Bulk Barn Employee Reviews

Fun, exciting, great place to work!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 December 2016
Amazing people to work with, everyone is very nice! It does get a little hard, but becoming friends with everyone that works there makes the day go by much faster.
Pros
free food, friendly people
Cons
Managment is sometimes confusing
Some good, some bad
Corporate Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Canada25 November 2016
There are some great people that work for the Bulk Barn corporate office. Alternatively Bulk Barn tends to employ a number of "friends" into jobs where they are really not qualified for or just feel so entitled they don't do their jobs.
Entry level jobs
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  British Columbia24 November 2016
The company is an entry level job company there is very minimal perks to working for Bulk Barn. As a corporate employee you feel less important and more of an inconvenience. Wage increases do not happen, The people in individual stores make a difference but as a corporation it is less then enjoyable.
Pros
I get a paycheck
Cons
I get a small paycheck
Coworkers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON11 November 2016
Get along with them nicely, though not much advancement and always doing the same thing with no new learning

Enjoy talking with customers and learn new things from them with the products they buy
Productive and enjoyable work environment
Stock Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 October 2016
Working with bulk barn I have acquired more skills in leadership and delegation of tasks. I work hand and hand with the franchisee and merchandise the store on a regular basis. I make executive decisions with the store product, such as sell off of inventory, creating sale items, and adding and removing products from the sales floor. The most enjoyable part of the workplace is the leadership of people looking up to me, and being able to create a productive and enjoyable workplace for others, while monitoring efficiency and customer care.
good place to if you wish to advance your self in a work environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC26 October 2016
Fun place to work

Always something to do to keep busy

long days

lots of cleaning

hardest part of the job is all the different codes to remember

most enjoyable part all the new items that come in for holidays
Pros
Discount on wednesdays
Learning experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hawkesbury, ON17 October 2016
Bulk barn was my first job. honestly not too bad of a place to work other than the fact that corporate doesnt care too much about their employees and have very high expectations. If you aren't very organized or willing to clean a lot, bulk barn is not for you. Do not reccomend as a first job because being a cashier requires a lot of memorization and focus to recognize products and codes. But overall its a good learning experience and I have no regrets working there. I quit because school and work were getting too much to handle.
Pros
good learning experience, yummy candy, solid work routine, decent hours, made some friends with coworkers
Cons
corporate, stressful during the weekends, cash is harder than usual cash job, intense cleaning routine
work with nice people
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 October 2016
It is a very busy store, we do lots of cleaning. I work in all parts of the store, stock, cash , opening and closing the store and help in training new staff.
Pros
it is close to my home and the staff is friendly
Cons
no breaks, and long hours.
Nice place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL1 October 2016
Very laid back atmosphere but fun environment. Great getting discounts of products in the store. Overall a great experience in retail customer service.
Pros
Discounts on products
Cons
fun and friendly work environment
Stock Person (Current Employee) –  Fort Erie, ON12 September 2016
hen I get to work I get a run down on how the day was and then I get my list of things I have to do that night. I fill the tubs and barrels and then I clean and then I do more stock work if there is time
Comfortable work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 September 2016
Everyone there is very friendly. I always had a great time working there with such fun people. Everyone there is close almost like family. There is always something to do there with constant cleaning and tiding up between customers.
Pros
reasonable salary, good management
Cons
not enough hours
Busy, yet simple work.
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 August 2016
A lot of carrying around large bags of bulk food and putting them into the correct bins. Demands some level of organizational skill and ability to repeat the same task over and over. Everyone was neatly managed and knew what they should do for the day, while offering assistance to anyone else if required. The hardest part of the job was keeping track of all the differently labelled boxes and bags in the back storage.
Bulk Barn
Supervisor/ Stock (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 August 2016
While Bulk Barn has Corporate and franchise locations I am currently with a corporate location that had just opened this January (2016).
I have learned a lot of this company and what it takes to run this type of store. It requires quite a bit of patience and integrity; with that i have grown more than I thought possible.
My co-workers are like family there is always different types of personalities which one must accept even if not likable.
We currently have about eight people working here which at times is "trying" due to not enough people to cover shifts and overload of expectations from head office.
On the bright side Management does make attempts to have an easy going environment, until it becomes to laid back. I believe there should be staff meetings which there has not been one.
I enjoy the cleaning of shelves and organizing of new and old product. The customers are also an enjoyment as we have some great regulars. I also enjoy keeping busy and there is always something to do at Bulk Barn!
Pros
Great experience for my resume
Cons
Supervisor pay is twenty five cents more than minimum wage.
Worst place to work
Cashier/Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC20 August 2016
After 5 years of service, and multiple requests for raises I have received nothing. Corporate demands hard working service, but then refuses to pay its employees for that service. I've been stuck at minimum wage since day one of employment. I do not recommend getting a job here or supporting this store. Management is corrupt and should be changed.
Cons
Relaxed and understanding employees and great co-workers.
Stock/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON10 August 2016
Part-time employees get most of the night shifts (4-9:30) and so you end up closing the store. This includes facing the isles, sweeping and moping the floors, doing returns, etc. When you are not closing the store you are either stocking or cashing out customers. The staff are great but sometimes you end getting a lot of food on your clothes. Would not recommend job to people with nut allergies since there are a lot of nuts in the store.
Pros
Great people and close-knit crew
Cons
No employee benefits
Very reliable business to grow with
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 August 2016
This business is a great first job, many chances to grow and advance with the company. The staff has great training skills, and are very understanding. And they are very flexible with your schedule.
Pros
amazing staff
Cons
lots of cleaning
A great place to work
Employee (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON24 July 2016
Bulk Barn is a great company to work for depending on the time of year the store is super busy or not to busy at all. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people find all of their cooking needs and snacks
I like to work with great people and help peopleout the best i can.
Stock boy , clean mop floors (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON21 July 2016
I like learning while at work and helping people. it's always enjoyable when you like the people you work with. I like helping customers
Was able to work with old friends while making new great friends.Good training.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON19 July 2016
Performed a variety of different tasks.
Everything was always changing, so forced us to adapt quickly and often.
Was within walking distance.
Hard to bus to though.
Great co-workers.
Pros
Great training, made great lifelong friends.
Cons
Management was not great. And Favouritism.
great place to work
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON19 July 2016
hours are flexible and the staff are great to work with. management is on the ball and always looking for ways to improve the store and standards. great place!
Pros
good hours
Cons
morale

2.8