1 FT, 40 hours/week
Opportunity # SC-IN-01/2014
Make a difference in the life of a child
Come join an energetic and fun team that is committed to providing deserving children and youth with hope for the future. The Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary provide a supportive environment in which to share your experience, develop your skills, and take on new challenges.
If you are passionate about making a difference in the lives of children, youth and families the Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary is the place for you!
Script is a youth-centered program that engages and supports youth in their stories as they journey towards adulthood and healthy, positive futures. This program is designed to support youth who are experiencing issues of homelessness or involved with street life, ages 13 - 20. Reporting to Program Coordinator of SCRIPT, the Community Support Worker position provides program coverage and is responsible for the primary care and safety of youth in the program. The Community Support Worker will ensure that the program and services provided are relevant to the needs of the clients and that all program components are effectively integrated with other BGCC programs and are consistent with the mission, values, vision, and business plan of the agency. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide individual coaching/support to youth who are or at-risk of, being sexually exploited and/or homeless and assist youth in developing and implementing a goal plan
- To support youth in advocating for supports and placements needed to effectively deal with their issues around homelessness and/or sexual exploitation
- Refer youth to appropriate internal and external resources
- Support and teach youth life skills to live successful in the community
- Assist youth in the community with resumes, job search skills and job retention
- Assist youth in gaining access to appropriate educational and vocational settings
- Provide referrals and support access to food, clothing, hygiene and other basic needs
- Assist and connect youth with basic first aid needs and make referrals to resources that can meet their health needs
- Provide outreach services to identify and support youth that are at-risk of being sexually exploited
- Assist children/youth in developing problem solving, conflict resolution and communication skills
- Provide 1 to 1 support in the community to access services to support youth’s transitions to a healthier lifestyle
- Make appropriate referrals for Arts, Recreation and Cultural activities that will help youth build self esteem and connect them with their community
- Provide educational presentations to communities on sexual exploitation, internet safety and homelessness
- Responsible for program planning and facilitation that is youth driven
- Acts as a liaison as needed between families, social workers, school representatives, doctors and other professionals involved with the youth
- Diploma or Bachelors degree in a related human services or social services field with three to five years recent related experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse communities and ability to create and foster strong relationships
- Excellent understanding of street youth and the multifaceted issues they face. Work and/or knowledge surrounding working with sexually exploited youth an asset.
- Knowledge of youth development frameworks, including strength-based, assets and resiliency models
- Experience, enthusiasm and flexibility in working with youth, young adults and communities
- Supportive team player as well as ability to work independently and be self-motivated
- Valid Class 4 Drivers license within 3 months of employment and acceptable Driver’s Abstract
- Use of a reliable vehicle with $1,000,000 liability insurance
- Current First Aid and CPR
- Criminal Record Check and Intervention Record Check
We offer the opportunity to be part of a creative and positive work environment, a competitive salary, supports for professional development, opportunity for advancement and the chance to be part of a national organization dedicated to supporting youth to develop skills for life. We are a committed equity employer.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume by quoting the above opportunity number for consideration. No phone calls please, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Indeed - 10 months ago
copy to clipboard
Our mission is to provide a safe, supportive place where children and youth can experience new opportunities, overcome...