Ready Set Go! Pre-School Teacher Assistant
1 PT, Term 7.5 hours/week January-June 2013
Opportunity # RSG-IN-02/2012
Make a difference in the life of a child
Come join an energetic and fun team that is committed to providing deserving children and youth with hope for the future. The Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary provide a supportive environment in which to share your experience, develop your skills, and take on new challenges.
If you are passionate about making a difference in the lives of children, youth and families the Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary is the place for you!
Reporting to the Pre-School Teacher, the Pre-School Teacher’s Assistant will assist the teacher in providing the pre-school program for Ready, Set, Go! The program is play-based and flexible and designed to meet the wide range of developmental needs of participating children. In addition to participating in a center-based program, the Teacher’s Assistant will, with direction from the teacher, encourage and support parents in their attempts to provide a variety of learning experiences at home. Particular attention will be paid to early literacy issues in this program, with consideration of and sensitivity to the literacy levels of parents/caregivers. As well, a strong focus of the program is on facilitating an awareness and understanding of emotional literacy for both children and parents. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assisting the teacher in planning and providing a centre-based program which offers a variety of developmentally appropriate activities for pre-schoolers
- Assisting in the implementation of early literacy activities
- Modeling constructive behavior management techniques and positive parenting strategies
- Modeling good communication skills and healthy problem solving strategies
- Involving parents in the various aspects of the program as volunteers
- Suggesting developmentally appropriate activities for parent and child to participate in at home
- Being aware of Nursery School Regulations and Policies
- Working in partnership with other agencies whenever necessary
- Early Childhood Education Diploma or equivalent experience
- Certification as Child Development Worker is considered an asset
- Current standard First Aid and CPR
- Criminal Check with Vulnerable Sector Search and Child Welfare Intervention Check
We offer the opportunity to be part of a creative and positive work environment, a competitive salary, supports for professional development, opportunity for advancement and the chance to be part of a national organization dedicated to supporting youth to develop skills for life. We are a committed equity employer.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume by quoting the above opportunity number for consideration. No phone calls please, only qualified candidates will be contacted.