Bulk Barn Employee Reviews

Worst place to work
Cashier/Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC20 August 2016
After 5 years of service, and multiple requests for raises I have received nothing. Corporate demands hard working service, but then refuses to pay its employees for that service. I've been stuck at minimum wage since day one of employment. I do not recommend getting a job here or supporting this store. Management is corrupt and should be changed.
Cons
Relaxed and understanding employees and great co-workers.
Stock/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON10 August 2016
Part-time employees get most of the night shifts (4-9:30) and so you end up closing the store. This includes facing the isles, sweeping and moping the floors, doing returns, etc. When you are not closing the store you are either stocking or cashing out customers. The staff are great but sometimes you end getting a lot of food on your clothes. Would not recommend job to people with nut allergies since there are a lot of nuts in the store.
Pros
Great people and close-knit crew
Cons
No employee benefits
Comfortable work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 September 2016
Everyone there is very friendly. I always had a great time working there with such fun people. Everyone there is close almost like family. There is always something to do there with constant cleaning and tiding up between customers.
Pros
reasonable salary, good management
Cons
not enough hours
Worst place to work!
Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montreal-nord, QC10 June 2016
This is the worst company I have ever worked for. There are no chances of salary augmentation, No employee room to sit and eat, No microwave, No fridge, No insurance, No employee discounts, they offer absolutely nothing. Employees are treated really bad and are not allowed to complain. But recently a friend of mine who still works at one of their stores told me that some of the bulk barn store are now unionized. Good gob for whoever accomplished that because this company needed it!.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Hours are unstable. Hours keep getting cut
terrible!
cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON28 June 2016
Family comes first at the Aurora Bulk Barn!
Family gets prime shifts, takes food for free and rubs it in our faces, acts superior. Bad pay, no benefits.
Pros
Cons
bad owners/family
Productive and enjoyable work environment
Stock Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 October 2016
Working with bulk barn I have acquired more skills in leadership and delegation of tasks. I work hand and hand with the franchisee and merchandise the store on a regular basis. I make executive decisions with the store product, such as sell off of inventory, creating sale items, and adding and removing products from the sales floor. The most enjoyable part of the workplace is the leadership of people looking up to me, and being able to create a productive and enjoyable workplace for others, while monitoring efficiency and customer care.
Bulk Barn
Supervisor/ Stock (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 August 2016
While Bulk Barn has Corporate and franchise locations I am currently with a corporate location that had just opened this January (2016).
I have learned a lot of this company and what it takes to run this type of store. It requires quite a bit of patience and integrity; with that i have grown more than I thought possible.
My co-workers are like family there is always different types of personalities which one must accept even if not likable.
We currently have about eight people working here which at times is "trying" due to not enough people to cover shifts and overload of expectations from head office.
On the bright side Management does make attempts to have an easy going environment, until it becomes to laid back. I believe there should be staff meetings which there has not been one.
I enjoy the cleaning of shelves and organizing of new and old product. The customers are also an enjoyment as we have some great regulars. I also enjoy keeping busy and there is always something to do at Bulk Barn!
Pros
Great experience for my resume
Cons
Supervisor pay is twenty five cents more than minimum wage.
Learning experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hawkesbury, ON17 October 2016
Bulk barn was my first job. honestly not too bad of a place to work other than the fact that corporate doesnt care too much about their employees and have very high expectations. If you aren't very organized or willing to clean a lot, bulk barn is not for you. Do not reccomend as a first job because being a cashier requires a lot of memorization and focus to recognize products and codes. But overall its a good learning experience and I have no regrets working there. I quit because school and work were getting too much to handle.
Pros
good learning experience, yummy candy, solid work routine, decent hours, made some friends with coworkers
Cons
corporate, stressful during the weekends, cash is harder than usual cash job, intense cleaning routine
good place to if you wish to advance your self in a work environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC26 October 2016
Fun place to work

Always something to do to keep busy

long days

lots of cleaning

hardest part of the job is all the different codes to remember

most enjoyable part all the new items that come in for holidays
Pros
Discount on wednesdays
Cons
Fun place to work with great people
SUPERVISOR/CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC3 February 2016
I love the people I work with on a daily basis, the place has become like a small family. The customers are usually pretty great, with many returning time and time again. The manager is fantastic, she's caring and tries her best to keep everyone happy.
Pros
My coworkers, and the experience I've gained
Cons
no room for growth, no benefits, no discount
work with nice people
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 October 2016
It is a very busy store, we do lots of cleaning. I work in all parts of the store, stock, cash , opening and closing the store and help in training new staff.
Pros
it is close to my home and the staff is friendly
Cons
no breaks, and long hours.
Coworkers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON11 November 2016
Get along with them nicely, though not much advancement and always doing the same thing with no new learning

Enjoy talking with customers and learn new things from them with the products they buy
Fun workplace, could improve
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  British Columbia13 July 2016
Can be a very fun place to work, but there is little recognition for a job well done. Paid same rate as lazy employees. Management is corrupt.
Pros
Friendly environment, good product
Cons
No discounts, terrible management, low pay, irregular hours
Was able to work with old friends while making new great friends.Good training.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON19 July 2016
Performed a variety of different tasks.
Everything was always changing, so forced us to adapt quickly and often.
Was within walking distance.
Hard to bus to though.
Great co-workers.
Pros
Great training, made great lifelong friends.
Cons
Management was not great. And Favouritism.
Entry level jobs
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  British Columbia24 November 2016
The company is an entry level job company there is very minimal perks to working for Bulk Barn. As a corporate employee you feel less important and more of an inconvenience. Wage increases do not happen, The people in individual stores make a difference but as a corporation it is less then enjoyable.
Pros
I get a paycheck
Cons
I get a small paycheck
Busy, yet simple work.
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 August 2016
A lot of carrying around large bags of bulk food and putting them into the correct bins. Demands some level of organizational skill and ability to repeat the same task over and over. Everyone was neatly managed and knew what they should do for the day, while offering assistance to anyone else if required. The hardest part of the job was keeping track of all the differently labelled boxes and bags in the back storage.
Clean but crazy place to work
Sales Associate/Key Holder/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Maple, ON3 May 2016
A lot of cleaning which was necessary as the store got dirty quick when you sell food products. Your co-workers are what will save you from going crazy. Customer inquiries were the hardest part of the job as they assume you know everything about their culture and their food that they cook. A lot of the time it is guess work as you are trying to figure out what product they are looking for such as "sume sume" is actually sesame seeds (in case you were wondering).
Pros
Good co-workers understand your pain
Cons
On your feet all shift, need to be able to lift heavy bags
Great coworkers, awful management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 June 2016
There's a lack of communication between management and employees. Management is immature, back area was a safety hazard. Food regulations were barely followed to code. But overall coworkers were great and it was a fairly easy job.
Pros
Easy job, great coworkers
Cons
Poor management, no communication
Would not work here again.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON18 May 2016
I've worked at two Bulk Barns, each for about a year and both were very negative experiences. Though I made excellent friends with the staff, we were all unappreciated. Our manager made questionable decisions pertaining to food safety and was blatantly rude to any staff who weren't supervisors. Poor pay with very few opportunities to move-up in the company.
Pros
Positive staff
Cons
Poor management, long-hours, tedious work
great place to work
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON19 July 2016
hours are flexible and the staff are great to work with. management is on the ball and always looking for ways to improve the store and standards. great place!
Pros
good hours
Cons
morale

2.8