Bulk Barn Employee Reviews

Fun place to work with great people
SUPERVISOR/CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Cranbrook, BCFebruary 3, 2016
I love the people I work with on a daily basis, the place has become like a small family. The customers are usually pretty great, with many returning time and time again. The manager is fantastic, she's caring and tries her best to keep everyone happy.
Pros
My coworkers, and the experience I've gained
Cons
no room for growth, no benefits, no discount
I wouldn't work there ever again.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJanuary 19, 2016
I was a supervisor at one of the Bulk Barn locations and I was given my job description when I had my interview but when I started my first shift I was a little surprised at how different the experience was. I barely touched the cash except to count it at the end of the night and I cleaned my entire shift. I expected to do some cleaning considering we were working with food but I felt like a janitor by the end of the day. I cleaned for 8 hours straight. I enjoyed my co-workers for the most part but working alongside the owner a few days a week I saw how unfair of a boss they were. I have never had a job that made me feel so unaccomplished and unaccepted and I was very unhappy working there.
A fast paced fun place to work
Manager, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJanuary 15, 2016
Customer service is one key to a successful retail business. The front line workers are the key to portray that message. Our daily task included treating our customers with respect, and listening to their comments. It is a team effort that comes from the Corporate Office and trickles down to each franchisee and their employees.
The job was interesting and you can learn something new every day, just by talking to people. The hardest part of the job is learning all the products and codes. The most enjoyable was the atmosphere of the store and continuously merchandising.
It was a great place to work, and a great company to work for.
Productive and very fun work place
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 13, 2016
Working at Bulk Barn is an experience, the people there are friendly. Customers always great you with a smile, and always leaves pleased.

Excellent place to work!!!
Pros
Weekends off
Fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABDecember 7, 2015
A really healthy place, nice staff, easy job, fast paced, friendly. Met lots of people. Learned about different vitamins.
Unreasonable hours and rates
Supervisor/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 2, 2015
I had originally applied to this job as a shelf stocker and was bumped up to Supervisor almost immediately. Unfortunately, the responsibilities and priorities, mixed with the pay, where not what i was expecting and would not get better, so i left to seek other opportunities.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Very Long Hours
Productive and busy
Cashier/stocker (Former Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BCNovember 30, 2015
there was always something that needed to be down whether it was stocking product or cleaning. good place to work really nice boss.
useless boss great employees
Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONNovember 20, 2015
i enjoyed a majority of my fellow employees however the owner was rarely in attendance and not good at listening to employee concerns.
Great Co-worker Environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 17, 2015
I was challenged to re-learn how to covert grams to kilograms to pounds. The job continuously made me use my brain power which was great, was not a boring cashier position. The job had its awesome perks like the Wilton instructor who taught and was one of the best, left her example desserts with the staff, was always icing on a cake:) It was a customer service oriented job serving people and adhering to the regiment and routine to keeping bins clean and free of debris, especially during the holiday season one person was in charge of staying on the floor helping customers find the items they needed and answer questions and of course keeping stations spotless. This was always commented on how the store was so clean. Hardest part of the job getting use to memorizing codes and telling the different between certain flours. The most enjoyable part of the job was to get to know the co workers and talk with customers.
Fun and friendly work environment
Cashier/Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONNovember 17, 2015
Co-workers become like family and you have your regular customers who always put a smile on your face. There's a lot of cleaning to do on a daily basis and you always have to make sure the store is maintained to head offices' standards.
Bulk Barn
Cashier/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Kemptville, ONNovember 17, 2015
the best part of working here was getting to meet all the customers, helping them with finding the proper ingredients for their baking etc., and picking up recipes from people
Difficult place to work at
Cashier/Caissière (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 20, 2015
A typical day at work is maintaining the cash register. At Bulk Barn there are over 4,000 products and you have to memorize codes associated with those products. When a customer arrives at the cash register, you must know the code to the products the client wants to buy. Shelf facing, cleaning bins, under sweeping, pricing and merchandising may all be part of the job on a given day.

