Build-A-Bear Workshop

Build-A-Bear Workshop Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
fun and exciting place to work..
Master Bear Builder (Former Employee), Savannah, GAFebruary 11, 2013
great plce for kids and adults, alot of imagination is required and patience and a strong love for kids.
Ast Workshop Manager
cash handle
party calls
Fun working place
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Schaumburg, ILFebruary 6, 2013
Its a very fast paced environment,great family atmosphere and theres never a dull moment. There is always something to do even if it does die down. The management and co-workers are very helpful,polite and care for you as if you were family, which I LOVE :).
fun workplace,
Sales Associate (Former Employee), White Plains, NYJanuary 15, 2013
Pros: being able to have fun, making kids smile
Cons: healthcare
- stuffed teddy bears, keeping store neat and tidy
- learned alot about different ppl and how you change someones days
- management was always on top of things
- co-workers were like family
- hardest part was hearing about the sick children
- most enjoyable was helping change a childs life one child at a time
It's.... okay, (I guess)
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: not really.... maybe meet some good people.
Cons: not enough hours, poor pay, short breaks.
How do I start? The management is POOR. Too many people and no hours AND they are hiring more people. The managers show favoritism with no shame at all which puts you in a place where you're basically "competing" to stay there. Unless you are one of their favorites, you will not get enough hours. Some co-workers are starting to notice that and they're – more... not very happy. This place is good if you have people that can take care of you. If not, you HAVE to have another job or you will starve.
I don't like that they are constantly pushing you to sell the sounds, scents, heartbeats, gift cards. They don't get that some people are not willing to pay the over priced stuff of the store.

Some customers are HANDFUL and snotty. Others are the nicest people you'll ever meet. I don't like that you have to say no to tips offered by customers. – less
Exciting workplace
Bear Builder (Current Employee), Montebello, CAJanuary 11, 2013
Pros: meeting and helping new people everyday
Cons: short breaks
I go into work and I always meet new people. I learned so much here about retail and how it works. It's a very interesting work place. I basically help children make new friends and in the end it's very rewarding. I gained more patience working here. The managers are very kind to each and every person. They are willing to help you if you don't understand – more... something right away. My co-workers are all amazing and I love working with them. The hardest part of my job is to see an unsatisfied costumer. I try my best to help everyone that needs assistance. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping children make new friends and meeting people everyday. – less
very fun
Customer Service (Former Employee), Richmond Heights, MOJanuary 8, 2013
this had a very fun atmosphere with very good co workers and people who really love their job,
Best Job I ever had
Bear Builder (Former Employee), West Des Moines, IADecember 16, 2012
This was my first official job. Great management. Friendly fun, energetic staff. Management willing to work around your schedule. Always wanting you to never stop learning and growing as a person. Very caring people and management.
Marketing Scheme
Bear Builder (Former Employee), Random Town, NYNovember 26, 2012
Pros: free lunch and bus tickets at christmas, friendly customers, get to make kids happy
Cons: expected to be pushy with customers, no life, bad hours, management indifference, poor compensation, no benifits, rude adults
Soulless job. One big marketing scheme to get people to spend money. Sales people expected to be very pushy. It's all about the up-sell. Sell the bear, sell the sound, sell the scent, sell the beating heart, sell at least 5 items of clothing per bear. Sell the gift card sell the backpack. But oh no - it doesn't end there. Build a bear continues the – more... experience with an on-line game which is designed only to get customers back into the store to spend even more money. Difficult to make all the up-sales. Company will cut available hours if you don't. – less
Beary Satisfied Associate Manager
Associate Workshop Manager (Current Employee), Dallas txOctober 26, 2012
Pros: the staff is amazing!, memorable guests, feeling valued as an employee and person
Cons: mediocre pay, promotions take forever because nobody ever wants to leave the company
This job is amazing! I've worked here for over two years and have very little negative things to say about the company. The managers and bear builders alike are genuine people that help you in and outside of work. The type of people they recruit definitely reflects in the way they run their stores(IE , you won't get in trouble for even putting off the – more... district manager to help a guest). The only thing I don't like is that most retailers have all their management full time which makes it hard because of their limited payroll . Advice? Keep focusing on the guests and doing right by them and not just the shareholders. Sure they may want you to cut payroll to line their pockets with profit but there's no profit to be made when every single store has multiple complaints about low staffing every month. An overall amazing job!!! – less
Loved My Job There
Cashier/Retail (Former Employee), Appleton, WISeptember 18, 2012
Build-a-bear is an excellent first job to work at. The management is always there helping out when they can and they work around any schedule that may arise. The customers were always friendly and were accepting of the crazy busy Christmas lines
Fun Fun Fun
Sales Associate (Bear Builder) (Former Employee), Collierville, TNSeptember 4, 2012
Pros: you got to stuff your own bear
Cons: no real benefits unless you were apart of managment
Great job for a college student. Some locations would host birthday parties for children of all ages. Sometimes people would come in with intimate stories about why they are stuffing their animal. Cool little store.
Where Best Friends Are Made
Associate Store Manager (Current Employee), Waterford, CTJuly 2, 2012
Pros: paid outs for food, yearly raises, room for improvement and flexible hours
Cons: n/a
Working at Build-A-Bear Workshop has been fun, challenging and filled with learning experiences. The best part of working at BAB is the co-workers. The least part is challenging customers. Making children smile is always a plus!
Get paid to PARTY!!!!
Bear Stuffer (Former Employee), Wauwatosa, WIJune 27, 2012
You have to absolutely love kids to enjoy this job. I started when I was 17 and the kids kept me on my feet...literally. Theres no such thing as sitting down to take a break, unless you're really on break. Hosting huge parties was my favorite part of the job because there were so many different CRAZY/fun personalities. I loved it! Management was pretty – more... cool. They did what was necessary to keep the place running. – less
Typical Day
Associate Manager (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIJune 19, 2012
Everyday we got to make a child happy. Customizing product made every experience unique.
Great Place To Work
Bear Builder (Former Employee), Woodbridge vaJune 3, 2012
I absolutely love this place. It was my first job and the best one just wish i had stayed longer.
Fun environment to work in
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), High WycombeJune 2, 2012
Pros: flexible help with univeristy exam times
Cons: too many staff, too little hours.
As a student, this was a very good place to work in. Management were relaxed yet firm with there staff, and the job was very flexible when it came to my university exams.
My favorite job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Springfield, MOMay 20, 2012
I really really enjoyed this job. Playing for work? Who could ask for more. I loved the staff and management was more than nice. We were like family. I loved it.
Fun Workplace
Master Bear Builder (Former Employee), Trumbull, CTMay 16, 2012
I loved working for Build a Bear. Time surely went by fast. I enjoyed my coworkers and the customers that came into the store. Everyone had a different story to tell. I felt like I belonged to a family when working there. Everyone was close to one another and management was very cool.
Fortune's 100 Best Companies to Work For
Chief Workshop Manager (Current Employee), Durham, NCApril 16, 2012
This was the fourth year on the list. They are great to work for. Job security is actually great. The only negative is that there are so many talented people competing for the very few spots that open. No one really wants to leave this company.

About Build-A-Bear Workshop

You Are Not Born a Bear, You Become One Build-A-Bear Workshop® brings the teddy bear to life, by bringing love, hugs, and – Read more

Build-A-Bear Workshop Photos