British American Tobacco

British American Tobacco Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Challenging and very productive place to work, great team spirit
Head of Procurement (Current Employee), West AfricaFebruary 12, 2014
I have had great opportunities and experiences at this company.
Being strategic and proactive has been very rewarding.
Most enjoyable part of my job is managing and develoing people to take on higher roles and responsibilities
Life at BAT
End Market Operations Manager (Asia Pacific) (Current Employee), Kuala Lumpur, M14January 21, 2015
I am the Global Service Desk End Market Operations Manager for Asia Pacific and my remit is to ensure the quality of the delivery of service from the Fujitsu Service Desk to BAT End Markets in Asia Pacific. My role also includes responsibility for running the Major Incident Management process within Zone 3 but also globally if required.
The service is managed through a monthly Service Review structure with the markets and Fujitsu but I also act as an escalation point for the markets for high priority issues into the Fujitsu desk but also for Fujitsu back to the markets.
An important part of the job is the landing of projects from all parts of BAT at the service desk. These could be incredibly small projects to massive projects like Tao.

What’s a typical day like for you in BAT? A typical day for me in BAT involves managing any escalations that may have come to the Global Incident and Crisis Management team and contacting the desk and the service line owners to help see any incidents or requests through to fruition. I could also have a Service Review with an end market which requires a great deal of preparation in terms of analyzing reports for the Fujitsu KPIs, reviewing the IMF results along with the actual review and follow up. Thankfully a typical day doesn’t involve a MI but we must continuously scan the large amount of P1 and P2 alerts we receive from the desk on email for anything that has the potential to be a major incident.
What’s the best thing about your job? Difference ! Nothing is ever the same. Being at the front end of incident management in BAT means that you – more... come across lots of different issues and challenges every day and given the nature of the incident management means that most of these incidents need to managed quickly. BAT generates 64,000 incidents and requests every month. A very small proportion of these need assistance through the IM process but when they do I’m there to make it happen.
It’s a similar feeling exists but on a bigger scale with Managing Major Incidents. These are incidents that have a real impact on BATs business and there’s a sick pleasure in seeing these MIs through to resolution.
What’s the most challenging thing about your job? Difference ! Nothing is ever the same. For exactly the same reasons that I regard as the best things about my job managing incidents and delivery of service can be incredibly challenging at times. There is no room for error and I describe it as like being on live Television. On average as a team we could see up to 200 emails in 24 hours many of them escalations from markets.
What’s your proudest moment so far in BAT? The recognition I received from some very senior stakeholders for my part in landing the Tao roll outs in ASPAC but also being part of the I&C Team which won the best team award in year 2012.

About BAT:

What’s the best thing about BAT? It has always been the people. Very rarely in BAT do you meet somebody who is not a nice person and such people in general they don’t tend to last. The quality of the people is always high and theres always a sense that everybody wants to well for the company.
What’s your proudest achievement in BAT? TaO rollout in Aspac which was a huge sucess
What’s on your to-do list for this year? Drive the First Call Resolution % to a point that means that when somebody in BAT contacts the Global Service Desk, 7 out of 10 times the desk will fix their issue first time. At the start of the year this was only 20% and it’s a big challenge this year for me.
I also have to ensure the landing of the new Major Incident alerts system in ASPAC along with finishing the TaO roll outs that are left for my region. – less
Excellent place to work and learn
Business Release Manager (ASPAC), SAP BI (Current Employee), Kuala Lumpur, MalaysiaJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: flexible timing
Cons: sometimes required to be on call during weekends or holidays
I am entrusted to manage a lot of technical activities and this provides me with an excellent opportunity to continuously upgrade my knowledge.

In terms of Management style, it is indeed based on trust and confidence and micro-management is hardly practiced. This makes my work environment stress free and enjoyable and at the same time I am aware of my roles and responsibilities at all times and I do a lot of self-management.

This gives me an opportunity to think out of the box and excel in what I do because I am allowed the freedom of making key decisions and this does not inhibit my creative or thougt process.
Good employer with great working culture
Head of Sales Force (Current Employee), Lausanne, VDJanuary 10, 2015
A challenging working environment, truely cross-functional developments are possible.
it is good company to work for
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Johannesburg, GPJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: its a nice company to work for, nice environment
Cons: yes we work long hours, but you dont feel it
• Managing key accounts
• Customer order management process (incl. order taking, managing customer credit limit and stock quantity limitations, double orders, future dated orders and special orders)
• Customer delivery management process (incl. managing customer product returns, managing issues with delivery process with DHL.
• Full responsibility of the customer invoice, payment and debt management where applicable during prompt or top up sales scenario with cash sales.
• Full responsibility for the following aspects within the customer business development process (customer relationship management, new brand introductions, model stock management and brand story communication activities
A challenging but fun place to work
Senior Quality Officer (Current Employee), Madang, Papua New GuineaJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: job trainnings
Cons: more overtime
The hardest part of working here at BAT PNG operations is dealing with people with low levels of eduaction, however at the end of the day after accomplishing a goal or completing a task the satisfaction itself is rewarding.
I have learned alot especilly from my line manager, who is both a very good leader and a good manager. I respect my co-workers ideas and very happy to work with my team, the Qulaity Department.
British American Tobacco
PA to Head of Corporate and Regulatory Affairs (Former Employee), Auckland, NDecember 29, 2014
Pros: great bonuses
Cons: the tobacco industry is a very challenging industry to work in.
As a PA and then Regulatory Affairs Co-ordinator the job was extremely satisfying and rewarding. Apart from the usual Personal Assistant duties I was fortunate to be able to manage and run events both for the office and outside for the environment and the community which was a great part of my job.
Great Place to work
Intern Engineer (Former Employee), Samsun, T55December 5, 2014
As a one experienced that work environment and an excellent human relations in some tobacco companies, it has no doubt that they (BAT) are confirming their motto, ‘Great place to work’, by prioritising the prosperity of its own employee and considering the feedbacks coming from the working personnel.
Fun filled environment - concentrated on development
T M and Distribution Retail Relationship Manager (Former Employee), Cape Town, WCNovember 28, 2014
Pros: understanding different route to market strategies.
Cons: new route to market exposed us to being robbed.
Typical day:

