Bulk Barn

Bulk Barn Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
unhealthy workplace
Store Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 12, 2014
The company don't care about your heath. They don't help you lift heavy bags.
Good workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 30, 2014
It was alright for the work you had to do there! The management though did get out of hand from time to time.
excellent place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), toronto ontarioOctober 21, 2014
Cashier processing cash credit and debit transactions, inventory, stocking shelves pricing, completeing refunds and exchanges
Excellent atmosphere
CASHIER (Former Employee), Winkler, MBSeptember 3, 2014
As I had never been in retail before, I am happy to say the experience at Bulk Bulk was excellent.
Incredibly happy atmosphere and co-workers/Management.
Very busy environment.
lots of products to choose from
Cashier (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJuly 15, 2014
Pros: able to work with staff efficiently
clean store,helpful, friendly
customer orientated
fun co-workers
High paced environment with a great and hard working staff.
Cashier (Current Employee), Oakville, ONMay 22, 2014
Pros: clean environment
Cons: not enough hours
My responsibilities include: Maintaining the cleanliness of the store front, cash desks, bins and aisles, totes and wet pails. I also work cash, serving customers when needed. At the end of my shift I begin preparing for closing which includes; wiping and dusting the individuals bins, under sweeping bellow the bins, facing up products and moping the – more... store floors.
I have learned great deal from working at Bulk Barn. My abilities to work confidently with a friendly staff and ensure that customers are being assisted with at all times has greatly improved. I was young when I began the job in 2007, and I feel as if my ability to work with others as a team and independently has improved my leadership skills. I have also learned the importance of inventory control, and supporting the needs of customers.
The co-workers at this job are what has kept me coming back every year. Not only is the store owner approachable, friendly and confident in his staff's abilities, this also shows within the management and staff working at this location. Our nature is to put the customer first and treat them with full respect and also to work together as a team in making this a happy workplace. – less
Interesting facts from customers
Supervisor (Current Employee), Hawkesbury, ONMay 19, 2014
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: memorization of codes
The most interesting I learned from the different customers that came in. new recipes new health ingredients. A lot of improvement in French because of the location.Management and workers are easy to work with.
Warehouse Order Picker
Order Picker/ Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Richmond HillMay 14, 2014
Pros: co workers
Cons: management, pay, no chance of advancement
I worked in the distribution centre in Richmond hill, picking orders continuous heavy lifting , job was o.k ,co-workers are cool, the pay is low, theres no money there, management is a joke, no chance of advancement, this is a family run company so unless you are related to the owner ,or good friends with his family you will never go anywhere there, – more... in desperate need of a UNION – less
Productive and outgoing team
Cashier/Supervisor (Former Employee), Orillia, ONMay 9, 2014
A typical day at work is a 9-5 shift that includes cleaning the store, unloading shipments and cashing customers out. I learned how to become a team leader and how to train new employees. The management was very respectful and helpful to me. My co-workers were a lot of fun to be around and we worked well as a team. The hardest part of my job was fitting – more... school around my work schedule. And the most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the public on a daily basis. – less
Scare-tactics, Nitpicking and Micro-management thought to be good
Stock (Current Employee), Red DeerApril 24, 2014
Pros: customers
Cons: long hours. psychotic, dysfunctional feminist supervisors. low pay. ripped me off a few days of work on payday.
a typical day at Bulk Barn would be go in scared to death to talk to the supervisors. no guidance whatsoever, very little training, an abundance of nit-picking and the supervisors belittling any new meat to look proper in front of the store owners. the store owners would side with the supervisors to make face. LOADS of heavy lifting if your the only – more... guy working any shift.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the customers.
I learned to never ask the supervisor anything. – less
Great fun staff
Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 23, 2014
Pros: great staff
Cons: not enough money, problems with management going in and out
I enjoyed helping the customers and staff accomplish daily tasks.
a fun workplace
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), stratfordApril 22, 2014
Pros: great coworkers
Cons: no benefits and sometimes long hours
it is not very often that you work in an environment where everyone gets a long. It is more of a family environment and we all care about each other greatly. We can laugh and joke with each other on a daily basis. My manager is one of the kindest, most giving person with a heart of gold.
I work very hard and give 100% and have learned quite a bit working – more... there. I have done merchandising, ordering, banking as well as interviewing potential employees. – less
very fun possitive place
stock clerk / cashier (Former Employee), Duncan, BCApril 2, 2014
Pros: meeting a lot of friendly faces
Cons: lack of comunication
refilling product and doing cashier calls when it gets too busy for the cashier on till. on closing we clean the washrooms and receiving bay thoroughly.
the management team was amazing and very open to teaching and working alongside their staff as equals
my co-workers were quite fun to work with and easily open minded to new members
the hardest part – more... is the first day finding out that the stock is quite heavy
the most enjoyable part of the job would be helping customers find the product in the store seeing their faces light up from the one on one service we provided – less
friendly staff
Cashier (Former Employee), Toronot.ONMarch 31, 2014
Pros: staff
Cons: $$ per hour
Morning cleaning lids and shelving
Leared Security and Kindness
Friendly co workers
Hardest part of job is between supervisor who think they own the store. Does not listen to
experience staff or cashiers ideas.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the customers.
Great place to work.
Cashier/ Stock (Former Employee), Midland, ONMarch 12, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: not many
I love this job. Working with customers at cash was my favourite part.
Okay for a student, but don't get your hopes up
Supervisor (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONMarch 5, 2014
Pros: easy work
Cons: low wages, over worked, not paid correctly, not much to move up by.
When I first started with Bulk Barn I was hired as a cashier. I was hired as a "full time" employee, but never received more than 28 hours a week - not exactly what I would have called full time. I started at minimum wage and after almost a year, nobody had received a raise. Enjoyed working with the team, but the owner was unrealistic in terms of what – more... she expected out of her employees. Hours were unpredictable as you could be called in at ANY time and are expected to show up, but if you ask for more hours, you won't get any. If you were sick and wanted to take a sick day, it wasn't allowed. You MUST book that day off the week before (really?! how do you know you're going to be sick?!)

