Build-A-Bear Workshop

Build-A-Bear Workshop Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great co workers but demanding hours
Party Leader (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 28, 2014
Pros: good discount
Cons: bad music
Management was great and they finally got rid of the bad district manager. Co workers are super friendly and open
Had to be cheerful your who,e shift which takes a lot out of you
Extremely fun atmosphere
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCMay 16, 2013
Pros: fun, family feel
Cons: you need lots of energy to keep up with the children
You get to have fun and "Play" with purpose all day. You learn to have fun while still doing your job without feeling like it's "Work"
Energetic Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), London, ONApril 27, 2013
This retail environment requires high energy employees who can engage with young children to older adults. Willingness to be unconventional is a must, as well as a passion for selling.
Wonderful and extreamly enjoyable work environment
Master Bear Builder (Current Employee), square oneFebruary 7, 2013
There is a wonderful training program in place. The co-workers are friendly and always make the workday activities as enjoyable as possible. You can tell the build a bear cares about the people who work for them, and in return they get happy and dedicated workers.
Super Fun Work Place!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), West EdmontonMay 3, 2012
Pros: great staff
Cons: not enough hours
If your a full time student looking to have a job that will bend around your school hours and exam times than look no further! Build a Bear is a great place to work with all of the happy and friendly co-workers! I mean that everyone that works there is friends! So if your looking for a great part time job and love children and have lots of energy than – more... look no further this is the place for you!

A typical day at work is : min 3.5hours all the way up to 8 hours depending and the amount of energy that you show on floor. YOu switch stations a lot so that no one gets boatd and everyone interacts with the guests to develop a picuture in their minds of the store to make them want to come back. You usually get your brake at the 3 hour mark so that your do not burn out by going on a brake to early.

The Best part of the job: The people that not only work there but the guests and the children !

The hardest part of the job: doing at 80 kids party and having the daycare staff not telling us! But don't worry we can still handled it – less
Excellent workplace enviorment
Bear Builder (Former Employee), Hato Rey, PRDecember 3, 2014
Build a Bear Workshop is a excellent place to develop your social and leadership skills. A typical day at work consist in greeting people, explain the concept of the store, guide them through the whole process of giving "life" to a bear. I learned how to handle customers in a caring and welcoming way, how to work as a team, how to persuade customers – more... and how to please them the way the want. As working with co-workers, it was good, you learn how different can the human being is and deal with different personalities to achieve a common goal that was a awesome customer service and profit the store. The hardest part of the job was learn how to deal not with the kids but with the parents, they are the ones that demand the most. The most enjoyable part of the job is being around kids and people, being able to socialize and see the satisfaction faces of the customers. Overall is really nice work. – less
Fun Fun Fun
Bear Builder (Former Employee), Independence, MODecember 3, 2014
This is a great and fun place to work working with kids and just a great environment to be in. What makes this job is the people and the management. if you work with people who love their jobs it will make it fun and the hours fly by. If the management doesn't know how to run the store or is unorganized then the whole store falls apart.
Sacrificing it's values...
Manager (Former Employee), USNovember 17, 2014
Pros: co-workers at the store level
I enjoy working in the location I am in. I have great coworkers and have surrounded myself with great, goal oriented people.
In the last year, the company has traded it's values for the dollars- in every aspect. It has sacrificed employee satisfaction, as well as guest satisfaction to make every last penny it can make.
Employees are told to suggestively – more... sell so many things, and it's hard to keep up with the tracking, and the negativity that consistently comes from not being able to achieve the unattainable goals.
We are told to sell sounds, heartbeats, scents, shoes, reusable bags, and gift cards and convert guests into parties. At the end of a transaction, most bears are $65+... it's difficult to continue to suggestively sell when someone shells out that kind of money for 1 bear. The is a report the comes out DAILY and there is always focus on the negative.
It's a shame. Build-A-Bear was such a great company and fun to work for. I understand that times have changed, and that sometimes we need to ramp up, or change the game... but it's too much. – less
Sales
Assistant Associate Sales Manager (Former Employee), Anaheim, CANovember 12, 2014
Long hours sometimes you are there until 2am cleaning and prepping the store for the next day. It is in Downtown Disney, so it gets very busy and you need to be prepared to be on your feet almost all day. It is a fun place to work and a good first job if you're willing to work the crazy hours.
Not all BABW's are the same
Customer Service (Former Employee), Nashville, TNSeptember 29, 2014
I worked at one and loved it, moved and HATED the new one. If you were not a "lifer" you were treated like garbage.
Everyone gets treated like family as soon as you walk through the door.
Associate Manager (Former Employee), San Mateo, CASeptember 17, 2014
I learned so much. How to be a team, how to be more individual and learn to be a better role model for new people starting. The hardest part would have to be: not being there all the time. Easiest part: Being there. It's a experience you won't forget.
Loved it
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 6, 2014
Love build a bear. Great job. Lots of happy people. Loved all my store managers.
fun place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Braintree, MA.August 29, 2014
Pros: got to be a big kid
I loved working here. It didn't really feel like you working because you were having fun.
BEAR LOVER
Bear Builder (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 23, 2014
AWSOME ENVIORMENT MAKING BEARS DRESSING BEARS AND MAKING EVERY PERSON LEAVE THE STORE WITH A SMILE.
Fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Schaumburg, ILAugust 19, 2014
Build-A-Bear Workshop is a fun place to work. It's a great first job for those looking to get started. Great training for the job for new hires.
A day at the Workshop
Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 10, 2014
Pros: free pizza/snacks/cake (from parties), lots of culture (60% of guests are tourists), guest friendly environment
Cons: managers decide when you break each day, favoritism is sometimes a deciding factor with hours, breaks, promotion etc.
A typical day includes working different stations such as the stuffing machine, dress me area, the register once your are register trained, or name me ( where you make the birth certificates). What I love about build a bear is the quality guest service initiative. It is our job, to greet every single guest, ask them if they know the process, have they – more... been here before and to help them along the way. I truly love coming into work every day, putting smiles on kids faces (adults too) and even singing happy birthday. Oh, and the best part is, the 5th Ave flagship location throws birthday parties, and I enjoy being paid to party with the kids and make them feel special on their special day.

