Bulk Barn Employee Reviews

Friendly "small town" environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON13 December 2016
The store itself is kept to very strict cleaning standards that are required from all employees. Many customers come in with very positive comments about the cleanliness of the store.

The franchisees of the store are extremely welcoming and kind people, willing to accommodate requests from customers and staff members.

The job involves learning to differentiate between vast varieties of bulk food products from sight, also to be able to memorize the product codes for faster service to the customers.

Due to the very low turnover rate there is very little room for advancement. There are no benefits offered to staff. There are no full time positions offered.
Pros
Flexible hours, Improves food knowledge
Cons
No medical benefits, Part time only
Worst place to work
Cashier/Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC20 August 2016
After 5 years of service, and multiple requests for raises I have received nothing. Corporate demands hard working service, but then refuses to pay its employees for that service. I've been stuck at minimum wage since day one of employment. I do not recommend getting a job here or supporting this store. Management is corrupt and should be changed.
Cons
Relaxed and understanding employees and great co-workers.
Stock/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON10 August 2016
Part-time employees get most of the night shifts (4-9:30) and so you end up closing the store. This includes facing the isles, sweeping and moping the floors, doing returns, etc. When you are not closing the store you are either stocking or cashing out customers. The staff are great but sometimes you end getting a lot of food on your clothes. Would not recommend job to people with nut allergies since there are a lot of nuts in the store.
Pros
Great people and close-knit crew
Cons
No employee benefits
Comfortable work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 September 2016
Everyone there is very friendly. I always had a great time working there with such fun people. Everyone there is close almost like family. There is always something to do there with constant cleaning and tiding up between customers.
Pros
reasonable salary, good management
Cons
not enough hours
Worst place to work!
Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montreal-nord, QC10 June 2016
This is the worst company I have ever worked for. There are no chances of salary augmentation, No employee room to sit and eat, No microwave, No fridge, No insurance, No employee discounts, they offer absolutely nothing. Employees are treated really bad and are not allowed to complain. But recently a friend of mine who still works at one of their stores told me that some of the bulk barn store are now unionized. Good gob for whoever accomplished that because this company needed it!.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Hours are unstable. Hours keep getting cut
terrible!
cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON28 June 2016
Family comes first at the Aurora Bulk Barn!
Family gets prime shifts, takes food for free and rubs it in our faces, acts superior. Bad pay, no benefits.
Pros
Cons
bad owners/family
Productive and enjoyable work environment
Stock Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 October 2016
Working with bulk barn I have acquired more skills in leadership and delegation of tasks. I work hand and hand with the franchisee and merchandise the store on a regular basis. I make executive decisions with the store product, such as sell off of inventory, creating sale items, and adding and removing products from the sales floor. The most enjoyable part of the workplace is the leadership of people looking up to me, and being able to create a productive and enjoyable workplace for others, while monitoring efficiency and customer care.
Do not waist your time.
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Bradford, ont29 December 2016
Every young staff and management, with little or no experience. Most of your day cleaning and stocking. Serve customers when needed.
Pros
Customers were every nice
Cons
Long hours cleaning, while staff hide in office
I learnt so much in my jobs that I intend to carry on going forward to a future job
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC7 January 2017
My daily job was was very busy. I had many things that I was required to do, but also things that I took upon myself to complete. When I first started with Bulk Barn there was so many things I didn't know about Gluten Free and Non GMO products and just some food products in general and now I'm very familiar with them and have personally used myself. The staff that I worked with are fantastic past and present. My previous manager (she moved to different employment) couldn't have been a better a manager. The most enjoyable part of my job has to be the new people that I meet each and everyday. The hardest part of my job is learning and maintaining all the new codes that are only seasonal.
Learning experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hawkesbury, ON17 October 2016
Bulk barn was my first job. honestly not too bad of a place to work other than the fact that corporate doesnt care too much about their employees and have very high expectations. If you aren't very organized or willing to clean a lot, bulk barn is not for you. Do not reccomend as a first job because being a cashier requires a lot of memorization and focus to recognize products and codes. But overall its a good learning experience and I have no regrets working there. I quit because school and work were getting too much to handle.
Pros
good learning experience, yummy candy, solid work routine, decent hours, made some friends with coworkers
Cons
corporate, stressful during the weekends, cash is harder than usual cash job, intense cleaning routine
Bulk Barn
Supervisor/ Stock (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 August 2016
While Bulk Barn has Corporate and franchise locations I am currently with a corporate location that had just opened this January (2016).
I have learned a lot of this company and what it takes to run this type of store. It requires quite a bit of patience and integrity; with that i have grown more than I thought possible.
My co-workers are like family there is always different types of personalities which one must accept even if not likable.
We currently have about eight people working here which at times is "trying" due to not enough people to cover shifts and overload of expectations from head office.
On the bright side Management does make attempts to have an easy going environment, until it becomes to laid back. I believe there should be staff meetings which there has not been one.
I enjoy the cleaning of shelves and organizing of new and old product. The customers are also an enjoyment as we have some great regulars. I also enjoy keeping busy and there is always something to do at Bulk Barn!
Pros
Great experience for my resume
Cons
Supervisor pay is twenty five cents more than minimum wage.
good place to if you wish to advance your self in a work environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC26 October 2016
Fun place to work

