Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews

To be able to help a family have a successful visit.
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB18 July 2017
Receive service request for social workers to coordinate family support workers to assist the family through a variety of interventions to achieve family goals such as; parenting, problem solving, and life, as well as connecting with appropriate community resources.
Pros
Great co-workers - medical time off
Cons
Communiting to Camrose to help my Father with his health
Strong Leadership is needed for future projects
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 July 2017
The Boys and Girls club has the right ideas, but fails to organize and deliver on multiple platforms. It is an open court-house to a multitude of ideas that ultimately has high hopes and promises but nothing truly progressive gets done.
Amazing supervisors
MAP Assistant to Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  London, ON6 July 2017
Great supervisors provided for CYC students at the Boys and Girls Club, who were very supportive and understanding. The clients that I was able to work with were amazing and energetic during my weeks working for the camp.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Little engagement with management
Boys & Girls Clubs
PRESCHOOL TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK4 July 2017
I love my job, and the people that I work with. Boys & Girls Clubs Canada is progressive, inclusive, and really try to take good care of their staff.
Amazing experience
Activity Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON30 June 2017
Working at the BGC was an amazing experience, full of interaction with clients, positive days and the feeling that you're making life better for the individuals you work with.

Issues however occur with the placement of hours; after-school programming, creating difficulties in working an additional position in order to meet bills.

Salary is satisfactory, however coupled with short hours it can present an issue.

Advancement does not readily seem available at most locations.
Pros
Working with children, physical activity, free snacks
Cons
Short shifts, awkward scheduling, less job security
The Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary is great
Shelter Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 June 2017
The BGCC just has a phenomenal cultural environment. Every person I met from the staff there has been understanding of different cultures and scenarios.

I learned a lot from the staff at Safe House, due to their varying level of experience and education. Also, due to their varying programs, it is possible to learn a lot about different positions and jobs.
Pros
Good work environment, good management, open upper management, everybody is open to talk
A good place to be
Program Activity Leader (Former Employee) –  Durham, ON25 June 2017
The Boys and Girls Club is a family to me and I will always cherish the memories and experiences I have had there.The Boys and Girls Club will always hold a special place in the hearts of its staff and its youth.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
teamwork between staff
Loved it
Staff Helper (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 June 2017
It was just amazing , the environment is really relaxed you get to interact with a diverse mix of people, attend cool and fun events.It was really great
Pros
Great experience
Fun and Enthusiastic Workplace
CAMP COUNSELOR ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  London, ON21 June 2017
Typical day at work consisted of supervising children. Learned how to work with children of all ages. Management was very helpful and thoughtful of my requirements. Workplace culture was very open and friendly to all. Hardest part of the job was dealing with disobedient children. Most enjoyable part was being in a comfortable and judge free environment.
Pros
First Work Experience
Good environment
Volunteer Experiences (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC10 June 2017
The boys and girls club is a good environment to get into as long as you know it is busy. Many times you get tied up with a few things to do at once, but it can be quite enjoyable.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Busy
Great work environment
Program Activity Leader (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON6 June 2017
The boys and girls club is great place to work it is filled with structure and discipline while the kids get to enjoy fun activities at the same time. It is a great placed for kids to attend after school as it not only provides the kids with social exposure but fun fill packed evenings.
productive and conducive environment
Activity worker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 May 2017
what matters most to employees is a place that is conducive to work at, and enjoyable that has all the necessary conditions for workers. i enjoy working all the time.
Pros
getting a ride
Cons
not getting enough hours to work
Fun!
Shaughnessy Park School, Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SK25 May 2017
This job is very hands on and involved with children. The days fly by and you never ever have the same day twice. I love watching the children advance educationally.
Fun environment
COUNSELOR IN TRAINING (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON22 May 2017
A typical day involved me helping kids with homework, organizing and helping out with games and getting to know new personalities.
I learned how to be more vocal around new people/kids. Management was OK, there were rough times here and there. The most enjoyable part was playing with the kids. The hardest part was keeping track of the kids location.
Pros
Free snacks
Really good area to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 May 2017
Lots of activities that we can do with the Kids
All kind of sports with tournaments
For me it was a good experience because I also love basketball and I got to see and play some basketball 🏀 at work!
Fun workplace, very fulfilling
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 May 2017
Every day changes, there are so many opportunities to learn and grow, the people are so amazing. The best part about this job is that you get to meet new kids and have fun with them while making a difference.
it was a good outstanding community
unemployed (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 May 2017
it was very outstanding nice people. great place to work got to help other people with their needs and help people you don't know and I like to see the smile on their faces
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not enough breaks
Nice and friendly Children's environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 May 2017
CORE VALUES

In our work with children, youth, families and communities, all Boys and Girls Clubs are guided by the following Core Values. These Core Values are the standard by which all Boys and Girls Club services are measured.

Belonging

We welcome everyone in a safe, accepting environment based on belonging and positive relationships.

Respect

We ensure that everyone – children, youth, families, volunteers, staff – is heard, respected, valued and treated fairly.

Encouragement and Support

We encourage and support every child and youth to play, learn and grow to achieve their dreams.

Working Together

We work together with young people, families, volunteers, our communities and government.

Speaking Out

We speak out with children, youth and families so that we can make our world better.
Pros
Likeable staff
Cons
No benefits
A great environment that will stretch you out.
Activity Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SK24 April 2017
Boys & Girls Club was an amazing place to work at for a season. I was in charge of planning and running my own programs for the kids. That would include sometimes working from home as well as researching different activities that the kids would like. Since it was primarily a smaller group, I was able to form relationships with the kids and formulate some of the things they like to have a better understanding of what we could run programwise.

During my time with BGC, I definitely had a lot of time to grow. I learned how to work in a team environment but I also learned a lot about myself in terms of personality and behavior management style. Going into the job itself, I was quite unsure of myself but I had amazing management who would back me and support me, giving constructive feedback if need be.

Perhaps the most challenging part of the job was setting aside things that are going on outside of work such as school, family, etc. These things would definitely play a factor in the way you would interact and engage with the kids. Nonetheless, I had to be really stretched out in this particular department to ensure that I was creating a healthy and safe environment for the kids.
Boys and Girls Club
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON20 April 2017
Boys and Girls Club was for coop and it was a learning experience for me, this was my first job doing outside of the fast food industry. The hardest part for me was adjusting getting back into the workplace again.
Pros
amazing after school program
Cons
it's not really that cheap