Bulk Barn Employee Reviews

Fast-paced and customer oriented environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2017
A typical work day included work on the cash registers, cleaning the store (barrels, shelves, cash registers, etc), filling stock products on delivery days and from overstock products kept in the backroom, organizing the backroom, putting products on display in visually appealing ways, facing products, and nightly cleaning (washing scoops, sweeping, mopping).
easy fun place to work
Shelf Stocker and product placer (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB13 January 2017
I enjoyed working at bulk barn. Very respectable staff to work with. Very fun times here and always got some good advice from the funny and polite customers. I loved this job a lot
Pros
easy job
Cons
hard job
Great place for a first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON9 January 2017
It was great working here, working on the responsibility of cleaning. Making sure everything is sanitary, working on learning the duties of a cashier. Knowing how to use my communication skills to help customers, how to deal with stressful situations or busy days and how to work as a team.
Fun work atmosphere
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2017
Rotating stock, Helping customer, cashing out customers.
learning about products, learning about better health choices.
Pros
fun, lots to do, get to see new and interesting products
Cons
minimum wage
Happy, productive environemt great company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC9 January 2017
Had a wonderful time working for this company, always had great coworkers, flexible schedule and interesting customers. Team building was very important, no one was ever left to do a job they felt they could not handle and the owner took great care of the employees
Low amounts of stress
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB8 January 2017
This was my first real job and this is where I first learnt about customer service. As I've always been a friendly person so learning about customer service was relatively easy.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
I learnt so much in my jobs that I intend to carry on going forward to a future job
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC7 January 2017
My daily job was was very busy. I had many things that I was required to do, but also things that I took upon myself to complete. When I first started with Bulk Barn there was so many things I didn't know about Gluten Free and Non GMO products and just some food products in general and now I'm very familiar with them and have personally used myself. The staff that I worked with are fantastic past and present. My previous manager (she moved to different employment) couldn't have been a better a manager. The most enjoyable part of my job has to be the new people that I meet each and everyday. The hardest part of my job is learning and maintaining all the new codes that are only seasonal.
Friendly safe work place
Customer Service & Inventory Control (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2017
I enjoyed working at this establishment, my coworkers were friendly and the work enviorment was safe and positive. The hours scheduled worked very well with the other activities i had taking place in my life at the time.
Good
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB1 January 2017
daily tasks include cleaning and stocking and using the register. the job is very straight forward and good for students who need somewhat flexible hours
Do not waist your time.
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Bradford, ont29 December 2016
Every young staff and management, with little or no experience. Most of your day cleaning and stocking. Serve customers when needed.
Pros
Customers were every nice
Cons
Long hours cleaning, while staff hide in office
fun and interesting place to work
Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  North Battleford, SK22 December 2016
learned about a lot of new product did cleaning stocking cashing out opening of store did some ordering of product helped manager when needed ran tills over seen staff
Good atmosphere, good place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB21 December 2016
Always lots to be done, especially cleaning and stocking. Customer service is important but the stores are not shopped heavily except during holidays, so minimal customer service. Lots of variety in products and therefore there is a big learning curve.
Pros
Variety of work
Cons
Heavy lifting
Friendly "small town" environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON13 December 2016
The store itself is kept to very strict cleaning standards that are required from all employees. Many customers come in with very positive comments about the cleanliness of the store.

The franchisees of the store are extremely welcoming and kind people, willing to accommodate requests from customers and staff members.

The job involves learning to differentiate between vast varieties of bulk food products from sight, also to be able to memorize the product codes for faster service to the customers.

Due to the very low turnover rate there is very little room for advancement. There are no benefits offered to staff. There are no full time positions offered.
Pros
Flexible hours, Improves food knowledge
Cons
No medical benefits, Part time only
worked here through my time at college
Stock person (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE12 December 2016
This is a par time job I held through my time at Holland College. I worked with great people, though I wouldn't have have made enough to live if it hadn't been for my student loan.
Bulk Barn
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON12 December 2016
Working for Bulk Barn was an okay experience. I suggest it as a first time job as there is no hours to be given. Everyday consisted of cleaning every counter, and every product lid and scoop. Cleanliness is very important in these stores.
Pros
Some of the staff members I worked with were amazingly friendly, patient and helpful.
Cons
Lack of hours, no room to move up in the company, and the owners are generally intimidating.
Fun, exciting, great place to work!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 December 2016
Amazing people to work with, everyone is very nice! It does get a little hard, but becoming friends with everyone that works there makes the day go by much faster.
Pros
free food, friendly people
Cons
Managment is sometimes confusing
Some good, some bad
Corporate Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Canada25 November 2016
There are some great people that work for the Bulk Barn corporate office. Alternatively Bulk Barn tends to employ a number of "friends" into jobs where they are really not qualified for or just feel so entitled they don't do their jobs.
Entry level jobs
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  British Columbia24 November 2016
The company is an entry level job company there is very minimal perks to working for Bulk Barn. As a corporate employee you feel less important and more of an inconvenience. Wage increases do not happen, The people in individual stores make a difference but as a corporation it is less then enjoyable.
Pros
I get a paycheck
Cons
I get a small paycheck
Coworkers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON11 November 2016
Get along with them nicely, though not much advancement and always doing the same thing with no new learning

Enjoy talking with customers and learn new things from them with the products they buy
Productive and enjoyable work environment
Stock Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 October 2016
Working with bulk barn I have acquired more skills in leadership and delegation of tasks. I work hand and hand with the franchisee and merchandise the store on a regular basis. I make executive decisions with the store product, such as sell off of inventory, creating sale items, and adding and removing products from the sales floor. The most enjoyable part of the workplace is the leadership of people looking up to me, and being able to create a productive and enjoyable workplace for others, while monitoring efficiency and customer care.

2.8