Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews

Good
Supervisor of Publicity and Promotions (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONSeptember 28, 2015
Many non-profit organizations need restructuring and their policies and procedures revamped to improve communications and effectiveness in delivery of services.
I was hired on a temporary basis, so I wasn't privy to many aspects of the organization. The CEO, executive directors and board members are different in each area, and so the issues would be different depending on where your location exists.
I was not aware of who the CEO was at that point in time.
Pros
Good programs and a benevolent cause
Cons
Fundraising planners need to interact with board members, who are sometimes making decisions that won't raise money - fundraising.
Fun place to work, great job for students
Program Activity Leader (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 7, 2016
The Boys and Girls Club of Durham runs a fantastic after school program for ages 4 to 12 where children can have fun in a safe and comfortable environment. Problem solving skills and management of behaviours are essential. Co-workers and supervisors are friendly, hours are flexible, and there are many opportunities to work extra hours. The best parts of the job is having fun with the children and watching them become awesome people. The hardest part is dealing with angry or defiant children. Shifts are typically 3-4 hours for the after school program, and 4-8 hours for day camp programs.
Pros
snacks, friendly environment, play while you work, short shifts
Cons
low pay, short shifts
Amazing and well rounded enviroment
Full- Time Inclusion Camp Counselor (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 16, 2016
• Offered parents detailed daily reports that outlined their child’s day.
• Regular interactions with support workers
• Identified early warning signs of emotional and developmental problems in children.
• Engaged with children individually to meet their emotional and physical needs.
• Responsible for supervising program areas.
• Trained new staff on quality control procedures.
• Established a safe play environment for the children.
• Communicated openly with children's parents about daily activities and behaviors.
• Supervise and lead programs in various activities
• Supervision of volunteers
• Conducting tours for visitors
• Documenting incidents and filling out injury forms
Excellent All Around
Lifeguard & Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONApril 10, 2016
I only worked at the Boys and Girls Club for a short time in the pool as a lifeguard, before I had to leave due to a health issue, however throughout the time I did work with the B+G Club of Niagara Falls, I loved it. The children I instructed on a daily basis were bundles of joy and so much fun to interact with. Management was very laid back and easy going. Extremely easy to interact with and communicate with. Finding coverage for shifts was easy as 1-2-3, and they were always understanding when you were sick.
Found the job was very laid back and fun, a bit stress-full at times but what job isn't.
Fellow lifeguards and employees were always friendly and easy to approach and get along with.
Would recommend this job/ company to anyone who loves kids or interacting with children/ having fun for work.
At the B+G Club of Niagara, you are paid to have fun.
Pros
Excellent Management, Excellent and Flexible Hours, Wonderful Fellow Employees
Cons
Tiring Work at Times
Fun and active workplace with games
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 11, 2016
A typical day at work at Boys & Girls club was to come a half hour early and plan the program for the day. At my program, we would play about 5-6 games in a span of 40 minutes and the last 20 minutes was snack time and "The Talk" where we would have a topic of the day and ask questions about that topic. At the end of program, the kids would then go home and the Group Leaders would evaluate and reflect on how the program went hoe the child participated games, activities and how they worked with other child and the leaders. Also, we would evaluate how the leaders worked together. The co-workers would really well together, it was like one big family or a group of people who had been friends forever. Majority of the workers went to the club themselves when they were young. The hardest part of he job is getting the kids to settle down and to participate in all games. The way our group overcame this was by making a "call" which was a phrase we would say and it would mean for everyone to quiet down. The most enjoyable part of the job is playing games with the kids because as leaders, we must also play and it is amazingly fun, let's the leader gain a better relationship with the children and also gives the leaders a chance to let out their inner-child.
Pros
Fun, active and easy
Cons
short hours
Fun, energetic place to work
Leader/ Rentals (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 20, 2016
Starting leadership program
eases the way for a new job,
very good youth experience
-management wasn't the best
- co-workers very personal
-dealing with many many children ranging in ages
- learning how to deal with younger children
Supportive and postively challenging work environment
Success Coach, Fusion Program (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 3, 2016
Wonderful organization and supportive. It is an environment that encourages growth, communication and support. This career allows opportunity to work independently but from the understanding that you are fully supported by a great team.