Always something to do to keep busy

long days

lots of cleaning

hardest part of the job is all the different codes to remember

most enjoyable part all the new items that come in for holidays
Pros
Discount on wednesdays
Low amounts of stress
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB8 January 2017
This was my first real job and this is where I first learnt about customer service. As I've always been a friendly person so learning about customer service was relatively easy.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Fun place to work with great people
SUPERVISOR/CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC3 February 2016
I love the people I work with on a daily basis, the place has become like a small family. The customers are usually pretty great, with many returning time and time again. The manager is fantastic, she's caring and tries her best to keep everyone happy.
Pros
My coworkers, and the experience I've gained
Cons
no room for growth, no benefits, no discount
work with nice people
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 October 2016
It is a very busy store, we do lots of cleaning. I work in all parts of the store, stock, cash , opening and closing the store and help in training new staff.
Pros
it is close to my home and the staff is friendly
Cons
no breaks, and long hours.
Coworkers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON11 November 2016
Get along with them nicely, though not much advancement and always doing the same thing with no new learning

Enjoy talking with customers and learn new things from them with the products they buy
Fast-paced and customer oriented environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2017
A typical work day included work on the cash registers, cleaning the store (barrels, shelves, cash registers, etc), filling stock products on delivery days and from overstock products kept in the backroom, organizing the backroom, putting products on display in visually appealing ways, facing products, and nightly cleaning (washing scoops, sweeping, mopping).
Bulk Barn
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON12 December 2016
Working for Bulk Barn was an okay experience. I suggest it as a first time job as there is no hours to be given. Everyday consisted of cleaning every counter, and every product lid and scoop. Cleanliness is very important in these stores.
Pros
Some of the staff members I worked with were amazingly friendly, patient and helpful.
Cons
Lack of hours, no room to move up in the company, and the owners are generally intimidating.
Entry level jobs
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  British Columbia24 November 2016
The company is an entry level job company there is very minimal perks to working for Bulk Barn. As a corporate employee you feel less important and more of an inconvenience. Wage increases do not happen, The people in individual stores make a difference but as a corporation it is less then enjoyable.
Pros
I get a paycheck
Cons
I get a small paycheck
Good atmosphere, good place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB21 December 2016
Always lots to be done, especially cleaning and stocking. Customer service is important but the stores are not shopped heavily except during holidays, so minimal customer service. Lots of variety in products and therefore there is a big learning curve.
Pros
Variety of work
Cons
Heavy lifting

2.8