- Morning brief of trade marketing reps
- Analysing previous day's retail coverage
- Analyse SKU distribution and sales
- Do field visit to check planogram implementation
- Ensure previous day's orders are delivered in full

Learnings:

- People management
- Retailer engagement
- Route planning
- Performance management, coaching and mentoring
- Direct selling
- Trade marketing principles - optimizing all touch points in-store

Hardest Part of the job:

- Changing Route To Market strategy

Most enjoyable part of the job:

- Working with reps infield.
Goal oriented driven
Senior Finance Officer (Former Employee), Tirana, AlbaniaNovember 19, 2014
Pros: free lunches, a lot of business dinners. pension and health plan
Cons: lead to complacency
The most important part of this job was to meet the deadlines set for reporting. Each month I had to report monthly financial statements of the company in Hyperion (reporting software). It took efforts to push and motivate my team not to procrastinate the work. The goal for us all was to be punctual and meet every reporting deadline.
Friendly and competitive environment
TERRITORY SALES MANAGER (Former Employee), RSA PretoriaNovember 16, 2014
All employees respected and listened to for contribution within operations.
Industrialized approach used in SAP Implementation
Global Deployment Manager (Current Employee), LondonNovember 14, 2014
Fast Paced worldwide Implementation of SAP across 200 markets. Keeping close watch on milestones and yet to miss a major milestones.
Create culture and passion in emloyees
Area Manager East/North (Former Employee), SuvaOctober 23, 2014
Pros: the culture of when you achieve you get in return
Cons: had health care and mostly breaks
Working with different department as per my profile which some times goes into a battle but it think out side the box and been creative as my colleague called me MR Passion.The hardest part of the work was to be and seen as which side you take but i always kept my opinion open and went or work for better and benefit of organization with all others. This where mi was rewarded as for enterprise skills.My co workers still keep contact with me as they knew i give first priority to my work and had passion what i do.I enjoy my work when i achieve the set results and also create the environment that other can enjoy
Friendly and respectful work environment
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), BudaorsOctober 16, 2014
On a daily basis I liaised with my Directors regarding diary management/appointments/travels/meetings internally and externally, supported both Directors' direct reports, screening post and incoming calls.
pool table/ boss was down to earth
Trade Marketing Sales Representative (Former Employee), SamoaOctober 14, 2014
Pros: free lunch, heaps of overtime, always rewarded when we hit our end of month targets..
great company, I had just finish high school and was looking for part time work I got a full time and stayed with BAT for 3yrs until my family had to migrate to another country.. great benefits, training provided for employees to me this was a big bonus because I needed as much training as possible, the company invests a lot in their employees, as I was fresh out of school with no experience. I just wish I had never left..
It was a good work place with a lot to learn but still lacking in some places
Internee (Former Employee), Nowshera, PNWOctober 11, 2014
Pros: free lunches, vans for pick and drop and etc
Cons: good stipend
1. The Managment was very good.
2. The people were friendly.
3. It was a competitve environment
4. But there was a certain hypocrisy about everyone workinng over there because they wanted to take you down.
5. No hands on job for a mechanical engineer.
6. I learned in a best way how to lead a team.
7. I loved the part that i am a part of a multinational company and i am contributing to its grandeur.
productive and effective communication are vital factors
Technical Support (Former Employee), TehrānOctober 7, 2014
Pros: free lunch; free service vehicle
Cons: healthcare; short breaks quarterly per year; health insurance;
>day to day work not pressured;
>patience;
>system of managing is good;
>co-workers behaviors excellent;
>the hardest part of the job not experienced;
>the most enjoyable part of the job is attaining production target;
Excellent company to work for
Global Talent Manager (Former Employee), Head office, LondonSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: not like any other company
Cons: culture changing due to the nature of the business
Started in BAT in non-management and progressed to a management role within 3 years. Learned how to manage a busy and diverse workload - no 2 days were the same! Great people, culture and an environment where you were given the responsibility and trust to do your job.
right location is a great issue
Trade marketer representative (FMCG) (Former Employee), BeirutSeptember 21, 2014
i have joined British American tobacco from 2010 till 2013 as a trade marketer representative in lebanon and was a great experience that gained from this kind of work which is dealing with market by your self and can manage how people think and what are their needs in order to come up with the right idea that fits and keeps your customers loyalty. the management is perfect and i did not face and hard issues in this type of work because i used to adore my work but i left the company because they have some weaknesses concerning salaries since the lebanese market is some how week and that reflects on the employees. the most enjoyable thing at this kind of work that you learn alot and you gain a lot of rich things how market is going on and what is the right plan to do and go for.
Fast paced and progressive
Quality manager (Current Employee), Heidelberg, GPSeptember 1, 2014
Pros: diverse culture
Cons: outside of central gauteng
Excellent development and training.

I have developed skills in various functions

High pressure and fast paced

Excellent training and development