Boston Pizza Employee Reviews in Canada

my "second" family
SERVER/BARTENDER (Former Employee) –  AlbertaApril 6, 2016
Boston Pizza was my first job , starting from the beginning ( dishwasher) and working my way up within the 4 years plus and that was the best part about growing up. learning the work place and the people, who grew to be my family, the workers were amazing the managers were exactly what pushed you to be the best you could be and the owner, i have never met an owner who could ever be a runner up to him. The passion, the love and respect that he had for every employee made you feel like you were worth being there. that's why i never left, until i moved away for school.
Pros
great owner, staff, environment
Cons
cant think of any that werent self doing.
Home away from home
Server (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 11, 2016
Going to work was always enjoyable. My co-workers were easy to get along with and always made the work day pleasant. Often times, I would stay after work for a meal and hang out with other staff members for hours before I went home. The management was always understanding and fair with each of us employees and were easy to talk to when problems arose. The hardest part about this job was keeping up with very difficult tables when I had other tables to keep up with as well. My managers helped me realize that it's okay to ask for help things get overwhelming and it doesn't make me a bad server for not being able to do it on my own. The most enjoyable part about my job was meeting my regulars and getting to know them. I also really enjoyed the feeling of belonging I had working there. My co-workers and managers were like my family. As I said, Boston Pizza was like my home away from home.
Pros
50% discount, friendly staff contests/competitions, rewards/prizes, daily tips
Cons
long shifts, late hours, not knowing what your end time is (depending on how busy it is), normally slow unless there was an event happening at the MTS Centre
Enjoyable place to work with great staff.
Prep/Line Cook, Supervisor, Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BCJune 15, 2016
I have enjoyed my experience at Boston Pizza over the years. I have been at this job off and on for ten years. I found the people that you work with were fun and hard working. The management (for the most part) were friendly and understanding. Would go the extra mile if you had an issue or complaint. I was also surprised at how much the owners cared and were involved with the day to day in the store.
Pros
people, food, advancement potential
Cons
repetitive at times
Do not work here!
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 21, 2016
I was trained by someone who had been there for approximately 8 weeks; every time I made a mistake as a result of a lack of training, I had to deal with snarky management. My hours were less than 15 hours a week and in the morning, while it was slow. I once tried to pick up a closing shift but wasn't deemed "ready" to put up chairs, clean up, shut off lights, check bathrooms, etc...yet the new hostess who came in (they over-hire and then give you awful hours) got a closing shift right away. I could go on...
Great work family feeling
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ONApril 12, 2016
Boston pizza has a great family feeling amongst staff and customers. My favourite thing about working at Boston Pizza is how many regulars who come in on a daily/weekly basis. It makes work so much fun to see new faces that become familiar and familiar ones who become friends.. The hours were perfect and the management was so fair and supportive. They never punished employees for taking time off and made fair schedules that worked for all bartenders. I love the sports bar atmosphere, lively, upbeat and during big games, very fast pace.
Crazy busy workplace but still fun.
Dishwasher/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Fergus, ONApril 12, 2016
Typical day was quite enjoyable. Lots of friendly faces and loud laughter. I enjoyed how humorous everyone was and how everyone got along. The management was okay, could of been better. The hardest part of the job was (at times) keeping up with the dishes on the busier nights. Still wasn't too bad. I learned some cooking techniques also since I was in training in the kitchen some days, i also learned how to work in a stressful kitchen environment.
Pros
Free drinks to keep hydrated.
Cons
Stressful in the evening
Absolute s**thole
Server (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONMay 13, 2016
I love my staff and the people I work with with an exception of few but everything that goes on there is screaming for the Ministry of Labour. First aid kit hasn't been updated since 2012, I don't get paid for sitting and waiting to start then being sent home, they make you pay your own money if the till is short or you make a mistake, the list goes on and on. It's completely absurd and I really want to know if all other Boston Pizza's are like this...
Pros
Love my co-workers
Cons
Everything is highly illegal
Amazing Group of Staff
Server (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, ABMay 28, 2016
Since working here I feel like I've made life long friends. Serving is a great way to meet people, make money and you get to be yourself. My manager is a big reason I stay. I worked at a different location previously and didn't feel valued. My GM makes me feel like part of the team and that I'm an asset. She is super friendly and outgoing, she can turn a bad day into something special. I love working here!
Pros
Managers, food discount, free pop, hours
Cons
Hours, the uniform, angry guests
Franchise Rules
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJune 29, 2016
