Bulk Barn Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Okay for a student, but don't get your hopes up
Supervisor (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONMarch 5, 2014
Pros: easy work
Cons: low wages, over worked, not paid correctly, not much to move up by.
When I first started with Bulk Barn I was hired as a cashier. I was hired as a "full time" employee, but never received more than 28 hours a week - not exactly what I would have called full time. I started at minimum wage and after almost a year, nobody had received a raise. Enjoyed working with the team, but the owner was unrealistic in terms of what she expected out of her employees. Hours were unpredictable as you could be called in at ANY time and are expected to show up, but if you ask for more hours, you won't get any. If you were sick and wanted to take a sick day, it wasn't allowed. You MUST book that day off the week before (really?! how do you know you're going to be sick?!)

When I DID receive a raise, it wasn't until I became a supervisor and I only received a 35 cent raise. After well over a year, we discussed the possibility of a raise to which I was told I wasn't worth the money. There was a LOT of unfair treatment there and working at bulk barn became very irritating. You would be left in charge of inventory, ordering, customer service and standard supervising while the owner did nothing but watching cameras all day, only to be told that you "aren't worth" more than 35 cents above minimum wage.

When payday came around, I did not receive a paystub my first eight months on the job. When I asked for it, and began keeping track, I noticed that if I put in overtime, or showed up early (because showing up at 8:30 when the store opens at 9 is "unacceptable"), I was not getting paid for ANY of those hours. You only got paid for store hours, but if you were cleaning – more... for an additional hour after the store closed, you weren't compensated for that.

Needless to say, I am not there anymore. Not every location is like this, but I know mine was. Its a fine job if your a student looking for some part time hours holding an easy job. But there is no room for advancement unless you plan to franchise your own location. I became the head supervisor, but beyond that there was no other position. We only had about 15 employees anyway. – less
Difficult place to work at
Cashier/Caissière (Former Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 20, 2015
Pros: No pros
Cons: No benefits or discounts; long hours; unorganized, poor management; lack of communication; lack of respecting hours; irregular hours
A typical day at work is maintaining the cash register. At Bulk Barn there are over 4,000 products and you have to memorize codes associated with those products. When a customer arrives at the cash register, you must know the code to the products the client wants to buy. Shelf facing, cleaning bins, under sweeping, pricing and merchandising may all be part of the job on a given day.

Bulk Barn is one of the worst jobs out there. There is a lot of drama that goes on behind the scenes. It is unpleasant to the point where you dread going into work everyday. The higher management are very disorganized. There is hardly any communication save for gossip. Any professional matter is to be swept under the rug and not confronted unless you push it to be seen.

The lessons learned at Bulk Barn is to always watch your back, to speak up and defend yourself when authority is in the wrong. On a side note, there are loads of codes to learn so one does become better at working with numbers.

The hardest and worst part of the job is cleaning. The under sweep of the food bins of the entire store kills your back. Also, the plastic the bins are made up of are sharp. Therefore, when you clean them your hands are subject to many little nicks and cuts. This cleaning processes is done daily.

The most enjoyable part of the jobs is my fellow cashiers and supervisor. They are the only reason why going to work is worth it. They are fun to work with and have become good friends.
High paced environment with a great and hard working staff.
Cashier (Current Employee), Oakville, ONMay 22, 2014
Pros: clean environment
Cons: not enough hours
My responsibilities include: Maintaining the cleanliness of the store front, cash desks, bins and aisles, totes and wet pails. I also work cash, serving customers when needed. At the end of my shift I begin preparing for closing which includes; wiping and dusting the individuals bins, under sweeping bellow the bins, facing up products and moping the store floors.
I have learned great deal from working at Bulk Barn. My abilities to work confidently with a friendly staff and ensure that customers are being assisted with at all times has greatly improved. I was young when I began the job in 2007, and I feel as if my ability to work with others as a team and independently has improved my leadership skills. I have also learned the importance of inventory control, and supporting the needs of customers.
The co-workers at this job are what has kept me coming back every year. Not only is the store owner approachable, friendly and confident in his staff's abilities, this also shows within the management and staff working at this location. Our nature is to put the customer first and treat them with full respect and also to work together as a team in making this a happy workplace.
Great workmates, terrible management
Customer Service (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJanuary 12, 2014
Pros: workmates cheer you up in difficult times. most are willing to help
Cons: the manager, inconvenient shifts, moody management will ruin your work environment
Before I start, let me make one thing very clear: If you happen to work with a short, blonde, chubby lady, try AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE not to screw up. She will start hating on you and treating you like a mere slave. Eventually she will get rid of you, unless you talk to her constantly, thus earning her sympathy.

