Bow Valley College Employee Reviews

Fun place to be
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT/SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Calgary Downtown1 November 2017
Fun place to be good people to work with and great benifit i enjoyed working at Bowvalley College very respectful colleges and the managers and directors.
I've never worked anywhere more dysfunctional
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 October 2017
I have an incompetent director, who also bullies people. There have been at least 10 departures from one department in as many months. HR is absolutely useless. Their hires continue to be questionable and they will not remove the incompetent director. I've worked for a number of different organizations in Calgary. Different sizes, different challenges and in different sectors. However, this is the LEAST cooperative organization that I've worked for in almost two decades in this city.
Pros
Some departments can be good to work for and are more functional.
Cons
Highly dysfunctional. Very low standards. Many people in leadership roles who should not be.
productive workplace
Medical Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 October 2017
I had really enjoyed being there and being with the people that were with me in the place. Also i had learned a variety of things that i hadn't not learned
Student
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2017
I was a student here from 2014 to 2016. I have learned knowledge about justice studies and especially correctional studies. I have completed all the courses successfully here. and I participated in the volunteer activity in the last year of my study here
Loyalty NOT rewaded
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 June 2017
I was let go as an instructor at BVC after more than five years for no reason and no cause with only two days notice. Unprofessional management was the norm during my time in my department, as they didn't promote people to supervisory positions according to management skills.
Pros
Good pay, great benefits if you get full-time work
Cons
Limited chances for advancement, poor middle management, staff so big that you are a number.
Management issues in certain departments that don't seem to be improving. Lack of accountability, pressure to perform without adequate support.
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 April 2017
Workplace culture is lacking. People in management and non-management roles use fear to get results. No accountability. People are working in silos in some departments. Not a good environment.
Pros
Ability to see efforts of helping students
Cons
everything else
productive
Registered Nursing student (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 April 2017
enjoyable place to study and learn, small class size is very helpful,extremely helpful staff finding funding with my career choices , always extra help if needed
Excellent work experience and supportive environment for learning.
Hospital Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Work Experience21 February 2017
My work experience through Bow Valley College was at the Rockyview General Hospital.

A typical work day is very busy.
I learned to multi-task more effectively.
Hospital workplace culture.
Managing the busy extra busy times during the day is the hardest.
Working in a healthcare environment is most enjoyable.
Pros
Learning from a preceptor is a great oppurtunity.
Cons
So much to learn within limited time.
Great
College Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 February 2017
Bow Valley College was a wonderful place to work.
The people there were fantastic and most of the management team is incredibly approachable.
Many members of the management trust you to get your job done and trust that you are capable of completing work with little or no supervision.
The most frustrating part of working at the college is its downtown location. Calgary transit can be incredibly unreliable and shuts down more than is acceptable for a large city. Parking is very expensive and the traffic is ridiculous.
The people that you work with and the students make up for this. The students are incredibly appreciative and hard working. Bow Valley College has a high standard and demands excellence from its students.
Pros
students
Cons
commute downtown Calgary
Bow Valley is a great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 January 2017
Bow Valley is a great place to work, because it is a place where people come to follow their dreams. I am pleased to be a part of the process, and love to see all the students come through the Iniikokaan Aboriginal Center.
Pros
Cultural Knowledge - Blackfoot
No job security
Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 December 2016
As a clinical instructor you get to look forward to working really early shifts starting at 0600-0630, and lack of job security.

Word of advice if your going to get a job as a clinical instructor keep working somewhere else because there's long gaps in-between clinicals, no guarantees you'll have a group in the future and you can end up working all over the city. In addition their always hiring new clinical instructors and your all fighting for spots, it's outrageous.

BVC might have some good positions but this is the bottom of the barrel. All I can say is don't take a job as a clinical instructor if you have bills that need paying.
Pros
students
Cons
everything else
Very busy college environment
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 November 2016
At the time I was working there, new programs were still being developed and therefore work loads were not very well distributed. This caused stress for those who had tremendous work loads. Not all management was supportive or accommodating.
Pros
Salary and benefits were good
Cons
High stress environment due to work load
Working at Bow valley
Student Counselor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 February 2016
I am currently enrolled At Bow Valley College in Human resources management program. And i got opportunity to work in school as well.I am learning something new every single day. Great opportunity.
Good team to work with
Office of the Registrar and Enrolment Services (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2015
Departments and staff are helpful, you can always pick up the phone and ask for help or clarification.
Good work / life balance. Good salary and benefits.
Pros
one hour lunches
help
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2015
I was involved in volunteering at BVC and we were all together to help people or guide them and also gave presentations. Its a good place to gain experience and learn how to communicate with other people.
good working environment.
Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 October 2015
There is a good working environment. That let me feel comfortable. There are friendly team workers. Also, there is a very good Tim Hortons store.
Working as a peer tutor
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 August 2015
I loved working as a tutor with Bow Valley Collage, simply because I enjoy helping others achieve their goals. Helping students get the best grades possibly and helping them improve skills they mat or may not have already had is a passion of mine.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
only allowed 2 hours per week
N/a
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 October 2014
I did volunteering at bow valley college just guiding people where they have to go.
Good
Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 August 2014
Good experience learning some great skills while teaching.
Pros
money, benefits, work/life balance
Cons
high turn over in staff and management
Co-workers are well-intentioned, management can be unfair and oblivious to student needs
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 August 2014
Lack of transparency by management and poor decision-making creates tension in an otherwise positive, well-functioning team environment