Bulk Barn Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Hard work with minimal praise or rewards.
Jr. District Manager (Current Employee), VariousApril 14, 2016
Pros: Travel
Cons: Frequent 12 plus hour days
A lot of appreciate the company that gave me the opportunity to advance my life, but positive feedback was always minimal. You were expected to work 10-12 hours a day, the ability to have a social life is tough. No rewards or motivation to do well, you need to be self motivated and be able to grind through challenging, even impossible circumstances. Must be mentally strong. Love my co-workers
Store Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 21, 2016
Pros: everything
Cons: occasional bad customers
just as the title says. I enjoyed my time working for Bulk Barn, the Manager was awesome both as a boss and as a coworker who would go out of his way to make sure you're okay inside work and out. Same goes for the owner of the store as well, a couple of months after I left he called me personally to see how I was doing and even sent me a gift for my newborn child after finding out. The coworkers were more like friends and family and everyone goes out of their way to help each other every day. There are few jobs that I would go back to and this is one of them
Would Recommend
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONMarch 22, 2016
Pros: Working with great people
Cons: Getting hit on by creepy old men; strict rules
Typical day: vacuum all bins, clean all bins, help customers throughout shift, help on 2nd cash throughout shift, set up sale items at end of night

Learned: cleanliness

Management: some good, some not so good; owner's are terrifying

Co-workers: friendly, good people

Hardest part: making sure everything is spotless so that we don't get in trouble

Best part: the people I worked with
Fast Paced
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONMarch 23, 2016
A typical day includes lots of cleaning and making sure customers are well taken care of. A normal shift will include returning products to their correct bins/shelves, wiping down ever bin lid, washing scoops, and cleaning the floor, counters and cash registers.

I've learned to perfect my multitasking skills along with problem solving. I have also learned incredible product knowledge and placement.

Management and co-workers are key in a successful shift and I couldn't ask for better ones!
I enjoy my job and the people I work with
Supervisor/cashier/stock person (Current Employee), Leamington, ONMarch 2, 2016
Typical day at bulk bulk includes greeting and assisting customers, cashing out the customers,making sure they are satisfied with their visit, cleaning duties to be done daily,stocking shelves and ensuring all daily duties are complete by the end of the work day, balancing of registers and store is secured. The best part of my position is interacting with customers,hardest part is keeping busy as it is a slower type of retail.To ensure I am busy during the entire shift,I tend to constantly clean.The manager is very kind and willing to work around another schedule if I was to find another job.
I wouldn't work there ever again.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJanuary 19, 2016
I was a supervisor at one of the Bulk Barn locations and I was given my job description when I had my interview but when I started my first shift I was a little surprised at how different the experience was. I barely touched the cash except to count it at the end of the night and I cleaned my entire shift. I expected to do some cleaning considering we were working with food but I felt like a janitor by the end of the day. I cleaned for 8 hours straight. I enjoyed my co-workers for the most part but working alongside the owner a few days a week I saw how unfair of a boss they were. I have never had a job that made me feel so unaccomplished and unaccepted and I was very unhappy working there.
A fast paced fun place to work
Manager, Customer Service (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJanuary 15, 2016
Customer service is one key to a successful retail business. The front line workers are the key to portray that message. Our daily task included treating our customers with respect, and listening to their comments. It is a team effort that comes from the Corporate Office and trickles down to each franchisee and their employees.
The job was interesting and you can learn something new every day, just by talking to people. The hardest part of the job is learning all the products and codes. The most enjoyable was the atmosphere of the store and continuously merchandising.
It was a great place to work, and a great company to work for.
Fun place to work with great people
SUPERVISOR/CASHIER (Current Employee), Cranbrook, BCFebruary 3, 2016
Pros: My coworkers, and the experience I've gained
Cons: no room for growth, no benefits, no discount
I love the people I work with on a daily basis, the place has become like a small family. The customers are usually pretty great, with many returning time and time again. The manager is fantastic, she's caring and tries her best to keep everyone happy.
Work was straight forward - Management was terrible.
Labourer/Cleaner (Former Employee), Camrose, ABNovember 22, 2015
Pros: Store Discount, Free stuff here and there.
Cons: Management and Employee Attitudes
Work tasks were straight forward and not difficult to complete, only time consuming. Communication was an issue however, manager had quit and no replacement was given to the store. Every 2 weeks or so someone from head office came into the store and checked on what we were doing and what to order for the next inventory shipment. We were on our own in the time without them. I quit due to this along with other smaller factors.

