Bulk Barn Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun place to work with great people
SUPERVISOR/CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Cranbrook, BCFebruary 3, 2016
I love the people I work with on a daily basis, the place has become like a small family. The customers are usually pretty great, with many returning time and time again. The manager is fantastic, she's caring and tries her best to keep everyone happy.
Pros
My coworkers, and the experience I've gained
Cons
no room for growth, no benefits, no discount
Difficult place to work at
Cashier/Caissière (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 20, 2015
A typical day at work is maintaining the cash register. At Bulk Barn there are over 4,000 products and you have to memorize codes associated with those products. When a customer arrives at the cash register, you must know the code to the products the client wants to buy. Shelf facing, cleaning bins, under sweeping, pricing and merchandising may all be part of the job on a given day.

Bulk Barn is one of the worst jobs out there. There is a lot of drama that goes on behind the scenes. It is unpleasant to the point where you dread going into work everyday. The higher management are very disorganized. There is hardly any communication save for gossip. Any professional matter is to be swept under the rug and not confronted unless you push it to be seen.

The lessons learned at Bulk Barn is to always watch your back, to speak up and defend yourself when authority is in the wrong. On a side note, there are loads of codes to learn so one does become better at working with numbers.

The hardest and worst part of the job is cleaning. The under sweep of the food bins of the entire store kills your back. Also, the plastic the bins are made up of are sharp. Therefore, when you clean them your hands are subject to many little nicks and cuts. This cleaning processes is done daily.

The most enjoyable part of the jobs is my fellow cashiers and supervisor. They are the only reason why going to work is worth it. They are fun to work with and have become good friends.
Pros
No pros
Cons
No benefits or discounts; long hours; unorganized, poor management; lack of communication; lack of respecting hours; irregular hours
Fast Paced
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMarch 23, 2016
A typical day includes lots of cleaning and making sure customers are well taken care of. A normal shift will include returning products to their correct bins/shelves, wiping down ever bin lid, washing scoops, and cleaning the floor, counters and cash registers.

I've learned to perfect my multitasking skills along with problem solving. I have also learned incredible product knowledge and placement.

Management and co-workers are key in a successful shift and I couldn't ask for better ones!
Worst experience in management
Speciality Grocery Store Manager (Former Employee) –  British ColumbiaSeptember 25, 2015
Total bust, does not treat staff correctly at any level. Does not respect the staff in benefits or salary. Would not recommend working for this company in any position.
Would Recommend
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMarch 22, 2016
Typical day: vacuum all bins, clean all bins, help customers throughout shift, help on 2nd cash throughout shift, set up sale items at end of night

Learned: cleanliness

Management: some good, some not so good; owner's are terrifying

Co-workers: friendly, good people

Hardest part: making sure everything is spotless so that we don't get in trouble

Best part: the people I worked with
Pros
Working with great people
Cons
Getting hit on by creepy old men; strict rules
It was a great place to work for a while.
Cashier and Stock (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 8, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed the majority of my time at Bulk Barn. Up until new management arrived the typical day would be, you clock in, greet your fellow employees, and either stock product or cash out customers. I refined my customer interaction and up selling skills in my time here. I excelled at being a cashier fairly quick. My coworkers were great. You could comfortably work with any of them without feeling like your being judged. There were two coworkers who came into the workplace around the new year who would constantly berate a majority of the employees in front of other employees while the employee of topic wasn't there. I would have to say keeping an upbeat attitude while working with either of those two was the hardest part of the job. Truth be told that was still fairly simple. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the great people I was working with and interacting with the variety of customers who came from all walks of life. Some of the stories I've heard from the more regular customers were really quite inspiring.
Pros
Flexible workplace
Cons
Slightly abusive employer
Clean but crazy place to work
Sales Associate/Key Holder/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Maple, ONMay 3, 2016
A lot of cleaning which was necessary as the store got dirty quick when you sell food products. Your co-workers are what will save you from going crazy. Customer inquiries were the hardest part of the job as they assume you know everything about their culture and their food that they cook. A lot of the time it is guess work as you are trying to figure out what product they are looking for such as "sume sume" is actually sesame seeds (in case you were wondering).
Pros
Good co-workers understand your pain
Cons
On your feet all shift, need to be able to lift heavy bags
Store Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 21, 2016
just as the title says. I enjoyed my time working for Bulk Barn, the Manager was awesome both as a boss and as a coworker who would go out of his way to make sure you're okay inside work and out. Same goes for the owner of the store as well, a couple of months after I left he called me personally to see how I was doing and even sent me a gift for my newborn child after finding out. The coworkers were more like friends and family and everyone goes out of their way to help each other every day. There are few jobs that I would go back to and this is one of them
Pros
everything
Cons
occasional bad customers
Worst place to work!
Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montreal-nord, QCJune 10, 2016
This is the worst company I have ever worked for. There are no chances of salary augmentation, No employee room to sit and eat, No microwave, No fridge, No insurance, No employee discounts, they offer absolutely nothing. Employees are treated really bad and are not allowed to complain. But recently a friend of mine who still works at one of their stores told me that some of the bulk barn store are now unionized. Good gob for whoever accomplished that because this company needed it!.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Hours are unstable. Hours keep getting cut
I enjoy my job and the people I work with
Supervisor/cashier/stock person (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ONMarch 2, 2016
Typical day at bulk bulk includes greeting and assisting customers, cashing out the customers,making sure they are satisfied with their visit, cleaning duties to be done daily,stocking shelves and ensuring all daily duties are complete by the end of the work day, balancing of registers and store is secured. The best part of my position is interacting with customers,hardest part is keeping busy as it is a slower type of retail.To ensure I am busy during the entire shift,I tend to constantly clean.The manager is very kind and willing to work around another schedule if I was to find another job.
I wouldn't work there ever again.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJanuary 19, 2016
I was a supervisor at one of the Bulk Barn locations and I was given my job description when I had my interview but when I started my first shift I was a little surprised at how different the experience was. I barely touched the cash except to count it at the end of the night and I cleaned my entire shift. I expected to do some cleaning considering we were working with food but I felt like a janitor by the end of the day. I cleaned for 8 hours straight. I enjoyed my co-workers for the most part but working alongside the owner a few days a week I saw how unfair of a boss they were. I have never had a job that made me feel so unaccomplished and unaccepted and I was very unhappy working there.
Work was straight forward - Management was terrible.
Labourer/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Camrose, ABNovember 22, 2015
Work tasks were straight forward and not difficult to complete, only time consuming. Communication was an issue however, manager had quit and no replacement was given to the store. Every 2 weeks or so someone from head office came into the store and checked on what we were doing and what to order for the next inventory shipment. We were on our own in the time without them. I quit due to this along with other smaller factors.

