Browns Shoes Employee Reviews

fun workplace
CASHIER/ SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 February 2018
- engaging workplace with friendly staff
- customer service skills are developed tremendously
- workplace culture is amazing because of staff
- Browns teaches you a lot about leadership and customer service (how to deal with certain situations)
Fast-paced, unreliable but flexible scheduling, short breaks, commission, excellent customer service skills
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 January 2018
Working at Browns Shoes is a great learning experience for those starting off in retail and/or customer service. You learn how to work in a fast-paced environment, juggling sometimes more than two customers at a time, all while providing high standards of customer service. As a full time university student I was able to have a work schedule that best suited my needs and was able to ask for days off for exam purposes. I was able to take a month long summer vacation to travel as well. However, hours attributed to part-timers were often based on monthly performance over seniority. Part-timer schedules/hours are not consistent; fluctuate based on performance and store productivity (busyness) ! It is at times stressful when it comes to making your monthly sale quotas (commission). Breaks are short; sometimes only being allowed to have a 30 minute break during a 9 hour shift. Overall, working at Browns has been a positive experience; I have learned a lot about the industry and about myself.
Pros
Flexible hours; I was able to take a month long vacation as a part-timer
Cons
Hours based on performance not seniority, lack of consistency
It was a fun ans enjoyable experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 December 2017
It was a fun and enjoyable experience of me working at Browns, nice co-workers and very sanitize at all times but I guess it just wasn’t for me anymore because I wanted to explore more retail jobs.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
Sometimes not enough schedule for me
Fun and enjoyable
Sales adviser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 November 2017
I loved my Assistant manager; he was by far the one I worked with most of the time. He made work really fun and enjoyable and I loved it. There was always something to do in the front or the back because we liked to keep things organized and clean for customers.
Amazing
KEY HOLDER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 October 2017
Mediocre DM's but absolutely amazing team work and incredible company head office, computer system. Completely OUTSTANDING company owners! Brownsteins are INCREDIBLE
Great staff and peers, sometimes overwhelming
Stock Worker (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON3 July 2017
The other employees that worked there were great and really nice, but sometimes I'd have to work alone on a 2-3 person shift.

I worked from 10am-6pm, Monday-Friday, Sometimes would do overtime which I didn't mind because I was being paid. I worked with 2 other stock persons, and one of the associates requested Fridays off, or to come in late on Fridays for personal reasons, which wasn't too good because Fridays are basically clean up day and hardest day of the week.So it was a bit overwhelming on most days. Lame, but I had to deal with it. (Also I was in solo on Fridays until other guy game in late every week)

Management and staff are very nice and helpful, if you communicate well, you'll be fine. Everyone was basically just friends at work, but also got serious when the time was needed.

Overall, great job.
Pros
Experience, friendly staff
Cons
# of people for shifts were random, small break space
Nice workplace
Stockboy and sales representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 June 2017
Depending on where you apply, the job is simple and you can go at your own pace. There's a job to do and by the end of your shift it needs to be done.
Fun workplace with modernized people
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 June 2017
I love working here. The only thing that sets some employees back is the salary. This company does not give out raises to part time employees often,at least in my region. Other than that, great company with great discounts and great focus on customer service
Great management and an excellent workplace
Sales and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 June 2017
It is one of the few places where I enjoyed and believed being part of a team that worked together towards set goals while also keeping the workplace as comfortable and as enjoyable as possible.
Good job overall
Part-time Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 April 2017
Pros:
- employees are friendly and fun to work with
- good employee discounts
- flexible work times

Cons:
- management can be pushy at times
- some employees form cliques
Family like environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 April 2017
Managers like to get to know their employees. Helps build a rapport. Understanding for scheduling, and for reasons as to why you could not make a shift.
High paced and fun environment
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, ON7 March 2017
Browns Shoes I a great company to work for who highly respects their employees and treat one another like family.

It is a high paced working environment and we strive to facilitate sales, manage daily, monthly and seasonal quotas.

The hardest part of the job is during peak hours, especially weekends, when you're challenged with numerous customers at the same time while assuring each customer is properly being taken care of and feels of importance while in your care.

I've learned how to effectively communicate with customers and have mastered my sales approaches, almost always up-scaling my sales. This job has developed my confidence communicating with customers and has taught me how to effectively assure customer satisfaction.
Atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2017
In the beginning the job can be seem fun and surrounded by friendly competition among your co-workers. However, after working there for a year and a change of management, the store has become dull and repetitive. The change in management at some stores can be very demotivating.
family company
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 February 2017
Futuristic company.Good events in all sessions and very comfortable to the interior,Highly skilled staff for heavy work, and an excellent and dynamic group of supervisors.
Flexible schedules for employee comfort....thx
Pros
good working environment..
Cons
Lots of Fun and a Great Environment if your Managers are good!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 January 2017
One of the better retail jobs out there, you learn a lot about retail from this company. They teach you the basics and let you learn with guidance on the job. Most enjoyable part of the job is your coworkers, although there are always rough patches in general they will treat each other like family.
Pros
Great atmosphere and fun team environment
Cons
Career Advancement can be tricky
Good work environment
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 January 2017
One of the best job Ive had. It is a very good company as a worker or customer, I loved my years working there. My co-workers were amazing and the job itself very good!
day at work
Sales Associate and Stock Worker (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON30 December 2016
arrive at work stock shift for the upcoming shipment receive orders of product and then put away product then have lunch and keep at the shoe filling
Pros
fun environment
Cons
demnadning hours
What I learned
room for advancement
customer focused
competitive salary
customer focused.
Pros
Commission
Poor Management -- Employees Treated like numbers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2016
Had an amazing manager for 2 years and then he got promoted and we got a whole new management team. The new manager did not take the time to get to know his staff. Instead he just treated us like numbers. Only thing keeping a lot of people at the location from quitting is the fact that we have a close relationship with our coworkers outside of the store.
I have learned amazing customer service (from the old manager)
I have also learned how to stand on my feet for 12 hour shifts
The most enjoyable part of the job is the discounts. However, the pay could be a lot better. If you are sales you get commission and a base pay, however, if you are cash you only get a base pay. One would expect that a cashier would maybe get a bit more per hour than a sales person, however, this is not the case with this company. Cashiers get paid the same amount as the sales people and they do not get commission. -- When asking upper management about a raise opportunity, immediately shut down and told to get a raise you have to be exceptional at your job. Bottom line is if upper management likes you, you get a raise every year, if not then maybe you get one every other year.
Pros
50% off Shoes
Cons
Poor management
Was a learning experience
Sales Associate and Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 September 2016
I loved all of my coworkers although we did have a lot of turnarounds with the company (new management, new team)
I loved building the customer client profile. Had customers whom would love to come back to me.
I learned about commission based work, and I got to grow with the company itself.
Pros
Nice customers, most employees, easy work
Cons
Slow business, management changes too much.