Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews

Fun!
Shaughnessy Park School, Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SK25 May 2017
This job is very hands on and involved with children. The days fly by and you never ever have the same day twice. I love watching the children advance educationally.
Fun environment
COUNSELOR IN TRAINING (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON22 May 2017
A typical day involved me helping kids with homework, organizing and helping out with games and getting to know new personalities.
I learned how to be more vocal around new people/kids. Management was OK, there were rough times here and there. The most enjoyable part was playing with the kids. The hardest part was keeping track of the kids location.
Pros
Free snacks
Really good area to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 May 2017
Lots of activities that we can do with the Kids
All kind of sports with tournaments
For me it was a good experience because I also love basketball and I got to see and play some basketball 🏀 at work!
Fun workplace, very fulfilling
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 May 2017
Every day changes, there are so many opportunities to learn and grow, the people are so amazing. The best part about this job is that you get to meet new kids and have fun with them while making a difference.
it was a good outstanding community
unemployed (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 May 2017
it was very outstanding nice people. great place to work got to help other people with their needs and help people you don't know and I like to see the smile on their faces
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not enough breaks
Nice and friendly Children's environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 May 2017
CORE VALUES

In our work with children, youth, families and communities, all Boys and Girls Clubs are guided by the following Core Values. These Core Values are the standard by which all Boys and Girls Club services are measured.

Belonging

We welcome everyone in a safe, accepting environment based on belonging and positive relationships.

Respect

We ensure that everyone – children, youth, families, volunteers, staff – is heard, respected, valued and treated fairly.

Encouragement and Support

We encourage and support every child and youth to play, learn and grow to achieve their dreams.

Working Together

We work together with young people, families, volunteers, our communities and government.

Speaking Out

We speak out with children, youth and families so that we can make our world better.
Pros
Likeable staff
Cons
No benefits
A great environment that will stretch you out.
Activity Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SK24 April 2017
Boys & Girls Club was an amazing place to work at for a season. I was in charge of planning and running my own programs for the kids. That would include sometimes working from home as well as researching different activities that the kids would like. Since it was primarily a smaller group, I was able to form relationships with the kids and formulate some of the things they like to have a better understanding of what we could run programwise.

During my time with BGC, I definitely had a lot of time to grow. I learned how to work in a team environment but I also learned a lot about myself in terms of personality and behavior management style. Going into the job itself, I was quite unsure of myself but I had amazing management who would back me and support me, giving constructive feedback if need be.

Perhaps the most challenging part of the job was setting aside things that are going on outside of work such as school, family, etc. These things would definitely play a factor in the way you would interact and engage with the kids. Nonetheless, I had to be really stretched out in this particular department to ensure that I was creating a healthy and safe environment for the kids.
Boys and Girls Club
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON20 April 2017
Boys and Girls Club was for coop and it was a learning experience for me, this was my first job doing outside of the fast food industry. The hardest part for me was adjusting getting back into the workplace again.
Pros
amazing after school program
Cons
it's not really that cheap
my experience volunteer at the boys and girls
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB17 April 2017
working there was the most enjoyable volunteer place i every worked at.
i helped the staff get stuff ready for the kids
the most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the kids smile and have fun.
Typical day at work
Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 April 2017
Work starts at 9am , team and myself programmed planned then at 9:30 am children start to arrive and we begin our activities until 5pm, tteam debeif about the day
Pros
the same set hours everyday
Fun work environment working with kids
Program Staff (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 April 2017
This is a fast paced work environment that requires a lot of multi-tasking and "on-the-fly" problem solving skills.
It is a fun and engaging place to work where the clientele are children ages 0-19 years of age.
You will learn how to manage various behaviours and implement a number of different games and programs.
The hardest part of the job will be managing difficult behaviours and learning how to manage your time wisely.
The most enjoyable part is the amazing and friendly staff who will support you and also join in on the fun with the kids.
Great place to work for and awesome kids to work with
Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 March 2017
Boys and girls club of winnipegs are great opportunitis for kids to open up with one another and make new friends. When I worked /volunteered there it was always an amazing time with the kids younger than me. Whether it was arts and crafts or playing sports or even teaching them new things on a computer. It allowed me to learn how to respect others and be a team player all around.
This was volunteer work. Great to volunteer with
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 March 2017
This is a volunteer position for me. I am not sure as to how the company is to work for but they are great to their volunteers. I would recommend anyone who has the ability to volunteer with them.
Activity Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON2 March 2017
If you want to work in a place where people care about what they are doing, this is the place to work. Management are dedicated to creating the best programs for the children and have their best interests in mind at all time.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Not enough hours
its a non profit organization, great experience with great people I have learned so much during my work period
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 February 2017
Friendly environment
Non profit organization
great organization for the children
Meet and greet people
Learned so much during my work at BGCC
Learned new accounting software (Great Plains)
Did Volunteer work for the Golf Tournaments. and other children's events at the clubs
Gave training to the volunteers of BGCC
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Uncertainity
fun workplace
Hope Intern (Former Employee) –  Hope30 January 2017
learned how to be ready for the workforce
prepared resume
great people
different people from different cultures
management was great
Fair and Accountable Leadership
Head Counselor @ Camp Adventure (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB, Canada28 January 2017
Working in afterschool care was a pleasure. I was provided with many opportunities to be flexible and creative. Typically, the transition from contract to contract is smooth and simple, and working with children is very rewarding.
fun workplace
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 January 2017
Typical day would be coming up for activities to place with the children and go on fun trips and do a lot of exciting things.The manger was very bad she would always get involved with peoples lifes and talk about peoples personally matters with the staff members especially her favorites . she always treated her favorites better than everyone .
Very fun to work with the kids.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 January 2017
The kids will practice soccer and they would exercise. What I would be to make sure all the kids are outside and are geared. I would help out the coordinator for the sports club. I would sometimes play with the kids and make them feel good about themselves. The co-workers were nice and friendly to the kids and myself. The part I enjoyed was witnessing the kids happiness. The volunteer work was a lot of fun.
Great
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON6 January 2017
It was mostly fun. I learned how to prepare fun activities for the children. The hardest part of the job was that some kids didnt know how to behave. The most enjoyable part was putting the inflatables up.
Pros
Free candy
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boys & Girls Clubs of America. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval