Boston Pizza Employee Reviews

Fun workplace and great learning experiences.
Server (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 11, 2016
Everyday is always a new and exciting experience, you learn patience, better communication, and good sale tactics. Mangers are very helpful, knowledgeable, and professional, as well as your co-workers. The hardest part of the job would be handling time management in a fast pace environment under stress. The most enjoyable part of the job would be meeting new people all the time, and working with people that feel like family.
Pros
Good Co-workers, Good Money, Fun.
Cons
Long Hours
An okay place to start your first serving job.
Server (Current Employee) –  Yellowknife, NTJuly 20, 2016
I liked working at Boston Pizza; especially considering the food was phenomenal. However, the management could use some work. Favoritism was involved and it was not fair, especially when it came to the dress code. I would go into work one day, wearing something "unacceptable" and when another co-worker wearing the same thing, they would get off scott free. I found it quite unfair.
Pros
50% off, a couple of my friends workerd there
Cons
Not enough hours, overcrowded staff
Enjoyable place to work with great staff.
Prep/Line Cook, Supervisor, Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BCJune 15, 2016
I have enjoyed my experience at Boston Pizza over the years. I have been at this job off and on for ten years. I found the people that you work with were fun and hard working. The management (for the most part) were friendly and understanding. Would go the extra mile if you had an issue or complaint. I was also surprised at how much the owners cared and were involved with the day to day in the store.
Pros
people, food, advancement potential
Cons
repetitive at times
It was a good family to work for.
Waitress server (Former Employee) –  Medicine hatSeptember 2, 2016
I worked at Boston pizza as a waitress and as a cook over the years. The restaurant was very busy and I had to be able to work
In a fast filled environment so organization was key. I did well because I always had made sure I was looking two steps ahead. The family who owned the business were very good to work for.
Pros
Good food, meet lots of people and developed relationships as they were regular customers.
Cons
Nothing negative to say
Productive and fun with no advancement and tough hours
Server (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 25, 2016
I absolutely loved my job at BP's. It is difficult balancing life while working a night job but the money was great and the staff was fantastic. It has very little advancement though as I have asked multiple times to be trained as a bartender to no avail. I am looking for a more consistent pay cheque, more Monday to Friday, 9-5 etc.
Pros
Very easy, very fun, and free meals often.
Cons
Living off your tips means no loans, financing, etc
fun environment to be in
Line cook (Current Employee) –  Boston, ABJune 12, 2015
an average day of work consists of getting there and working through the dinner rush until it slows down then close down the kitchen. I learned how to work under pressure and make quick decisions. My co-workers are extremely fun to work with and make coming to work a good time. The hardest part of the job is having something go wrong in the kitchen and having to solve the problem right away. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing your food after its been cooked and having it look good. Another enjoyable part of the job is working with my amazing co-workers.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
extremely low wages with no raise
Home away from home
Server (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 11, 2016
Going to work was always enjoyable. My co-workers were easy to get along with and always made the work day pleasant. Often times, I would stay after work for a meal and hang out with other staff members for hours before I went home. The management was always understanding and fair with each of us employees and were easy to talk to when problems arose. The hardest part about this job was keeping up with very difficult tables when I had other tables to keep up with as well. My managers helped me realize that it's okay to ask for help things get overwhelming and it doesn't make me a bad server for not being able to do it on my own. The most enjoyable part about my job was meeting my regulars and getting to know them. I also really enjoyed the feeling of belonging I had working there. My co-workers and managers were like my family. As I said, Boston Pizza was like my home away from home.
Pros
50% discount, friendly staff contests/competitions, rewards/prizes, daily tips
Cons
long shifts, late hours, not knowing what your end time is (depending on how busy it is), normally slow unless there was an event happening at the MTS Centre
fun workplace
SUPERVISOR & LINE COOK (Former Employee) –  calgary albertaOctober 25, 2015
fast paced environment with room to advance in the company. also u get franchise benefits . we also had staff party's . we made multiple meals and had to think on our feet.
Pros
lots of things to learn with a franchise
Cons
not enough hours to go around
Franchise Rules
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJune 29, 2016
Training was good, and often. Staff was well managed. I learned everything I know about serving from my manager because she was a dedicated employee. Hardest part of the job were the bi-annual business reviews. Best part was the team atmosphere in preparing for those business reviews though. daily lunch specials were good which insured a busy day. Menu changes often, which brought in ne customers often.
Pros
consistent training
Cons
many rules to follow
Terrible management
Manager of Operations (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJuly 16, 2016
The owners in Kingston give no cares about their staff. He is a liar and cheapskate. I worked as a manager there and he had asked me to book live entertainment. He then cancelled the band after they arrived and were set up ready to play. Then refused to pay them. I put in my notice and he then afterwards fired me saying that I was stealing when I absolutely was not. Do not work for these people.
Great Place to Work
Bartender and Waitress (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLJuly 28, 2016
I learned how to really become a quick and efficient bartender there. They have a great customer base and are always busy which allows for you to really learn how to manage your tables and ensure everyone is receiving VIP treatment throught their entire visit
Pros
Staff Discounts Great Tips Awesome Work Environment
Cons
Physiscally Demanding, The hetic nights with drink specials
Productive, fun, and excellent training, but poor management.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 27, 2016
A typical day at Boston Pizza consisted of stocking your assigned work station and finishing customer orders. It was very straightforward, and quite enjoyable work. Most of my culinary skills I learned from there. My co-workers were the best I've ever had and I'm still good friends with them to this day.