Amazing place
YOUTH FACILITATOR (Former Employee) –  Saddle Lake, ABMarch 4, 2016
loved working here, atmosphere was awesome, everyone was treated fairly and the management were great... there were no power struggles at all.... the children were great as well.... awesome awesome awesome....
still in counselling
Shelter Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2016
The way i was treated here was beyond awful, I was at this company for years and because my supervisor did not personally like me I was targeted and bullied. This company tends to operate in a reactive short sighted way. There is a reason there is currently over 20 jobs posted for this agency. This is an amazing place to start and get some experience because they will hire green staff. Just be warned that you will learn just as much about how not to do things as you will about how to actually function as a healthy organization. Some of the supervisors are great and if the luck of the draw means that you end up under a strong leader then you are lucky, but there is no quality control for the supervisors and they are allowed to run free with little supervision. Power hungry leaders that make a habit of favourites and targets are more common than they should be and often the people that get ahead are the ones that brown nose, not the ones that are competent. I have seen people be con-sequenced for burnout and vicarious trauma instead of supported through it. If you are the sort of person that speaks up for injustices I would steer clear of this agency as at some point the injustices will likely come from your leadership. The word accountability very rarely exists in managements vocabulary.
Pros
see how not to do things
Cons
most of the leadership
Group Leader
Group Leader/Activity Leader (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 21, 2016
It is a great place to work if you enjoy inspiring children. Unfortunately, the pay is not great considering the staff to children ratio. It seems as though the management does not care about majority of staff and heavily plays on favoritism. It is difficult to try and improve the club overall since the management isn't open to suggestions.
Job
Assistant Coordinator of the After school Program (Current Employee) –  Lasalle, QCJanuary 12, 2016
I enjoy my job and over all the position i have is nothing to complain about. THE JOB OFFERS A LOT OF BENEFITS OF LEARNING AND GROWING. they do a lot for the community and its a good place to be
If you enjoy painting this is a great job.
PAINTER (Former Employee) –  Peel, ONApril 30, 2016
Management was great and the work was generally straightforward. Setting up the room/hallway then painting walls and doors, and then cleaning up equipment and setting consisted of a regular day. The only issue was that sometimes the customers are not clear about what they want and if you accidentally drop paint it is very difficult to clean up.
Pros
good lunch periods
Cons
A decent amount of labour
teamwork
Camp Councillor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 22, 2016
providing new games and tasks for children is very fun and creative..To watch them learn and progress in these new activities keeps me going ..i have learned to improvise and understand what people prefer by giving them an option and a choice . Doing so shows me to understand peoples preferences and how to help them make better choices.
Fun days, sunny days, rainy days, good days
Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Ladysmith, BCOctober 30, 2015
Typically you start your day walking in to kids being beyond excited to see you. Running to you to hug you. Smiles, laughs, and sometimes tears. It really was a job that you get to have fun and get paid for it.
I really learnt how to care for others, yet still having a backbone and not let others walk all over you.
Management was the best part of this, I was involved with the others in the company, keeping parents in the knows, and being in contact with the community. Doing the paperwork, the phone calls, pretty much everything to keep a daycare running. It was a lot but great.
My co-workers were always happy and easy to talk to, we all enjoyed our jobs and got to do what we all enjoyed.
The hardest part of this job was trying to tell kids the answer "no" because many would get upset and you wanted to just keep them happy.
The most enjoyable part of this job was literally getting paid to play.
Pros
Smiles, feeling like a family, Welcoming feeling, staff parties
Cons
Long days, draining keeping up with kids
Extremely fun and refreshing place to work
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 10, 2015
A typical day at work consists of playing all sorts of games with all sorts of kids. Management was always super supportive when you needed anything they could assist with. The co-workers are super friendly, you will hardly ever catch them without a smile. I wouldn't say the job is fairly easy, because you do need things such as patience, and energy, but overall if you love kids this is the job for you.
Pros
cooking club
Cons
Can be a lot of excercise
un organized
Child care supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJuly 12, 2016
Typically the part time hires were inexperienced so difficult to work with as day care rules are quite stringent.
I really enjoyed the crafting with the kids, however I found it not to have as much structure as I believe works with children.
Good Volunteer Working
Was accountable for sales transactions (Former Employee) –  oshawaApril 8, 2015
A typical day at work provided taking care of younger children for the day, as they were at Our Camp. We did a lot of activities each day such as fairs, Christmas Dinners and in late afternoon each day the children got too swim at the East View boys and girls club. I learned a lot working with children, and other volunteers that have been going there for a few years, such as the type of camps they do in all different towns, the fundraisers & the help in which the workers provided young teens that were registered with them.
Pros
long hours, great people
Cons
N/A
It was fun working with children and getting to know more about my co-workers
Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBMay 20, 2016
Boys and girls club is a perfect place to send our children.This institution is meant for after school children. Most parent who do not close early from work, has an advantage. I will take the chance to recommend this place for everyone
Fun, Easy-Going, Flexible
Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJune 21, 2016
I Loved working with the kids everyday, with flexible hours working around my school and football schedule, The managers were very helpful they showed me the way to becoming certified in healthy child development
Great job
Program Leader, Stampede Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 29, 2016
I loved it there working with kids were awesome and new opportunity's
could not advance with out a degree
but i had all kinds of awesome experiences

Boys & Girls Clubs of America Reviews by Location