Bulk Barn Employee Reviews in Canada

Worst place to work!
Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montreal-nord, QCJune 10, 2016
This is the worst company I have ever worked for. There are no chances of salary augmentation, No employee room to sit and eat, No microwave, No fridge, No insurance, No employee discounts, they offer absolutely nothing. Employees are treated really bad and are not allowed to complain. But recently a friend of mine who still works at one of their stores told me that some of the bulk barn store are now unionized. Good gob for whoever accomplished that because this company needed it!.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Hours are unstable. Hours keep getting cut
Fast pace, friendly environment with helpful coworkers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 14, 2016
Working at Bulk Barn I learned how to work quickly and efficient under pressure independently as well as as a team to get the needs of the customers met and satisfied. I learned how to problem solve on my own such as finding the codes and products I was not familiar with for the customers.
Pros
great environment, friendly coworkers, learning experiences
Cons
non flexible hours
Would not work here again.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMay 18, 2016
I've worked at two Bulk Barns, each for about a year and both were very negative experiences. Though I made excellent friends with the staff, we were all unappreciated. Our manager made questionable decisions pertaining to food safety and was blatantly rude to any staff who weren't supervisors. Poor pay with very few opportunities to move-up in the company.
Pros
Positive staff
Cons
Poor management, long-hours, tedious work
Clean but crazy place to work
Sales Associate/Key Holder/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Maple, ONMay 3, 2016
A lot of cleaning which was necessary as the store got dirty quick when you sell food products. Your co-workers are what will save you from going crazy. Customer inquiries were the hardest part of the job as they assume you know everything about their culture and their food that they cook. A lot of the time it is guess work as you are trying to figure out what product they are looking for such as "sume sume" is actually sesame seeds (in case you were wondering).
Pros
Good co-workers understand your pain
Cons
On your feet all shift, need to be able to lift heavy bags
Store Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 21, 2016
just as the title says. I enjoyed my time working for Bulk Barn, the Manager was awesome both as a boss and as a coworker who would go out of his way to make sure you're okay inside work and out. Same goes for the owner of the store as well, a couple of months after I left he called me personally to see how I was doing and even sent me a gift for my newborn child after finding out. The coworkers were more like friends and family and everyone goes out of their way to help each other every day. There are few jobs that I would go back to and this is one of them
Pros
everything
Cons
occasional bad customers
Hard work with minimal praise or rewards.
Jr. District Manager (Current Employee) –  VariousApril 14, 2016
A lot of appreciate the company that gave me the opportunity to advance my life, but positive feedback was always minimal. You were expected to work 10-12 hours a day, the ability to have a social life is tough. No rewards or motivation to do well, you need to be self motivated and be able to grind through challenging, even impossible circumstances. Must be mentally strong. Love my co-workers
Pros
Travel
Cons
Frequent 12 plus hour days
Was able to work with old friends while making new great friends.Good training.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ONJuly 19, 2016
Performed a variety of different tasks.
Everything was always changing, so forced us to adapt quickly and often.
Was within walking distance.
Hard to bus to though.
Great co-workers.
Pros
Great training, made great lifelong friends.
Cons
Management was not great. And Favouritism.
Fast Paced
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMarch 23, 2016
A typical day includes lots of cleaning and making sure customers are well taken care of. A normal shift will include returning products to their correct bins/shelves, wiping down ever bin lid, washing scoops, and cleaning the floor, counters and cash registers.

I've learned to perfect my multitasking skills along with problem solving. I have also learned incredible product knowledge and placement.

