1 FT, 40 hours/week
Opportunity # HERA-IN-02/2013
Make a difference in the life of a child
Come join an energetic and fun team that is committed to providing deserving children and youth with hope for the future. The Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary provide a supportive environment in which to share your experience, develop your skills, and take on new challenges.
If you are passionate about making a difference in the lives of children, youth and families the Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary is the place for you!
Reporting to the Program Coordinator, the Experiential Learning Specialist is responsible for the implementation and delivery of the mentorship program and experiential learning activities for youth within the Hera program. This position will work closely and collaboratively with mentors, volunteers, and the community to achieve program outcomes that foster positive development for youth through meaningful experiential learning opportunities and positive relationships with mentors. The Experiential Learning Specialist will ensure that the program and services provided are relevant to the needs of the clients and that all program components are effectively integrated with other BGCC programs and are consistent with the mission, values, vision, and business plan of the agency. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Recruit volunteer mentors and classroom volunteers to facilitate a range of experiential learning activities
- Outline clear expectations/outcomes for assigned volunteers, mentors and staff
- Develop orientation and support plans to assist in meeting expectations and outcomes
- Facilitate the matching process between clients and mentors in community
- Coordinate an annual volunteer recognition event
- Develop recognition processes and activities for volunteers and mentors
- Develop weekly, monthly and yearly experiential learning activity outlines/plans
- Coordinate the participation of youth in approved life skills training, outdoor education, volunteer opportunities and social action activities
- Assist youth to identify their strengths, needs and goals and support them to achieve their personal goals
- Support youth to positively engage in education, become positive actors within the community, reduce high risk behaviors, increase positive behaviors, develop positive goals, and begin to see themselves as having the potential for future success
- Support youth with transitions into the Hera program and support their transition back to community schools
- Respond to program service inquiries, explaining the program and referral process
- Assist and support referrals, screening and intake interviewing of potential clients as needed
- Responsible for program planning and facilitation that is youth driven
- Plan and celebrate youth success in the program, including completion in the program
- Liaise with and maintain professional relationships with external agencies/ groups such as community associations, schools, law enforcement and social services agencies
- Diploma or Bachelors degree in a related human services or social services field
- Experience working with youth at-risk with an understanding of the multi-facet issues they face
- Class 4 Driver’s License within 3 months of employment
- Cleared Drivers Abstract and liability insurance
- Current Standard First Aid/ CPR certificate
- A Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search and Child Welfare Intervention Check
We offer the opportunity to be part of a creative and positive work environment, a competitive salary, supports for professional development, opportunity for advancement and the chance to be part of a national organization dedicated to supporting youth to develop skills for life. We are a committed equity employer.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume by quoting the above opportunity number for consideration. No phone calls please, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
For more than 100 years, Boys & Girls Clubs of America has enabled young people most in need to achieve great futures as productive, caring,...