1 FT, 1 year term position with possibility of extension, 37.5 hours/week
Opportunity # RSG-IN-01/2013
Make a difference in the life of a child
Come join an energetic and fun team that is committed to providing deserving children and youth with hope for the future. The Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary provide a supportive environment in which to share your experience, develop your skills, and take on new challenges.
If you are passionate about making a difference in the lives of children, youth and families the Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary is the place for you!
The Family Worker will nurture positive parenting skills by providing parents of preschool and elementary aged children strategies, information and resource materials. This position is required to engage parents in the Parent Talk Program through a variety of activities and by coordinating workshops. The Family Worker will also connect parents with community agencies as needed therefore knowledge of resources and community services is critical. The Family Worker will be a resource to parents and staff and will demonstrate the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Enthusiasm, flexibility, initiative, empathy, respect and patience are all fundamental qualities needed for this position. The Family Worker must have a real understanding of working with families from a strengths-based model, and good knowledge of typical child development. Strong facilitation skills and an ability to engage parents in both group and individual settings are essential. Strict confidentiality regarding personal family information is crucial. Knowledge and experience working with immigrant populations and ESL is an asset. This role also encompasses a coordinator position responsible for the ongoing coordination of the Ready Set Go preschool and family program team. Experience in staff supervision, coordinating a program, monitoring outcomes, collecting statistics and report writing is an asset.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Co-facilitates workshops, coffee groups, and Parent Talk for the families of the children involved in the pre-school program and other programs where applicable. Plans topics to be covered, with input from the families and relevant agencies, program staff, and Program Manager, and prepares resource materials
- Models appropriate communication skills, constructive behavior management techniques, and healthy problem solving strategies for families
- Assists parents to connect appropriately with community resources. A solid working knowledge of community services is essential
- Forms relationships with local schools and agencies to raise awareness of the program and assist with referrals and transition to kindergarten
- Makes referrals and acts as a liaison with Child Welfare, Social Agencies and program consultants where required
- Handles registration and subsidy applications for Penbrooke and Bowness Ready Set Go preschool and family programs.
- Keeps clear records of family information, referrals and group attendance, provide monthly reports as directed by Program Manager including statistics on contract targets for clients served, groups served and program summaries.
- Provides case management to families including direct services to determine family strengths and needs
- Bachelor’s Degree in human services, BSW, or Masters Degree preferred
- A minimum five years experience working with families from a strength based and parent education perspective
- Some evening and weekend work may be required depending on program and family needs
- Must have strong clinical planning, organizing, problem-solving and leadership skills
- Must be able to work independently and effectively in a team environment
- Current Standard First Aid/Basic Rescuer CPR certificate
- A Criminal Record check and clear Child Welfare Intervention Check
We offer the opportunity to be part of a creative and positive work environment, a competitive salary, supports for professional development, opportunity for advancement and the chance to be part of a national organization dedicated to supporting youth to develop skills for life. We are a committed equity employer.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume by quoting the above opportunity number for consideration. No phone calls please, only qualified candidates will be contacted.