Bulk Barn wasn't a bad place to work at, co-workers were extremely friendly and supervisors were caring and understanding. Get ready to do some intense cleaning, lifting heavy stuff and dealing with customers, because that's mainly what you will be doing.

Work hours are pretty limited, get ready to stay from times like 7pm-11pm and early in the morning, otherwise you don't stand a chance of staying.

Can't forget the back issues I've gotten from all the bending and lifting heavy stuff, be careful with that, its super painful and nobody really cares as long as you're getting your tasks done.

Overall, it's better than Timmies, McDonalds and such fast-food places, but honestly, it's definitely not the greatest place to work at.
It was a great place to work for a while.
Cashier and Stock (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 8, 2016
Pros: Flexible workplace
Cons: Slightly abusive employer
I thoroughly enjoyed the majority of my time at Bulk Barn. Up until new management arrived the typical day would be, you clock in, greet your fellow employees, and either stock product or cash out customers. I refined my customer interaction and up selling skills in my time here. I excelled at being a cashier fairly quick. My coworkers were great. You could comfortably work with any of them without feeling like your being judged. There were two coworkers who came into the workplace around the new year who would constantly berate a majority of the employees in front of other employees while the employee of topic wasn't there. I would have to say keeping an upbeat attitude while working with either of those two was the hardest part of the job. Truth be told that was still fairly simple. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the great people I was working with and interacting with the variety of customers who came from all walks of life. Some of the stories I've heard from the more regular customers were really quite inspiring.
Working At Bulk Barn
Cashier & Shelf Cleaner (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: great staff, fast paced
Cons: managers, workload, salary
When I worked at Bulk Barn, there were more negatives then there were positives. To begin with, each shift at Bulk Barn required a heavy amount of cleaning on top of dealing with customers who came in. Cleaning the shelves, the buckets, counter tops, floors and utensils were difficult to keep up while being able to go on cash consistently. These jobs were constant in every shift. Although most of the time I can handle stress well, working at Bulk Barn was a heavy workload for not a decent pay. Despite the hardships, a benefit of working there was being able to work fast paced in order to get all tasks finished on time and perfecting that skill by the end of my employment there. My co-workers were also a huge part as to why Bulk Barn was a successful job. This is mainly because I was well trained and I was able to keep up with their level of leadership, as well as further developing my own. To conclude, although having a few benefits, Bulk Barn was a very horrible place to work due to the heavy workload, horrible salary, and terrible managers.
Great co-workers, not so great management
Cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 4, 2015
Cons: no employee discount, long hours.
I have worked at two Bulk Barns now, and I have loved my first experience, I have moved to another to be closer to where I live and it has been honestly terrible. My first location was a franchised location, so I knew moving to a corporate store would be different. Not only was the schedule completely off, but the people who worked for corporate who came in every day would take shifts away from people without notice, actually said some racist comments to one of my co-workers who was (obviously) offended but didn't say anything for fear of losing her job. They would make us repeat tasks throughout the day, buzz for another cashier if there was one person in line besides the one we were helping, and then tell us to not do things that I was used to doing regularly at my old location (like stocking during store hours when it wasn't busy). I'm sad to of changed locations, for once I thought this was a great company, the only upside is the co-workers, for we all share this same view.
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Supervisor and Cashier (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBAugust 7, 2013
A typical day at the Bulk Barn involved cleaning the store in order to ensure its cleanliness and sanitary. Some days the morning would be spent on cash, carrying out debit, credit and cash transactions while carrying out a friendly conversation with the customer.
I learned that the impression you leave with a customer is very valuable and reflects on the store itself. I pride myself on my relationships with customers throughout the day and regular basis customers.
Management new what they were doing and had a very effective system in place. Co-workers were easy to get along with and all helped add to the friendly environment that Bulk Barn has created.
Hardest part of the job for myself would be trying to get nightly tasks done to perfection on a busy night, without having to make the staff stay later to ensure the job was done properly.
The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers and seeing them leave with a smile on their face.
A dynamic and friendly workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Mississauga, ON.July 10, 2012
Pros: 10% discount
Cons: short break.
At Bulk Barn, you have to check if all the stocks are full and make sure all the bins are clean and organized. You have to be friendly to the customers, be a good listener, and patient, and be confident while talking to the customers because that's where you can make some sales by explaining to them about a certain product and where they can find it. The Bulk Barn team is a very fun, energetic, helpful and friendly team. When it comes to work, they're very willing to help if someone's experiencing a problem, either a customer related, or a stock or product related. This job involves assisting the customers, stocking, and lifting. The hardest part of the three is lifting. We need to lift almost 40kgs. While the most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with the customers. That's the part where you can learn something from them, their concerns about certain products or other job related things, and their experience with Bulk Barn.
