British High Commission Employee Reviews

Opinion
At present working as Regional Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bhubaneshwar, Orissa24 October 2016
I have always headed chapter offices. So I like taking risk and address all the activities of a said office. Co-workers have really helped me to work as team.

I like working for limited hours with all dedication and efficiency My present organisation is an excellent place to work., but my only criteria is to stay in Bhubaneswar.

I am well connected with bureaucrats and politicians of the state. I established myself to be name to reckon with in Odisha
Mixed experience
Trade and Investment Officer (Former Employee) –  Dhaka5 August 2016
I had completely opposite experience while working under two different bosses at the same job. It depends a lot on your manager than the organization.

My first manager was bold, confident and had the ability to think out of the box. He never let people play office politics. I learned a lot from him.

Since my first manager's tenure was over (diplomats come for only few years), there was a transition and I had completely opposite experience with the new one. She was nervous, process-oriented and was very quick to judge. She works best with people pleasers and under her tenure, there was lot of office politics. I knew MS Excel better than her and she was not comfortable with that.
Pros
Challenging, nice club in the embassy premises
Cons
Politics by local staff
Excellent place to work. Diverse cultures
Data Entry Officer (Former Employee) –  New Delhi, Delhi15 June 2016
As a young person I was very eager to learn the work and as a result I was trained quickly. Soon after my training I gained confidence so much so that I was tasked with training others which I very much enjoyed. The amount of data that needed transferring to the database kept me busy throughout the day.

I learnt to be accurate and developed an eye for details. On one occasion I was commended by the Management for rectifying a major flaw in the process. The Management was very supportive of my endeavours.

My colleagues having identified that I was totally new to the country supported me in every way. My father was a British Diplomat and was posted to New Delhi/India and I was with him as his dependent.
professional and reputable to work.
Vice Consul (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Freetown6 June 2016
checked my outlook to see the tasks outlined for the day. meetings with the team to plan for the week. looked after the interest of british nationals leaving in Sierra Leone. Hardest part was during the Ebola epidemic and the most enjoyable was helping people out.
Great learning place
Visa Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Delhi, Delhi28 April 2016
Great place to learn all kinds of work. Provided alot of variety in work ranging from handling kids to Admin. Good management and co-workers nice to work with.
Pros
Parties
Cons
work on short notices
Administration Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Malawi27 April 2016
Committed work place with several worth while trainings.
Several opportunities
Fun staff able to communicate through several ways (laughter)
Pros
Free gym, free club services, flexible working hours
Cons
unprofessional staff
job satisfaction
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Abuja ( locally engaged)8 December 2015
construction management is ideal for me as i have a general interest in building and design ,working as a team player, making desitions on the spot, practical experience is one of the best ways to glean the technical know-how
Pros
meet and deal with all walks of life
Cons
long hours / not much flexibility
Very good work Culture
GREAT Campaign Manager, UK Trade & Investment (Former Employee) –  New Delhi, DL7 December 2015
Excellent international exposure .
Productive and Fun workplace.
Would like to work with them again, if at all I get a chance to work with them.
A serious workplace with lots of things to do which matter to a country's economy.
Trade and Investment Advisor- Life Sciences (Former Employee) –  Hyderabad, India2 November 2015
I loved this job as it gave me a very challenging assignment that I had never done before. Influence a country's economy and enhance government relations between the two countries. This role gave me full ownership of a region and helped me gain more experience in prioritization and time management.
Pros
Good number of holidays/leaves
Cons
Not enough compensation for the kind of work we are expected to do
Nice balanced Work environment with multinational colleges
Deputy Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Dhaka, Bangladesh26 October 2015
Nice balanced Work environment with multinational colleges.
Love to work with diverse college. working in a Foreign mission helps to get a chance to meet the world.
Productive and fun workplace
Internship (Former Employee) –  Trafalgar Road10 July 2015
its was a very productive organisation, fully organised and focused. The employees were warm and welcoming thus as a intern i felt welcomed as if i was a member.
Pros
transport allowance
Cons
short breaks
productive but can be stressful
Visa Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Delhi4 July 2015
fun work place but management doesn't back you. management doesn't apply useful scientific management techniques to handle day to day problems in business process. no scope of personal or professional development. high amount of red tape and poltics
Pros
swimming pool, gym, tennis court, BAR
Productive, challenging, interesting and great team working
Entry Clearance Officer (Former Employee) –  Accra - Visa Section27 June 2015
My day began with work allocated in baskets to be completed for the day. I learnt the importance of prioritizing one's workload and also managing time effectively. Managers were available at all times operating an open door policy which made it easy to consult with them on relevant cases.

I worked in a team of 10 that shared information and experiences which enabled consistent workflow and output. The hardest part of the job was unreliable internet that could sometimes slow systems down and cause delays in achieving targets and also getting work done.

The most enjoyable part was being part of a team that made a difference.
Pros
Convenient work times, work and life balance, warm work environment
Cons
Limited scope to make major changes
Diplomat ofrganisation with Corporate environment and diverse cultures
Team leader correspondence (Former Employee) –  New Delhi, DL4 June 2015
-Managing teams and reviewing benchmarks as per tat commitments
-manage operations and peoples management
-supporting and helpful co-workers.
-difficult benchmarks and change in policies quite often
-work life balance - good hours and flexible working environment
Pros
good fexible hours
Cons
not excellent compensations
Great place and experinece to work with Diplomatic Mission
New Delhi as Visa Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Delhi, DL23 April 2015
I learned great communication skills. Importance of maintaining accurate, relliable and accessible data. Having no scope of making mistake improved my sincerity, dedication, paying attention to minute details skills. But with great colleagues and super freindly work culture the job was much enjoyable.
Most Desired Place to work
Trade and Investment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Colombo Sri Lanka13 February 2015
International Exposure
Learnt Trade and Investment
Gained international relationship
Gained VVIP Contacts
Learnt Event Management
Expert in Communicating
Improve English language skills
Pros
Lovely Environment
Cons
Short Term Contract
Excellent
Trade and Investment Adviser (Former Employee) –  New Delhi, DL20 November 2014
Its a excellent organization to work for. A lot of scope and challenge along with the chance to be with movers and shakers. Would love to work for them again.
Requirement to process up to 35 applicants for British Passports
Passport Examiner (Former Employee) –  British High Commission Wellington New Zealand1 August 2014
Prioritizing applications in order of Urgency and priority. Ensuring all applications were processed and any that were pended were followed up by email or phone call.

Mixing with a range of Cultures ensuring teamwork and work was completed accurately and in a timely manner.

Hardest part was following up on First time applications from Countries such as Uganda, and Procterates. Having to consult Nationality act from 1948 to see if they qualified for a British Passport.
Pros
Good Renumeration and advancement
Cons
Sometimes extra hours worked to ensure continuity
Good Brand
Pre-Posting Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  new delhi29 July 2014
I have bettered my programme management, administration and budgeting skills.

I have learnt a lot of how high level visits are planned and carried out.

I am quite happy with my Line Manager since I have the autonomy to conduct the programme independently.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
low salary and less growth opportunities
Good place to work with a relaxed and conducive working environment.
Entry Clearance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Abuja19 May 2014
Work is target based. Fantastic colleagues, fair management.
Pros
Flexible working system.

4.3