Youth Worker, Safe House
1 FT, 40 hours/week
Make a difference in the life of a child
Come join an energetic and fun team that is committed to providing deserving children and youth with hope for the future. The Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary provide a supportive environment in which to share your experience, develop your skills, and take on new challenges.
If you are passionate about making a difference in the lives of children, youth and families the Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary is the place for you!
Safe House is a transitional shelter facility that provides short term housing and basic needs for youth ages 15-19, who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.
Reporting to the Program Coordinator, the youth worker will work directly with youth and case management. This is a key position that provides support to youth in crisis or within the shelter as well as on an outreach basis. The Youth worker will ensure that the program and services provided are relevant to the needs of the clients and that all shelter components are effectively integrated with other BGCC programs and are consistent with the mission, values, vision, and business plan of the agency. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Implements routines and activities to provide a safe milieu that fosters resolution to the crisis the youth is experiencing
- Provides support to youth in the program and assists youth in developing and implementing a goal plan, including connecting youth with appropriate resources.
- Takes an active role in the training of new team members, including volunteers and practicum students, provides input on performance of part time and relief staff to the Coordinator
- Recognizes the importance of natural supports in each youth’s life and therefore ensures the inclusion of appropriate natural supports in case planning whenever possible
- Encourage and assist child/youth to develop skills needed to attain higher levels of functioning by helping them to set and achieve their goals
- Responsible for ensuring the case management of clients is being completed, ensuring all basic needs and programming expectations are being fulfilled while fostering personal growth and development
- Acts as a liaison and advocate as needed between families, social workers, school representatives, doctors and other professionals involved with the youth.
- Maintains and develops relationships with external agencies/groups such as community associations, schools, law enforcement and social service agencies as required
- Degree/diploma in Human Services or enrolled in such program as well as a minimum of 2 years of experience working with at-risk youth is essential
- Current First Aid/CPR certification
- Cleared Criminal Record Check with vulnerable sector search and Child Welfare Intervention Check
We offer the opportunity to be part of a creative and positive work environment, a competitive salary, supports for professional development, opportunity for advancement and the chance to be part of a national organization dedicated to supporting youth to develop skills for life. We are a committed equity employer.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume by quoting the above opportunity number for consideration. No phone calls please, only qualified candidates will be contacted.