British High Commission Employee Reviews

Productive fun place with career growth
Process Documentation Analysis/Coordination (Former Employee) –  Islamabad9 December 2016
It has been fantastic and I will always miss my this job. It was very high profile job and I was so lucky I had very friendly and cooperative management.
Benefits
Cons
Stress
Mixed experience
Trade and Investment Officer (Former Employee) –  Dhaka5 August 2016
I had completely opposite experience while working under two different bosses at the same job. It depends a lot on your manager than the organization.

My first manager was bold, confident and had the ability to think out of the box. He never let people play office politics. I learned a lot from him.

Since my first manager's tenure was over (diplomats come for only few years), there was a transition and I had completely opposite experience with the new one. She was nervous, process-oriented and was very quick to judge. She works best with people pleasers and under her tenure, there was lot of office politics. I knew MS Excel better than her and she was not comfortable with that.
Pros
Challenging, nice club in the embassy premises
Cons
Politics by local staff
Excellent place to work. Diverse cultures
Data Entry Officer (Former Employee) –  New Delhi, Delhi15 June 2016
As a young person I was very eager to learn the work and as a result I was trained quickly. Soon after my training I gained confidence so much so that I was tasked with training others which I very much enjoyed. The amount of data that needed transferring to the database kept me busy throughout the day.

I learnt to be accurate and developed an eye for details. On one occasion I was commended by the Management for rectifying a major flaw in the process. The Management was very supportive of my endeavours.

My colleagues having identified that I was totally new to the country supported me in every way. My father was a British Diplomat and was posted to New Delhi/India and I was with him as his dependent.
Opinion
At present working as Regional Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bhubaneshwar, Orissa24 October 2016
I have always headed chapter offices. So I like taking risk and address all the activities of a said office. Co-workers have really helped me to work as team.

I like working for limited hours with all dedication and efficiency My present organisation is an excellent place to work., but my only criteria is to stay in Bhubaneswar.

I am well connected with bureaucrats and politicians of the state. I established myself to be name to reckon with in Odisha
fun workplace
basic adminstrator (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape16 November 2016
It was great working here, I learned and experienced a lot.
I learned how to be a positive worker and the workers were very pleasant and kind.
Pros
free lunch and transport
Cons
flexible working hours
A serious workplace with lots of things to do which matter to a country's economy.
Trade and Investment Advisor- Life Sciences (Former Employee) –  Hyderabad, India2 November 2015
I loved this job as it gave me a very challenging assignment that I had never done before. Influence a country's economy and enhance government relations between the two countries. This role gave me full ownership of a region and helped me gain more experience in prioritization and time management.
Pros
Good number of holidays/leaves
Cons
Not enough compensation for the kind of work we are expected to do
Great learning place
Visa Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Delhi, Delhi28 April 2016
Great place to learn all kinds of work. Provided alot of variety in work ranging from handling kids to Admin. Good management and co-workers nice to work with.
Pros
Parties
Cons
work on short notices
job satisfaction
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Abuja ( locally engaged)8 December 2015
construction management is ideal for me as i have a general interest in building and design ,working as a team player, making desitions on the spot, practical experience is one of the best ways to glean the technical know-how
Pros
meet and deal with all walks of life
Cons
long hours / not much flexibility
Diplomat ofrganisation with Corporate environment and diverse cultures
Team leader correspondence (Former Employee) –  New Delhi, DL4 June 2015
-Managing teams and reviewing benchmarks as per tat commitments
-manage operations and peoples management
-supporting and helpful co-workers.
-difficult benchmarks and change in policies quite often
-work life balance - good hours and flexible working environment
Pros
good fexible hours
Cons
not excellent compensations
professional and reputable to work.
Vice Consul (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Freetown6 June 2016
checked my outlook to see the tasks outlined for the day. meetings with the team to plan for the week. looked after the interest of british nationals leaving in Sierra Leone. Hardest part was during the Ebola epidemic and the most enjoyable was helping people out.
Pleasant place to work
Passport Officer / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pretoria Hatfield24 May 2012
After arriving for work there is a general "meeting" where everyone gets to greet each other whereupon the day begins. A day allows two teatimes and a lunch of 45 minutes. A typical work week is only 36 hours as fridays will see you leave at 13h00 already! Every person treats the other with respect and some management staff is so down to earth you won't guess them to be management.

