Bulk Barn Employee Reviews

Friendly "small town" environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON13 December 2016
The store itself is kept to very strict cleaning standards that are required from all employees. Many customers come in with very positive comments about the cleanliness of the store.

The franchisees of the store are extremely welcoming and kind people, willing to accommodate requests from customers and staff members.

The job involves learning to differentiate between vast varieties of bulk food products from sight, also to be able to memorize the product codes for faster service to the customers.

Due to the very low turnover rate there is very little room for advancement. There are no benefits offered to staff. There are no full time positions offered.
Pros
Flexible hours, Improves food knowledge
Cons
No medical benefits, Part time only
Worst place to work
Cashier/Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC20 August 2016
After 5 years of service, and multiple requests for raises I have received nothing. Corporate demands hard working service, but then refuses to pay its employees for that service. I've been stuck at minimum wage since day one of employment. I do not recommend getting a job here or supporting this store. Management is corrupt and should be changed.
Cons
Relaxed and understanding employees and great co-workers.
Stock/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON10 August 2016
Part-time employees get most of the night shifts (4-9:30) and so you end up closing the store. This includes facing the isles, sweeping and moping the floors, doing returns, etc. When you are not closing the store you are either stocking or cashing out customers. The staff are great but sometimes you end getting a lot of food on your clothes. Would not recommend job to people with nut allergies since there are a lot of nuts in the store.
Pros
Great people and close-knit crew
Cons
No employee benefits
Very helpful, family like environment!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 January 2017
A typical day for me involved mostly cleaning and customer service. During the day I would be doing shelf cleaning, barrel lids, answering questions and any other tasks assigned to me.

I learned a lot of new skills there, including how to do cash, customer service, and boosting my time management skills. Management was very helpful, and very, very understanding, making it a pleasant place to be.

The hardest part for me was the beginning. Standing for long hours was something that took about two or three weeks to really get accustomed too, and was rather painful.

What I loved the most was interacting with customers, I loved the hustle and bustle of busy days, and enjoyed cash as well.

Overall, it was a very open loving place to work, and they did an amazing job at making sure I was comfortable and my needs were met.
Comfortable work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 September 2016
Everyone there is very friendly. I always had a great time working there with such fun people. Everyone there is close almost like family. There is always something to do there with constant cleaning and tiding up between customers.
Pros
reasonable salary, good management
Cons
not enough hours
Worst place to work!
Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montreal-nord, QC10 June 2016
This is the worst company I have ever worked for. There are no chances of salary augmentation, No employee room to sit and eat, No microwave, No fridge, No insurance, No employee discounts, they offer absolutely nothing. Employees are treated really bad and are not allowed to complain. But recently a friend of mine who still works at one of their stores told me that some of the bulk barn store are now unionized. Good gob for whoever accomplished that because this company needed it!.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Hours are unstable. Hours keep getting cut
fun and relaxed over all great place to work if you are a college student
Supervisor/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  BC25 January 2017
I have learned so much in my 2 plus years at bulk barn, my customers are awesome and although we are on our 3rd manager in my few years us supervisors have stepped up and took on the challenge we survived. From learning all the different types of peanuts and other baking nuts, 100 plus flours, to our spice blends, candy, and gluten free options, 4000 + codes, and much, much more. If you hate cleaning this isnt the job for you. every staff member every shift is assigned at the least 1 cleaning task per day. But we are a team so we share all the repetitive cleaning. I do not wish to make this my career so not being able to move up after supervisor does not bother me at all since we do not offer assistant manager positions. Over all the company is great to work for it all depends on who your manager is and how far you wish to go with the company
Pros
customers and co workers are great
Cons
no advancement after store supervisor, minimum wage
terrible!
cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON28 June 2016
Family comes first at the Aurora Bulk Barn!
Family gets prime shifts, takes food for free and rubs it in our faces, acts superior. Bad pay, no benefits.
Pros
Cons
bad owners/family
Do not waist your time.
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Bradford, ont29 December 2016
Every young staff and management, with little or no experience. Most of your day cleaning and stocking. Serve customers when needed.
Pros
Customers were every nice
Cons
Long hours cleaning, while staff hide in office
Productive and enjoyable work environment
Stock Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 October 2016
Working with bulk barn I have acquired more skills in leadership and delegation of tasks. I work hand and hand with the franchisee and merchandise the store on a regular basis. I make executive decisions with the store product, such as sell off of inventory, creating sale items, and adding and removing products from the sales floor. The most enjoyable part of the workplace is the leadership of people looking up to me, and being able to create a productive and enjoyable workplace for others, while monitoring efficiency and customer care.
I learnt so much in my jobs that I intend to carry on going forward to a future job
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC7 January 2017
My daily job was was very busy. I had many things that I was required to do, but also things that I took upon myself to complete. When I first started with Bulk Barn there was so many things I didn't know about Gluten Free and Non GMO products and just some food products in general and now I'm very familiar with them and have personally used myself. The staff that I worked with are fantastic past and present. My previous manager (she moved to different employment) couldn't have been a better a manager. The most enjoyable part of my job has to be the new people that I meet each and everyday. The hardest part of my job is learning and maintaining all the new codes that are only seasonal.
Unproductive and unappreciative workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON31 January 2017
The hours were alright here and they were flexible when it came to school as well ad other part-time jobs, but the management was quite horrible. It was many times unclear of what was needed to be done, and who was to do the tasks. Although some people were great to work with, it was a very overall untrusting place.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Horrible management
Learning experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hawkesbury, ON17 October 2016
Bulk barn was my first job. honestly not too bad of a place to work other than the fact that corporate doesnt care too much about their employees and have very high expectations. If you aren't very organized or willing to clean a lot, bulk barn is not for you. Do not reccomend as a first job because being a cashier requires a lot of memorization and focus to recognize products and codes. But overall its a good learning experience and I have no regrets working there. I quit because school and work were getting too much to handle.
Pros
good learning experience, yummy candy, solid work routine, decent hours, made some friends with coworkers
Cons
corporate, stressful during the weekends, cash is harder than usual cash job, intense cleaning routine
good place to if you wish to advance your self in a work environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC26 October 2016
Fun place to work

