Bulk Barn Employee Reviews in Canada

I like to work with great people and help peopleout the best i can.
Stock boy , clean mop floors (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 21, 2016
I like learning while at work and helping people. it's always enjoyable when you like the people you work with. I like helping customers
Was able to work with old friends while making new great friends.Good training.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ONJuly 19, 2016
Performed a variety of different tasks.
Everything was always changing, so forced us to adapt quickly and often.
Was within walking distance.
Hard to bus to though.
Great co-workers.
Pros
Great training, made great lifelong friends.
Cons
Management was not great. And Favouritism.
great place to work
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONJuly 19, 2016
hours are flexible and the staff are great to work with. management is on the ball and always looking for ways to improve the store and standards. great place!
Pros
good hours
Cons
morale
good workplace with a strong sense of teamwork
Assist cashiers (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 14, 2016
supervise cashiers and stock
help customers
balance cashes and complete end of shift/day paperwork
excuse product changes form head office
Pros
discounts to employees
Fast pace, friendly environment with helpful coworkers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 14, 2016
Working at Bulk Barn I learned how to work quickly and efficient under pressure independently as well as as a team to get the needs of the customers met and satisfied. I learned how to problem solve on my own such as finding the codes and products I was not familiar with for the customers.
Pros
great environment, friendly coworkers, learning experiences
Cons
non flexible hours
Fun workplace, could improve
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  British ColumbiaJuly 13, 2016
Can be a very fun place to work, but there is little recognition for a job well done. Paid same rate as lazy employees. Management is corrupt.
Pros
Friendly environment, good product
Cons
No discounts, terrible management, low pay, irregular hours
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 12, 2016
I think that the most enjoyable part about working at Bulk Barn is getting to use my expertise in Gluten-free living to help customers. I was able to connect with customers and help them with their allergies.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
Distance from home
Dealing with the puplic
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2016
I was a cashier. learned a lot about bulk foods. The new manager was hard to deal with. Loved working with my co-workers. Filling the bins and spices was hard. Had to be careful with the spices if you got it in your eyes with some of them it burned. The most enjoyable part was working with the puplic.
Pros
Working with bulk foods
Cons
The hours
terrible!
cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ONJune 28, 2016
Family comes first at the Aurora Bulk Barn!
Family gets prime shifts, takes food for free and rubs it in our faces, acts superior. Bad pay, no benefits.
Pros
Cons
bad owners/family
Great coworkers, awful management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 28, 2016
There's a lack of communication between management and employees. Management is immature, back area was a safety hazard. Food regulations were barely followed to code. But overall coworkers were great and it was a fairly easy job.
Pros
Easy job, great coworkers
Cons
Poor management, no communication
love working there
Store Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 23, 2016
they have the best managers. the day goes by fast, it is a good job because we gets a discount on products and i like to lift and moves stuff that is heavy since im a workout monkey.
hardest part of job is doing cashier since theres are hundreds of codes to know, easiest part is everything else
Worst place to work!
Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montreal-nord, QCJune 10, 2016
This is the worst company I have ever worked for. There are no chances of salary augmentation, No employee room to sit and eat, No microwave, No fridge, No insurance, No employee discounts, they offer absolutely nothing. Employees are treated really bad and are not allowed to complain. But recently a friend of mine who still works at one of their stores told me that some of the bulk barn store are now unionized. Good gob for whoever accomplished that because this company needed it!.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Hours are unstable. Hours keep getting cut
No opportunities available
Store operations (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ONJune 8, 2016
No effort for employee retention, always seems to try to bring talent in for higher prices rather than promote or train from within.
Worst place I have ever worked
cashier and stock associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJune 8, 2016
This was the worst job I have ever worked at. The management was terrible, the staff was useless, and the pay wasn't good enough to justify what you have to put up with working there.
Cons
Good place to work, lots of cleaning, product knowledge, and tricky cash register
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJune 2, 2016
Working at Bulk Barn you learn a lot. Not just job experience but you learn a lot of product knowledge. The majority of the job is cleaning and assisting customers.
Typically during the day you are filling stock, cleaning, assisting customers, making signs, merchandising, and rotating product.
The best part of the job is the relationships you can build with customers based on sharing the same interests in products. I would have customers coming in and showing me pictures of the cakes they made or bringing me a treat in from a recipe they tried out.
The hardest part of the jobs is the explaining of weight and how much customers are getting in comparisons to buying in package. Also not being able to return bulk items due to health and safety regulations.
Management can be good depending on who you work for. Some of the store are corporately owned and some are owned by a franchisee (someone who bought the store and owns it under the Bulk Barn name).
I worked for a franchisee and she was great. She was extremely flexible, offered a nice discount, and took pride of her store and staff.
Working for a corporate store is a lot more of a strict position. They offer no discount to staff and expect fairly open schedules.
Overall, working at Bulk Barn was a great experience for me. Mostly because of my manager and the people I worked with. The job itself can be daunting and the cash register training is hard to grasp due to having to understand weight measurements, product knowledge, and remembering code numbers.
I would recommend Bulk Barn to anyone who wants a challenge and has
  more... a passion for baking/ cooking.  less
Pros
product knowledge, decent hours for part time, discount (if franchisee)
Cons
no discount (if corporately owned), cleaning constantly can be boring, tricky cash register
Productive and learning setting
Cashier/Cassière (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 24, 2016
-Customers were very friendly and patient
-Manager took the time to know you
-Co-workers were very helpful with open hearts
-Codes were meant to be memorized
Pros
Customers and workplace
Cons
Inventory
Would not work here again.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMay 18, 2016
I've worked at two Bulk Barns, each for about a year and both were very negative experiences. Though I made excellent friends with the staff, we were all unappreciated. Our manager made questionable decisions pertaining to food safety and was blatantly rude to any staff who weren't supervisors. Poor pay with very few opportunities to move-up in the company.
Pros
Positive staff
Cons
Poor management, long-hours, tedious work
good normal min wage job
Cashier/Stock Person (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 14, 2016
-basic customer service job
-learned about different products with experience
-hardest part is cash, just because of all of the different product codes
-most enjoyable part for me is stocking
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
slow shifts
Place to learn different products name.
Customer Service Representative - Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 12, 2016
Flexible hours.
Good training provided.
Staff were good.
Learn different codes of the product.
Name of the product.
Clean store along with the bins.
Easy going and relaxed workplace with cleaning and customer service as a priority
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ONMay 7, 2016
A typical day includes time on cash, doing face-to-face transactions with a variety of customers, maintaining the cleanliness of all product in the store, maintaining the floor displays of product. We are also assigned different tasks before closing to make sure the store is in pristine condition for the following morning.If working early in the morning, product is rotated so all of the older product is sold first to keep most food fresh still.

I've learned through working as a supervisor here to not bring personal matters into the workplace as it can be reflected in the given work ethic whether it's been noted in my own or in others.

Hardest part of the job is finding more to do if you get ahead of schedule, however it is always easy to find something to do.

Cleaning is high priority as you deal with food on a daily basis. There is a high standard for cleanliness.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction one gets to have with the large variety of clientele. Along with that is the incredibly friendly staff on hand at all times making all new employees feel welcome.
Pros
Flexible hours and scheduling
Cons
Some lack focus on their work

2.8