Bow Valley College Employee Reviews

Student
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2017
I was a student here from 2014 to 2016. I have learned knowledge about justice studies and especially correctional studies. I have completed all the courses successfully here. and I participated in the volunteer activity in the last year of my study here
Loyalty NOT rewaded
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 June 2017
I was let go as an instructor at BVC after more than five years for no reason and no cause with only two days notice. Unprofessional management was the norm during my time in my department, as they didn't promote people to supervisory positions according to management skills.
Pros
Good pay, great benefits if you get full-time work
Cons
Limited chances for advancement, poor middle management, staff so big that you are a number.
Management issues in certain departments that don't seem to be improving. Lack of accountability, pressure to perform without adequate support.
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 April 2017
Workplace culture is lacking. People in management and non-management roles use fear to get results. No accountability. People are working in silos in some departments. Not a good environment.
Pros
Ability to see efforts of helping students
Cons
everything else
Excellent work experience and supportive environment for learning.
Hospital Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Work Experience21 February 2017
My work experience through Bow Valley College was at the Rockyview General Hospital.

A typical work day is very busy.
I learned to multi-task more effectively.
Hospital workplace culture.
Managing the busy extra busy times during the day is the hardest.
Working in a healthcare environment is most enjoyable.
Pros
Learning from a preceptor is a great oppurtunity.
Cons
So much to learn within limited time.
Great
College Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 February 2017
Bow Valley College was a wonderful place to work.
The people there were fantastic and most of the management team is incredibly approachable.
Many members of the management trust you to get your job done and trust that you are capable of completing work with little or no supervision.
The most frustrating part of working at the college is its downtown location. Calgary transit can be incredibly unreliable and shuts down more than is acceptable for a large city. Parking is very expensive and the traffic is ridiculous.
The people that you work with and the students make up for this. The students are incredibly appreciative and hard working. Bow Valley College has a high standard and demands excellence from its students.
Pros
students
Cons
commute downtown Calgary
Bow Valley is a great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 January 2017
Bow Valley is a great place to work, because it is a place where people come to follow their dreams. I am pleased to be a part of the process, and love to see all the students come through the Iniikokaan Aboriginal Center.
Pros
Cultural Knowledge - Blackfoot
No job security
Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 December 2016
As a clinical instructor you get to look forward to working really early shifts starting at 0600-0630, and lack of job security.

Word of advice if your going to get a job as a clinical instructor keep working somewhere else because there's long gaps in-between clinicals, no guarantees you'll have a group in the future and you can end up working all over the city. In addition their always hiring new clinical instructors and your all fighting for spots, it's outrageous.

BVC might have some good positions but this is the bottom of the barrel. All I can say is don't take a job as a clinical instructor if you have bills that need paying.
Pros
students
Cons
everything else
Very busy college environment
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 November 2016
At the time I was working there, new programs were still being developed and therefore work loads were not very well distributed. This caused stress for those who had tremendous work loads. Not all management was supportive or accommodating.
Pros
Salary and benefits were good
Cons
High stress environment due to work load
Working at Bow valley
Student Counselor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 February 2016
I am currently enrolled At Bow Valley College in Human resources management program. And i got opportunity to work in school as well.I am learning something new every single day. Great opportunity.
Good team to work with
Office of the Registrar and Enrolment Services (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2015
Departments and staff are helpful, you can always pick up the phone and ask for help or clarification.
Good work / life balance. Good salary and benefits.
Pros
one hour lunches
help
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2015
I was involved in volunteering at BVC and we were all together to help people or guide them and also gave presentations. Its a good place to gain experience and learn how to communicate with other people.
good working environment.
Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 October 2015
There is a good working environment. That let me feel comfortable. There are friendly team workers. Also, there is a very good Tim Hortons store.
Working as a peer tutor
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 August 2015
I loved working as a tutor with Bow Valley Collage, simply because I enjoy helping others achieve their goals. Helping students get the best grades possibly and helping them improve skills they mat or may not have already had is a passion of mine.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
only allowed 2 hours per week
N/a
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 October 2014
I did volunteering at bow valley college just guiding people where they have to go.
Good
Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 August 2014
Good experience learning some great skills while teaching.
Pros
money, benefits, work/life balance
Cons
high turn over in staff and management
Co-workers are well-intentioned, management can be unfair and oblivious to student needs
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 August 2014
Lack of transparency by management and poor decision-making creates tension in an otherwise positive, well-functioning team environment
I was on contract updating files in PowerPoint
Contract - Document Control Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 July 2014
Great environment, spacious, fun. My job at Bow Valley College was to extract information from personnel files and create new folders within SharePoint.
Good culture, weak upper IT management
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 June 2014
So was contracted at this organization for approximately 7 months under a contract to hire position under x salary range.

While the work was interesting and constructive, what was offered in the compensation package is not what was initially told to me.

I was disappointed by the promises that were made to me, but was never delivered.

I would recommend it only as a stepping in your career, great people, but bad management. Most people there were friendly and fun to work with. Management integrity was another story,
Pros
People, Culture
Cons
Upper IT management
Terrible management/leadership
Academic Services (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 February 2014
Terrible management/leadership driven by an out-of-touch executive team. Hard work is not recognized or rewarded and employees are not valued, there is no loyalty. The students are great and there are some very dedicated, professional people who work there. If you strive for mediocrity, you will excel in this workplace.
Nice re-design of the original campus, with a nice new south campus across the street.
Senior Digital Print Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 July 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job was the personal face to face interaction with the instructors as they requested the production of their daily learning materials.
A typical day at work involved the aforementioned learning materials, curriculum production for certain departments and the BVC Bookstore.
The hardest part of the job was finding solutions and negotiating compromises in situations where the workload and deadlines were above our production capabilities.
My co-workers were generally very good people to work with and the atmosphere was generally congenial.
Over the course of my 11 years there I learned that the people who are the functional core of the education system (instructors, admin., admin. support, shippers/receivers) share the common thread of existing for the purpose of educating the students.
Management probably has good intentions, but may have displaced the core values of the secondary education system for other priorities. That is a perception that each individual must reflect upon relative to their own personal situation in the context of working in a secondary educational institution.
Pros
My job had clear definition and expectations, defined by our employee agreement between the AUPE and Bow Valley College.
Cons
Out - sourcing - - my job and others were outsourced due to a change in management philosophy.