Bulk Barn Employee Reviews

fun and friendly work environment
Stock Person (Current Employee) –  Fort Erie, ONSeptember 12, 2016
hen I get to work I get a run down on how the day was and then I get my list of things I have to do that night. I fill the tubs and barrels and then I clean and then I do more stock work if there is time
Comfortable work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 2, 2016
Everyone there is very friendly. I always had a great time working there with such fun people. Everyone there is close almost like family. There is always something to do there with constant cleaning and tiding up between customers.
Pros
reasonable salary, good management
Cons
not enough hours
Busy, yet simple work.
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 30, 2016
A lot of carrying around large bags of bulk food and putting them into the correct bins. Demands some level of organizational skill and ability to repeat the same task over and over. Everyone was neatly managed and knew what they should do for the day, while offering assistance to anyone else if required. The hardest part of the job was keeping track of all the differently labelled boxes and bags in the back storage.
Bulk Barn
Supervisor/ Stock (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 26, 2016
While Bulk Barn has Corporate and franchise locations I am currently with a corporate location that had just opened this January (2016).
I have learned a lot of this company and what it takes to run this type of store. It requires quite a bit of patience and integrity; with that i have grown more than I thought possible.
My co-workers are like family there is always different types of personalities which one must accept even if not likable.
We currently have about eight people working here which at times is "trying" due to not enough people to cover shifts and overload of expectations from head office.
On the bright side Management does make attempts to have an easy going environment, until it becomes to laid back. I believe there should be staff meetings which there has not been one.
I enjoy the cleaning of shelves and organizing of new and old product. The customers are also an enjoyment as we have some great regulars. I also enjoy keeping busy and there is always something to do at Bulk Barn!
Pros
Great experience for my resume
Cons
Supervisor pay is twenty five cents more than minimum wage.
Worst place to work
Cashier/Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QCAugust 20, 2016
After 5 years of service, and multiple requests for raises I have received nothing. Corporate demands hard working service, but then refuses to pay its employees for that service. I've been stuck at minimum wage since day one of employment. I do not recommend getting a job here or supporting this store. Management is corrupt and should be changed.
Cons
Relaxed and understanding employees and great co-workers.
Stock/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONAugust 10, 2016
Part-time employees get most of the night shifts (4-9:30) and so you end up closing the store. This includes facing the isles, sweeping and moping the floors, doing returns, etc. When you are not closing the store you are either stocking or cashing out customers. The staff are great but sometimes you end getting a lot of food on your clothes. Would not recommend job to people with nut allergies since there are a lot of nuts in the store.
Pros
Great people and close-knit crew
Cons
No employee benefits
Very reliable business to grow with
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONAugust 7, 2016
This business is a great first job, many chances to grow and advance with the company. The staff has great training skills, and are very understanding. And they are very flexible with your schedule.
Pros
amazing staff
Cons
lots of cleaning
A great place to work
Employee (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ONJuly 24, 2016
Bulk Barn is a great company to work for depending on the time of year the store is super busy or not to busy at all. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people find all of their cooking needs and snacks
I like to work with great people and help peopleout the best i can.
Stock boy , clean mop floors (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 21, 2016
I like learning while at work and helping people. it's always enjoyable when you like the people you work with. I like helping customers
Was able to work with old friends while making new great friends.Good training.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ONJuly 19, 2016
Performed a variety of different tasks.
Everything was always changing, so forced us to adapt quickly and often.
Was within walking distance.
Hard to bus to though.
Great co-workers.
Pros
Great training, made great lifelong friends.
Cons
Management was not great. And Favouritism.
great place to work
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONJuly 19, 2016
hours are flexible and the staff are great to work with. management is on the ball and always looking for ways to improve the store and standards. great place!
Pros
good hours
Cons
morale
good workplace with a strong sense of teamwork
Assist cashiers (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 14, 2016
supervise cashiers and stock
help customers
balance cashes and complete end of shift/day paperwork
excuse product changes form head office
Pros
discounts to employees
Fast pace, friendly environment with helpful coworkers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 14, 2016
Working at Bulk Barn I learned how to work quickly and efficient under pressure independently as well as as a team to get the needs of the customers met and satisfied. I learned how to problem solve on my own such as finding the codes and products I was not familiar with for the customers.
Pros
great environment, friendly coworkers, learning experiences
Cons
non flexible hours
Fun workplace, could improve
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  British ColumbiaJuly 13, 2016
Can be a very fun place to work, but there is little recognition for a job well done. Paid same rate as lazy employees. Management is corrupt.
Pros
Friendly environment, good product
Cons
No discounts, terrible management, low pay, irregular hours
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 12, 2016
I think that the most enjoyable part about working at Bulk Barn is getting to use my expertise in Gluten-free living to help customers. I was able to connect with customers and help them with their allergies.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
Distance from home
Dealing with the puplic
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2016
I was a cashier. learned a lot about bulk foods. The new manager was hard to deal with. Loved working with my co-workers. Filling the bins and spices was hard. Had to be careful with the spices if you got it in your eyes with some of them it burned. The most enjoyable part was working with the puplic.
Pros
Working with bulk foods
Cons
The hours
terrible!
cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ONJune 28, 2016
Family comes first at the Aurora Bulk Barn!
Family gets prime shifts, takes food for free and rubs it in our faces, acts superior. Bad pay, no benefits.
Pros
Cons
bad owners/family
Great coworkers, awful management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 28, 2016
There's a lack of communication between management and employees. Management is immature, back area was a safety hazard. Food regulations were barely followed to code. But overall coworkers were great and it was a fairly easy job.
Pros
Easy job, great coworkers
Cons
Poor management, no communication
love working there
Store Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 23, 2016
they have the best managers. the day goes by fast, it is a good job because we gets a discount on products and i like to lift and moves stuff that is heavy since im a workout monkey.
hardest part of job is doing cashier since theres are hundreds of codes to know, easiest part is everything else
Worst place to work!
Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montreal-nord, QCJune 10, 2016
This is the worst company I have ever worked for. There are no chances of salary augmentation, No employee room to sit and eat, No microwave, No fridge, No insurance, No employee discounts, they offer absolutely nothing. Employees are treated really bad and are not allowed to complain. But recently a friend of mine who still works at one of their stores told me that some of the bulk barn store are now unionized. Good gob for whoever accomplished that because this company needed it!.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Hours are unstable. Hours keep getting cut

2.8