Bulk Barn Employee Reviews in Canada

Would not work here again.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMay 18, 2016
I've worked at two Bulk Barns, each for about a year and both were very negative experiences. Though I made excellent friends with the staff, we were all unappreciated. Our manager made questionable decisions pertaining to food safety and was blatantly rude to any staff who weren't supervisors. Poor pay with very few opportunities to move-up in the company.
Pros
Positive staff
Cons
Poor management, long-hours, tedious work
good normal min wage job
Cashier/Stock Person (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 14, 2016
-basic customer service job
-learned about different products with experience
-hardest part is cash, just because of all of the different product codes
-most enjoyable part for me is stocking
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
slow shifts
Place to learn different products name.
Customer Service Representative - Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 12, 2016
Flexible hours.
Good training provided.
Staff were good.
Learn different codes of the product.
Name of the product.
Clean store along with the bins.
Easy going and relaxed workplace with cleaning and customer service as a priority
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ONMay 7, 2016
A typical day includes time on cash, doing face-to-face transactions with a variety of customers, maintaining the cleanliness of all product in the store, maintaining the floor displays of product. We are also assigned different tasks before closing to make sure the store is in pristine condition for the following morning.If working early in the morning, product is rotated so all of the older product is sold first to keep most food fresh still.

I've learned through working as a supervisor here to not bring personal matters into the workplace as it can be reflected in the given work ethic whether it's been noted in my own or in others.

Hardest part of the job is finding more to do if you get ahead of schedule, however it is always easy to find something to do.

Cleaning is high priority as you deal with food on a daily basis. There is a high standard for cleanliness.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction one gets to have with the large variety of clientele. Along with that is the incredibly friendly staff on hand at all times making all new employees feel welcome.
Pros
Flexible hours and scheduling
Cons
Some lack focus on their work
Clean but crazy place to work
Sales Associate/Key Holder/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Maple, ONMay 3, 2016
A lot of cleaning which was necessary as the store got dirty quick when you sell food products. Your co-workers are what will save you from going crazy. Customer inquiries were the hardest part of the job as they assume you know everything about their culture and their food that they cook. A lot of the time it is guess work as you are trying to figure out what product they are looking for such as "sume sume" is actually sesame seeds (in case you were wondering).
Pros
Good co-workers understand your pain
Cons
On your feet all shift, need to be able to lift heavy bags
bulk barn
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABMay 3, 2016
I find that the Management was very poor, but it was very clean due to everyone cleaning whenever possible.

we had to clean scoop every few hours. swept under all the bins, washed the floors every night before we left the store.

Co-workers were amazing beside when if came to the mangers because the never did anything.
great teamwork
Stock Boy (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 25, 2016
Job requires alot of heavy lifting and gets tiring at times but the team keeps a great positive attitude which makes working easier
Very Fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 25, 2016
Great people to work with everyday was a great environment to work in. The job was easy and straight forward so its great for everyone.
Store Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 21, 2016
just as the title says. I enjoyed my time working for Bulk Barn, the Manager was awesome both as a boss and as a coworker who would go out of his way to make sure you're okay inside work and out. Same goes for the owner of the store as well, a couple of months after I left he called me personally to see how I was doing and even sent me a gift for my newborn child after finding out. The coworkers were more like friends and family and everyone goes out of their way to help each other every day. There are few jobs that I would go back to and this is one of them
Pros
everything
Cons
occasional bad customers
Fun Workplace
Cashier, inventory (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 20, 2016
Coworkers were fun to work with, learned how to stock, use the cash register, learned more about customer service. Co-workers were fun to work with
Pros
Nice Coworkers
Cons
Hard work with minimal praise or rewards.
Jr. District Manager (Current Employee) –  VariousApril 14, 2016
A lot of appreciate the company that gave me the opportunity to advance my life, but positive feedback was always minimal. You were expected to work 10-12 hours a day, the ability to have a social life is tough. No rewards or motivation to do well, you need to be self motivated and be able to grind through challenging, even impossible circumstances. Must be mentally strong. Love my co-workers
Pros
Travel
Cons
Frequent 12 plus hour days
N/A (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ONApril 12, 2016
Fantastic building and great employee perks, a great company to work for. The owner is great and he takes care of his employees.
productive and busy
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONApril 12, 2016
Lots of memorization needed, and working fast to clean store. Management was organized. Hardest part of the job was the fast environment, with customers and remembering all the codes before they got annoyed.
Fast Paced
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMarch 23, 2016
A typical day includes lots of cleaning and making sure customers are well taken care of. A normal shift will include returning products to their correct bins/shelves, wiping down ever bin lid, washing scoops, and cleaning the floor, counters and cash registers.

I've learned to perfect my multitasking skills along with problem solving. I have also learned incredible product knowledge and placement.

Management and co-workers are key in a successful shift and I couldn't ask for better ones!
Would Recommend
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMarch 22, 2016
Typical day: vacuum all bins, clean all bins, help customers throughout shift, help on 2nd cash throughout shift, set up sale items at end of night

Learned: cleanliness

Management: some good, some not so good; owner's are terrifying

Co-workers: friendly, good people

Hardest part: making sure everything is spotless so that we don't get in trouble

Best part: the people I worked with
Pros
Working with great people
Cons
Getting hit on by creepy old men; strict rules
I enjoy my job and the people I work with
Supervisor/cashier/stock person (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ONMarch 2, 2016
Typical day at bulk bulk includes greeting and assisting customers, cashing out the customers,making sure they are satisfied with their visit, cleaning duties to be done daily,stocking shelves and ensuring all daily duties are complete by the end of the work day, balancing of registers and store is secured. The best part of my position is interacting with customers,hardest part is keeping busy as it is a slower type of retail.To ensure I am busy during the entire shift,I tend to constantly clean.The manager is very kind and willing to work around another schedule if I was to find another job.
Good and welcoming workplace
Cashier and Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONFebruary 24, 2016
Wonderful employees working together to provide amazing customer service. A thoroughly pleasant environment led by a flexible and helpful manager.
Overview of Duties
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 21, 2016
-Usually 3-5 hours on cash
-Otherwise cleaning bins,totes,tubs etc.
-Facing products
-Memorization of Codes
-Filling spices and teas
-Providing customer service and advice on product
-Mopping floors
-Cleaning bathrooms
-Pricing items
Pros
Discounts within store and plaza
Cons
Supervisors are unfair
helpin customers
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONFebruary 19, 2016
I would recommend anyone working here amazing small business with not a lot of co workers so the hours there great. for the little time I worked here I enjoyed when I was at work and was always busy so the time went by fast
It was a great place to work for a while.
Cashier and Stock (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 8, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed the majority of my time at Bulk Barn. Up until new management arrived the typical day would be, you clock in, greet your fellow employees, and either stock product or cash out customers. I refined my customer interaction and up selling skills in my time here. I excelled at being a cashier fairly quick. My coworkers were great. You could comfortably work with any of them without feeling like your being judged. There were two coworkers who came into the workplace around the new year who would constantly berate a majority of the employees in front of other employees while the employee of topic wasn't there. I would have to say keeping an upbeat attitude while working with either of those two was the hardest part of the job. Truth be told that was still fairly simple. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the great people I was working with and interacting with the variety of customers who came from all walks of life. Some of the stories I've heard from the more regular customers were really quite inspiring.
Pros
Flexible workplace
Cons
Slightly abusive employer