I only wish I could say the same about management. Management in the location I worked at was a wreck to put it lightly. Front of store management would sexually harass waitresses, and the head chef would rarely restock the kitchen or preform any of his duties. This lack of respect for the employees and restaurant as a whole lead to the location being shut down.

The hardest part of the shift was dealing with such difficult management, but the easiest was definitely the work itself, which I looked forward to every single day.
Pros
Discounted meals, great co-workers and training.
Cons
Poor management.
my "second" family
SERVER/BARTENDER (Former Employee) –  AlbertaApril 6, 2016
Boston Pizza was my first job , starting from the beginning ( dishwasher) and working my way up within the 4 years plus and that was the best part about growing up. learning the work place and the people, who grew to be my family, the workers were amazing the managers were exactly what pushed you to be the best you could be and the owner, i have never met an owner who could ever be a runner up to him. The passion, the love and respect that he had for every employee made you feel like you were worth being there. that's why i never left, until i moved away for school.
Pros
great owner, staff, environment
Cons
cant think of any that werent self doing.
Excellent Chain, Poor Ownership
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABJanuary 26, 2016
With such a excellent well known chain business, I would have expected much better training and advancement opportunities. The Company that owned the particular location I was employed at was not interested in valuing their employees at all.
Pros
free meals
Cons
long hours, no rewards
Fast Pace
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 13, 2016
I remember I liked working at Boston Pizza, but the manager expected a lot from her employees. I didn't have any problems meeting her expectations, but I was hired with 4 other cooks and out of 5 of us I was the only one who did not get fired in the end.
Job is very physically demanding at times, but if you like the high energy and fast pace jobs that keeps you occupied it is the job for you.
Loved the environment and amazing co-workers
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 22, 2016
Going in to work didn't feel like a chore to me. I felt right at home as everyone was so happy and outgoing, we were like a family. My managers treated everyone amazing I have learned a lot from working here. For example, I feel a lot more open and outgoing with people. Sometimes a struggle would be dealing with unsatisfied customers but I have also learned how to handle that type of situation.
Great job location
Bartender and Waitress (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ONAugust 11, 2016
I have a great time working at Boston Pizza, the owner is a great guy and cares about his employees, the managers and very helpful and guide us all towards a productive restaurant. The staff is hired through interviews, which supplies a hard working well fit group of individuals.
Pros
fifty percent of meals when working
Cons
long hours, but nothing we all don't handle
Amazing Group of Staff
Server (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, ABMay 28, 2016
Since working here I feel like I've made life long friends. Serving is a great way to meet people, make money and you get to be yourself. My manager is a big reason I stay. I worked at a different location previously and didn't feel valued. My GM makes me feel like part of the team and that I'm an asset. She is super friendly and outgoing, she can turn a bad day into something special. I love working here!
Pros
Managers, food discount, free pop, hours
Cons
Hours, the uniform, angry guests
horrible experience
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Fernie, BCSeptember 23, 2016
Worked at bps in fernie BC, they spent an hour training me and expected me to know the whole menu and all the computer stuff after a couple days. The gm was using drugs at work and every server there got over loaded tables and it was hotinlel. After working here I decided the restraint busines was not for me. Not to mention they still owe me a pay cheque.
Absolute s**thole
Server (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONMay 13, 2016
I love my staff and the people I work with with an exception of few but everything that goes on there is screaming for the Ministry of Labour. First aid kit hasn't been updated since 2012, I don't get paid for sitting and waiting to start then being sent home, they make you pay your own money if the till is short or you make a mistake, the list goes on and on. It's completely absurd and I really want to know if all other Boston Pizza's are like this...
Pros
Love my co-workers
Cons
Everything is highly illegal