Boston Pizza Employee Reviews in Canada

Don't be a Hostess
Host (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 24, 2016
As a hostess, I sat people at tables, helped clean, and managed take-out and delivery orders.

I worked there for a year and a few months, and in that time period, I had 4 different general managers. This was frustrating because each manager had different ways of running things. Also, you had to "prove" yourself to each new manager.

I liked a lot of my co-workers, but not all. Some servers would expect you to do their work for them, i.e., clean all their tables, even if they weren't busy. Sometimes, servers would give me a $5 bill to bus their tables, but there were plenty of "slave drivers." Also, certain servers would constantly criticize the hosts, complaining about us double seating, even if it wasn't our fault. I had servers approach me before my shift saying, "No quadruple seating people, today," before I even sat them. While most of the kitchen workers were nice, there were a few who would yell at the front-of-house staff and get angry if you asked them for a sauce, etc.

The shift times were quite unpredictable. If it says your shift ends at 10, you probably won't end at 10. You'll probably be asked to leave at 9 or 8. If you have your own way of getting to work, this doesn't matter much, but it can be frustrating if you're relying on someone to give you a ride.

We got 10% off our food if we came in to eat. If we worked that day and decided to order something, we got 50% off, but only up to $6 off, so it wasn't phenomenal. I worked there over a year and never got a raise. There was a host who worked there for 2+ years and she never got one either.

The
  more... dress code was all black dress or shirt + skirt and 1-inch heels. I hated wearing heels and thought it wasn't fair that the men got to wear flat dress shoes and pants. There was a lot of walking involved, including up and down flights of stairs. My feet were almost always sore after my shift. A few of the servers wore flats and never seemed to get in trouble.

The hardest part of the job was probably dealing with difficult co-workers. Us hosts tended to get blamed for almost everything. It was frustrating when management kept you longer than your end-time. It was often unpleasant cleaning tables and high-chairs if their was food still on them. Most high chairs would have cold spaghetti, etc., stuck to them. Going to the dish-pit to drop off glasses/plates was also unpleasant because of the smell and the humidity.

I may return in the future to work as a server/bartender, but I would not recommend working as a host. You are taken for granted, heavily criticized, and are rarely applauded for your work.
Pros
Meal discounts, flexible schedule, tips, can sometimes leave early
Cons
Uncomfortable uniform, unpredictable shift times, quick turnover for managers, occasional unpleasant work
Productive and friendly work place
Hostess/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Westlock, ABJuly 19, 2016
As a hostess at Boston pizza I enjoyed what I did. Greeting and seating customers, taking drink orders, answering phones, cleaning the tables. I took pride in my position there. The best part of the job was talking to new people everyday and keeping myself busy.
My first official job
Scullery (Former Employee) –  Keswick, ONJuly 16, 2016
I've worked in a restaurant before but I didn't call it an actual "job".

But besides that the Boston pizza in Keswick has the best management everyone is super nice! It's a great place by far. And I'd love to go back. One thing that bothered me was the unpredictable hours.
Pros
Friendly staff/management
Cons
Unpredictable hours
Terrible management
Manager of Operations (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJuly 16, 2016
The owners in Kingston give no cares about their staff. He is a liar and cheapskate. I worked as a manager there and he had asked me to book live entertainment. He then cancelled the band after they arrived and were set up ready to play. Then refused to pay them. I put in my notice and he then afterwards fired me saying that I was stealing when I absolutely was not. Do not work for these people.
..........
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ONJuly 14, 2016
fast paced
a lot to learn
fun
rewarding
hardest part of job is multitasking so much but gets easier in time
enjoyable part is working hard to accomplish something good
Lively workplace with an always reliable crew
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Nelson, BCJuly 13, 2016
In morning shifts we would prepare all of the ingredients needed for the day. (cutting veggies, cooking meats, cooking pastas, making the dough,ect.) In the afternoon/night shifts would be the busy times where we would make the food as per the order, maintain clean stations and create the lists of the ingredients needed for the next day. As i was going to school in the mornings i was on night shift for the most part and would work the a designated line and supervise the workers and distribute breaks along with being a part of scheduling.
Enjoyable workplace takes pride in its employees
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 12, 2016
On a typical day my shift consisted of both lunch and dinner rushes which was very enjoyable. As my first serving job I learned to wait on tables, bartend, cash out VLT tickets and proper table maintenance. The hardest part of my job was tolerating unpleasant coworkers and trying to toss salads and maintain table maintenance. The most enjoyable part of my job was increasing regular clientele and ensuring to the best of my ability that all customers leave content and satisfied.
Pros
Free food/drink for staying or working longer.
Cons
Tossing Salads, unproffesional coworkers.
Great Workplace
Community Relations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Stouffville, ONJuly 12, 2016
Flexible, great management team, awesome atmosphere.