Daily work tasks:
- Clean backroom
- Clean washrooms
- Manage and move inventory
- Clean shop floor
- Move product from backroom to shop
- Closing shop
Overview of Duties
Cashier (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 21, 2016
Pros: Discounts within store and plaza
Cons: Supervisors are unfair
-Usually 3-5 hours on cash
-Otherwise cleaning bins,totes,tubs etc.
-Facing products
-Memorization of Codes
-Filling spices and teas
-Providing customer service and advice on product
-Mopping floors
-Cleaning bathrooms
-Pricing items
Unreasonable hours and rates
Supervisor/Stocker (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 2, 2015
Pros: Discount
Cons: Very Long Hours
I had originally applied to this job as a shelf stocker and was bumped up to Supervisor almost immediately. Unfortunately, the responsibilities and priorities, mixed with the pay, where not what i was expecting and would not get better, so i left to seek other opportunities.
helpin customers
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), North Bay, ONFebruary 19, 2016
I would recommend anyone working here amazing small business with not a lot of co workers so the hours there great. for the little time I worked here I enjoyed when I was at work and was always busy so the time went by fast
productive and busy
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONApril 12, 2016
Lots of memorization needed, and working fast to clean store. Management was organized. Hardest part of the job was the fast environment, with customers and remembering all the codes before they got annoyed.
Stocking
stock associate, my responsibilities (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCOctober 20, 2015
Typical work day: stock shelves and bins, assist customers.
Management: was okay, but would recommend more training for the assistant manager.
Co-workers: got along with everyone that i worked with.
Hardest part of the job: was probably the busy peak times when your stocking the shelves and you get called up to cash.
most enjoyable part: working while its slow.
Great Co-worker Environment
Supervisor (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 17, 2015
I was challenged to re-learn how to covert grams to kilograms to pounds. The job continuously made me use my brain power which was great, was not a boring cashier position. The job had its awesome perks like the Wilton instructor who taught and was one of the best, left her example desserts with the staff, was always icing on a cake:) It was a customer service oriented job serving people and adhering to the regiment and routine to keeping bins clean and free of debris, especially during the holiday season one person was in charge of staying on the floor helping customers find the items they needed and answer questions and of course keeping stations spotless. This was always commented on how the store was so clean. Hardest part of the job getting use to memorizing codes and telling the different between certain flours. The most enjoyable part of the job was to get to know the co workers and talk with customers.
Fun and friendly work environment
Cashier/Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONNovember 17, 2015
Co-workers become like family and you have your regular customers who always put a smile on your face. There's a lot of cleaning to do on a daily basis and you always have to make sure the store is maintained to head offices' standards.
Bulk Barn Review
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Lindsay, ONSeptember 8, 2015
The job itself was a good job and a great first job, typically I was cleaning bins each night and also on cash, I have learned the majority of the codes for each product and all sales and promotions. The owners and manager were both very kind and were always there to give me time off or extra shifts if needed. My co-workers are also friendly and we can all get along and work as a team. The hardest part is matching products to a name when they look alike, and not knowing exactly what spice or flour the product could be. Lastly the most enjoyable part would be the regular customers who come in and chat or most customers in general, all are very kind and understanding.
Productive and very fun work place
Supervisor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 13, 2016
Pros: Weekends off
Cons: Long hours
Working at Bulk Barn is an experience, the people there are friendly. Customers always great you with a smile, and always leaves pleased.

Excellent place to work!!!
Fun Workplace
Cashier, inventory (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 20, 2016
Pros: Nice Coworkers
Cons: Long hours
Coworkers were fun to work with, learned how to stock, use the cash register, learned more about customer service. Co-workers were fun to work with
Good and welcoming workplace
Cashier and Store Clerk (Former Employee), Richmond Hill, ONFebruary 24, 2016
Wonderful employees working together to provide amazing customer service. A thoroughly pleasant environment led by a flexible and helpful manager.