British High Commission Employee Reviews

Mixed experience
Trade and Investment Officer (Former Employee) –  DhakaAugust 5, 2016
I had completely opposite experience while working under two different bosses at the same job. It depends a lot on your manager than the organization.

My first manager was bold, confident and had the ability to think out of the box. He never let people play office politics. I learned a lot from him.

Since my first manager's tenure was over (diplomats come for only few years), there was a transition and I had completely opposite experience with the new one. She was nervous, process-oriented and was very quick to judge. She works best with people pleasers and under her tenure, there was lot of office politics. I knew MS Excel better than her and she was not comfortable with that.
Pros
Challenging, nice club in the embassy premises
Cons
Politics by local staff
professional and reputable to work.
Vice Consul (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  FreetownJune 6, 2016
checked my outlook to see the tasks outlined for the day. meetings with the team to plan for the week. looked after the interest of british nationals leaving in Sierra Leone. Hardest part was during the Ebola epidemic and the most enjoyable was helping people out.
Administration Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  MalawiApril 27, 2016
Committed work place with several worth while trainings.
Several opportunities
Fun staff able to communicate through several ways (laughter)
Pros
Free gym, free club services, flexible working hours
Cons
unprofessional staff
Great learning place
Visa Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Delhi, DelhiApril 28, 2016
Great place to learn all kinds of work. Provided alot of variety in work ranging from handling kids to Admin. Good management and co-workers nice to work with.
Pros
Parties
Cons
work on short notices
A serious workplace with lots of things to do which matter to a country's economy.
Trade and Investment Advisor- Life Sciences (Former Employee) –  Hyderabad, IndiaNovember 2, 2015
I loved this job as it gave me a very challenging assignment that I had never done before. Influence a country's economy and enhance government relations between the two countries. This role gave me full ownership of a region and helped me gain more experience in prioritization and time management.
Pros
Good number of holidays/leaves
Cons
Not enough compensation for the kind of work we are expected to do
job satisfaction
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Abuja ( locally engaged)December 8, 2015
construction management is ideal for me as i have a general interest in building and design ,working as a team player, making desitions on the spot, practical experience is one of the best ways to glean the technical know-how
Pros
meet and deal with all walks of life
Cons
long hours / not much flexibility
Very good work Culture
GREAT Campaign Manager, UK Trade & Investment (Former Employee) –  New Delhi, DLDecember 7, 2015
Excellent international exposure .
Productive and Fun workplace.
Would like to work with them again, if at all I get a chance to work with them.
Nice balanced Work environment with multinational colleges
Deputy Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Dhaka, BangladeshOctober 26, 2015
Nice balanced Work environment with multinational colleges.
Love to work with diverse college. working in a Foreign mission helps to get a chance to meet the world.
Productive, challenging, interesting and great team working
Entry Clearance Officer (Former Employee) –  Accra - Visa SectionJune 27, 2015
My day began with work allocated in baskets to be completed for the day. I learnt the importance of prioritizing one's workload and also managing time effectively. Managers were available at all times operating an open door policy which made it easy to consult with them on relevant cases.

I worked in a team of 10 that shared information and experiences which enabled consistent workflow and output. The hardest part of the job was unreliable internet that could sometimes slow systems down and cause delays in achieving targets and also getting work done.

The most enjoyable part was being part of a team that made a difference.
Pros
Convenient work times, work and life balance, warm work environment
Cons
Limited scope to make major changes
Diplomat ofrganisation with Corporate environment and diverse cultures
Team leader correspondence (Former Employee) –  New Delhi, DLJune 4, 2015
-Managing teams and reviewing benchmarks as per tat commitments
-manage operations and peoples management
-supporting and helpful co-workers.
-difficult benchmarks and change in policies quite often
-work life balance - good hours and flexible working environment
Pros
good fexible hours
Cons
not excellent compensations
productive but can be stressful
Visa Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  New DelhiJuly 4, 2015
fun work place but management doesn't back you. management doesn't apply useful scientific management techniques to handle day to day problems in business process. no scope of personal or professional development. high amount of red tape and poltics
Pros
swimming pool, gym, tennis court, BAR
Great place and experinece to work with Diplomatic Mission
New Delhi as Visa Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Delhi, DLApril 23, 2015
I learned great communication skills. Importance of maintaining accurate, relliable and accessible data. Having no scope of making mistake improved my sincerity, dedication, paying attention to minute details skills. But with great colleagues and super freindly work culture the job was much enjoyable.
Productive and fun workplace
Internship (Former Employee) –  Trafalgar RoadJuly 10, 2015
its was a very productive organisation, fully organised and focused. The employees were warm and welcoming thus as a intern i felt welcomed as if i was a member.
Pros
transport allowance
Cons
short breaks
Requirement to process up to 35 applicants for British Passports
Passport Examiner (Former Employee) –  British High Commission Wellington New ZealandAugust 1, 2014
Prioritizing applications in order of Urgency and priority. Ensuring all applications were processed and any that were pended were followed up by email or phone call.