Bulk Barn is one of the worst jobs out there. There is a lot of drama that goes on behind the scenes. It is unpleasant to the point where you dread going into work everyday. The higher management are very disorganized. There is hardly any communication save for gossip. Any professional matter is to be swept under the rug and not confronted unless you push it to be seen.

The lessons learned at Bulk Barn is to always watch your back, to speak up and defend yourself when authority is in the wrong. On a side note, there are loads of codes to learn so one does become better at working with numbers.

The hardest and worst part of the job is cleaning. The under sweep of the food bins of the entire store kills your back. Also, the plastic the bins are made up of are sharp. Therefore, when you clean them your hands are subject to many little nicks and cuts. This cleaning processes is done daily.

The most enjoyable part of the jobs is my fellow cashiers and supervisor. They are the only reason why going to work is worth it. They are fun to work with and have become good friends.
Pros
No pros
Cons
No benefits or discounts; long hours; unorganized, poor management; lack of communication; lack of respecting hours; irregular hours
Stocking
stock associate, my responsibilities (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCOctober 20, 2015
Typical work day: stock shelves and bins, assist customers.
Management: was okay, but would recommend more training for the assistant manager.
Co-workers: got along with everyone that i worked with.
Hardest part of the job: was probably the busy peak times when your stocking the shelves and you get called up to cash.
most enjoyable part: working while its slow.
Store Stock Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton,ABOctober 7, 2015
I did not enjoy working at this place. It wasn't the best if you can't get along with a supervisor. They really need an electronic punch in.
Run by teenagers
Cashier and stock person (Former Employee) –  CalgarySeptember 29, 2015
Immature staff resulting in work not being done, inappropriate behavior from co-workers, management included store owner and kids under 18.
Pros
Good snack food for breaks
Cons
Feels like babysitting
Ideal for Students
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 1, 2015
Helped put me through high school and part of university.
Scholarships available.
Fast paced and friendly environment.
Good Canadian company.
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
Potential to gain weight or smell like food after work
Productive.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 30, 2015
Check the readiness of the store, top up anything required. Maintain the floor while on till as well as the quality of customer service. Most enjoyable part, helping all the customer, and some pretty good times with co-workers.
Bulk Barn is a very busy place with great environment!
Cashier and Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Summerside, PEJuly 17, 2015
For a typical day it is always busy with lots to do. Depending on when your shift is, depends on what you are doing. Working between 9-am and 5-pm a person normally cleans the shelves and check expiry date on the products. From 5-pm to 9-pm a person normally cleans the bins, wet pails a.k.a -the peanut butters, icing, molasses
(the worst to clean), pie filling,jams etc, then there is under sweeping a.k.a sweeping underneath the bins, and at the end mop floor except for Saturdays and Sundays. Some people are trained to do the till or cash. It can be the hardest part because of all the codes. You do have a role and some paper with all the code written down for you. Yet for me do the cash is the best part of the job.
Bulk Barn pretty well managed and my co-worker are great people and really easy to work with.
It was fun!!!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, OntJuly 7, 2015
I currently worked for Bulk Barn for three years and it was a fun place to work for. Got to work with a lot of products and learning the products as you go. The cons was getting to memorize the numbers for more 1,000 products. Employees asking what's the number for this? as weighting. As working with employees working as a team is awesome at Bulk Barn. The management was okay if you didn't call in sick a lot. But if you are young it's a great place to work at!! and it's a great first job. It's fast pace and have to have a lot of knowledge. Good Luck!!
Pros
Nice Employees, fun!!
Cons
Not a lot of hours
Loved it
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 29, 2015
My time there was great. However, I'll be completely honest and say I really only loved it because of my co workers. They were a great bunch. The job itself its the most fun and easiest, but its not like torture. It isnt as demandig as working at like a McDonalds. We did stock, handle cash transactions. The hardest pasrts were dealing with customers and their snacking/using theirhands, and of course, memorizing all the codes. But the scroll at the front cash helped a bunch. Each store is different, so I suppose you'll have to judge on your own.