British Columbia Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

Good Benefits , Boring Life
IT Helpdesk Analyst (Current Employee) –  burnaby , BC7 February 2018
If you want your stereotypical stale office job with good benefits and job security , BCIT is the place for you . BCIT is government funded which means slow work pace , if you're someone who likes being busy and always having something to do , avoid this place
Pros
relaxed, paid breaks
Cons
boring, stale culture
Leisure job
Civil Design Technologist (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC25 July 2017
Great atmosphere to work, with an open office concept. Management are courteous and friendly, the organization values family and team bonding. You are in charge of your own success.
Pros
Free time
Cons
Not much action
good environment
STUDENT LIFE AMBASSADOR (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 July 2017
great people to work with
very good direction from supervisor
funny place to work
flexibility in shifts
provide a balance between personal, professional and academic life
Pros
flexiblity
Cons
low wage
Bureaucratic
PROG COORD - BCIT OP Mgt Part Time Studies (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC7 July 2017
Great job on paper and for the first few years, it was. Like running a small business but impossible to share in the upside. Creating and marketing product for industry market. Unfortunately, the bureaucratic pain one must experience to make change was unbearable. Great instructors to manage. Dedicated and loved what they do.
Pros
Lots of vacation
Cons
Bureaucratic
BCIT Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC1 June 2017
Two-hour shift with maximum of six hours per week
Meeting a lot of students
Good learning environment and very kind supervisor
The hardest part is to memorize and explaining stuff that you have learn to other students effectively
Pros
Nice supervisor, friendly colledges
Cons
Limited working hours per week
Intense
Instructor Automation & Instrumentation (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC13 May 2017
Great place, never dull, but will suck you dry! Was great for the first fifteen years. After that, it was not so much fun. Imagine having your skill-set become obsolete every 5 to 8 years. Oh, try and keep up with Microsoft: started out with Version 1.0. What a waste of effort.
A good place to work and with interesting people.
Director of Project Services (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC10 May 2017
Working at BCIT is both demanding and engaging. I would say that the type of work and the variety of work makes it an attractive place to work. You get to work with a lot of people who are expert matter professionals in their field or with research people, who have interesting projects.
Professional coworkers
Internship at International Student Entry Program (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 April 2017
Working at BCIT was a good experience for me because I could learn from highly professional coworkers. They are very helpful and cooperative in many ways.
School
Student Project (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC22 March 2017
I am working on a year-long project that involves baseline inventories of fish, mammals and vegetation. It is a very rewarding job where there are long days in cold and rain but I know in the end it brings about valuable information. Being a big group, it is sometimes hard to coordinate times to go out and collect data.
Set Rep
Set Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 March 2017
My position was as Set Representative, basically a class president in my cohort. Was able to closely work with the faculty members when it came to enacting new programs and initiatives.

Work is fairly minimal as you are only required to attend one meeting per month, max 5 hours. (Wasn't paid as it is a volunteer position) but highly recommend.
Working as part of a team
Instructor (Current Employee) –  DTC8 March 2017
Some of the best teaching experiences I've had over the past years have been as part of teams that I have worked with; together, we have been able to consider and work toward the welfare of our students. This is particularly rich when we work with the same students over a longer time period because then we know how students will adapt to each new challenge of higher levels. It is, after all, our goal to produce excellent students.
Cleaner
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 March 2017
Punched in
Got keys
Went to area of British Columbia Institute of Technology
Dusted
Wiped desk, computers, chairs,etc.
Swept and mopped floors, washrooms, and cafeteria
safety & teamwork are the most important
Aircraft Maintenance Student (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC21 November 2016
Everyday we learn is safety.
On the Maintenance Job, we always check the certified book.
Our teamwork working very well.
We kept the working area clean.
Worthwhile student job to get more experience with networking.
Student Lab Proctor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC1 November 2016
A good job for students currently enrolled in the CST program at BCIT. It will provide tangible experience with networking and network administration using Linux, skills that are only touched upon in the classroom environment but are helpful in a professional environment.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Documentation Needs Improvement
Foundations of Electrical Student
Electrical Apprenticeship Student (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 July 2016
It was an outstanding opportunity to learn from a dedicated and knowledgable instructor. The shop time afforded me hands on learning in which we wired a condo from blueprint to inspection. following CEC standards and energizing the panel board service.
Pros
Incredible instructor
Cons
Not enough shop time
Friendly atmosphere
Tool Crib Attendant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC24 May 2016
Like a small community of like-minded people involved in the pursuit of providing maximum service to our number one clients--students.
Pros
7 hour days and payday every other friday
mechanicle engineering 196 3 year diploma program
Student (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC17 May 2016
Mechanical engineering learning thermodynamics in small and large engines and engineering quality. I loved it awesome program staff was great.
Pros
meeting people
Cons
cost
Great place, great people
INSTRUCTOR Food and Beverage (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 May 2016
Loved to work there..was temporary in Winter, hoping to get another gig soon. Was an awesome experience to work there. Everyone is helpful and the team feel is highly developed.
Pros
People, staff, students
Extensive discrimination
Instructor - Aircraft Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC11 April 2016
Would not go back there or recommend to others. Very poor and inexperienced management. The most enjoyable part of the job was imparting my extensive knowledge to the students.
Friendly workplace.
Student bike patroller (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC31 January 2016
Good opportunity to obtain work experience and help people while making sure the campus was safe. All the co-workers were helpful and friendly people.