Mixing with a range of Cultures ensuring teamwork and work was completed accurately and in a timely manner.

Hardest part was following up on First time applications from Countries such as Uganda, and Procterates. Having to consult Nationality act from 1948 to see if they qualified for a British Passport.
Pros
good renumeration and advancement
Cons
sometimes extra hours worked to ensure continuity
Working wih British High Commission, Islamabad
Plant/Boiler Engineer (Current Employee) –  Islamabad, PISJanuary 11, 2014
1- Take shift charge with follow ups, take detaile round of plant room and other related areas like generator room, softener, AHU site, water and diesel oil storage tanks, HT and LT panel room, cooling towers and chemical storage room.
2- Got more sufficient practical knowledge of HVAC, boiler operation, water analysis and elecrical power management to perform day to day resposibilities in efficient manners.
3-Managment appreciates efforts made by staff to enhance performance.
4-I have an examplery relation with my co-workers and we are doing as one team.
5-Now there is nothing as hard part of job.
6- I enjoy every part of the job while doing it.
Entry Clearance Assistant, Team Leader
Entry Clearance Assistant, Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Nairobi, KenyaAugust 2, 2013
• General Office management, management of entry clearance assistants, backup to the office manager.
• Team leader; manage 5 locally engaged entry clearance assistants. Administer leave, sickness, training and line management within team.
• Oversee workflow of the visa section and ensure targets are met.
• Prepare office statistics monthly and annually. Perform independent investigations of applicants, such as credit or background checks
• Data entry of applications, customer service and printing visa’s with relevant security clearance.
Pleasant place to work
Passport Officer / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pretoria HatfieldMay 24, 2012
After arriving for work there is a general "meeting" where everyone gets to greet each other whereupon the day begins. A day allows two teatimes and a lunch of 45 minutes. A typical work week is only 36 hours as fridays will see you leave at 13h00 already! Every person treats the other with respect and some management staff is so down to earth you won't guess them to be management.

The hardest part of the job is the sometimes monotonous nature as it is quite repetative.

Most enjoyable is the fact that it is probably the place where you as employee will be treated the best in the country.
Pros
benefits and short hours
Cons
other sa employees
Most Desired Place to work
Trade and Investment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Colombo Sri LankaFebruary 13, 2015
International Exposure
Learnt Trade and Investment
Gained international relationship
Gained VVIP Contacts
Learnt Event Management
Expert in Communicating
Improve English language skills
Pros
lovely environment
Cons
short term contract
Good Brand
Pre-Posting Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  new delhiJuly 29, 2014
I have bettered my programme management, administration and budgeting skills.

I have learnt a lot of how high level visits are planned and carried out.

I am quite happy with my Line Manager since I have the autonomy to conduct the programme independently.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
low salary and less growth opportunities
My Review Summary
Entry Clearance Examiner (Former Employee) –  At the Time Canberra AirportApril 12, 2013
My day would consist of examing visa applications using my demonstated knowledge of British Immigration Rules. Ensuring all supporting documentation was submitted and showing an applicant qualifies under the visa category they applied for. My relationship with co-workers was strong discussions often using each others .experience supporting each other in times of sickness or absence. Every application was different and sometimes an unusal one would turn up which may need further research to ensure an applicant falls within the category. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the faces of applicants when there visa has been issued.
Pros
customer service discussing visa options for applicants using british immigration knowledge
Cons
office location office located at canberra airport quit icolated

4.2