Browns Shoes Employee Reviews

Poor Management -- Employees Treated like numbers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2016
Had an amazing manager for 2 years and then he got promoted and we got a whole new management team. The new manager did not take the time to get to know his staff. Instead he just treated us like numbers. Only thing keeping a lot of people at the location from quitting is the fact that we have a close relationship with our coworkers outside of the store.
I have learned amazing customer service (from the old manager)
I have also learned how to stand on my feet for 12 hour shifts
The most enjoyable part of the job is the discounts. However, the pay could be a lot better. If you are sales you get commission and a base pay, however, if you are cash you only get a base pay. One would expect that a cashier would maybe get a bit more per hour than a sales person, however, this is not the case with this company. Cashiers get paid the same amount as the sales people and they do not get commission. -- When asking upper management about a raise opportunity, immediately shut down and told to get a raise you have to be exceptional at your job. Bottom line is if upper management likes you, you get a raise every year, if not then maybe you get one every other year.
Pros
50% off Shoes
Cons
Poor management
Was a learning experience
Sales Associate and Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 September 2016
I loved all of my coworkers although we did have a lot of turnarounds with the company (new management, new team)
I loved building the customer client profile. Had customers whom would love to come back to me.
I learned about commission based work, and I got to grow with the company itself.
Pros
Nice customers, most employees, easy work
Cons
Slow business, management changes too much.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 September 2016
An average shift consists of greeting customers and providing quality fashion advice. I really grew as a person while working at Browns; I used to be really shy and kept to myself.
Brown's being a customer service based job (like many other jobs) helped me come out of my shell and I still continue to have a pleasant time working there.
I'd say the most enjoyable part is having customers leave with a big smile on their face; this alone lets me know I've done my job correctly.
Simple place
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 June 2016
It was a simple place to work. I learned basic selling techniques. The position did not involve task variation. Coworkers were pleasant.
Browns shoes
sales (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC3 June 2016
A classic retail job that managing is very unstable and does not seem to be caring about their employees. They have nice shoes but that's as far as it goes
Fast paced and competitive work environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON4 April 2016
Typical work day involved helping customers on a one to one basis and providing constructive feedback as well as valuable knowledge of the product. Also performed typical cash duties as well as general store maintenance. I learned how to work as part of a team, as well as deal with high pressure situations. These skills are very valuable when working with a team on a collaborative project with a tight deadline. Management was helpful and organized. Co-workers were competitive but friendly. The hardest part of the job was dealing with multiple customers at a time, but over time I became comfortable with this and became very skilled at handling these types of seemingly overwhelming situations. The most enjoyable part of the job was truly satisfied with the service I provided and came back time and time again for my service.
Pros
Commission based environment
Cons
Long hours and physical work(Ladder climbing, stock shifting)
Organized, multitaking, team player,dynamic
Store representative (Current Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QC17 February 2016
I have been working for Browns for about ten years now. Working for this great company I have been given much experience with customers, computers and many responsibilities as well.

I was given for many years the responsibility to open and close the office on many occasions. Working closely with all browns stores in aiding them with customer orders. Preparation for our seasonal sales and Inventory. Sending out supplies and binders to each store with specific details on how to proceed with sale and inventory. Organizing orders and verifying store and warehouse inventory.
Pros
I have gained much experience with working at Browns
Good environment when it comes to communicating with customers
SALES ASSOCIATE/STOCK (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON23 December 2015
- A typical day at Browns Shoes is to meet you're daily goals. To provide customer service to customers in a professional matter. Help maintain the store while working as team.
- Working at Browns Shoes I learned how to manage time, have patience, improved my communication skills, etc.
- Management is very understanding and reasonable.
- Co-workers are all friendly and respectful.
- Hardest part of the job is when there is low traffic.
- Most enjoyable part of the job is communicating with different customers and having conversations with them.
Pros
Reasonable
Cons
Weekly shifts vary on traffic
A good company to work for
stock (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 December 2015
Work is work, you go in, open boxes and shift in new inventory or spend the day cleaning and fixing mistakes found through out the stock room.
Support staff where possible with stock or suggestions when required.
Hours vary from 3 hours to 9-10 depending on how much needs to be done in a particular day.
Ups and downs as normal in a retail setting, but overall job is fine and the people are pleasant, just not enough work these days to live off of so more is required for myself personally.
I would recommend working for Browns, but more in sales than stock if asked.
Pros
Was able to work and do film together for a time.
Cons
Not enough work anymore since opening 3 extra stores in the city
Fun work place
Cashier/Sales Associate/Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta16 October 2015
I enjoyed working at browns for the most part, the people i worked with were great and it could be a fun enivorment to work in. Some days were very slow so it made it hard to want to be there but when it was busy it was alot of fun. I got to meet lots of different kinds of clientel and learned lts about comfort in your feet.
Hours and management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 October 2015
I was a returning sales associate from leave due to university out of town and my original manager had left the company which lead me to having to beg the new manager for hours. instead of him helping me out he stared at me inappropriately all three times I came in to speak with him.
A great part time job with great discounts.
sales (Former Employee) –  ottawa ontario17 August 2015
Not a life career job. But its good just to have on the side as a side job. 50% off with discounts, which is always good. The people are great to work with.
Really no negative feedback on this job
Stockboy (Former Employee) –  Brossard, QC5 August 2015
-Really friendly colleagues
-Always willing to help if you need something
-really useful work experience
-Chance of advancement which is really important
-Salary review at the end of the year
Pros
discounts
Cons
unpredictable calls
Fun place to work and keep you on your toes
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 August 2015
A typical day at Browns starts with thinking of ways to achieve your sales goal for the day and hitting every percentage. Everytime I make a sale --you think of ways to add more accessories to the product. I learnt to overcome rejections and sell more than one item. Management works with your skill set and teaches you how to reach your full potential. You learn to work with different type of people and gain a great deal of knowledge.
Fast learning environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver BC30 March 2015
A typical day at work would include greeting costumers. Making sure everything stays organized, and using the till. I have learnt many skills from browns such as organization, time management and greeting skills. My co works were amazing and very helpful. The management was fair and very nice. The hardest part of the job was remembering all the little details, the most enjoyable part of the job was taking time to help the customer find the right pair of shoes.
Cashier and Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  mississauga, ontario9 November 2014
Brown Shoes is a great company however they need some improvements with management team such as, no professional skills and try to make a positive environment for employees.
Pros
Great discount
Cons
Overworked
Unhappy employees
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Scarborough3 March 2014
Browns has a good culture but the full time employees worked on commission and was always in competition with each other and always complaining. Made the work atmosphere uncomfortable at times.
organize and give intructions
Key Holder/ keyholder assitant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 January 2013
a typical dat at work is checking the goal of the quaote of the day check schedule whos is in whos out, breaks, emails, clients, new productes, new employes, training, open and close cash, cleaning
Excellent Canadian Run Company
Sales Associate - Promenade Mall (Former Employee) –  Toronto and Various Surounding Cities6 December 2012
Provided the right retail foundation for my career in the industry.
Bilingual Retail Manager
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 November 2012
Great company to work for. Management was a little weak. Most enjoyable part of the day was helping customers.
Pros
meeting people
Cons
belittled