1 Permanent Part-Time, 30 hours/week
Opportunity # EH-IN-06/2013
Make a difference in the life of a child
Come join an energetic and fun team that is committed to providing deserving children and youth with hope for the future. The Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary provide a supportive environment in which to share your experience, develop your skills, and take on new challenges.
If you are passionate about making a difference in the lives of children, youth and families the Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary is the place for you!
Reporting to the Program Coordinator, the Youth Worker will ensure that the program and services provided are relevant to the needs of the residents and that all residential components are effectively integrated with other BGCCS programs and are consistent with the mission, values, vision and business plan of the agency. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Encourage and assist child/youth to develop skills needed to attain higher levels of functioning by helping them to set and achieve their goals
- Implements routines and activities to provide a safe and secure milieu which fosters family preservation and development opportunities
- Assists residents in finding individual/group counseling and support in the community when needed
- Provides support specific to substance abuse, healthy relationships and sexual exploitation
- Assists children/youth in developing problem solving, conflict resolution and communication skills
- Responsible for the case management of residents, ensuring all basic needs and programming expectations are being fulfilled while fostering personal growth and development
- Assists youth with meal planning, shopping, and meal preparation as well as ensuring the youth develop and maintain healthy eating habits
- Assist residents in learning household management skills, such as cleaning, laundry, shopping, budgeting and yard work
- Assists youth in job searching, enrolling in school and recreational activities, and/or finding an appropriate day program
- Co-facilitates weekly programs such as recreation, life skills and house meetings
- Assists youth with acquiring required identification, bank accounts, tax returns, etc
- Acts as a liaison between families, social workers, school representatives, doctors and other professionals involved with the child/youth
- Maintains and develops professional relationships with external agencies/groups such as community associations, schools, law enforcement and social service agencies
- Degree or Diploma in a human services field or a minimum of 2 years experience working with at risk youth
- Class 4 license within 3 months employment
- Cleared Drivers Abstract and Liability Insurance
- Standard First Aid and CPR Training
- Criminal Check with Vulnerable Sector Search and Child Welfare Intervention Check
We offer the opportunity to be part of a creative and positive work environment, a competitive salary, supports for professional development, opportunity for advancement and the chance to be part of a national organization dedicated to supporting youth to develop skills for life. We are a committed equity employer.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume by quoting the above opportunity number for consideration. No phone calls please, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Our mission is to provide a safe, supportive place where children and youth can experience new opportunities, overcome...