Always something to do to keep busy

long days

lots of cleaning

hardest part of the job is all the different codes to remember

most enjoyable part all the new items that come in for holidays
Pros
Discount on wednesdays
Bulk Barn
Supervisor/ Stock (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 August 2016
While Bulk Barn has Corporate and franchise locations I am currently with a corporate location that had just opened this January (2016).
I have learned a lot of this company and what it takes to run this type of store. It requires quite a bit of patience and integrity; with that i have grown more than I thought possible.
My co-workers are like family there is always different types of personalities which one must accept even if not likable.
We currently have about eight people working here which at times is "trying" due to not enough people to cover shifts and overload of expectations from head office.
On the bright side Management does make attempts to have an easy going environment, until it becomes to laid back. I believe there should be staff meetings which there has not been one.
I enjoy the cleaning of shelves and organizing of new and old product. The customers are also an enjoyment as we have some great regulars. I also enjoy keeping busy and there is always something to do at Bulk Barn!
Pros
Great experience for my resume
Cons
Supervisor pay is twenty five cents more than minimum wage.
Low amounts of stress
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB8 January 2017
This was my first real job and this is where I first learnt about customer service. As I've always been a friendly person so learning about customer service was relatively easy.
Pros
Good experience
Accepting and helpful workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lindsay, ON5 February 2017
I was always made to feel like I belonged. The people whether cash, stock, or management were always kind and helpful. They made every question feel like it was a good question.
nice people
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS22 January 2017
extremely nice management, but on shipment days are very stressed and that makes everyone stressed. so management becomes a little up tight and is very hard to talk to when asking for a task to do around the store
Pros
good people
Cons
shipment days
Fast-paced and customer oriented environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2017
A typical work day included work on the cash registers, cleaning the store (barrels, shelves, cash registers, etc), filling stock products on delivery days and from overstock products kept in the backroom, organizing the backroom, putting products on display in visually appealing ways, facing products, and nightly cleaning (washing scoops, sweeping, mopping).
Coworkers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON11 November 2016
Get along with them nicely, though not much advancement and always doing the same thing with no new learning

Enjoy talking with customers and learn new things from them with the products they buy

2.8