Bow Valley College Employee Reviews

Loyalty NOT rewaded
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 June 2017
I was let go as an instructor at BVC after more than five years for no reason and no cause with only two days notice. Unprofessional management was the norm during my time in my department, as they didn't promote people to supervisory positions according to management skills.
Pros
Good pay, great benefits if you get full-time work
Cons
Limited chances for advancement, poor middle management, staff so big that you are a number.
Management issues in certain departments that don't seem to be improving. Lack of accountability, pressure to perform without adequate support.
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 April 2017
Workplace culture is lacking. People in management and non-management roles use fear to get results. No accountability. People are working in silos in some departments. Not a good environment.
Pros
Ability to see efforts of helping students
Cons
everything else
productive
Registered Nursing student (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 April 2017
enjoyable place to study and learn, small class size is very helpful,extremely helpful staff finding funding with my career choices , always extra help if needed
Small classes, great learning atmosphere
General Councillor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 April 2017
With the smaller classes, and knowing you will be work ready upon graduation, i highly recommend this school to any who is looking to get industry valued education.
Nice college
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 March 2017
I go to school at Bow Valley, and I have to say that the staff is wonderful. There isn't a day where I would hesitate on walking through the doors of the school.
Excellent work experience and supportive environment for learning.
Hospital Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Work Experience21 February 2017
My work experience through Bow Valley College was at the Rockyview General Hospital.

A typical work day is very busy.
I learned to multi-task more effectively.
Hospital workplace culture.
Managing the busy extra busy times during the day is the hardest.
Working in a healthcare environment is most enjoyable.
Pros
Learning from a preceptor is a great oppurtunity.
Cons
So much to learn within limited time.
Great
College Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 February 2017
Bow Valley College was a wonderful place to work.
The people there were fantastic and most of the management team is incredibly approachable.
Many members of the management trust you to get your job done and trust that you are capable of completing work with little or no supervision.
The most frustrating part of working at the college is its downtown location. Calgary transit can be incredibly unreliable and shuts down more than is acceptable for a large city. Parking is very expensive and the traffic is ridiculous.
The people that you work with and the students make up for this. The students are incredibly appreciative and hard working. Bow Valley College has a high standard and demands excellence from its students.
Pros
students
Cons
commute downtown Calgary
Bow Valley is a great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 January 2017
Bow Valley is a great place to work, because it is a place where people come to follow their dreams. I am pleased to be a part of the process, and love to see all the students come through the Iniikokaan Aboriginal Center.
Pros
Cultural Knowledge - Blackfoot
No job security
Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 December 2016
As a clinical instructor you get to look forward to working really early shifts starting at 0600-0630, and lack of job security.

Word of advice if your going to get a job as a clinical instructor keep working somewhere else because there's long gaps in-between clinicals, no guarantees you'll have a group in the future and you can end up working all over the city. In addition their always hiring new clinical instructors and your all fighting for spots, it's outrageous.

BVC might have some good positions but this is the bottom of the barrel. All I can say is don't take a job as a clinical instructor if you have bills that need paying.
Pros
students
Cons
everything else
Very busy college environment
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 November 2016
At the time I was working there, new programs were still being developed and therefore work loads were not very well distributed. This caused stress for those who had tremendous work loads. Not all management was supportive or accommodating.
Pros
Salary and benefits were good
Cons
High stress environment due to work load
Working at Bow valley
Student Counselor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 February 2016
I am currently enrolled At Bow Valley College in Human resources management program. And i got opportunity to work in school as well.I am learning something new every single day. Great opportunity.
Good team to work with
Office of the Registrar and Enrolment Services (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2015
Departments and staff are helpful, you can always pick up the phone and ask for help or clarification.
Good work / life balance. Good salary and benefits.
Pros
one hour lunches
help
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2015
I was involved in volunteering at BVC and we were all together to help people or guide them and also gave presentations. Its a good place to gain experience and learn how to communicate with other people.
good working environment.
Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 October 2015
There is a good working environment. That let me feel comfortable. There are friendly team workers. Also, there is a very good Tim Hortons store.
Working as a peer tutor
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 August 2015
I loved working as a tutor with Bow Valley Collage, simply because I enjoy helping others achieve their goals. Helping students get the best grades possibly and helping them improve skills they mat or may not have already had is a passion of mine.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
only allowed 2 hours per week
Great place to go get a career
Health Care Aide Program (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 April 2015
I was a student of Bow Valley College. The program was a Health Care Aide program. It is an excellent program which taught me a lot about the medical field and I received a lot of training which gave me the confidence to continue in this field.
N/a
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 October 2014
I did volunteering at bow valley college just guiding people where they have to go.
Good
Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 August 2014
Good experience learning some great skills while teaching.
Pros
money, benefits, work/life balance
Cons
high turn over in staff and management
Co-workers are well-intentioned, management can be unfair and oblivious to student needs
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 August 2014
Lack of transparency by management and poor decision-making creates tension in an otherwise positive, well-functioning team environment
I was on contract updating files in PowerPoint
Contract - Document Control Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 July 2014
Great environment, spacious, fun. My job at Bow Valley College was to extract information from personnel files and create new folders within SharePoint.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bow Valley College. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8