Browns Shoes Employee Reviews

Fun and enjoyable
Sales adviser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 November 2017
I loved my Assistant manager; he was by far the one I worked with most of the time. He made work really fun and enjoyable and I loved it. There was always something to do in the front or the back because we liked to keep things organized and clean for customers.
Amazing
KEY HOLDER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 October 2017
Mediocre DM's but absolutely amazing team work and incredible company head office, computer system. Completely OUTSTANDING company owners! Brownsteins are INCREDIBLE
Great staff and peers, sometimes overwhelming
Stock Worker (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON3 July 2017
The other employees that worked there were great and really nice, but sometimes I'd have to work alone on a 2-3 person shift.

I worked from 10am-6pm, Monday-Friday, Sometimes would do overtime which I didn't mind because I was being paid. I worked with 2 other stock persons, and one of the associates requested Fridays off, or to come in late on Fridays for personal reasons, which wasn't too good because Fridays are basically clean up day and hardest day of the week.So it was a bit overwhelming on most days. Lame, but I had to deal with it. (Also I was in solo on Fridays until other guy game in late every week)

Management and staff are very nice and helpful, if you communicate well, you'll be fine. Everyone was basically just friends at work, but also got serious when the time was needed.

Overall, great job.
Pros
Experience, friendly staff
Cons
# of people for shifts were random, small break space
Nice workplace
Stockboy and sales representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 June 2017
Depending on where you apply, the job is simple and you can go at your own pace. There's a job to do and by the end of your shift it needs to be done.
Great management and an excellent workplace
Sales and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 June 2017
It is one of the few places where I enjoyed and believed being part of a team that worked together towards set goals while also keeping the workplace as comfortable and as enjoyable as possible.
Good job overall
Part-time Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 April 2017
Pros:
- employees are friendly and fun to work with
- good employee discounts
- flexible work times

Cons:
- management can be pushy at times
- some employees form cliques
Family like environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 April 2017
Managers like to get to know their employees. Helps build a rapport. Understanding for scheduling, and for reasons as to why you could not make a shift.
High paced and fun environment
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, ON7 March 2017
Browns Shoes I a great company to work for who highly respects their employees and treat one another like family.

It is a high paced working environment and we strive to facilitate sales, manage daily, monthly and seasonal quotas.

The hardest part of the job is during peak hours, especially weekends, when you're challenged with numerous customers at the same time while assuring each customer is properly being taken care of and feels of importance while in your care.

I've learned how to effectively communicate with customers and have mastered my sales approaches, almost always up-scaling my sales. This job has developed my confidence communicating with customers and has taught me how to effectively assure customer satisfaction.
Atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2017
In the beginning the job can be seem fun and surrounded by friendly competition among your co-workers. However, after working there for a year and a change of management, the store has become dull and repetitive. The change in management at some stores can be very demotivating.
family company
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 February 2017
Futuristic company.Good events in all sessions and very comfortable to the interior,Highly skilled staff for heavy work, and an excellent and dynamic group of supervisors.
Flexible schedules for employee comfort....thx
Pros
good working environment..
Cons

Want to know more about Browns Shoes?

Ask a question
Lots of Fun and a Great Environment if your Managers are good!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 January 2017
One of the better retail jobs out there, you learn a lot about retail from this company. They teach you the basics and let you learn with guidance on the job. Most enjoyable part of the job is your coworkers, although there are always rough patches in general they will treat each other like family.
Pros
Great atmosphere and fun team environment
Cons
Career Advancement can be tricky
Good work environment
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 January 2017
One of the best job Ive had. It is a very good company as a worker or customer, I loved my years working there. My co-workers were amazing and the job itself very good!
What I learned
room for advancement
customer focused
competitive salary
customer focused.
Pros
Commission
Poor Management -- Employees Treated like numbers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2016
Had an amazing manager for 2 years and then he got promoted and we got a whole new management team. The new manager did not take the time to get to know his staff. Instead he just treated us like numbers. Only thing keeping a lot of people at the location from quitting is the fact that we have a close relationship with our coworkers outside of the store.
I have learned amazing customer service (from the old manager)
I have also learned how to stand on my feet for 12 hour shifts
The most enjoyable part of the job is the discounts. However, the pay could be a lot better. If you are sales you get commission and a base pay, however, if you are cash you only get a base pay. One would expect that a cashier would maybe get a bit more per hour than a sales person, however, this is not the case with this company. Cashiers get paid the same amount as the sales people and they do not get commission. -- When asking upper management about a raise opportunity, immediately shut down and told to get a raise you have to be exceptional at your job. Bottom line is if upper management likes you, you get a raise every year, if not then maybe you get one every other year.
Pros
50% off Shoes
Cons
Poor management
Was a learning experience
Sales Associate and Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 September 2016
I loved all of my coworkers although we did have a lot of turnarounds with the company (new management, new team)
I loved building the customer client profile. Had customers whom would love to come back to me.
I learned about commission based work, and I got to grow with the company itself.
Pros
Nice customers, most employees, easy work
Cons
Slow business, management changes too much.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 September 2016
An average shift consists of greeting customers and providing quality fashion advice. I really grew as a person while working at Browns; I used to be really shy and kept to myself.
Brown's being a customer service based job (like many other jobs) helped me come out of my shell and I still continue to have a pleasant time working there.
I'd say the most enjoyable part is having customers leave with a big smile on their face; this alone lets me know I've done my job correctly.
Simple place
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 June 2016
It was a simple place to work. I learned basic selling techniques. The position did not involve task variation. Coworkers were pleasant.
Browns shoes
sales (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC3 June 2016
A classic retail job that managing is very unstable and does not seem to be caring about their employees. They have nice shoes but that's as far as it goes
Browns shoes
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Ville St Laurent, QC15 April 2016
une journée chez Browns typique est ce rendre dans mon département faire le travail laisser par mes collèges du soir qui consiste a s'occuper du shipping et du receiving .
Pros
50% de rabais sur les souliers
Cons
courtes pauses
Fast paced and competitive work environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON4 April 2016
Typical work day involved helping customers on a one to one basis and providing constructive feedback as well as valuable knowledge of the product. Also performed typical cash duties as well as general store maintenance. I learned how to work as part of a team, as well as deal with high pressure situations. These skills are very valuable when working with a team on a collaborative project with a tight deadline. Management was helpful and organized. Co-workers were competitive but friendly. The hardest part of the job was dealing with multiple customers at a time, but over time I became comfortable with this and became very skilled at handling these types of seemingly overwhelming situations. The most enjoyable part of the job was truly satisfied with the service I provided and came back time and time again for my service.
Pros
Commission based environment
Cons
Long hours and physical work(Ladder climbing, stock shifting)