Boys & Girls Clubs of America

Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews

fun workplace
Hope Intern (Former Employee) –  Hope30 January 2017
learned how to be ready for the workforce
prepared resume
great people
different people from different cultures
management was great
Activity Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON2 March 2017
If you want to work in a place where people care about what they are doing, this is the place to work. Management are dedicated to creating the best programs for the children and have their best interests in mind at all time.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Not enough hours
Great
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON6 January 2017
It was mostly fun. I learned how to prepare fun activities for the children. The hardest part of the job was that some kids didnt know how to behave. The most enjoyable part was putting the inflatables up.
Pros
Free candy
Cons
its a non profit organization, great experience with great people I have learned so much during my work period
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 February 2017
Friendly environment
Non profit organization
great organization for the children
Meet and greet people
Learned so much during my work at BGCC
Learned new accounting software (Great Plains)
Did Volunteer work for the Golf Tournaments. and other children's events at the clubs
Gave training to the volunteers of BGCC
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Uncertainity
Boys and Girls Club is a fun place to work at and great experience to get when working with children and youth
Program Activity Leader (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON27 August 2016
I would recommend anyone who want to get experience or volunteer to work with Boys and Girls Club of Durham. It is highly recommended!!! I love working at Boys and Girls Club because it is very rewarding and with the training I learn a lot.

I think it is great to have an after school program as children do computers, crafts, gym, games, they have Healthy snack. We have safewalk when we pick up the kids to take them to the centre. We also have swimming for the kids.

I fine the afterschool program is great to keep the kids/ youth off the streets while parents are working and to know their kids are safe. We have special events such as Halloween activities and during Christmas Holidays such as Deck The Halls.

The staff I work with are great and very supportive. The staff treats children also youth as well as staff equal and non judgemental. Everyone is accepted.

My typical day is always busy but I love working with the children that I am supervising from day to day basis. It is always a pleasure to see a smile on the children's faces and to make a difference in their lives. The management is great and supportive and again treats everyone equal.

The hardest part of the job is when dealing with a lot of children In a group to get them to listen but with being a patient person also caring, understanding is what I need to get through it. I am very good at what I do as I started working at Boys and Girls Club since 2010 and I started volunteering with them in 2007 before I got hired.
Pros
very rewarding, ongoing training, experience working with children
Cons
no benefits and minimum wage
Very fun to work with the kids.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 January 2017
The kids will practice soccer and they would exercise. What I would be to make sure all the kids are outside and are geared. I would help out the coordinator for the sports club. I would sometimes play with the kids and make them feel good about themselves. The co-workers were nice and friendly to the kids and myself. The part I enjoyed was witnessing the kids happiness. The volunteer work was a lot of fun.
Good if you like wokring with kids
After School Arts and Crafts Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 October 2016
Typical day consisted of doing art projects wiht students on a small budget.

Hardest Part of the job: Working with the school principle. I felt like she was in the career.
Boys and Girls Club
Program Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB16 October 2016
Program is great, kids are wonderful! So sad to leave this place!

Management is okay, more organization is needed.

Its hard to manage so many kids with not enough staff.
This was volunteer work. Great to volunteer with
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 March 2017
This is a volunteer position for me. I am not sure as to how the company is to work for but they are great to their volunteers. I would recommend anyone who has the ability to volunteer with them.
fun workplace
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 January 2017
Typical day would be coming up for activities to place with the children and go on fun trips and do a lot of exciting things.The manger was very bad she would always get involved with peoples lifes and talk about peoples personally matters with the staff members especially her favorites . she always treated her favorites better than everyone .
Fair and Accountable Leadership
Head Counselor @ Camp Adventure (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB, Canada28 January 2017
Working in afterschool care was a pleasure. I was provided with many opportunities to be flexible and creative. Typically, the transition from contract to contract is smooth and simple, and working with children is very rewarding.
Good
Supervisor of Publicity and Promotions (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON28 September 2015
Many non-profit organizations need restructuring and their policies and procedures revamped to improve communications and effectiveness in delivery of services.
I was hired on a temporary basis, so I wasn't privy to many aspects of the organization. The CEO, executive directors and board members are different in each area, and so the issues would be different depending on where your location exists.
I was not aware of who the CEO was at that point in time.
Pros
Good programs and a benevolent cause
Cons
Fundraising planners need to interact with board members, who are sometimes making decisions that won't raise money - fundraising.
Excellent All Around
Lifeguard & Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON10 April 2016
I only worked at the Boys and Girls Club for a short time in the pool as a lifeguard, before I had to leave due to a health issue, however throughout the time I did work with the B+G Club of Niagara Falls, I loved it. The children I instructed on a daily basis were bundles of joy and so much fun to interact with. Management was very laid back and easy going. Extremely easy to interact with and communicate with. Finding coverage for shifts was easy as 1-2-3, and they were always understanding when you were sick.
Found the job was very laid back and fun, a bit stress-full at times but what job isn't.
Fellow lifeguards and employees were always friendly and easy to approach and get along with.
Would recommend this job/ company to anyone who loves kids or interacting with children/ having fun for work.
At the B+G Club of Niagara, you are paid to have fun.
Pros
Excellent Management, Excellent and Flexible Hours, Wonderful Fellow Employees
Cons
Tiring Work at Times
Great Place to Be
Intermediate Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 October 2016
An incredibly fulfilling experience that i will keep with me for all my days. The hours weren't the best but the job was worth it regardless and though it wasn't making me rich i did enjoy my job everyday.
Pros
easy going enviroment
Cons
unprofessional at times
Leader in Training (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 December 2016
I was a productive member of the employees, by allowing kids to thrive in a nonjudgemental environment. I improved my communication skills and hope to apply this too new jobs.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Low pay
Fun place to work.
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 December 2016
Helping children , playing games with them. A fun work place! Especially the staff there are all fun people. Plus great programs you can partake in.
Fun workplace
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 November 2016
Organizing games and activities for the kids to play and bond with each other. Great coworkers who communicates excellently with others so everyone is on the same page.
Challenging and Rewarding Workplace
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 September 2016
This was a rewarding position and I was able to develop professional and personally from this experience. I appreciated being able to form relationships with youth and create individualized programs to help them reach their goals.
Pros
Good Schedule and good relationships
fun, laid back environment
OFFICE ADMIN (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 October 2016
Working for boys and girls club has to be one of my most enjoyable jobs. Such a relaxing place to work with great people. Although I was an office admin I was included in trips with the kids.
Pros
Free things, trips
Cons
seasonal
If you enjoy painting this is a great job.
PAINTER (Former Employee) –  Peel, ON30 April 2016
Management was great and the work was generally straightforward. Setting up the room/hallway then painting walls and doors, and then cleaning up equipment and setting consisted of a regular day. The only issue was that sometimes the customers are not clear about what they want and if you accidentally drop paint it is very difficult to clean up.
Pros
good lunch periods
Cons
A decent amount of labour

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boys & Girls Clubs of America. Our community is ready to answer.

Boys & Girls Clubs of America Reviews by Location