1 FT, 37.5 hours/week
9 Month Term Position
Opportunity # BO-IN-07/2013
Make a difference in the life of a child
Come join an energetic and fun team that is committed to providing deserving children and youth with hope for the future. The Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary provide a supportive environment in which to share your experience, develop your skills, and take on new challenges.
If you are passionate about making a difference in the lives of children, youth and families the Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary is the place for you!
The Special Events Coordinator works under the direction of the Sr. Director, Business Operations and the Manger, Fund Development and is responsible for the planning, development and successful implementation of two key events: our annual signature event the Heroes & Legends Gala, as well as the first annual 2012 National BGC “Race for Kids” event for the Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary. In addition, the Special Events Coordinator will work closely with the Fund Development Coordinator to support all third party events. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assists in developing new events, maintains, organizes and manages existing Agency fundraisers and special events from concept to completion, ensuring they operate smoothly, efficiently, and generate maximum revenue and exposure
- Under the leadership of the Manager of Fund Development, coordinates the Agency’s two main events which involves decision making input on external resources, managing event processes, coordinating meetings, preparing, monitoring and distributing event budgets
- Works closely with National Office to understand the requirements and tools available for implementing a successful Race for Kids event
- Secure various leveled sponsorships and funding for the event
- Identify, negotiate and manage significant strategic partnerships, alliances, and relationships that support the organization’s current and emerging directions
- Create and administer service agreements with outside companies and vendors for completion of the project
- Responsible for all communications and networking in support of special events, and assists with development of new opportunities to build community awareness;
- Build strong working relationships both inside and outside the organization, enlisting their support to ensure ongoing success for the annual event
- In collaboration with the volunteer coordinator, recruit a steering committee of volunteers to support the development of the Race for Kids and Heroes & Legends events;
- In collaboration with the volunteer coordinator, recruit a steering committee of volunteers to support the development of the Race for Kids and Heroes & Legends events as well as Provide direction to volunteers at special events
- Enters donor information, event invitation and participant lists on appropriate technology in Raisers Edge database
- Coordinates guest lists, food service arrangements, menu planning, decorative and table set up, name tags and staffing
- Develops critical paths, production schedules and development of print materials for donor/sponsor/and participant’s solicitations
- Post-secondary education (Event Management/Public Relations/Marketing/ preferred)
- 3 to 5 years event management experience in a non-profit environment working with volunteers and volunteer committees
- A proven track record in raising funds from fundraising events
- Excellent organizational skills and initiative, Ability to build internal and external relationships
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or working experience with a fundraising database
- Demonstrate proficient skills with MS Office Suite
- Valid Alberta driver’s license and access to a vehicle, Ability to work occasional evening and/or weekend events
- Flexible and adaptive, able to multi-task and handle multiple priorities with tight deadlines
- Cleared Criminal Check and Child Welfare Intervention Check
We offer the opportunity to be part of a creative and positive work environment, a competitive salary, supports for professional development, opportunity for advancement and the chance to be part of a national organization dedicated to supporting youth to develop skills for life. We are a committed equity employer.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume by quoting the above opportunity number for consideration. No phone calls please, only qualified candidates will be contacted.