PT, varying hours/week
Opportunity # CC-IN-16/2013
Make a difference in the life of a child
Come join an energetic and fun team that is committed to providing deserving children and youth with hope for the future. The Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary provide a supportive environment in which to share your experience, develop your skills, and take on new challenges.
If you are passionate about making a difference in the lives of children, youth and families the Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary is the place for you!
The Program Leader is responsible for providing a positive and safe environment for the youth while in our Community Clubs. The Program Leader primary role is to provide support with club routine, develop and facilitate weekly physical, creative arts, educational, recreational and living skills programming to encourage self sufficiency. Delivery of high quality programming is fundamental in this role. As well, this position is key in role modeling positive healthy relationships and encourages and provides time for youth and families to interact while in the program. Together with the program team, they will ensure that the Community Club is offering programs, supports and opportunities that are reflective of the individual and community needs and are effectively integrated with other BGCC programs and are consistent with the mission, vision, values and strategic plan of BGCC. This position has varying hours during the week including evenings and weekends. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provides a safe and supportive environment for youth and their families and encourages them to express their feelings, needs and desires.
- Acknowledge and actively engage with the children/youth as appropriate and are available to children at all times during programming
- Must be creative and flexible when meeting the needs of the youth and families served
- Assists children/youth in developing and practicing problem solving, conflict resolution and communication skills that support relationships and life-long learning and success.
- Encourage children/youth to try new things on their own, and support them to initiate, plan and follow through on their activities
- Manages crisis situations effectively using problem solving and de-escalation skills
- Responsible for maintaining positive relationships with all Community Clubs as well as other community resources and supports that will benefit youth and families
- Responsible for maintaining positive relationships with schools, and supporting school-sponsored events
- Positive and effective collaboration with community partners
- A degree or diploma or currently enrolled, or have a minimum of 2 years experience working with children, youth and families
- Strong program planning, organizational and time management skills
- Interpersonal communication with children, youth and adults from diverse backgrounds and an understanding and awareness of diversity issues
- Basic knowledge of developmental needs of children and youth
- Good understanding and ability to appropriately apply behaviour management skills with individuals and in group settings
- Independent worker and strong team member
- Class 4 Drivers license with acceptable drivers abstract
- Current First Aid/CPR certification
- A criminal check with vulnerable sector search and intervention check prior to starting work and maintained.
- Child Care Staff Certification is an asset
We offer the opportunity to be part of a creative and positive work environment, a competitive salary, supports for professional development, opportunity for advancement and the chance to be part of a national organization dedicated to supporting youth to develop skills for life. We are a committed equity employer.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume by quoting the above opportunity number for consideration. No phone calls please, only qualified candidates will be contacted.