sales
Cons: evening shifts are bad
great and will continue to work there as long as possible and
Fun work place staff are like a big family
Supervisor (Former Employee), Thunder BayMay 30, 2013
Pros: the people i work with and customer
best place to work, great staff, good hours, great managment, learned many new things every day, including cash, team building skills ect. the managment was amazing treats every staff the same down to earth, understanding. co workers are like family fun to work with reliable, the hardest part of the job was not snacking on to many goodies, the most enjoyible part was working with lots of people and customers and putting a smile on someones face everyday
Good owners and bosses
Supervisor/ Key Holder (Former Employee), alliston and orangevilleMay 2, 2013
Pros: happy go lucky place
Cons: not willing to save hard working employees
very clean and happy people, served customers and handled cash, filled up bins with product and solved customer problems, opened store and closed store did final cash closing for shift
Bulk Barn
Cashier/ Inventory Clerk (Former Employee), Vernon, BcApril 27, 2013
Uniform on, going up an down the aisle flipping scoops and making sure the top of the bin are clean , as its a bulk foods store. I was always first cashier , handling money an speaking with the customers as i was checking an weighing there items of purchase.