Position: Child & Youth Care Worker
Posting number: NAN20130033
Location: Nanaimo, BC
Posting Date: May 24, 2013
Closing Date: June 7, 2013
The Boys and Girls Clubs of Central Vancouver Island are currently recruiting for a Child & Youth Care Worker for our Nanaimo Club – 5th Street location.
Reporting to the Coordinator of Child, Youth & Family Services the Child & Youth Care Worker provides emotional support and coaching services to adults, children, and /or youth. Services provided include behaviour stabilization, social skill training, connecting children and youth with community resources and parent education, either on a one-to-one basis or in a group environment. The position aids the participant in identifying, understanding, and overcoming personal/family problems, and in establishing and achieving realistic goals.
- Interviews participants, prepares case histories and background information. Assesses participant’s suitability to the program and makes referrals to other programs or agencies as required.
- Assists the case management team to identify participant needs, concerns and strengths. Provides input to the development of participant goals and objectives.
- Monitors participant’s progress and evaluates their identified outcomes on an ongoing basis. Recommends changes or improvements to child/family program plans.
- Recognizes potential crisis situations, analyzes such situations accurately, develops strategies to deal with such situations, and informs the program coordinator when such incidents arise.
- Provides emotional support and feedback to participants (and their families). Assists participants in attending appointments and provides transportation when necessary
Please see Child & Youth Care Worker job description for additional information.
- A degree in social/human services or a combination of education and experience is required for this position.
- At least one year’s previous work experience in a similar environment is required. Previous direct program delivery experience in the community social services sector with a demonstrated working knowledge of a specific community based program and related provincial and community support is required.
- Valid First Aid & CPR C Course
- Class 5 driver's license, and own car with 5Million Business Insurance
- Must successfully pass a Criminal Records Check
- A Physicians note indicating good health
- Strong written and verbal and facilitation and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to teach skills and work effectively with others
- Knowledge of theory, principles and practices in the field of child and youth care or social work
- Good time and general management skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Strong management skills
- Able to work well independently or as part of a team.
This position requires the ability to work in a stressful environment often dealing with clientele in crisis situations brought about by social and family problems. The ability to function independently; frequently under pressure while managing multiple priorities and tasks, including emergency situations is an ongoing expectation of this position. Participation at meetings, conferences and other events may involve long work days, and/or evening/weekend work. Program activities may require a moderate level of physical fitness (i.e. walking, running, standing, bending, lifting) to effectively carry out the duties of this position.
Please note that although we appreciate your interest in this position, we are specifically looking to recruit a male to fill this vacancy
Hours: Casual (based on 0 – 20 hours) per week.
The Boys and Girls Clubs of Central Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.
Thank you for your interest in the Boys and Girls Clubs of Central Vancouver Island only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Further information for this position is available on our website at www.bgccvi.com