Bulk Barn Employee Reviews in Canada

Clean but crazy place to work
Sales Associate/Key Holder/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Maple, ONMay 3, 2016
A lot of cleaning which was necessary as the store got dirty quick when you sell food products. Your co-workers are what will save you from going crazy. Customer inquiries were the hardest part of the job as they assume you know everything about their culture and their food that they cook. A lot of the time it is guess work as you are trying to figure out what product they are looking for such as "sume sume" is actually sesame seeds (in case you were wondering).
Pros
Good co-workers understand your pain
Cons
On your feet all shift, need to be able to lift heavy bags
Store Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 21, 2016
just as the title says. I enjoyed my time working for Bulk Barn, the Manager was awesome both as a boss and as a coworker who would go out of his way to make sure you're okay inside work and out. Same goes for the owner of the store as well, a couple of months after I left he called me personally to see how I was doing and even sent me a gift for my newborn child after finding out. The coworkers were more like friends and family and everyone goes out of their way to help each other every day. There are few jobs that I would go back to and this is one of them
Pros
everything
Cons
occasional bad customers
Hard work with minimal praise or rewards.
Jr. District Manager (Current Employee) –  VariousApril 14, 2016
A lot of appreciate the company that gave me the opportunity to advance my life, but positive feedback was always minimal. You were expected to work 10-12 hours a day, the ability to have a social life is tough. No rewards or motivation to do well, you need to be self motivated and be able to grind through challenging, even impossible circumstances. Must be mentally strong. Love my co-workers
Pros
Travel
Cons
Frequent 12 plus hour days
Would not work here again.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMay 18, 2016
I've worked at two Bulk Barns, each for about a year and both were very negative experiences. Though I made excellent friends with the staff, we were all unappreciated. Our manager made questionable decisions pertaining to food safety and was blatantly rude to any staff who weren't supervisors. Poor pay with very few opportunities to move-up in the company.
Pros
Positive staff
Cons
Poor management, long-hours, tedious work
Fast Paced
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMarch 23, 2016
A typical day includes lots of cleaning and making sure customers are well taken care of. A normal shift will include returning products to their correct bins/shelves, wiping down ever bin lid, washing scoops, and cleaning the floor, counters and cash registers.

I've learned to perfect my multitasking skills along with problem solving. I have also learned incredible product knowledge and placement.

Management and co-workers are key in a successful shift and I couldn't ask for better ones!
Would Recommend
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMarch 22, 2016
Typical day: vacuum all bins, clean all bins, help customers throughout shift, help on 2nd cash throughout shift, set up sale items at end of night

Learned: cleanliness

Management: some good, some not so good; owner's are terrifying

Co-workers: friendly, good people

Hardest part: making sure everything is spotless so that we don't get in trouble

Best part: the people I worked with
Pros
Working with great people
Cons
Getting hit on by creepy old men; strict rules
I enjoy my job and the people I work with
Supervisor/cashier/stock person (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ONMarch 2, 2016
Typical day at bulk bulk includes greeting and assisting customers, cashing out the customers,making sure they are satisfied with their visit, cleaning duties to be done daily,stocking shelves and ensuring all daily duties are complete by the end of the work day, balancing of registers and store is secured. The best part of my position is interacting with customers,hardest part is keeping busy as it is a slower type of retail.To ensure I am busy during the entire shift,I tend to constantly clean.The manager is very kind and willing to work around another schedule if I was to find another job.
I wouldn't work there ever again.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJanuary 19, 2016
I was a supervisor at one of the Bulk Barn locations and I was given my job description when I had my interview but when I started my first shift I was a little surprised at how different the experience was. I barely touched the cash except to count it at the end of the night and I cleaned my entire shift. I expected to do some cleaning considering we were working with food but I felt like a janitor by the end of the day. I cleaned for 8 hours straight. I enjoyed my co-workers for the most part but working alongside the owner a few days a week I saw how unfair of a boss they were. I have never had a job that made me feel so unaccomplished and unaccepted and I was very unhappy working there.
A fast paced fun place to work
Manager, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJanuary 15, 2016
Customer service is one key to a successful retail business. The front line workers are the key to portray that message. Our daily task included treating our customers with respect, and listening to their comments. It is a team effort that comes from the Corporate Office and trickles down to each franchisee and their employees.
The job was interesting and you can learn something new every day, just by talking to people. The hardest part of the job is learning all the products and codes. The most enjoyable was the atmosphere of the store and continuously merchandising.
It was a great place to work, and a great company to work for.
Fun place to work with great people
SUPERVISOR/CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Cranbrook, BCFebruary 3, 2016
I love the people I work with on a daily basis, the place has become like a small family. The customers are usually pretty great, with many returning time and time again. The manager is fantastic, she's caring and tries her best to keep everyone happy.
Pros
My coworkers, and the experience I've gained
Cons
no room for growth, no benefits, no discount
bulk barn
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABMay 3, 2016
I find that the Management was very poor, but it was very clean due to everyone cleaning whenever possible.

