Bulk Barn Employee Reviews in Canada

terrible!
cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ONJune 28, 2016
Family comes first at the Aurora Bulk Barn!
Family gets prime shifts, takes food for free and rubs it in our faces, acts superior. Bad pay, no benefits.
Pros
Cons
bad owners/family
Great coworkers, awful management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 28, 2016
There's a lack of communication between management and employees. Management is immature, back area was a safety hazard. Food regulations were barely followed to code. But overall coworkers were great and it was a fairly easy job.
Pros
Easy job, great coworkers
Cons
Poor management, no communication
love working there
Store Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 23, 2016
they have the best managers. the day goes by fast, it is a good job because we gets a discount on products and i like to lift and moves stuff that is heavy since im a workout monkey.
hardest part of job is doing cashier since theres are hundreds of codes to know, easiest part is everything else
Worst place to work!
Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montreal-nord, QCJune 10, 2016
This is the worst company I have ever worked for. There are no chances of salary augmentation, No employee room to sit and eat, No microwave, No fridge, No insurance, No employee discounts, they offer absolutely nothing. Employees are treated really bad and are not allowed to complain. But recently a friend of mine who still works at one of their stores told me that some of the bulk barn store are now unionized. Good gob for whoever accomplished that because this company needed it!.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Hours are unstable. Hours keep getting cut
No opportunities available
Store operations (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ONJune 8, 2016
No effort for employee retention, always seems to try to bring talent in for higher prices rather than promote or train from within.
Worst place I have ever worked
cashier and stock associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJune 8, 2016
This was the worst job I have ever worked at. The management was terrible, the staff was useless, and the pay wasn't good enough to justify what you have to put up with working there.
Cons
Good place to work, lots of cleaning, product knowledge, and tricky cash register
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJune 2, 2016
Working at Bulk Barn you learn a lot. Not just job experience but you learn a lot of product knowledge. The majority of the job is cleaning and assisting customers.
Typically during the day you are filling stock, cleaning, assisting customers, making signs, merchandising, and rotating product.
The best part of the job is the relationships you can build with customers based on sharing the same interests in products. I would have customers coming in and showing me pictures of the cakes they made or bringing me a treat in from a recipe they tried out.
The hardest part of the jobs is the explaining of weight and how much customers are getting in comparisons to buying in package. Also not being able to return bulk items due to health and safety regulations.
Management can be good depending on who you work for. Some of the store are corporately owned and some are owned by a franchisee (someone who bought the store and owns it under the Bulk Barn name).
I worked for a franchisee and she was great. She was extremely flexible, offered a nice discount, and took pride of her store and staff.
Working for a corporate store is a lot more of a strict position. They offer no discount to staff and expect fairly open schedules.
Overall, working at Bulk Barn was a great experience for me. Mostly because of my manager and the people I worked with. The job itself can be daunting and the cash register training is hard to grasp due to having to understand weight measurements, product knowledge, and remembering code numbers.
I would recommend Bulk Barn to anyone who wants a challenge and has
  more... a passion for baking/ cooking.  less
Pros
product knowledge, decent hours for part time, discount (if franchisee)
Cons
no discount (if corporately owned), cleaning constantly can be boring, tricky cash register
Productive and learning setting
Cashier/Cassière (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 24, 2016
-Customers were very friendly and patient
-Manager took the time to know you
-Co-workers were very helpful with open hearts
-Codes were meant to be memorized
Pros
Customers and workplace
Cons
Inventory
Would not work here again.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMay 18, 2016
I've worked at two Bulk Barns, each for about a year and both were very negative experiences. Though I made excellent friends with the staff, we were all unappreciated. Our manager made questionable decisions pertaining to food safety and was blatantly rude to any staff who weren't supervisors. Poor pay with very few opportunities to move-up in the company.
Pros
Positive staff
Cons
Poor management, long-hours, tedious work
good normal min wage job
Cashier/Stock Person (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 14, 2016
-basic customer service job
-learned about different products with experience
-hardest part is cash, just because of all of the different product codes
-most enjoyable part for me is stocking
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
slow shifts
Place to learn different products name.
Customer Service Representative - Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 12, 2016
Flexible hours.
Good training provided.
Staff were good.
Learn different codes of the product.
Name of the product.
Clean store along with the bins.
Easy going and relaxed workplace with cleaning and customer service as a priority
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ONMay 7, 2016
A typical day includes time on cash, doing face-to-face transactions with a variety of customers, maintaining the cleanliness of all product in the store, maintaining the floor displays of product. We are also assigned different tasks before closing to make sure the store is in pristine condition for the following morning.If working early in the morning, product is rotated so all of the older product is sold first to keep most food fresh still.

I've learned through working as a supervisor here to not bring personal matters into the workplace as it can be reflected in the given work ethic whether it's been noted in my own or in others.

Hardest part of the job is finding more to do if you get ahead of schedule, however it is always easy to find something to do.

Cleaning is high priority as you deal with food on a daily basis. There is a high standard for cleanliness.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction one gets to have with the large variety of clientele. Along with that is the incredibly friendly staff on hand at all times making all new employees feel welcome.
Pros
Flexible hours and scheduling
Cons
Some lack focus on their work
Clean but crazy place to work
Sales Associate/Key Holder/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Maple, ONMay 3, 2016
A lot of cleaning which was necessary as the store got dirty quick when you sell food products. Your co-workers are what will save you from going crazy. Customer inquiries were the hardest part of the job as they assume you know everything about their culture and their food that they cook. A lot of the time it is guess work as you are trying to figure out what product they are looking for such as "sume sume" is actually sesame seeds (in case you were wondering).
Pros
Good co-workers understand your pain
Cons
On your feet all shift, need to be able to lift heavy bags
bulk barn
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABMay 3, 2016
I find that the Management was very poor, but it was very clean due to everyone cleaning whenever possible.

we had to clean scoop every few hours. swept under all the bins, washed the floors every night before we left the store.

Co-workers were amazing beside when if came to the mangers because the never did anything.
great teamwork
Stock Boy (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 25, 2016
Job requires alot of heavy lifting and gets tiring at times but the team keeps a great positive attitude which makes working easier
Very Fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 25, 2016
Great people to work with everyday was a great environment to work in. The job was easy and straight forward so its great for everyone.
Store Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 21, 2016
just as the title says. I enjoyed my time working for Bulk Barn, the Manager was awesome both as a boss and as a coworker who would go out of his way to make sure you're okay inside work and out. Same goes for the owner of the store as well, a couple of months after I left he called me personally to see how I was doing and even sent me a gift for my newborn child after finding out. The coworkers were more like friends and family and everyone goes out of their way to help each other every day. There are few jobs that I would go back to and this is one of them
Pros
everything
Cons
occasional bad customers
Fun Workplace
Cashier, inventory (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 20, 2016
Coworkers were fun to work with, learned how to stock, use the cash register, learned more about customer service. Co-workers were fun to work with
Pros
Nice Coworkers
Cons
Hard work with minimal praise or rewards.
Jr. District Manager (Current Employee) –  VariousApril 14, 2016
A lot of appreciate the company that gave me the opportunity to advance my life, but positive feedback was always minimal. You were expected to work 10-12 hours a day, the ability to have a social life is tough. No rewards or motivation to do well, you need to be self motivated and be able to grind through challenging, even impossible circumstances. Must be mentally strong. Love my co-workers
Pros
Travel
Cons
Frequent 12 plus hour days
N/A (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ONApril 12, 2016
Fantastic building and great employee perks, a great company to work for. The owner is great and he takes care of his employees.