The hardest part of the job is the sometimes monotonous nature as it is quite repetative.

Most enjoyable is the fact that it is probably the place where you as employee will be treated the best in the country.
Pros
benefits and short hours
Cons
other sa employees
Administration Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Malawi27 April 2016
Committed work place with several worth while trainings.
Several opportunities
Fun staff able to communicate through several ways (laughter)
Pros
Free gym, free club services, flexible working hours
Cons
unprofessional staff
Requirement to process up to 35 applicants for British Passports
Passport Examiner (Former Employee) –  British High Commission Wellington New Zealand1 August 2014
Prioritizing applications in order of Urgency and priority. Ensuring all applications were processed and any that were pended were followed up by email or phone call.

Mixing with a range of Cultures ensuring teamwork and work was completed accurately and in a timely manner.

Hardest part was following up on First time applications from Countries such as Uganda, and Procterates. Having to consult Nationality act from 1948 to see if they qualified for a British Passport.
Pros
Good Renumeration and advancement
Cons
Sometimes extra hours worked to ensure continuity
Interesting work, oppurtunity to be involved in process changes, close working relationships.
Team Leader - Passport Office (Former Employee) –  Wellington, N5 October 2013
A typical day at work was always being adaptable to whatever that day might bring. Always with targets to be meet on a daily basis but also being open minded to working with others and working along side my team.to achieve end results. I loved the chance to be a on both ends of the scale as Management in making the systems work and finding better ways in processes but also taking my team along with me and getting them to also buy in to changes. Also working together with other managers and giving support where and when needed. The hardest part was being target driven and keeping staff motivated at the busy periods. The most enjoyable part was the people I worked with and the relationships developed over the years.
Pros
The company
Cons
Knowing it was coming to an end due to repatreation back to the UK
Good Brand
Pre-Posting Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  new delhi29 July 2014
I have bettered my programme management, administration and budgeting skills.

I have learnt a lot of how high level visits are planned and carried out.

I am quite happy with my Line Manager since I have the autonomy to conduct the programme independently.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
low salary and less growth opportunities
Hands on and comfortable workplace
Media intern at UK Trade & Investment (Former Employee) –  Sydney30 December 2013
Working from 9-5 I was required to write newsletter articles, manage the social media feed, and create a promotional film of the British presence at the International Fleet Review in Sydney.

Management and co-workers were extremely friendly as well as helpful.
Working wih British High Commission, Islamabad
Plant/Boiler Engineer (Current Employee) –  Islamabad, PIS11 January 2014
1- Take shift charge with follow ups, take detaile round of plant room and other related areas like generator room, softener, AHU site, water and diesel oil storage tanks, HT and LT panel room, cooling towers and chemical storage room.
2- Got more sufficient practical knowledge of HVAC, boiler operation, water analysis and elecrical power management to perform day to day resposibilities in efficient manners.
3-Managment appreciates efforts made by staff to enhance performance.
4-I have an examplery relation with my co-workers and we are doing as one team.
5-Now there is nothing as hard part of job.
6- I enjoy every part of the job while doing it.
Entry Clearance Assistant, Team Leader
Entry Clearance Assistant, Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Nairobi, Kenya2 August 2013
• General Office management, management of entry clearance assistants, backup to the office manager.
• Team leader; manage 5 locally engaged entry clearance assistants. Administer leave, sickness, training and line management within team.
• Oversee workflow of the visa section and ensure targets are met.
• Prepare office statistics monthly and annually. Perform independent investigations of applicants, such as credit or background checks
• Data entry of applications, customer service and printing visa’s with relevant security clearance.
productive but can be stressful
Visa Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Delhi4 July 2015
fun work place but management doesn't back you. management doesn't apply useful scientific management techniques to handle day to day problems in business process. no scope of personal or professional development. high amount of red tape and poltics
Pros
swimming pool, gym, tennis court, BAR
Great place and experinece to work with Diplomatic Mission
New Delhi as Visa Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Delhi, DL23 April 2015
I learned great communication skills. Importance of maintaining accurate, relliable and accessible data. Having no scope of making mistake improved my sincerity, dedication, paying attention to minute details skills. But with great colleagues and super freindly work culture the job was much enjoyable.

4.3