1FT, 37.5 hours/week
Opportunity # FN-IN-02/2012
Make a difference in the life of a child
Come join an energetic and fun team that is committed to providing deserving children and youth with hope for the future. The Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary provide a supportive environment in which to share your experience, develop your skills, and take on new challenges.
If you are passionate about making a difference in the lives of children, youth and families the Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary is the place for you!
Reporting to the Manager of Finance, the Accounting Assistant is responsible for reviewing and processing invoices, employee mileage and expenses, and/or other cheque requests, as appropriate for BGCC. The Accounting Assistant generates bimonthly cheque runs and matches the cheques to the supporting documents, monitors and distributes PO and receipt books, vendor account discrepancies and procedural inquiries, balancing the accounts payable sub-ledger to the general ledger. This position also provides backup to the Payroll Administrator. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Receives and reviews purchase orders, cheque requests, and/or other related documentation for completeness and compliance with BGCC financial policies and procedures and other contractual requirements
- Matches original invoices and requests for payment with internal purchase orders or cheque requests; performs calculations to determine appropriate payment amounts and makes modifications as necessary
- Codes, verifies, and electronically enters accounts payable data into Great Plains software, sets up new vendors and voids payments as required
- Generates bimonthly cheque runs and matches cheques to supporting documents, distributes employee payments to internal mailboxes and prepares other payments for mailing and direct pickup
- Follows up on account statements and other discrepancies regarding payment of accounts, and serves as liaison between departments and vendors in the resolution of administrative problems and inquiries
- Responsible for tracking use of agency credit card and ensuring that all backup is attached to monthly bill
- A degree, diploma or certificate in Accounting with 3-4 years related experience
- Experience with Great Plains is considered an asset
- Skilled with data entry, word processing skills and Excel spreadsheets
- Ability to process computer data and to format and generate reports
- Ability to utilize an automated accounting system
- Ability to understand and interpret vendor invoices, statements, and other requests for payment
- Knowledge of purchase orders and related accounts payable documentation
- A Criminal Check with Vulnerable Sector Search and Child Welfare Intervention check
We offer the opportunity to be part of a creative and positive work environment, a competitive salary, supports for professional development, opportunity for advancement and the chance to be part of a national organization dedicated to supporting youth to develop skills for life. We are a committed equity employer.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume by quoting the above opportunity number for consideration. No phone calls please, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
For more than 100 years, Boys & Girls Clubs of America has enabled young people most in need to achieve great futures as productive, caring,...