Build-A-Bear Workshop

Build-A-Bear Workshop Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Slow and Boring
Christmas Temp (Former Employee), GlasgowMarch 2, 2014
I didn't enjoy this position. Slow days and was send home few times as shop was so empty.
Fun job and work enviorment
Assistant Chief Workshop Manager/Day Maker (Former Employee), Erie, PAFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: fun, fast paced and easy to do.
Cons: management would pressure sales onto little kids through parents.
Ideas and creativity are always appreciated and encouraged.
It is a fun place to work at
Customer Service (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: having fun with the customers while working
Cons: short breaks
I have learned a lot at my job . it may have had their ups and down but over all it is a fun job. you meet great people and you learned from each other. like different ways of just saying hi or handling difficult situations.
Very fun place to work!
Bear Builder (Former Employee), Douglasville, GADecember 22, 2013
A typical day at work was very upbeat. we were pretty much always busy. making a child smile by stuffing their bear was what made the job worth while The management at Build A Bear was EXCELLENT! The downfall to the job was that the hours just aren't there.
Wonderful
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Billings, MTDecember 21, 2013
I learned a lot about how to handle customers of all ages from 6 months-66 years old or older. I enjoyed building bears for all the children and people and seeing them smile after receiving it. All the co-workers there are such nice people! They will do whatever they can to make a customer happy.
fun to work with kids
Floor Leader (Former Employee), Altamonte Springs, FLDecember 12, 2013
our guests were the best and the birthday parties were a blast to do (most of the time!)
Wonderful Guests
Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee), Ontario, CADecember 4, 2013
Pros: memories, fun
Cons: hours..thats it!
I'm currently still here as a seasonal and I love it.
of course hours are horrible, but that's a mall job for you.
Co-workers are amazing, management is amazing.

But the best part of working here is the wonderful guests. I love hearing their stories and being apart of their day. They always make my day:)
Very fun an fast paced enviornment.
Bear Builder (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXDecember 3, 2013
Very energetic place to work! Awesome staff and there is not a dull moment!
Very fun and rewarding place to work.
Sales Associate/ Associate Manager (Former Employee), Livingston, NJOctober 4, 2013
I love this job its a fun place to work especially if you love kids. there's always parties and you have to entertained the children. It's a very rewarding to see how happy a child get when they get a new bear.
Exciting fun workplace.
Associate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2013
This is a great workplace I interacted with customers on a daily basis. I learned how to build bears and work in fast paced environment. I loved seeing a the children that came into the store happy and satisfied.
fun and more fun!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: breaks, friendly people
Cons: manager didn't train very well
If you love to work with kids, this job is great! Very upbeat and friendly environment. Coworkers are super friendly! You will be smiling all day here!
There's really nothing that hard to do here.... You have to train to do parties, but that's probably the hardest thing you will ever do.
Just don't drink the kool-aid...
Management (Former Employee), Nowhere, USASeptember 9, 2013
Pros: good benefits, fun atmosphere
Cons: see below
I have worked in the retail industry for over a decade and was recruited for a management position with Build a Bear, that's is important to know because Build a Bear is structured very differently than other retailers.

First ,despite the pay differences, all members of management are supposedly on an equal level and we were encouraged to coach across – more... the board. I think this is a good idea in theory, but, I don't feel it's really works...I think it can cause confusion for the associates (they often don't know who they should listen to) and it (at my store anyway) can cause tension amongst the managers. I don't know if it's just the store I am at, or if it's the company's culture, but, my coworkers are incredibly nitpicky...its ridiculous. I had associates tell me that they like the job, but, are nervous being around the other leaders because they feel they are constantly being watched and judged (which they basically are), when I brought this up I was basically told 'too bad we are a company that focuses on coaching and development', which I get, but, at a certain point it just becomes micromanaging. I believe a good leader knows how to pick and choose their battles, otherwise you'll make yourself crazy.

Secondly, I totally disagree with the sales practice we were taught at Build A Bear...asking open ended questions is nothing new to retail, but, directing all those questions at a child (who of course is going to want everything we show them) is just...gross. It is constantly putting the parents in the position of having to be the bad guy and ruining the experience for them. We have gotten NUMEROUS guest complaints about our sales tactics.

Finally, there was just something a little...off about most of my coworkers. Everyone just seems to think that this job is oh-so-important and that it is just the greatest job ever...it's like a cult or something. I know I'm just a jaded retail employee, but, I've been around long enough to know that at the end of the day we are all about the bottom line just like every other retail operation on the planet.

