Brocade Employee Reviews

Culture has never been worse.
Contact Renewals Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 28, 2016
The company used to be really fun to work for. Since new executives have been in house, they seem to be cleaning house from inside.

They continue to reduce staff, and add more work. We have seen them do some pretty underhanded deals which cost an entire department their jobs with 2 weeks notice.

They take employee surveys on the workplace, which are limited in a way to make it seem as if the results improve each year.

New hires tend to be right out of college or "early career", which allows them to keep from hiring more experienced employees. Meanwhile new executives seem to be hired every month.

Unless you have a strong relationship with a top level manager you have little opportunity to apply for jobs at remote locations, leaving little room for advancement.
benefits
Cons
over 1/2 of vac is used on shut down
A smaller company with room to shine.
Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 18, 2015
Brocade is a smaller company with a good corporate culture. Benefits and compensation where good for a full time employee.
OK place to work, antequated work environment and management style
PROGRAM MANAGER - SOFTWARE OPERATIONS (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 28, 2015
Good pay, average benefits, old school management. Way too much red tape for a company its size. Not very progressive or exciting, it's a job not a career.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Old School Management, lack of training and career opportunities, no RSUs after initial job offer
I really enjoyed working at Brocade
Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJanuary 14, 2016
Excellent management. Great experience.

The work was challenging but fun. We were exposed to all aspects of networking.

The management was superb, great people.
Strong company
Inventory Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 13, 2015
Brocade is a solid company that has proven themselves as a solid company with an outstanding product. The culture is typically a friendly work environment. depending on your profession you could either work a 40hr week or a 60 hr. week. They offer competitive compensation and are always looking for fresh talent.
Tough place to work with high emphasis on employee/management politics,
Community Affairs Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 7, 2016
A typical day is fast pace, tactical deliverable driven with lots of meetings. Hardest part of the job is weeding through politics and eroding corporate culture.
Tech Leader
Sr. Staff ASIC PD Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 7, 2016
An advance technique company that focus on products and profit. Very good benefits to employees as well with ESPP, 401k matching and profit sharing.
Family friendly with a great work/life balance
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAOctober 6, 2015
Brocade is a nice location filled with many intelligent and focused people. The company promotes a great work/life balance and headquarters is easily accessible from 237.
Pros
Nice campus, mature workforce, updated facilities
Cons
Pay is slightly lower than industry standard
Management needs to value it's talented people.
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 7, 2015
Brocade has really been changing for the worse and it seems employees are not valued as they should be. There are so many wonderful, talented, competent people there and management is not treating them well. The company is fast moving and changes directions quickly, so hold on for the ride.
Pros
workers are great and fun
Cons
management needs to value their employees.
Great entry level position
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Broomfield, COJune 23, 2015
Great work life balance and you will learn a lot about the industry. Almost not opportunity for advancement. You pretty much must leave the company if you want to progress in your career.
Pros
Ping pong table, casual dress
Cons
Little to no opportunity for advancement
Plenty to go around
Sr. Facility Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 11, 2016
Lots of work to go around with a lot of talent to pick from. Outstanding SAN, Ethernet, SDN and other offerings.
Prepared to be in the all things "Internet".
Solid Silicon Valley networking company with some flaws
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Central USJuly 10, 2016
Brocade has been a pretty great company for me. The pay is good and the benefits are decent. The 401k plan is ok (Fidelity) with a decent match. The SE organization is a pretty good place to work within the company. The leadership in the SE organization seems to understand our line of work very well, which can't be said about other leadership at other companies. Some of the VPs are very good and are passionate about the Networking industry.

Like any company that has ever existed, Brocade does have some flaws. The upper management and board seem to have committed on long term investment with the Ruckus acquisition rather than continuing to focus on budget cuts and departmental trimming that have been the norm for the last three years. I firmly believe our current CEO was brought in to polish the balance sheet, throw in a couple of hyped up products all to prime the company for sale. It no longer looks like that is going to happen. As such there are a couple of really cool projects currently underway in Brocade's core SAN and IP business that are major investments and will secure solid revenues for years to come.

