Boys & Girls Clubs of America Employee Reviews in Canada

un organized
Child care supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJuly 12, 2016
Typically the part time hires were inexperienced so difficult to work with as day care rules are quite stringent.
I really enjoyed the crafting with the kids, however I found it not to have as much structure as I believe works with children.
Fun and active workplace with games
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 11, 2016
A typical day at work at Boys & Girls club was to come a half hour early and plan the program for the day. At my program, we would play about 5-6 games in a span of 40 minutes and the last 20 minutes was snack time and "The Talk" where we would have a topic of the day and ask questions about that topic. At the end of program, the kids would then go home and the Group Leaders would evaluate and reflect on how the program went hoe the child participated games, activities and how they worked with other child and the leaders. Also, we would evaluate how the leaders worked together. The co-workers would really well together, it was like one big family or a group of people who had been friends forever. Majority of the workers went to the club themselves when they were young. The hardest part of he job is getting the kids to settle down and to participate in all games. The way our group overcame this was by making a "call" which was a phrase we would say and it would mean for everyone to quiet down. The most enjoyable part of the job is playing games with the kids because as leaders, we must also play and it is amazingly fun, let's the leader gain a better relationship with the children and also gives the leaders a chance to let out their inner-child.
Pros
Fun, active and easy
Cons
short hours
Fun, Easy-Going, Flexible
Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJune 21, 2016
I Loved working with the kids everyday, with flexible hours working around my school and football schedule, The managers were very helpful they showed me the way to becoming certified in healthy child development
Very friendly and fun loving environment
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  2005 Sheppard Ave. East, Suite#400, Toronto, ONJune 4, 2016
I loved my previous job because all staff members were so friendly and also learned a lot at BGCC. Organization is working for youth so loved to work with youth as well, I got an excellent experience.
Pros
Flexibility
productive and good workplace.
Great Day Community Engagement Event Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMay 26, 2016
a lot of work but good experience, You will gain skills and learn and get different experience also friendly staff and good workers
teamwork
Camp Councillor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 22, 2016
providing new games and tasks for children is very fun and creative..To watch them learn and progress in these new activities keeps me going ..i have learned to improvise and understand what people prefer by giving them an option and a choice . Doing so shows me to understand peoples preferences and how to help them make better choices.
It was fun working with children and getting to know more about my co-workers
Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBMay 20, 2016
Boys and girls club is a perfect place to send our children.This institution is meant for after school children. Most parent who do not close early from work, has an advantage. I will take the chance to recommend this place for everyone
Amazing and well rounded enviroment
Full- Time Inclusion Camp Counselor (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 16, 2016
• Offered parents detailed daily reports that outlined their child’s day.
• Regular interactions with support workers
• Identified early warning signs of emotional and developmental problems in children.
• Engaged with children individually to meet their emotional and physical needs.
• Responsible for supervising program areas.
• Trained new staff on quality control procedures.
• Established a safe play environment for the children.
• Communicated openly with children's parents about daily activities and behaviors.
• Supervise and lead programs in various activities
• Supervision of volunteers
• Conducting tours for visitors
• Documenting incidents and filling out injury forms
fun
Staff (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 6, 2016
The kids were amazing and nice, very fun place and nice people to work with, i would recommend for someone to work here, it doesn't even feel like a real job, but you do get paid!
If you enjoy painting this is a great job.
PAINTER (Former Employee) –  Peel, ONApril 30, 2016
Management was great and the work was generally straightforward. Setting up the room/hallway then painting walls and doors, and then cleaning up equipment and setting consisted of a regular day. The only issue was that sometimes the customers are not clear about what they want and if you accidentally drop paint it is very difficult to clean up.
Pros
good lunch periods
Cons
A decent amount of labour
Fun place, easy going and nice people
Staff member (Former Employee) –  St. Anthony, NLApril 28, 2016
Overall, I liked the job. Nice co workers and it was nice to help out the kids. The only downside was the low pay for the amount of hours I had to put in.
Cons
Low pay
A place to raise your children
Program Lead - Special Events/Administrative Staff (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 26, 2016
I worked here for a little over 10 years. I have a great memories and experiences within this organization. I have nothing bad to say about this building or the staff within it.
Fun place to work
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 20, 2016
Great place,if you love working children it's the place for you.
If you're someone who can't really handle misbehaving kids, again not for you.
Pros
fun games
Cons
less hours
Excellent All Around
Lifeguard & Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONApril 10, 2016
I only worked at the Boys and Girls Club for a short time in the pool as a lifeguard, before I had to leave due to a health issue, however throughout the time I did work with the B+G Club of Niagara Falls, I loved it. The children I instructed on a daily basis were bundles of joy and so much fun to interact with. Management was very laid back and easy going. Extremely easy to interact with and communicate with. Finding coverage for shifts was easy as 1-2-3, and they were always understanding when you were sick.
Found the job was very laid back and fun, a bit stress-full at times but what job isn't.
Fellow lifeguards and employees were always friendly and easy to approach and get along with.
Would recommend this job/ company to anyone who loves kids or interacting with children/ having fun for work.
At the B+G Club of Niagara, you are paid to have fun.
Pros
Excellent Management, Excellent and Flexible Hours, Wonderful Fellow Employees
Cons
Tiring Work at Times
Student Placement
Student PSW (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 30, 2016
Amazing place to complete a student placement, incredible staff. Incredible work is being done here for our community.
work place
Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMarch 23, 2016
The work place was an awesome place to be in. Coming up with things to do for children was fun. Hide and seek was one of the most memorable activities that we would do as a group.
Pros
Activities
Cons
hours
Fun, energetic place to work
Leader/ Rentals (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 20, 2016
Starting leadership program
eases the way for a new job,
very good youth experience
-management wasn't the best
- co-workers very personal
-dealing with many many children ranging in ages
- learning how to deal with younger children
Productive environment for leadership development and community engagement.
After-School Program Staff (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2016
Engaging work environment with welcoming staff. The most enjoyable part of working here was knowing I am working towards positively impacting children in their education, social skills and living a healthy life.
Amazing place
YOUTH FACILITATOR (Former Employee) –  Saddle Lake, ABMarch 4, 2016
loved working here, atmosphere was awesome, everyone was treated fairly and the management were great... there were no power struggles at all.... the children were great as well.... awesome awesome awesome....
Youth Services Canada participant
Youth Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBMarch 2, 2016
A typical day was working with young children, providing a nutritious breakfast before they started their day. After school programming for children.
Pros
children
Cons
emotionally difficult at times

Boys & Girls Clubs of America Reviews by Location