Now, for the good: the benefits are great, the company actually gives management money for team-building (I've always had to pay out of pocket at other companies) part-time leaders get paid time off and part time associates get an extra day's pay in September. Since the job is more focused on customer experience there aren't a lot of crazy floor sets or anything like that, you are able to focus just on meeting the guests needs. And, of course it is nice to be able to just have fun with the kids and enjoy your time with them.

One more thing, there isn't a lot of room for advancement here, and I am actually wondering if this company will survive the long haul....I know they recently closed a lot of stores and I have heard they haven't turned a profit for a while. – less
Great company
Master Bear Builder (Current Employee), Mishawaka, INSeptember 8, 2013
Pros: bear builder appreciation month
Cons: only part time so no benefits
I have worked at build a bear for almost 7 years. They take care of their employees and treat them well.
Amazing place to work
Store Associate/ Bear Builder (Current Employee), Flower Mound, TXSeptember 6, 2013
Pros: fun enviroment, great management
Cons: not enough hours, huge retail lines
I love it there. Enough said.

We greet guests and tell them how the bear building process works, then proceed to take them through it. The more accessories or bears that we help them pick out, means more money for the store. Ending purchases can be from 10$-300$+. I personally like to make sure each guest is happy and has fun at the workshop. I try – more... making a personal connection with each child or adult by finding a common interest or compliment them about what bear they have chosen.

Stuffing bears, greeting, working with children and adults, and cleaning the store, pulling accessory and clothing bins. Handing out stickers, bows, and all giveaways are a plus. Stocking includes; Lifting Boxes and moving 15lb bags etc. All these are some of the things we do at the Workshop – less
Fun enviorment that turn into a family that was willing to grow as a group
Assistant Manger (Former Employee), Vancouver,WAAugust 26, 2013
Everyday you never know what would walk through the front door. I thought I have seen it all from working in the retail industry for as long as I have. Every day you are touching a kids heart by giving them your attention and making them feel special. You make that connection with the children and the parents. We learn to listen to what the needs are – more... of the guest that walk through the front door. We depend on the team to come together to make a special occasion for the guest. We would work together and give each other feedback even the employees would help coach the managers. This brought the team close and respect for each other. The hardest part of the job was having to help a child or parent who had lost a love one or a child that is going through chemotherapy due to having cancer. I have seen the children fight on a daily basis on overcoming cancer. The best part was making the connection with the children and the parents and having the kids run up to you and give you a big hug and tell you that your the best and they like coming in only when you work. I also have seen my regular guest that are children fight cancer and have won and that is the best part of helping them.I became a big fan of these children. They shared something that is so personal with me and they felt so comfortable to let me in and I can never tell you how much I appreciate it. – less
Fun and productive
Store Supervisor (Current Employee), SunderlandAugust 23, 2013
Starting as a sales associate, I joined the career tracks programmes which taught me everything to do with management from floor leadership to opening and closes. I found myself being able to effectively and efficiently being able to deploy people where required to maximise sales.
See Below
Bear Builder (Current Employee), spokane valley, waAugust 22, 2013
My day is filled with children making me giggle, and my co-workers always ask about my life and we enjoy the long days. Hardest part is sowing up the My Little Ponies, whereas the easiest and most enjoyable would be greeting all the customers.
Caring and thoughtful place with a big heart
International Marketing Intern (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOAugust 14, 2013
Pros: no overtime required, close to restaurants, family feel
Cons: tight cubicles every where, hard to get a hold of other departments at times
Working as an Intern in the international marketing department, I had a lot of experience with the international, marketing, accounting and PR departments. This group is a very thoughtful group that never takes anything as a bad sign. They always see the good in it and always find a way to make a negative (if there ever is any) into a positive. BBW – more... is always getting active in the community and is always pouring their heart into helping others. They strive to make every child happy. There is a reason what BBW is on the "Top 50 companies to Work For" year in and year out. Great place to work and a great place to have a fulfilling career. – less
Love it, just need .....
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, COJuly 31, 2013
A job that has somewhat of normal hours. Single Mom of three kids that have a lot of night time and weekend activities.
Great Starter
Bear Builder (Former Employee), Ontario, CAJuly 15, 2013
I worked here from the age of 15 1/2-18. I think its a great start up job for young adults trying to get into the work force. Its fun and light. Not to difficult. If you love being around kids or are good with kids this is definitely a good job for you. The have employee appreciation months where for every "good job" sticker you get on this chart, you – more... get and extra $5 on your paycheck and that can add up. They have incentives to keep the employees motivated. Overall a great job experience. – less

About Build-A-Bear Workshop

You Are Not Born a Bear, You Become One Build-A-Bear Workshop® brings the teddy bear to life, by bringing love, hugs, and – Read more

Build-A-Bear Workshop Photos