Great Co-worker Environment
Supervisor (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 17, 2015
I was challenged to re-learn how to covert grams to kilograms to pounds. The job continuously made me use my brain power which was great, was not a boring cashier position. The job had its awesome perks like the Wilton instructor who taught and was one of the best, left her example desserts with the staff, was always icing on a cake:) It was a customer service oriented job serving people and adhering to the regiment and routine to keeping bins clean and free of debris, especially during the holiday season one person was in charge of staying on the floor helping customers find the items they needed and answer questions and of course keeping stations spotless. This was always commented on how the store was so clean. Hardest part of the job getting use to memorizing codes and telling the different between certain flours. The most enjoyable part of the job was to get to know the co workers and talk with customers.
Bulk Barn is a very busy place with great environment!
Cashier and Cleaner (Current Employee), Summerside, PEJuly 17, 2015
For a typical day it is always busy with lots to do. Depending on when your shift is, depends on what you are doing. Working between 9-am and 5-pm a person normally cleans the shelves and check expiry date on the products. From 5-pm to 9-pm a person normally cleans the bins, wet pails a.k.a -the peanut butters, icing, molasses
(the worst to clean), pie filling,jams etc, then there is under sweeping a.k.a sweeping underneath the bins, and at the end mop floor except for Saturdays and Sundays. Some people are trained to do the till or cash. It can be the hardest part because of all the codes. You do have a role and some paper with all the code written down for you. Yet for me do the cash is the best part of the job.
Bulk Barn pretty well managed and my co-worker are great people and really easy to work with.
Great Enviorment
Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 15, 2013
Pros: great people, great enviorment
Cons: hard to understand co-workers
With Target being so new to Canada is was a great way to see how Target was going to show how multi-cultural it can be. While working at Target I worked in the Electronic department, as well as all over the store when a guest was in need of assistants. The management of the store was one of the best i have seen. As target was new i was hired to before start up which ment we needed to build up the store, from putting up shelves to setting up product. The first couple weeks as we were doing set up the managment team made sure there was drinks in the fridge and as well bought lunch about 75% of the time. The best part of the job was how everyone got along, well most of the time. the harest part was because of how cultural Target was, some co-workers was hard to understand.
I wouldn't work there ever again.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJanuary 19, 2016
I was a supervisor at one of the Bulk Barn locations and I was given my job description when I had my interview but when I started my first shift I was a little surprised at how different the experience was. I barely touched the cash except to count it at the end of the night and I cleaned my entire shift. I expected to do some cleaning considering we were working with food but I felt like a janitor by the end of the day. I cleaned for 8 hours straight. I enjoyed my co-workers for the most part but working alongside the owner a few days a week I saw how unfair of a boss they were. I have never had a job that made me feel so unaccomplished and unaccepted and I was very unhappy working there.
A fast paced fun place to work
Manager, Customer Service (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJanuary 15, 2016
Customer service is one key to a successful retail business. The front line workers are the key to portray that message. Our daily task included treating our customers with respect, and listening to their comments. It is a team effort that comes from the Corporate Office and trickles down to each franchisee and their employees.
The job was interesting and you can learn something new every day, just by talking to people. The hardest part of the job is learning all the products and codes. The most enjoyable was the atmosphere of the store and continuously merchandising.
It was a great place to work, and a great company to work for.
A fun place to work
Customer service (Former Employee), Ottawa, OnJune 2, 2015
Pros: Great team members and managment
Cons: a lot of heavy lifting, not recommended to people with back pains
My time at Bulk Barn was a lot of fun. The management was great, and the other team members were great to work with. I was mainly stocking the shelves and making sure all the bins were full, but I would also help out customers when they couldn't find an item or needed assistance bringing items to their cars. I was also part of the closing team and would have to clean the floors and the tops of the bins. I would recommend Bulk Barn to anyone who would want to work in an environment where you are helping customers a lot and do some heavy lifting.
very fun possitive place
stock clerk / cashier (Former Employee), Duncan, BCApril 2, 2014
Pros: meeting a lot of friendly faces
Cons: lack of comunication
refilling product and doing cashier calls when it gets too busy for the cashier on till. on closing we clean the washrooms and receiving bay thoroughly.
the management team was amazing and very open to teaching and working alongside their staff as equals
my co-workers were quite fun to work with and easily open minded to new members
the hardest part is the first day finding out that the stock is quite heavy
the most enjoyable part of the job would be helping customers find the product in the store seeing their faces light up from the one on one service we provided
Fun for a single man with nothing holding you down
LEAD MERCHANDISER (Former Employee), Richmond hill/Travel abroadFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: a lot of traveling across canada
Cons: long under payed hours, no social life
The people themselves were great. Everybody was respectful and professional. But it being a family own business you can't expect advancement within the company unless your long time friends with the owners.

