Bulk Barn Employee Reviews

Bulk Barn
Cashier and Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON16 March 2017
I worked at bulk barn for a couple years, and was moved from a part time worker to a supervisor. I received a slight pay raise and my day-to-day job also changed. It was difficult for me because at the time we were having staffing issues, and I ended up working way more than I should of been while in school. We were all a very close group of co-workers though, which made the job really fun and enjoyable. I learned lots of leadership skills, and also how to handle many tasks and responsibilities at once.
Pros
Long lunch breaks
Cons
Too many hours
Great introduction into the workplace
Stock/Inventory/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Courtice, ON29 March 2017
I was hired at Bulk Barn, my first formal job, at age 16. In the 3 years I have spent there, I have been surrounded by very helpful, patient people who taught me all of the small intricacies of my job and didn't give up on me when I would make a mistake. After 3 years, my punctuality, work ethic and professionalism at work have greatly improved, and I have learned a lot of life skills such as interacting with people in a professional manner,
Pros
Great coworkers, Flexibility in scheduling
Cons
Not many hours
I learnt so much in my jobs that I intend to carry on going forward to a future job
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC7 January 2017
My daily job was was very busy. I had many things that I was required to do, but also things that I took upon myself to complete. When I first started with Bulk Barn there was so many things I didn't know about Gluten Free and Non GMO products and just some food products in general and now I'm very familiar with them and have personally used myself. The staff that I worked with are fantastic past and present. My previous manager (she moved to different employment) couldn't have been a better a manager. The most enjoyable part of my job has to be the new people that I meet each and everyday. The hardest part of my job is learning and maintaining all the new codes that are only seasonal.
Bulk Barn-A good and sophisticated place to work.
Sales Associate - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 March 2017
its a very good place to work and a person gets to learn a lot about different food items of different cultures and countries.
The management of the stores is done in a very good manner.
Utmost care is given at cleanliness.
Pros
learns a lot about the culture of canada as bulk barn has very diverse costumer base.
Cons
new schedule comes every week.
Fast-paced and customer oriented environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2017
A typical work day included work on the cash registers, cleaning the store (barrels, shelves, cash registers, etc), filling stock products on delivery days and from overstock products kept in the backroom, organizing the backroom, putting products on display in visually appealing ways, facing products, and nightly cleaning (washing scoops, sweeping, mopping).
Unproductive and unappreciative workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON31 January 2017
The hours were alright here and they were flexible when it came to school as well ad other part-time jobs, but the management was quite horrible. It was many times unclear of what was needed to be done, and who was to do the tasks. Although some people were great to work with, it was a very overall untrusting place.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Horrible management
Both a job and a second home
Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON13 March 2017
I have been a supervisor at Bulk Barn for almost 5 yeas and worked for the company almost 6 and honestly could not find a bad thing to say. Both at store level and in head office the people are amazing and so incredibly helpful, patient and kind.

They are always putting the customers first which makes for happy and healthy day to day for both the shopper and the staff which in my opinion is all you can ask for in any job.

A typical day at work is spent tending to both the store and the customers weather it be cleaning, filling, or working cash. There is always a task that can be worked on so you are never left standing around bored.

The hardest part of the job was learning the products and codes, but once you do it just becomes a reflex.

Needless to say, when I walk into work it isn't a place I dread going.. it is my happy place.
Productive and fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON24 February 2017
Bulkbarn is a great place to work if you want to keep busy throughout your entire shift. There is always work to do around the store and the time always flies when I am there. The employees are great people and I get along with them very well. The hardest part of the job is to maintain its cleanliness. We are always very busy so things get messy very quickly.
Very helpful, family like environment!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 January 2017
A typical day for me involved mostly cleaning and customer service. During the day I would be doing shelf cleaning, barrel lids, answering questions and any other tasks assigned to me.

I learned a lot of new skills there, including how to do cash, customer service, and boosting my time management skills. Management was very helpful, and very, very understanding, making it a pleasant place to be.

The hardest part for me was the beginning. Standing for long hours was something that took about two or three weeks to really get accustomed too, and was rather painful.

What I loved the most was interacting with customers, I loved the hustle and bustle of busy days, and enjoyed cash as well.

