Title: School Nurse
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Employment type: Part-time
Bronte College is an independent multi-cultural day and boarding high school in Mississauga, Ontario founded in 1991. Bronte College offers academic high school courses from Grades 9 to 12, the Advanced Placement (AP) Program, and English as a Second Language (ESL). Academic excellence is the mandate of the academic teaching staff. Helping students learn about Canadian culture and helping them make Bronte College their home away from home is essential. As an IB World School, Bronte College is Peel Region’s first private school authorized to offer the Primary Years Programme and is a candidate school for the Middle Years Programme.
Our mandate is to have every employee share and be involved in the mission and growth of the company.
As a School Nurse, you will:
- To assist in ascertaining the level of illness exhibited by students (and staff on occasion). If necessary, make a recommendation regarding isolation, clinic visit or immediate intervention of a higher level.
- Attend to any student injuries and assess required first aid.
- Escort students to the clinic or hospital when required.
- Maintain records regarding students visiting the school nurse.
- Maintain forms related to nursing functions, including health insurance claim forms.
- Liaise with Public Health regarding communicable and contagious diseases.
- Liaise with Public Health and parents/students regarding immunization records.
- Prepare and present to Bronte College students material on pertinent issues such as:
- Hygiene, healthy living , smoking, drug abuse.
- Support with students exhibiting extensive truancy issues that may be connected to health issues.
- Gather permission forms for any vaccinations being offered and work with Public Health to ensure students receive their vaccinations.
- Record, store and monitor any medications that parents may request we manage for students. (i.e. duplicate epi-pens, asthma puffers, seizure medication).
- Create and maintain an emergency medical alert list of all students and staff who have potential life threatening allergies or medical conditions.
- Maintain membership on the Health and Safety Committee and the Pandemic Committee.
- Assist with health clinics as required.
- Review the Bronte College anaphylactic policy and instruct staff on the use of epi-pens.
- Review the Bronte College isolation policies and offer feedback for future consideration.
- Work with student leaders to create interest in healthy lifestyle.
- Hours of work: 25 to 37.5 hours per week; normal start time is 7:30am.
- Required to work extended hours on occasion.
- Starting at $20.00 per hour.
You will possess the following requirements:
- Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) or equivalent.
- At least 1 year of related experience.
- Valid G driver’s license an asset.
- Certified first aid trained.
- Experience using a computer and computer applications required.
- Excellent command of the English language.
- Other languages are an asset
- Enjoys working in a diverse multi-cultural environment
1. Submit resume and cover letter through email
2. We thank all applicants for applying and will only contact those selected for an interview.