There are a few holdouts in the product divisions from the Foundry days, and unfortunately some of them have very bad habits that haven't died after all these years. A couple of the product lines are severely lacking in industry level QA. This makes life for field SEs and support incredibly stressful when working with large customers and something that should have easily been caught in QA blows up on us. This has gotten better over time, but some
  more... product lines have a long way to go.

There is also the forced two weeks of shutdown in the summer and week of Christmas that everyone has to use PTO for. For your first 5 years, you only have about two weeks of PTO, so you are forced to burn much of it during those times whether you want to or not.
Contract position
Marketing Budget Analyst - Contractor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 28, 2013
Unfortunately this contract position did not leave me any room for advancement or job stability or security. My contract was cut short to 1 year. I would have liked to have had the possibilities to advance my position at Brocade, as I feel like I have a lot more to offer than what was being utilized. Although this was communicated to management, I was never given a chance to do more. They are losing a valuable asset.
Pros
working from home 75% of time
Cons
contract - no benefits. 3 hour round trip commute.
Good place to work, Management needs rotation
Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 22, 2014
People are really great to work with and care about doing the right thing. Many of the executives have been in position for more than a decade. While they have created strong functional organizations, they have been in the same role too long creating very stove piped organizations that are fearful of raising issues outside of their organization. This results in an upward only management style, with executives making decisions for minor issues. Delegation and empowerment are needed
New Executives have come in clearly to pretty up the company for a sale or merger. Result is cost cutting for short term results. Top line growth is being entirely focused on SDN &NFV. The problem here is that while growth in early stages can appear large as a %, it takes years for the numbers to grow to be relevant to an existing $4B revenue stream. Can they survive the gap, will the CEO hold off the board long enough? It is believed he has another year, but in reality probably longer.
Pros
people, facilities, compensation
Cons
executive management style
good work environment
Senior Staffing Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 20, 2015
I worked with the software development teams so found the work both interesting and challenging. Management team was pretty good as well. Kept their teams informed on company developments, so communication was good
Pros
good team of people
Cons
none that I am aware of
Great place to work. Cutting edge technology and the culture is fantastic.
Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 4, 2012
When first arriving to Brocade, I was entered into a 9 Month rotation, that introduced me to 3 different engineering organizations within our department.

Along with that, I went through a 3 week course for newly hired college students. The course offered valuable information about the work environment, how to professionally hold meeting, and how to strive to be a better employee.

People may not know a lot about Brocade, but the culture and management offer a lot of experience a a great place to work.
Pros
game room, lunch meetings, offsites
Cons
long learning curve
Solid benefits but weak management
NPI Program Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 1, 2014
Leadership is confusing. Long term goals are unclear. Upper management lacks vision and execution aka know how.
Overall employees are solid.
Too much politics within mid/upper management staffs
Pros
good campus and benefits
Cons
politics and incompetent mid-upper management
Work is Great/Management is Not
Sr. Configuration Analyst (Current Employee) –  San JoseOctober 30, 2013
I love what I do. Typically, I work on at least 2-4 New Products. This entails attending Engineering and Operations weekly meetings, processing Hardware Design changes in less than 48 hours and basically supporting all my internal customers [in the US and China] on a 24/7 schedule.

My co-workers are generally very nice, professional people. The exception to this would be my immediate peers and immediate management. Middle management at Brocade is really weak and seems to be getting worse. Peer support in my area is non-existent and management fosters a suspicious, resentful environment by inconsistently focusing on perceived issues with constant haranguing and then admonishment when you don't agree.

Also, themes of misogyny here. CEO has made comments in All Hands about how women dress better on the East Coast and the ladies here need to step it up. Nothing about our male counterparts.
Pros
some flexibility
Cons
poor management; misogynistic culture
Excellent work environment.
M&A PROJECT MANAGER (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 3, 2015
I found Brocade to be a great work environment, with lots of attention spent on the well being and live balance of their employees.
Good pay and team culture
Delivery Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2014
Model company for excellent benefits and training.

Good performance review structure and practice.
Pros
excellent training and working culture for team work
Cons
job security

4.2