Training was good, and often. Staff was well managed. I learned everything I know about serving from my manager because she was a dedicated employee. Hardest part of the job were the bi-annual business reviews. Best part was the team atmosphere in preparing for those business reviews though. daily lunch specials were good which insured a busy day. Menu changes often, which brought in ne customers often.
Pros
consistent training
Cons
many rules to follow
Fun, busy, challenging
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MBMay 19, 2016
I started working as a bartender in 2010 and within 2 years I was moved my way up to General Manager.
When I took over as the GM the restaurant was in bad shape and scored an 8% in the business review and was almost shut down.
By the time I left we were consistently scoring a 97% on the business review. With my fantastic team, my dedication and hard work we were able to increase sales and keep the food and liquor costs within budget.
Pros
Bonus structure
Cons
staffing
Motel village, Dumpster fire
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 9, 2016
I can only speak for the motel village location as in general i love BP. Run by retired lawyers, finding every way to squeeze a dollar out of a building that should be condemned. Your place to go for black mold, mice, fruit flies in the liquor (a strainer fixes that) and chaotic delivery and service.
On the plus side if you take issue with the food or service trust that you'll likely not see that employee again as there are an average of 50 new hires per year, a revolving door of GMs, and the kitchen is mostly international hires on work permits.
Great atmosphere with valued employees
Server (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 1, 2016
Working at Boston Pizza has been a great experience for me. I connect well my co-workers, its almost as if they're my second family. The management is approachable and are efficient with the training system. Overall I feel that working for Boston Pizza has enhanced my skills in customer service and I would recommend them to any one looking for service in the restaurant industry.
Loved the environment and amazing co-workers
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 22, 2016
Going in to work didn't feel like a chore to me. I felt right at home as everyone was so happy and outgoing, we were like a family. My managers treated everyone amazing I have learned a lot from working here. For example, I feel a lot more open and outgoing with people. Sometimes a struggle would be dealing with unsatisfied customers but I have also learned how to handle that type of situation.
Terrible management
Manager of Operations (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJuly 16, 2016
The owners in Kingston give no cares about their staff. He is a liar and cheapskate. I worked as a manager there and he had asked me to book live entertainment. He then cancelled the band after they arrived and were set up ready to play. Then refused to pay them. I put in my notice and he then afterwards fired me saying that I was stealing when I absolutely was not. Do not work for these people.
Poor management
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Not enough hours. As a host we do the cleaning of tables and seat guests. Since they don't have busboys I feel like we should get a portion of tips every night. Management is not steady and constantly changing. You aren't aloud to clock in unless you ask a manager first and you can wait up to 30 mins for it to get busy or to be sent home. Complete waist of transportation money.
Pros
50 % off food, experience.
Cons
Not enough hours, unproffesional management, no bus boys
Great place to work, great people, great management, great owners, and great customers
Server / Food Service Worker / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bracebridge, ONFebruary 16, 2016
Always a great and up beat place to work! Hours were good and tips were even better! Boston pizza stands behind their employees and provides great things for those who work hard. Employees are great to work with.
Friendly and enthusiastic workplace environment.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 14, 2016
Seating guests in an enthusiastic manner and being responsible for takeout orders enabled me to excel in my communication and conflict-resolving skills.
Pros
Friendly working environment
Cons
Enjoyable workplace with great people
Waitress (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, ABDecember 7, 2015
Coming to work is sometimes a break from life. I really enjoy the people I work with and my regular customers. The work is hard some days but overall it is very fun. The management is very nice and they really care about you. My general manager always makes sure that you are ok and meets your scheduling requests to her best. I find that sometimes when we are under staffed the busy periods of the night can be tough; although, we work well as a team its is not always easy helping the guests. I really enjoy my regular customers and how they respond to me every time I greet them.
Great environment
Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONJune 4, 2016
People had great energy, and a very well maintained, and respectable environment to work in.

Didn't work here long, as I got offered a job in the field I would like to pursue a career in.

The people were wonderful, a day at work wasn't just a day at work. It was fun, because I worked with people I enjoyed working with. Was not a stressful work environment, and gained a lot of skills.
Fun Enviroment
FOH Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 30, 2016
Boston Pizza is an overall great company to work for. I've learnt many skills in the service industry. I love working with people, but a downside is dealing with customer complaints and still keep a positive attitude towards your day. Long hours and working well into the night is a downside and I want to gain a job with the availability to work during the day, Monday to Friday.

2.9