Bulk Barn

Bulk Barn Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Bulk Barn is a very busy place with great environment!
Cashier and Cleaner (Current Employee), Summerside, PEJuly 17, 2015
For a typical day it is always busy with lots to do. Depending on when your shift is, depends on what you are doing. Working between 9-am and 5-pm a person normally cleans the shelves and check expiry date on the products. From 5-pm to 9-pm a person normally cleans the bins, wet pails a.k.a -the peanut butters, icing, molasses
(the worst to clean), pie filling,jams etc, then there is under sweeping a.k.a sweeping underneath the bins, and at the end mop floor except for Saturdays and Sundays. Some people are trained to do the till or cash. It can be the hardest part because of all the codes. You do have a role and some paper with all the code written down for you. Yet for me do the cash is the best part of the job.
Bulk Barn pretty well managed and my co-worker are great people and really easy to work with.
It was fun!!!
Cashier (Current Employee), Mississauga, OntJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Nice Employees, fun!!
Cons: Not a lot of hours
I currently worked for Bulk Barn for three years and it was a fun place to work for. Got to work with a lot of products and learning the products as you go. The cons was getting to memorize the numbers for more 1,000 products. Employees asking what's the number for this? as weighting. As working with employees working as a team is awesome at Bulk Barn. The management was okay if you didn't call in sick a lot. But if you are young it's a great place to work at!! and it's a great first job. It's fast pace and have to have a lot of knowledge. Good Luck!!
Loved it
Supervisor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 29, 2015
My time there was great. However, I'll be completely honest and say I really only loved it because of my co workers. They were a great bunch. The job itself its the most fun and easiest, but its not like torture. It isnt as demandig as working at like a McDonalds. We did stock, handle cash transactions. The hardest pasrts were dealing with customers and their snacking/using theirhands, and of course, memorizing all the codes. But the scroll at the front cash helped a bunch. Each store is different, so I suppose you'll have to judge on your own.
Friendly workspace with lovely staff
Cashier (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 23, 2015
Pros: excellent staff and atmosphere
I thoroughly enjoy the company and camaraderie of my coworkers. Although certain tasks may be tedious at times it's the good work ethic and encouragement I receive from my peers that really keeps me going.
Typical Work Day
Cashier/Stock (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONJune 16, 2015
On a typical work day I would come into work, greet my boss and she would catch me up on any important info regarding customers, the store, products, staff, upcoming events, etc. I will then begin to either a) hop on cash and serve customers
b) clean lids or other things in the store
c) a combo of both

This is all prep normally to close the store (As i work mostly evenings because I'm enrolled in school)

I close the store, mop the store, go through routine closing procedures
It was okay.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), GuelphJune 9, 2015
I gained a lot of customer service skills I did not have before. I enjoyed the customers that come into the store. The products are amazing and high quality.
A fun place to work
Customer service (Former Employee), Ottawa, OnJune 2, 2015
Pros: Great team members and managment
Cons: a lot of heavy lifting, not recommended to people with back pains
My time at Bulk Barn was a lot of fun. The management was great, and the other team members were great to work with. I was mainly stocking the shelves and making sure all the bins were full, but I would also help out customers when they couldn't find an item or needed assistance bringing items to their cars. I was also part of the closing team and would have to clean the floors and the tops of the bins. I would recommend Bulk Barn to anyone who would want to work in an environment where you are helping customers a lot and do some heavy lifting.
Productive and stimulating
Supervisor (Former Employee), Cambridge, OntarioMay 14, 2015
Pros: Many discounts on items
Cons: Back breaking work
- Stock rotation of bulk food products
- Cleaning of front store and back room
- Counting the safe and balancing tills
- Entering daily figures onto spreadsheets
- Code memorization of many products

Management was ok. Co-workers were mainly decent.