Management and co-workers are key in a successful shift and I couldn't ask for better ones!
Would Recommend
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMarch 22, 2016
Typical day: vacuum all bins, clean all bins, help customers throughout shift, help on 2nd cash throughout shift, set up sale items at end of night

Learned: cleanliness

Management: some good, some not so good; owner's are terrifying

Co-workers: friendly, good people

Hardest part: making sure everything is spotless so that we don't get in trouble

Best part: the people I worked with
Pros
Working with great people
Cons
Getting hit on by creepy old men; strict rules
Dealing with the puplic
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2016
I was a cashier. learned a lot about bulk foods. The new manager was hard to deal with. Loved working with my co-workers. Filling the bins and spices was hard. Had to be careful with the spices if you got it in your eyes with some of them it burned. The most enjoyable part was working with the puplic.
Pros
Working with bulk foods
Cons
The hours
Great coworkers, awful management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 28, 2016
There's a lack of communication between management and employees. Management is immature, back area was a safety hazard. Food regulations were barely followed to code. But overall coworkers were great and it was a fairly easy job.
Pros
Easy job, great coworkers
Cons
Poor management, no communication
I enjoy my job and the people I work with
Supervisor/cashier/stock person (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ONMarch 2, 2016
Typical day at bulk bulk includes greeting and assisting customers, cashing out the customers,making sure they are satisfied with their visit, cleaning duties to be done daily,stocking shelves and ensuring all daily duties are complete by the end of the work day, balancing of registers and store is secured. The best part of my position is interacting with customers,hardest part is keeping busy as it is a slower type of retail.To ensure I am busy during the entire shift,I tend to constantly clean.The manager is very kind and willing to work around another schedule if I was to find another job.
love working there
Store Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 23, 2016
they have the best managers. the day goes by fast, it is a good job because we gets a discount on products and i like to lift and moves stuff that is heavy since im a workout monkey.
hardest part of job is doing cashier since theres are hundreds of codes to know, easiest part is everything else
bulk barn
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABMay 3, 2016
I find that the Management was very poor, but it was very clean due to everyone cleaning whenever possible.

we had to clean scoop every few hours. swept under all the bins, washed the floors every night before we left the store.

Co-workers were amazing beside when if came to the mangers because the never did anything.
Fun workplace, could improve
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  British ColumbiaJuly 13, 2016
Can be a very fun place to work, but there is little recognition for a job well done. Paid same rate as lazy employees. Management is corrupt.
Pros
Friendly environment, good product
Cons
No discounts, terrible management, low pay, irregular hours
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 12, 2016
I think that the most enjoyable part about working at Bulk Barn is getting to use my expertise in Gluten-free living to help customers. I was able to connect with customers and help them with their allergies.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
Distance from home
I wouldn't work there ever again.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJanuary 19, 2016
I was a supervisor at one of the Bulk Barn locations and I was given my job description when I had my interview but when I started my first shift I was a little surprised at how different the experience was. I barely touched the cash except to count it at the end of the night and I cleaned my entire shift. I expected to do some cleaning considering we were working with food but I felt like a janitor by the end of the day. I cleaned for 8 hours straight. I enjoyed my co-workers for the most part but working alongside the owner a few days a week I saw how unfair of a boss they were. I have never had a job that made me feel so unaccomplished and unaccepted and I was very unhappy working there.
A fast paced fun place to work
Manager, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJanuary 15, 2016
Customer service is one key to a successful retail business. The front line workers are the key to portray that message. Our daily task included treating our customers with respect, and listening to their comments. It is a team effort that comes from the Corporate Office and trickles down to each franchisee and their employees.
The job was interesting and you can learn something new every day, just by talking to people. The hardest part of the job is learning all the products and codes. The most enjoyable was the atmosphere of the store and continuously merchandising.
It was a great place to work, and a great company to work for.
Fun place to work with great people
SUPERVISOR/CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Cranbrook, BCFebruary 3, 2016
I love the people I work with on a daily basis, the place has become like a small family. The customers are usually pretty great, with many returning time and time again. The manager is fantastic, she's caring and tries her best to keep everyone happy.
Pros
My coworkers, and the experience I've gained
Cons
no room for growth, no benefits, no discount
good normal min wage job
Cashier/Stock Person (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 14, 2016
-basic customer service job
-learned about different products with experience
-hardest part is cash, just because of all of the different product codes
-most enjoyable part for me is stocking
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
slow shifts

2.8