If you are on the road crew as I was you will have a lot of fun on the road but prepare for very long hours with little free time and even less sleep.

However if you work in the warehouse and rest assured you will be, road crew or not. You will be stuck in a cluttered warehouse with no windows and non-stop repetitive tasks.
Scare-tactics, Nitpicking and Micro-management thought to be good
Stock (Current Employee), Red DeerApril 24, 2014
Pros: customers
Cons: long hours. psychotic, dysfunctional feminist supervisors. low pay. ripped me off a few days of work on payday.
a typical day at Bulk Barn would be go in scared to death to talk to the supervisors. no guidance whatsoever, very little training, an abundance of nit-picking and the supervisors belittling any new meat to look proper in front of the store owners. the store owners would side with the supervisors to make face. LOADS of heavy lifting if your the only guy working any shift.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the customers.
I learned to never ask the supervisor anything.
A well-managed,diligent, and friendly workplace.
Stock Clerk and Cashier (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONFebruary 12, 2013
This job was a great experience to have as a young, working adult. It allowed for a flexible schedule, yet I always knew there was hours to work when I needed them. It was a diverse and friendly environment, thanks to excellent managing and ownership. The staff were friendly and loyal, and through my seven years there I never once encountered any real conflict.
Although the day-to-day work was somewhat stagnant and repetitive (cleaning, filling stock), that is to expected of a retail job, and I was happy just to be working and staying busy.
Productive and Fun Working Place
Cashier (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 11, 2013
Pros: flexible
Cons: heavy boxes
A typical day at work included doing cash, cleaning the store, stocking the bins with food and dealing with customers. I learned how to deal with I-rate customers properly in order to make everyone happy. The management at Bulk Barn was amazing, our manager was very supportive in what I did and could talk to her about anything. My co-workers were also very supportive and friendly. The hardest part of the job was lifting heavy boxes when food needed to be restocked and the most enjoyable part was working with many fun and supportive people.