we had to clean scoop every few hours. swept under all the bins, washed the floors every night before we left the store.

Co-workers were amazing beside when if came to the mangers because the never did anything.
Overview of Duties
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 21, 2016
-Usually 3-5 hours on cash
-Otherwise cleaning bins,totes,tubs etc.
-Facing products
-Memorization of Codes
-Filling spices and teas
-Providing customer service and advice on product
-Mopping floors
-Cleaning bathrooms
-Pricing items
Pros
Discounts within store and plaza
Cons
Supervisors are unfair
Work was straight forward - Management was terrible.
Labourer/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Camrose, ABNovember 22, 2015
Work tasks were straight forward and not difficult to complete, only time consuming. Communication was an issue however, manager had quit and no replacement was given to the store. Every 2 weeks or so someone from head office came into the store and checked on what we were doing and what to order for the next inventory shipment. We were on our own in the time without them. I quit due to this along with other smaller factors.

Daily work tasks:
- Clean backroom
- Clean washrooms
- Manage and move inventory
- Clean shop floor
- Move product from backroom to shop
- Closing shop
Pros
Store Discount, Free stuff here and there.
Cons
Management and Employee Attitudes
good normal min wage job
Cashier/Stock Person (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 14, 2016
-basic customer service job
-learned about different products with experience
-hardest part is cash, just because of all of the different product codes
-most enjoyable part for me is stocking
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
slow shifts
productive and busy
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONApril 12, 2016
Lots of memorization needed, and working fast to clean store. Management was organized. Hardest part of the job was the fast environment, with customers and remembering all the codes before they got annoyed.
Productive and learning setting
Cashier/Cassière (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 24, 2016
-Customers were very friendly and patient
-Manager took the time to know you
-Co-workers were very helpful with open hearts
-Codes were meant to be memorized
Pros
Customers and workplace
Cons
Inventory
helpin customers
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONFebruary 19, 2016
I would recommend anyone working here amazing small business with not a lot of co workers so the hours there great. for the little time I worked here I enjoyed when I was at work and was always busy so the time went by fast
Unreasonable hours and rates
Supervisor/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 2, 2015
I had originally applied to this job as a shelf stocker and was bumped up to Supervisor almost immediately. Unfortunately, the responsibilities and priorities, mixed with the pay, where not what i was expecting and would not get better, so i left to seek other opportunities.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Very Long Hours
Place to learn different products name.
Customer Service Representative - Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 12, 2016
Flexible hours.
Good training provided.
Staff were good.
Learn different codes of the product.
Name of the product.
Clean store along with the bins.
Stocking
stock associate, my responsibilities (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCOctober 20, 2015
Typical work day: stock shelves and bins, assist customers.
Management: was okay, but would recommend more training for the assistant manager.
Co-workers: got along with everyone that i worked with.
Hardest part of the job: was probably the busy peak times when your stocking the shelves and you get called up to cash.
most enjoyable part: working while its slow.