Bronte College is an independent multi-cultural day and boarding high school in Mississauga, Ontario founded in 1991. Bronte College offers academic high school courses from Grades 9 to 12, the Advanced Placement (AP) Program, English as a Second Language (ESL). Academic excellence is the mandate of the academic teaching staff. The safety and well being of our students is the mandate of the residence team. Helping students learn about Canadian culture and helping them make Bronte College their home away from home is essential. We are currently seeking two Teacher Dons, one for the male residence and one for the female residence.
Our mandate is to have every employee share and be involved in the mission and growth of the company.
As a Teacher Don, you will:
- Assist with maintaining a safe, clean and caring environment for all students living in residence.
- Be regularly visible and available for assigned residence/house.
- Assist with organizing, leading and attending residence activities and trips and events.
- Support the Guidance Department through tutoring of assigned students and supervising the evening Study Hall.
- Ensure that the residence is secure and the students are abiding by the Bronte College Code of behaviour at all times.
- To coordinate the delivery of all residence services to students to accomplish departmental goals.
- Respond to the needs of students and promote a positive and friendly atmosphere in the residence.
- Supervise the evening Study Hall and assist students with their homework.
- Available and on call 24/7 when assigned.
- Organize and chair weekly floor meetings.
- A member of residence committees.
- Maintain informal contact with students about academic progress, personal concerns and make appropriate referrals.
- Bring or ensure an adult is with students at health clinics and hospitals when needed.
- Liaise with school nurse regarding student injuries or illnesses.
- Liaise with maintenance and cleaning staff with student concerns, residence conditions and room preparedness.
- Liaise with parents when required.
- Assign rooms and maintain a current Room Allocation List of room allocations.
- Ensure that weekly room inspections have been carried out.
- Assist with home stay resources when required.
- Schedule resources and perform airport pick-ups and drop-offs.
- Trained in the fitness centre equipment usage and safety.
- Gain experience teaching with supply teaching if available (will be compensated separately).
- Supervise the library when required.
- Front desk duties when sitting at the front desk.
- To complete any additional duties assigned by Senior Management.
- Hours of work: 37.5 per week; normal working hours are evening and weekend.
- Frequent irregular hours.
- Overnight retreats are a requisite of the position.
- Available and on-call 24/7 for emergencies when assigned.
- Ability to lift or move heavy equipment or objects of 20lbs.
- Live-in with full meal plan is optional.
You will possess the following requirements:
- University Degree or College diploma or equivalent working experience.
- Ontario College of Teachers qualified and in good standing.
- Valid G driver’s license.
- Certified first aid trained.
- Experience using a computer and computer applications required.
- Experience with adolescents in a residential setting.
- Excellent command of the English language.
- Certified first aid training.
- Other languages are an asset
- Enjoys working in a diverse multi-cultural environment
1. Submit resume and cover letter through email.
2. We thank all applicants for applying and will only contact those selected for an interview.