Overall, it was a very open loving place to work, and they did an amazing job at making sure I was comfortable and my needs were met.
Interesting people to work with, not very productive team.
Cashier/sales associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON27 January 2017
When working at the location that I was employed at, I found the team was not as productive as they could be. Work was usually left for the night shifts to complete before closing. Everyone was nice to one another but the work habits were questionable.
Pros
Interesting experience
Cons
Unproductive coworkers

Want to know more about Bulk Barn?

Ask a question
Friendly "small town" environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON13 December 2016
The store itself is kept to very strict cleaning standards that are required from all employees. Many customers come in with very positive comments about the cleanliness of the store.

The franchisees of the store are extremely welcoming and kind people, willing to accommodate requests from customers and staff members.

The job involves learning to differentiate between vast varieties of bulk food products from sight, also to be able to memorize the product codes for faster service to the customers.

Due to the very low turnover rate there is very little room for advancement. There are no benefits offered to staff. There are no full time positions offered.
Pros
Flexible hours, Improves food knowledge
Cons
No medical benefits, Part time only
Enjoyed my experance
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB18 February 2017
Being a general stocker, part-time, I enjoy how this job turned out. People were pleasant to work with. It is a good entry job for those wanting to try in life, i do not encourage it for those who slack. I learned managing product stocking, customer service, and janitorial skills. The job is also more self motivated base, not a lot of supervision.
Bulk Barn
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON12 December 2016
Working for Bulk Barn was an okay experience. I suggest it as a first time job as there is no hours to be given. Everyday consisted of cleaning every counter, and every product lid and scoop. Cleanliness is very important in these stores.
Pros
Some of the staff members I worked with were amazingly friendly, patient and helpful.
Cons
Lack of hours, no room to move up in the company, and the owners are generally intimidating.
Productive Environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS31 January 2017
Bulk Barn is a fun place to work, but the down side to working here is having to clean everything everyday. I understand it has to be sanitary but once a day is fine not multiple times a day.

Other than that everything else was fun and I loved the other employee's.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Cleaning the bins, every single day
Productive and enjoyable work environment
Stock Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 October 2016
Working with bulk barn I have acquired more skills in leadership and delegation of tasks. I work hand and hand with the franchisee and merchandise the store on a regular basis. I make executive decisions with the store product, such as sell off of inventory, creating sale items, and adding and removing products from the sales floor. The most enjoyable part of the workplace is the leadership of people looking up to me, and being able to create a productive and enjoyable workplace for others, while monitoring efficiency and customer care.
Happy, productive environemt great company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC9 January 2017
Had a wonderful time working for this company, always had great coworkers, flexible schedule and interesting customers. Team building was very important, no one was ever left to do a job they felt they could not handle and the owner took great care of the employees
Great place for a first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON9 January 2017
It was great working here, working on the responsibility of cleaning. Making sure everything is sanitary, working on learning the duties of a cashier. Knowing how to use my communication skills to help customers, how to deal with stressful situations or busy days and how to work as a team.
Entry level jobs
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  British Columbia24 November 2016
The company is an entry level job company there is very minimal perks to working for Bulk Barn. As a corporate employee you feel less important and more of an inconvenience. Wage increases do not happen, The people in individual stores make a difference but as a corporation it is less then enjoyable.
Pros
I get a paycheck
Cons
I get a small paycheck
Good atmosphere, good place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB21 December 2016
Always lots to be done, especially cleaning and stocking. Customer service is important but the stores are not shopped heavily except during holidays, so minimal customer service. Lots of variety in products and therefore there is a big learning curve.
Pros
Variety of work
Cons
Heavy lifting
Learning experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hawkesbury, ON17 October 2016
Bulk barn was my first job. honestly not too bad of a place to work other than the fact that corporate doesnt care too much about their employees and have very high expectations. If you aren't very organized or willing to clean a lot, bulk barn is not for you. Do not reccomend as a first job because being a cashier requires a lot of memorization and focus to recognize products and codes. But overall its a good learning experience and I have no regrets working there. I quit because school and work were getting too much to handle.
Pros
good learning experience, yummy candy, solid work routine, decent hours, made some friends with coworkers
Cons
corporate, stressful during the weekends, cash is harder than usual cash job, intense cleaning routine

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bulk Barn. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9