Bulk Barn Employee Reviews

Pretty good
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Midland, ON19 September 2017
Great place to work. Management and Head Office people are great to work with. Cleaning to a big part of the job but that is expected as it is a food establishment. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you work with. Everyone is super helpful towards each other and is willing to step in if you don't know something.

The workplace culture is great. They focus on helping the customer find what they need and possible alternatives or suggestions. Don't worry you learn it as you go.
Pros
Wonderful employees and management.
Cons
A lot of cleaning, but that is expected
alright job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS18 September 2017
Cashier positions are only give to girls; cashiers need to memorize as many 4-6 digit codes as they can to make checking people out faster; every month you get quizzed on how many product codes you know, if you do good your fine but if you do bad you re-enter the training stage.
A bulk of..
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 September 2017
A typical day at work consisted of the doing the same things over and over again. You lift heavy boxes all day and you have to move fast. I learned that you just got to do the job and get it over with. Management was the worst. She had OCD and over worked everyone. Workplace culture; there wasn't any. I've never worked somewhere in my life where people just went to work and left. The hardest part of the job is keeping on weight because your doing so much movement and heavy lifting that you probably need more intake of calories. The stress is always high since you need to constantly need to finish a thousand things. The pay is not competitive considering all the heavy lifting one does and all the responsibilities given. The enjoyable part is talking to the seniors that come in on Wednesday.
Cons
Pay doesn't match workload
good place to work
cashier/ supervisor (Current Employee) –  Welland, ON8 September 2017
Bulk barn is a great environment to work in, everyone there is great and there is very little drama. sometimes it doesnt even feel like you are coming into work
Trash equipment and lazy staff
Stock/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 September 2017
Individuals spent more time in the back on their phones talking to friends and family than doing their actual jobs. This lead to work being handed down to Stock members who already have a lot in their hands. Most of the equipment is broken. Owner barely supplies the store with cleaning material. Break room is a compact washroom with a broken toilet. Guys work stock girls worked cash so we basically had to do the "dirty" work and heavy lifting. Lucky for me I was able to work with the most hard working and kind stock members who just so happened to be those I grew up with. Memories were made despite the lowest of lows. If they still work there you will know who they are. They will change your POV entirely just being in their presence.

Safety and cleanliness isn't priority there. They wont insure you if you work stock because youlll never work full time. They will make you work short shifts with heavy work loads. On a very rare day youll do as much as Cashiers.
Pros
Cons
You make do with the garage equipment they give you.
Enjoyed happy customers and coworkers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 September 2017
Management is okay. If you "click" with them, you will do well. This can provide a toxic environment. Sometimes belittles staff members on very basic things. Culture here can be sexist.

I found learning the codes for items helped with my memory. I met a lot of fabulous coworkers here.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Low pay
fun and organized workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 September 2017
A typical day at work was cleaning bulk food bins, helping customers & working the till. I learned how to look up different bulk products and I also learned about different kinds of foods/products. Management was good, I had no problems and enjoyed working there. Bulk Barn was a friendly and fun environment! The hardest part of the job was looking up different foods/products and not being able to find them, as well as making the customer wait while I hunted down the codes for everything they were purchasing. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people and the great environment.
Pros
organized, clean, friendly
Cons
heavy lifting
Friendly Management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BC1 September 2017
Pretty good job as far as retail goes. I liked my bosses. High turnover rate because people have no respect for entry level jobs. As long as you do your best, you don't have to worry about getting fired. Lots of heavy lifting, remembering all the codes is impossible and a bit tedious to find. Clean workplace. I liked working in the office. Can be fast paced, sometimes slow, but there is always things to do to keep time moving. Lots of cleaning involved. The big offices in Toronto have access to the cameras in the store and will sometimes check in on the employees, make notes and then complain about you to your boss. It's creepy and stressful.
Pros
If you're a good employee, they make you supervisor
Cons
They legit watch you from cameras in the store
The job itself was good, but the management is horrendous.
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 August 2017
The job itself is good, but they fired me without warning four days after my probation was over, when I asked why they said they "had to lay someone off and they chose (me)" when asked why to that they cited some obscure event from two months previous which they never even bothered to mention to me until the day they fired me!
Pros
Easy.
Cons
They make it very clear you're worthless and temporary.
Hard work but you gain lots of product knowledge
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 August 2017
Throughout the day we would refill product, serve customers and wash every single scoop. By closing time we would have to undersweep, mop and wash the surface of every bin. If you worked full time it would become exhausting, at the location I was at we only ever had two on a shift so one person would stay on cash and undersweep while the other washed all the scoops and lids.
Pros
Learning about different product
Cons
It was awful to do all the cleaning with only two people on a shift
everyone seened nice was friendly enviorment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB29 August 2017
got along well with others, loved greeting customers. had to remember a lot of codes, did lots of cleaning which I love. always put a smile on customers faces,
loooove it
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Swift Current, SK23 August 2017
I loved working there,
I went from Cashier to supervisor quick
& I loved the group of people I worked with ,
I would definitely go back there in a heart beat
awesome place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  collingwood, on owen sound, on23 August 2017
Very fast paced environment. Physically demanding. Very team orientated. Staff are friendly and always there to help. You can learn a lot about different foods and their health benefits
Pros
everything
Cons
very very busy
Typical retail job, physically demanding with low pay
Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 August 2017
Very clear that corporate office doesn't care about their employees. Took away employee and customer discounts that were previously offered by the owner.
The job mainly consists of cleaning, most of which is very hard on your back. The rest of the time, you are running around trying to stock items while fielding questions from customers and watching for shoplifters. All while running back and forth from the cash register.
They definitely do not pay well enough for the amount of work they expect. Working at McD's is probably less stressful
Cons
No breakroom/breakroom facilities, poor pay, physically demanding
life at work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON22 August 2017
As I mentioned in my other review for Bulk Barn. The Burlington Location was the best. The two franchisees knew what they were doing and how to run their business properly. Also, how to respect their employees with respect.
Pros
Christmas gift, cared about their employees
Cons
nothing
First Job
CUSTOMER SERVICE/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON21 August 2017
This was my first job at 15 and it was great. They treated me as an adult, my managers were wonderful and I learned a lot about foods and customer service.
Pros
Made Great Connections
Cons
Exciting and motivating place to work
Store clerk (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB20 August 2017
Your typical day involves: filling up and cleaning the various food bins, tubs and trays; cleaning floors and dusting shelves; and unloading and storing the new stocks.
Pros
tasting the various food available
Cons
learning all the different food codes
Mostly enjoyable colleagues, fun environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON19 August 2017
I worked with countless employees and diligently worked through tasks.
I learned that gossip makes a work environment toxic and unpleasant, and those who supervise tend to exaggerate the jobs that they do in order to shift work onto your shoulders. (This does not apply to all supervisors)
The environment is fun and lighthearted, and the most enjoyable part of the job is the people you meet and interact with on a daily or weekly basis.
Pros
food, friendly staff
Cons
no benefits/discounts, no room to advance
Great Customers
CASHIER/STOCK CLERK (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON18 August 2017
Repeat customers makes it a family atmosphere
Great selection of items
Owner is great and personable
Small team but we work together
Enjoy helping people find new recipes
Pros
Great Owner and Customers
Cons
Not full time
Great Place to start
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON18 August 2017
Bulk Barn is a great place to work when you are in between jobs. Working after school or for extra money. Not stressful, only during the holidays. However not much to go up from being a supervisor
Pros
Great choices of bulk foods
Cons
Nowhere to move up from