Hardest part: Lifting very heavy boxes
Most enjoyable: Working for a cool place!
Great co-workers, not so great management
Cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 4, 2015
Cons: no employee discount, long hours.
I have worked at two Bulk Barns now, and I have loved my first experience, I have moved to another to be closer to where I live and it has been honestly terrible. My first location was a franchised location, so I knew moving to a corporate store would be different. Not only was the schedule completely off, but the people who worked for corporate who came in every day would take shifts away from people without notice, actually said some racist comments to one of my co-workers who was (obviously) offended but didn't say anything for fear of losing her job. They would make us repeat tasks throughout the day, buzz for another cashier if there was one person in line besides the one we were helping, and then tell us to not do things that I was used to doing regularly at my old location (like stocking during store hours when it wasn't busy). I'm sad to of changed locations, for once I thought this was a great company, the only upside is the co-workers, for we all share this same view.
i don't like it here
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Oakville OntarioApril 16, 2015
Pros: nothing
Cons: the manager
The manager is very mean and rude. i go to work and clean and do cash. mostly clean tho. Bulk barn is not fun because of my manager
Enjoyable work with a fair atmospher
Supervisor (Current Employee), Owen Sound, ONApril 8, 2015
Pros: free cofee and tea provided daily
Cons: cleaning molasses and bulk peanutbutter
- open store, get cash registers ready/ deposits ready
-obtain head offices daily objectives as well as the franchisees daily tasks/goals
- ensure employees are performing correct tasks
-help customers with their individual needs
- very enjoyable due to staff atmosphere
- hardest part: dealing with repetitious questions from customers
Was easy to catch on since this was my second time resuming this job.
Cashier (Former Employee), Okotoks, ABApril 7, 2015
Pros: Was able to get time off when needed.
Cons: Didnt recieve enough weekly hours.
I easily picked up on all the skills and requirements that this job has because of the fact that I had worked with this company previously.
Very un organized
Store Merchandiser (Former Employee), Aurora, ONMarch 12, 2015
The managers had very limited access to head office, so it was very hard to coordinate things properly and efficiently. I also had numerous occasions where my pay cheque was not correct and was missing hours. Mostly because of poor communication between supervisors and payroll.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Welland, ONMarch 7, 2015
This was my first job and it is a great starting place for everyone. It teaches you hard work and helps you with memorization. I am able to remember numbers very easily and I credit that to working at the Bulk Barn
as
Supervisor (Current Employee), Oakville, ONFebruary 25, 2015
lots of fun to be with the kids all the time but can get very tiring and you will never have enough sleep no matter how hard you try
Fun and interesting
Cashier (Former Employee), Fort Erie OntarioJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: learning about different products
I learned a lot working at the Bulk Barn, liked learning about a lot of the products in the store. Co workers and management were easy to get along with could ask anyone when u had a question about anything. Cashed out customers and cleaned on a daily basics.
Working At Bulk Barn
Cashier & Shelf Cleaner (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: great staff, fast paced
Cons: managers, workload, salary
When I worked at Bulk Barn, there were more negatives then there were positives. To begin with, each shift at Bulk Barn required a heavy amount of cleaning on top of dealing with customers who came in. Cleaning the shelves, the buckets, counter tops, floors and utensils were difficult to keep up while being able to go on cash consistently. These jobs were constant in every shift. Although most of the time I can handle stress well, working at Bulk Barn was a heavy workload for not a decent pay. Despite the hardships, a benefit of working there was being able to work fast paced in order to get all tasks finished on time and perfecting that skill by the end of my employment there. My co-workers were also a huge part as to why Bulk Barn was a successful job. This is mainly because I was well trained and I was able to keep up with their level of leadership, as well as further developing my own. To conclude, although having a few benefits, Bulk Barn was a very horrible place to work due to the heavy workload, horrible salary, and terrible managers.
a work at your own pace environment
Shift Supervisor/Stock Boy (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABJanuary 10, 2015
A typical day includes stocking orders and back stocking the rest in a clean and efficient way. The worst part of the job is cleaning at tyne end of the day, you WILL be expected to be bending over for 20 minutes every day sweeping under bins.
Great Beginning
Stock Handler (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 30, 2014
Pros: great staff
Typical day serving customers , prep and handling food and working on cash.
learnt to work in a stressful and fast paced environment
good co -workers
hardest part of the job taking out the compacted trash, and watching the management promote and have favouritisms based on their own ethnicity.
most enjoyable part of the job , Food and the co workers.
unhealthy workplace
Store Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 12, 2014
The company don't care about your heath. They don't help you lift heavy bags.

1 2 3 4