When I DID receive a raise, it wasn't until I became a supervisor and I only received a 35 cent raise. After well over a year, we discussed the possibility of a raise to which I was told I wasn't worth the money. There was a LOT of unfair treatment there and working at bulk barn became very irritating. You would be left in charge of inventory, ordering, customer service and standard supervising while the owner did nothing but watching cameras all day, only to be told that you "aren't worth" more than 35 cents above minimum wage.

When payday came around, I did not receive a paystub my first eight months on the job. When I asked for it, and began keeping track, I noticed that if I put in overtime, or showed up early (because showing up at 8:30 when the store opens at 9 is "unacceptable"), I was not getting paid for ANY of those hours. You only got paid for store hours, but if you were cleaning for an additional hour after the store closed, you weren't compensated for that.

Needless to say, I am not there anymore. Not every location is like this, but I know mine was. Its a fine job if your a student looking for some part time hours holding an easy job. But there is no room for advancement unless you plan to franchise your own location. I became the head supervisor, but beyond that there was no other position. We only had about 15 employees anyway. – less
Fun for a single man with nothing holding you down
LEAD MERCHANDISER (Former Employee), Richmond hill/Travel abroadFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: a lot of traveling across canada
Cons: long under payed hours, no social life
The people themselves were great. Everybody was respectful and professional. But it being a family own business you can't expect advancement within the company unless your long time friends with the owners.

If you are on the road crew as I was you will have a lot of fun on the road but prepare for very long hours with little free time and even less – more... sleep.

However if you work in the warehouse and rest assured you will be, road crew or not. You will be stuck in a cluttered warehouse with no windows and non-stop repetitive tasks. – less
Don't apply here if you are looking for long term work
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONJanuary 19, 2014
This job is best suited for anyone not looking to advance in a company. It offers little to no career advancement.
Do not expect full time hours, pay raises, benefits, or flexible schedules.
Friendly Place for students
STOCK CLERK (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
I applied as a high-school student looking for part-time work. I was accepted with open arms and enjoyed my time there. Management is friendly and understanding, hours are flexible and manageable. 4 out of 5
Great workmates, terrible management
Customer Service (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 12, 2014
Pros: workmates cheer you up in difficult times. most are willing to help
Cons: the manager, inconvenient shifts, moody management will ruin your work environment
Before I start, let me make one thing very clear: If you happen to work with a short, blonde, chubby lady, try AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE not to screw up. She will start hating on you and treating you like a mere slave. Eventually she will get rid of you, unless you talk to her constantly, thus earning her sympathy.

Bulk Barn wasn't a bad place to work at, – more... co-workers were extremely friendly and supervisors were caring and understanding. Get ready to do some intense cleaning, lifting heavy stuff and dealing with customers, because that's mainly what you will be doing.

Work hours are pretty limited, get ready to stay from times like 7pm-11pm and early in the morning, otherwise you don't stand a chance of staying.

Can't forget the back issues I've gotten from all the bending and lifting heavy stuff, be careful with that, its super painful and nobody really cares as long as you're getting your tasks done.

Overall, it's better than Timmies, McDonalds and such fast-food places, but honestly, it's definitely not the greatest place to work at. – less

1 2 3