Bow Valley College

Bow Valley College Employee Reviews

Very busy college environment
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 November 2016
At the time I was working there, new programs were still being developed and therefore work loads were not very well distributed. This caused stress for those who had tremendous work loads. Not all management was supportive or accommodating.
Pros
Salary and benefits were good
Cons
High stress environment due to work load
No job security
Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 December 2016
As a clinical instructor you get to look forward to working really early shifts starting at 0600-0630, and lack of job security.

Word of advice if your going to get a job as a clinical instructor keep working somewhere else because there's long gaps in-between clinicals, no guarantees you'll have a group in the future and you can end up working all over the city. In addition their always hiring new clinical instructors and your all fighting for spots, it's outrageous.

BVC might have some good positions but this is the bottom of the barrel. All I can say is don't take a job as a clinical instructor if you have bills that need paying.
Pros
students
Cons
everything else
Working at Bow valley
Student Counselor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 February 2016
I am currently enrolled At Bow Valley College in Human resources management program. And i got opportunity to work in school as well.I am learning something new every single day. Great opportunity.
Good team to work with
Office of the Registrar and Enrolment Services (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2015
Departments and staff are helpful, you can always pick up the phone and ask for help or clarification.
Good work / life balance. Good salary and benefits.
Pros
one hour lunches
Good
Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 August 2014
Good experience learning some great skills while teaching.
Pros
money, benefits, work/life balance
Cons
high turn over in staff and management
Good Company
Advising Assistant (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Calgary AB16 April 2013
I really enjoyed being an employee at Bow Valley College the staff was amazing very friendly and easy to work with, my typical day would be dealing with students and booking appointments for the Student funding advisors as well as enter and map IPL's (individual learning plans) for the students, I learnt numerous items Office tracker which was for the advisors for there appointment, Agresso which is a student data base. the hardest part of my job was sometimes dealing with angry students when they couldn't get what they wanted. the most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the students and the staff being able to help people and using my problem solving skills when needed.
Pros
people i worked with and dealt with
Cons
unsure of job security
help
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2015
I was involved in volunteering at BVC and we were all together to help people or guide them and also gave presentations. Its a good place to gain experience and learn how to communicate with other people.
good working environment.
Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 October 2015
There is a good working environment. That let me feel comfortable. There are friendly team workers. Also, there is a very good Tim Hortons store.
Terrible management/leadership
Academic Services (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 February 2014
Terrible management/leadership driven by an out-of-touch executive team. Hard work is not recognized or rewarded and employees are not valued, there is no loyalty. The students are great and there are some very dedicated, professional people who work there. If you strive for mediocrity, you will excel in this workplace.
Working as a peer tutor
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 August 2015
I loved working as a tutor with Bow Valley Collage, simply because I enjoy helping others achieve their goals. Helping students get the best grades possibly and helping them improve skills they mat or may not have already had is a passion of mine.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
only allowed 2 hours per week
Good benefits, good pay, management is hopeless
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2013
Working at BVC means working with people who really care about you and support you. For some reason, this most definitely does not extend to the management team. They are unfocussed, biased, and uncommunicative in the extreme.
Co-workers are well-intentioned, management can be unfair and oblivious to student needs
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 August 2014
Lack of transparency by management and poor decision-making creates tension in an otherwise positive, well-functioning team environment
Nice re-design of the original campus, with a nice new south campus across the street.
Senior Digital Print Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 July 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job was the personal face to face interaction with the instructors as they requested the production of their daily learning materials.
A typical day at work involved the aforementioned learning materials, curriculum production for certain departments and the BVC Bookstore.
The hardest part of the job was finding solutions and negotiating compromises in situations where the workload and deadlines were above our production capabilities.
My co-workers were generally very good people to work with and the atmosphere was generally congenial.
Over the course of my 11 years there I learned that the people who are the functional core of the education system (instructors, admin., admin. support, shippers/receivers) share the common thread of existing for the purpose of educating the students.
Management probably has good intentions, but may have displaced the core values of the secondary education system for other priorities. That is a perception that each individual must reflect upon relative to their own personal situation in the context of working in a secondary educational institution.
Pros
My job had clear definition and expectations, defined by our employee agreement between the AUPE and Bow Valley College.
Cons
Out - sourcing - - my job and others were outsourced due to a change in management philosophy.
Great place to go get a career
Health Care Aide Program (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 April 2015
I was a student of Bow Valley College. The program was a Health Care Aide program. It is an excellent program which taught me a lot about the medical field and I received a lot of training which gave me the confidence to continue in this field.
That was first time working as a business administration assistant and it is related to my career, and I got some experience.
Volunteered as an administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 December 2012
I worked there as volunter just for a month,but I gained a lot of knowledge while woking with those people who were higher educated than me.
Great assistant position for co-op student
Accountant Assistant/ Summer Co-op (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 July 2012
Accountant Assistant/ Summer Co-op
- participated in Year-Ended inventory physical count
- registered invoices and purchase orders into Accounts Payable using Agresso
- reconciled Alberta Learning’s list of conditional and on-time grants
I was on contract updating files in PowerPoint
Contract - Document Control Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 July 2014
Great environment, spacious, fun. My job at Bow Valley College was to extract information from personnel files and create new folders within SharePoint.
Very ok place to work
Institutional Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary10 May 2012
After working here for about a month, I found that there is not much for me to learn, and the working environment is not challenging enough.
Proactive, Challenging, responsibilities. meeting with deadlines. etc
Coordinator assistant and Admin support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 April 2013
It was a good learning experience along an educational institute.
N/A
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 October 2014
I did volunteering at bow valley college just guiding people where they have to go.

2.9