The hardest part of the job, is that sometimes the store can get messy, guests will allow their children to tear up the store, and you have to find a way to minimize the mess without making them feel uncomfortable. As far as co-workers, you never know what your going to get. The ones that truly love their job make it pleasant, the ones that don't, give you attitude, are fairly unprofessional and make it a drag especially if its a slow day. Management is great, they do actually care and are willing to work with you, with the exception of the one bad apple of the bunch who is on a power trip, and treats certain individuals poorly, talks down to them, and is very petty..

either way I love my job, and it also works with my school schedule. So if your bright, bubbly and a people person, come on in and apply, they are always accepting applications. – less
Build-A-Bear Review
Temporary Christmas Job (Former Employee), Sheffield, ENGAugust 4, 2014
Pros: fun, discount at food places.
Cons: did not get full wage
I can not say much about this job as I was only there on a temporary Christmas Job role for a month however I really enjoyed the job as It was fun, However they did not pay me properly and I did not get as much work hours and they stated when I applied.
Amazing place to work that will bring a smile to everyone, everyday.
Manager (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 31, 2014
Pros: great fun, music, and happy people
Cons: stock room was not near the store and low staff
A typical day at work consisted of family's from all over the world coming in to create an experience they will never forget. I learned that adults can have fun too! Management was always on point and co-workers are very attentive. Hardest part of the job is keeping the store flowing without back ups in certain stations. The most enjoyable part of the – more... job was listening to stories and interacting with people who were making their bears. – less
Fun Workplace, excellent environment and people
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Estero, FLJuly 21, 2014
A typical day at work for me would be managing a group of 5-6 employees, assisting customers. I've learned how to do payroll, schedule employees. The most enjoyable part of my job would be the people I work with and working with the guests.
Fun place to work, wonderful people
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Collierville, TNJuly 18, 2014
At this job, I have had to interact with customers, making sure they find everything they want and keep them happy in a child-friendly environment. We value sales with smiles at Build-A-Bear, and try to brighten every individual customers day. Also at Build-A-Bear, we have to work the Point Of Sales system, lead and book parties, stock the store often, – more... do nightly clean up duties, operate the stuffing machine, and draw in customers. I believe one of the most important things is to provide the customers with outstanding service. Management is good and promotes a 'family' feeling within the store. The hardest part of working here is having to lead large parties and keep tons of kids together, happy, and entertained at once. I most enjoy helping returning guests and making both the children and adults happy. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Build-A-Bear Workshop

You Are Not Born a Bear, You Become One Build-A-Bear Workshop® brings the teddy bear to life, by bringing love, hugs, and – Read more

Build-A-Bear Workshop Photos