Daily work tasks:
- Clean backroom
- Clean washrooms
- Manage and move inventory
- Clean shop floor
- Move product from backroom to shop
- Closing shop
Pros
Store Discount, Free stuff here and there.
Cons
Management and Employee Attitudes
Easy going and relaxed workplace with cleaning and customer service as a priority
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ONMay 7, 2016
A typical day includes time on cash, doing face-to-face transactions with a variety of customers, maintaining the cleanliness of all product in the store, maintaining the floor displays of product. We are also assigned different tasks before closing to make sure the store is in pristine condition for the following morning.If working early in the morning, product is rotated so all of the older product is sold first to keep most food fresh still.

I've learned through working as a supervisor here to not bring personal matters into the workplace as it can be reflected in the given work ethic whether it's been noted in my own or in others.

Hardest part of the job is finding more to do if you get ahead of schedule, however it is always easy to find something to do.

Cleaning is high priority as you deal with food on a daily basis. There is a high standard for cleanliness.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction one gets to have with the large variety of clientele. Along with that is the incredibly friendly staff on hand at all times making all new employees feel welcome.
Pros
Flexible hours and scheduling
Cons
Some lack focus on their work
Hard work with minimal praise or rewards.
Jr. District Manager (Current Employee) –  VariousApril 14, 2016
A lot of appreciate the company that gave me the opportunity to advance my life, but positive feedback was always minimal. You were expected to work 10-12 hours a day, the ability to have a social life is tough. No rewards or motivation to do well, you need to be self motivated and be able to grind through challenging, even impossible circumstances. Must be mentally strong. Love my co-workers
Pros
Travel
Cons
Frequent 12 plus hour days
A fast paced fun place to work
Manager, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJanuary 15, 2016
Customer service is one key to a successful retail business. The front line workers are the key to portray that message. Our daily task included treating our customers with respect, and listening to their comments. It is a team effort that comes from the Corporate Office and trickles down to each franchisee and their employees.
The job was interesting and you can learn something new every day, just by talking to people. The hardest part of the job is learning all the products and codes. The most enjoyable was the atmosphere of the store and continuously merchandising.
It was a great place to work, and a great company to work for.
Would not work here again.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMay 18, 2016
I've worked at two Bulk Barns, each for about a year and both were very negative experiences. Though I made excellent friends with the staff, we were all unappreciated. Our manager made questionable decisions pertaining to food safety and was blatantly rude to any staff who weren't supervisors. Poor pay with very few opportunities to move-up in the company.
Pros
Positive staff
Cons
Poor management, long-hours, tedious work
Unreasonable hours and rates
Supervisor/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 2, 2015
I had originally applied to this job as a shelf stocker and was bumped up to Supervisor almost immediately. Unfortunately, the responsibilities and priorities, mixed with the pay, where not what i was expecting and would not get better, so i left to seek other opportunities.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Very Long Hours
Productive and very fun work place
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 13, 2016
Working at Bulk Barn is an experience, the people there are friendly. Customers always great you with a smile, and always leaves pleased.

Excellent place to work!!!
Pros
Weekends off
love working there
Store Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 23, 2016
they have the best managers. the day goes by fast, it is a good job because we gets a discount on products and i like to lift and moves stuff that is heavy since im a workout monkey.
hardest part of job is doing cashier since theres are hundreds of codes to know, easiest part is everything else
bulk barn
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABMay 3, 2016
I find that the Management was very poor, but it was very clean due to everyone cleaning whenever possible.

we had to clean scoop every few hours. swept under all the bins, washed the floors every night before we left the store.

Co-workers were amazing beside when if came to the mangers because the never did anything.