Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews

Leader in Training (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 December 2016
I was a productive member of the employees, by allowing kids to thrive in a nonjudgemental environment. I improved my communication skills and hope to apply this too new jobs.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Low pay
Great Place to Be
Intermediate Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 October 2016
An incredibly fulfilling experience that i will keep with me for all my days. The hours weren't the best but the job was worth it regardless and though it wasn't making me rich i did enjoy my job everyday.
Pros
easy going enviroment
Cons
unprofessional at times
fun, laid back environment
OFFICE ADMIN (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 October 2016
Working for boys and girls club has to be one of my most enjoyable jobs. Such a relaxing place to work with great people. Although I was an office admin I was included in trips with the kids.
Pros
Free things, trips
Cons
seasonal
Boys and Girls Club
Program Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB16 October 2016
Program is great, kids are wonderful! So sad to leave this place!

Management is okay, more organization is needed.

Its hard to manage so many kids with not enough staff.
Good if you like wokring with kids
After School Arts and Crafts Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 October 2016
Typical day consisted of doing art projects wiht students on a small budget.

Hardest Part of the job: Working with the school principle. I felt like she was in the career.
Challenging and Rewarding Workplace
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 September 2016
This was a rewarding position and I was able to develop professional and personally from this experience. I appreciated being able to form relationships with youth and create individualized programs to help them reach their goals.
Pros
Good Schedule and good relationships
productive work environment
Programmer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 September 2016
programming activities for boys and girls of all ages, minimum of 60 children per day in my care with four other staff. Planing daily activities as well as snack.
Great job
Program Leader, Stampede Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 August 2016
I loved it there working with kids were awesome and new opportunity's
could not advance with out a degree
but i had all kinds of awesome experiences
Boys and Girls Club is a fun place to work at and great experience to get when working with children and youth
Program Activity Leader (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON27 August 2016
I would recommend anyone who want to get experience or volunteer to work with Boys and Girls Club of Durham. It is highly recommended!!! I love working at Boys and Girls Club because it is very rewarding and with the training I learn a lot.

I think it is great to have an after school program as children do computers, crafts, gym, games, they have Healthy snack. We have safewalk when we pick up the kids to take them to the centre. We also have swimming for the kids.

I fine the afterschool program is great to keep the kids/ youth off the streets while parents are working and to know their kids are safe. We have special events such as Halloween activities and during Christmas Holidays such as Deck The Halls.

The staff I work with are great and very supportive. The staff treats children also youth as well as staff equal and non judgemental. Everyone is accepted.

My typical day is always busy but I love working with the children that I am supervising from day to day basis. It is always a pleasure to see a smile on the children's faces and to make a difference in their lives. The management is great and supportive and again treats everyone equal.

The hardest part of the job is when dealing with a lot of children In a group to get them to listen but with being a patient person also caring, understanding is what I need to get through it. I am very good at what I do as I started working at Boys and Girls Club since 2010 and I started volunteering with them in 2007 before I got hired.
Pros
very rewarding, ongoing training, experience working with children
Cons
no benefits and minimum wage
Fun and knowledgeable workshops
Intern (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON22 August 2016
set up and worked through workshops focused on basic life skills and beneficial advice to achieve your goals in the workplace
Pros
great community
Cons
low pay
fun volonteer work
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 July 2016
it was such a blast at the boys and girls club i would go back there but i want an actually paying job i had fun going there after school
un organized
Child care supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB12 July 2016
Typically the part time hires were inexperienced so difficult to work with as day care rules are quite stringent.
I really enjoyed the crafting with the kids, however I found it not to have as much structure as I believe works with children.
Fun and active workplace with games
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 July 2016
A typical day at work at Boys & Girls club was to come a half hour early and plan the program for the day. At my program, we would play about 5-6 games in a span of 40 minutes and the last 20 minutes was snack time and "The Talk" where we would have a topic of the day and ask questions about that topic. At the end of program, the kids would then go home and the Group Leaders would evaluate and reflect on how the program went hoe the child participated games, activities and how they worked with other child and the leaders. Also, we would evaluate how the leaders worked together. The co-workers would really well together, it was like one big family or a group of people who had been friends forever. Majority of the workers went to the club themselves when they were young. The hardest part of he job is getting the kids to settle down and to participate in all games. The way our group overcame this was by making a "call" which was a phrase we would say and it would mean for everyone to quiet down. The most enjoyable part of the job is playing games with the kids because as leaders, we must also play and it is amazingly fun, let's the leader gain a better relationship with the children and also gives the leaders a chance to let out their inner-child.
Pros
Fun, active and easy
Cons
short hours
Fun, Easy-Going, Flexible
Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK21 June 2016
I Loved working with the kids everyday, with flexible hours working around my school and football schedule, The managers were very helpful they showed me the way to becoming certified in healthy child development
Very friendly and fun loving environment
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  2005 Sheppard Ave. East, Suite#400, Toronto, ON4 June 2016
I loved my previous job because all staff members were so friendly and also learned a lot at BGCC. Organization is working for youth so loved to work with youth as well, I got an excellent experience.
Pros
Flexibility
productive and good workplace.
Great Day Community Engagement Event Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON26 May 2016
a lot of work but good experience, You will gain skills and learn and get different experience also friendly staff and good workers
teamwork
Camp Councillor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 May 2016
providing new games and tasks for children is very fun and creative..To watch them learn and progress in these new activities keeps me going ..i have learned to improvise and understand what people prefer by giving them an option and a choice . Doing so shows me to understand peoples preferences and how to help them make better choices.
It was fun working with children and getting to know more about my co-workers
Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB20 May 2016
Boys and girls club is a perfect place to send our children.This institution is meant for after school children. Most parent who do not close early from work, has an advantage. I will take the chance to recommend this place for everyone
Amazing and well rounded enviroment
Full- Time Inclusion Camp Counselor (Current Employee) –  London, ON16 May 2016
• Offered parents detailed daily reports that outlined their child’s day.
• Regular interactions with support workers
• Identified early warning signs of emotional and developmental problems in children.
• Engaged with children individually to meet their emotional and physical needs.
• Responsible for supervising program areas.
• Trained new staff on quality control procedures.
• Established a safe play environment for the children.
• Communicated openly with children's parents about daily activities and behaviors.
• Supervise and lead programs in various activities
• Supervision of volunteers
• Conducting tours for visitors
• Documenting incidents and filling out injury forms
fun
Staff (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 May 2016
The kids were amazing and nice, very fun place and nice people to work with, i would recommend for someone to work here, it doesn't even feel like a real job, but you do get paid!

Boys & Girls Clubs of America Reviews by Location