Bulk Barn Employee Reviews

Productive and enjoyable work environment
Stock Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 October 2016
Working with bulk barn I have acquired more skills in leadership and delegation of tasks. I work hand and hand with the franchisee and merchandise the store on a regular basis. I make executive decisions with the store product, such as sell off of inventory, creating sale items, and adding and removing products from the sales floor. The most enjoyable part of the workplace is the leadership of people looking up to me, and being able to create a productive and enjoyable workplace for others, while monitoring efficiency and customer care.
Learning experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hawkesbury, ON17 October 2016
Bulk barn was my first job. honestly not too bad of a place to work other than the fact that corporate doesnt care too much about their employees and have very high expectations. If you aren't very organized or willing to clean a lot, bulk barn is not for you. Do not reccomend as a first job because being a cashier requires a lot of memorization and focus to recognize products and codes. But overall its a good learning experience and I have no regrets working there. I quit because school and work were getting too much to handle.
Pros
good learning experience, yummy candy, solid work routine, decent hours, made some friends with coworkers
Cons
corporate, stressful during the weekends, cash is harder than usual cash job, intense cleaning routine
Busy, yet simple work.
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 August 2016
A lot of carrying around large bags of bulk food and putting them into the correct bins. Demands some level of organizational skill and ability to repeat the same task over and over. Everyone was neatly managed and knew what they should do for the day, while offering assistance to anyone else if required. The hardest part of the job was keeping track of all the differently labelled boxes and bags in the back storage.
Entry level jobs
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  British Columbia24 November 2016
The company is an entry level job company there is very minimal perks to working for Bulk Barn. As a corporate employee you feel less important and more of an inconvenience. Wage increases do not happen, The people in individual stores make a difference but as a corporation it is less then enjoyable.
Pros
I get a paycheck
Cons
I get a small paycheck
Relaxed and understanding employees and great co-workers.
Stock/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON10 August 2016
Part-time employees get most of the night shifts (4-9:30) and so you end up closing the store. This includes facing the isles, sweeping and moping the floors, doing returns, etc. When you are not closing the store you are either stocking or cashing out customers. The staff are great but sometimes you end getting a lot of food on your clothes. Would not recommend job to people with nut allergies since there are a lot of nuts in the store.
Pros
Great people and close-knit crew
Cons
No employee benefits
Worst place to work
Cashier/Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC20 August 2016
After 5 years of service, and multiple requests for raises I have received nothing. Corporate demands hard working service, but then refuses to pay its employees for that service. I've been stuck at minimum wage since day one of employment. I do not recommend getting a job here or supporting this store. Management is corrupt and should be changed.
Cons
good place to if you wish to advance your self in a work environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC26 October 2016
Fun place to work

Always something to do to keep busy

long days

lots of cleaning

hardest part of the job is all the different codes to remember

most enjoyable part all the new items that come in for holidays
Pros
Discount on wednesdays
Cons
Fast pace, friendly environment with helpful coworkers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 July 2016
Working at Bulk Barn I learned how to work quickly and efficient under pressure independently as well as as a team to get the needs of the customers met and satisfied. I learned how to problem solve on my own such as finding the codes and products I was not familiar with for the customers.
Pros
great environment, friendly coworkers, learning experiences
Cons
non flexible hours
Comfortable work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 September 2016
Everyone there is very friendly. I always had a great time working there with such fun people. Everyone there is close almost like family. There is always something to do there with constant cleaning and tiding up between customers.
Pros
reasonable salary, good management
Cons
not enough hours
Was able to work with old friends while making new great friends.Good training.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON19 July 2016
Performed a variety of different tasks.
Everything was always changing, so forced us to adapt quickly and often.
Was within walking distance.
Hard to bus to though.
Great co-workers.
Pros
Great training, made great lifelong friends.
Cons
Management was not great. And Favouritism.
Worst place to work!
Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montreal-nord, QC10 June 2016
This is the worst company I have ever worked for. There are no chances of salary augmentation, No employee room to sit and eat, No microwave, No fridge, No insurance, No employee discounts, they offer absolutely nothing. Employees are treated really bad and are not allowed to complain. But recently a friend of mine who still works at one of their stores told me that some of the bulk barn store are now unionized. Good gob for whoever accomplished that because this company needed it!.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Hours are unstable. Hours keep getting cut
Some good, some bad
Corporate Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Canada25 November 2016
There are some great people that work for the Bulk Barn corporate office. Alternatively Bulk Barn tends to employ a number of "friends" into jobs where they are really not qualified for or just feel so entitled they don't do their jobs.
Dealing with the puplic
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 July 2016
I was a cashier. learned a lot about bulk foods. The new manager was hard to deal with. Loved working with my co-workers. Filling the bins and spices was hard. Had to be careful with the spices if you got it in your eyes with some of them it burned. The most enjoyable part was working with the puplic.
Pros
Working with bulk foods
Cons
The hours
Fun, exciting, great place to work!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 December 2016
Amazing people to work with, everyone is very nice! It does get a little hard, but becoming friends with everyone that works there makes the day go by much faster.
Pros
free food, friendly people
Cons
Managment is sometimes confusing
work with nice people
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 October 2016
It is a very busy store, we do lots of cleaning. I work in all parts of the store, stock, cash , opening and closing the store and help in training new staff.
Pros
it is close to my home and the staff is friendly
Cons
no breaks, and long hours.
Would not work here again.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON18 May 2016
I've worked at two Bulk Barns, each for about a year and both were very negative experiences. Though I made excellent friends with the staff, we were all unappreciated. Our manager made questionable decisions pertaining to food safety and was blatantly rude to any staff who weren't supervisors. Poor pay with very few opportunities to move-up in the company.
Pros
Positive staff
Cons
Poor management, long-hours, tedious work
Great coworkers, awful management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 June 2016
There's a lack of communication between management and employees. Management is immature, back area was a safety hazard. Food regulations were barely followed to code. But overall coworkers were great and it was a fairly easy job.
Pros
Easy job, great coworkers
Cons
Poor management, no communication
Very reliable business to grow with
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 August 2016
This business is a great first job, many chances to grow and advance with the company. The staff has great training skills, and are very understanding. And they are very flexible with your schedule.
Pros
amazing staff
Cons
lots of cleaning
love working there
Store Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 June 2016
they have the best managers. the day goes by fast, it is a good job because we gets a discount on products and i like to lift and moves stuff that is heavy since im a workout monkey.
hardest part of job is doing cashier since theres are hundreds of codes to know, easiest part is everything else
Clean but crazy place to work
Sales Associate/Key Holder/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Maple, ON3 May 2016
A lot of cleaning which was necessary as the store got dirty quick when you sell food products. Your co-workers are what will save you from going crazy. Customer inquiries were the hardest part of the job as they assume you know everything about their culture and their food that they cook. A lot of the time it is guess work as you are trying to figure out what product they are looking for such as "sume sume" is actually sesame seeds (in case you were wondering).
Pros
Good co-workers understand your pain
Cons
On your feet all shift, need to be able to lift heavy bags

2.8