1 FT, 40 hours/week
Opportunity # FP-IN-01/2013
Make a difference in the life of a child
Come join an energetic and fun team that is committed to providing deserving children and youth with hope for the future. The Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary provide a supportive environment in which to share your experience, develop your skills, and take on new challenges.
If you are passionate about making a difference in the lives of children, youth and families the Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary is the place for you!
The Fusion Project will provide coaching, assessment, and advocacy to vulnerable youth (aged 15-24) and their supports to improve their transitions to adulthood. The Fusion Coordinator is responsible for providing support and supervision to the Fusion Team. As part of the learning process the coordinator will also carry a small caseload. This position works collaboratively with other agencies and community groups to assist youth in identifying, locating, creating and/or strengthening connections to family members and/or natural supports. The position will also assist the youth to acquire system navigation skills and locate appropriate community referrals to promote a positive and successful transition to adult self sufficiency.
The support offered to families/natural supports includes, but is not limited to, assistance in identification of strengths and needs, role modeling, teaching of problem solving and communication skills, assisting with management of crisis, providing information about individual and family development stages, identification of realistic expectations, and assistance with the understanding and management of conflicts. The Fusion Coordinator will also build relationships with other community resources and supports, as well as other agencies within the community. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Works effectively with other members of the team to meet the individual needs of all youth in the program as well as their families/natural supports
- Meets with the Manager of Prevention & Outreach and Clinical Consultant as required for supervision
- Adheres to agency best practice as outlined by the team when working with families
- Ensures the inclusion of appropriate supports in case planning
- Assists youth and their natural supports in developing problem solving, conflict resolution and communication skills
- Advocates for youth and their families to promote increased functioning
- Works collaboratively with other agency partners to provide case management to youth and their families/natural supports
- Ensures that all documentation is kept current, complete and professional. Conveys pertinent information regarding youth and their families to the team in a timely manner
- Assists families through relationship based case management, to identify their strengths, needs and goals
- Support families in the development and implementation of action plans to address goals
- Promotes parenting that fosters resiliency, responsibility and independence
- Encourage and assist family members to access informal and formal support resources as needed
- Provide information, articles, books, and other materials needed to assist families in learning more about parenting, adolescent development, and other applicable topics
- Document, implement and revise service plans, progress and discharge reports in cooperation with the family and other involved programs
- Seek out contacts and collaborative opportunities that will benefit the youth and the program
- Role model leadership, a strength-based approach and the spirit of collaboration when working with community contacts/agencies/services
- Promote community awareness and pride in the agency and Fusion program
- Uphold and elevate the strengths, resources and connectedness of youth, community and BGCC
- Build, develop, and maintain healthy, respectful relationships with external agencies/groups such as community associations, schools, law enforcement, and social service agencies
- Responsible for forming and maintaining a positive working relationship with BGCC’s residential programs, community clubs and other community resources
- Manage an on-call rotation in an organized and responsive manner
- Coordinate program spending in designated areas
- Provide recommendations to the Intervention Manager regarding staff salaries, program allotments and the yearly budget
- Bachelors or Masters in Human Services with extensive experience in working with high risk youth and/or families
- Minimum of five years experience in working directly with children, youth and families
- An understanding of the homeless sector in Calgary, Calgary’s 10 Year Plan to End Homelessness and Plan to End Youth Homelessness in Calgary
- Possess knowledge of Child and Family Services and the Family Enhancement Act
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of issues pertaining to family wellness, child and adolescent development, and at-risk youth
- Ability to adapt services and approach to the individual needs of families and youth
- Personal initiative and the ability to work independently while supporting and achieving the overall goals of the program and agency
- Proficient computer knowledge of Microsoft Office as well as excellent oral and written skills.
- Current registration with applicable professional body, if appropriate.
- Current First Aid and CPR
- Criminal Check with Vulnerable Search Sector and Child Welfare Intervention Check
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License with an acceptable Drivers Abstract
- Use of a reliable vehicle with proof of $1,000,000 liability coverage
We offer the opportunity to be part of a creative and positive work environment, a competitive salary, supports for professional development, opportunity for advancement and the chance to be part of a national organization dedicated to supporting youth to develop skills for life. We are a committed equity employer.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume by quoting the above opportunity number for consideration. No phone calls please, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Indeed - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard
Our mission is to provide a safe, supportive place where children and youth can experience new opportunities, overcome...