Coworkers were great people to work with

Overall awesome place to work
Boston Pizza is a best food serving Company in Canada.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJuly 10, 2016
I enjoyed to work with Boston Pizza for 15 months. I learned to work in a team work makes our work easy and gives us enjoyment, even others also like this. Our management was best management which help us and respect our job. Managers and Supervisors were very kind and co operative. My co workers in the kitchen were all good in nature and helping each others. Some times it was very busy day i.e. Saturday and Sunday we work very hard with joy. Really i enjoyed my life in doing the job with Boston Pizza at Fort McMurray. Today also my all staff members are reminding me. When i leave the job, they deny to go else where. I enjoy my first job in CANADA.

My overall experience with Boston Pizza was best. My Managers also gives me a reference letter showing my good work and efficiency.
Pros
Free launches
Bad workplace
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ONJuly 9, 2016
One of the worst jobs ive ever had. Managers were unfair and provided little help. You were expected to do lots of work by yourself.
Pros
rarely get food
Cons
long shifts
Boston Pizza
Food Preparation (Former Employee) –  Brossard, QCJuly 8, 2016
Busy in the kitchen good management. Flexible schedules was always appreciated. A lot of experience gained and good opportunities for growth!
My First Job: Bad Experience
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 30, 2016
I think my bad experience applies only to the location I worked at which is closed now. It was my first job and I did not have a good experience. My manager was always in the lounge section of the restaurant so I couldn't ask him about the things I needed help with (I was not 18 yet so I couldn't go in the lounge). I also was never informed about breaks, which could possibly be my fault, but I ended up working 8 hour shifts on Saturdays with no breaks. The Location closed a couple months after I started working and I stopped working at there when it closed. Other than that it was a pretty good job.
teaching place and overall a fun time
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKJune 29, 2016
- A typical day at work requires a positive attitude towards everyone, and dealing with public. The past 2 years at Boston Pizza has taught me so much about the work force, and about being a team member even when things get hard. I really enjoyed getting to know all the friendly co-workers and have created a life long friendship with many. The hardest part of working at Boston Pizza is not knowing when your going to done work, and working late nights. The most enjoyable part of working at Boston Pizza is all the friendly people coming and going and the people I got to know.
Franchise Rules
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJune 29, 2016
Training was good, and often. Staff was well managed. I learned everything I know about serving from my manager because she was a dedicated employee. Hardest part of the job were the bi-annual business reviews. Best part was the team atmosphere in preparing for those business reviews though. daily lunch specials were good which insured a busy day. Menu changes often, which brought in ne customers often.
Pros
consistent training
Cons
many rules to follow
Very Family Oriantated
Waitress/Cashier/Hostess/Expo (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 29, 2016
Going to work at Boston Pizza is an amazing experience. When first clocking in to clocking out, you always have a very supportive team of coworkers behind you making sure you did good and help you when needed. The management listens to exactly what you need and what ever problem you have they really care about why you feel this way and how to change it to meet your needs. The very high paced rushes at lunch and supper time must be the hardest part of his job but you learn how to think quick on your feet and get tasks done at a successful, organized and fast rate.
Pros
discounts, tips, good coworkers and mangement, organized environment
Cons
short hours
Fun busy place
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, ABJune 25, 2016
Learned team work and time management, enjoyed customer service, taking orders and delivering excellence liked that i was always busy doing something enjoyed the coworkers and some of the management
Good place to start serving
Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 23, 2016
I loved my job, loved the people I worked with, definitely have nothing to say bad about that. Now the manager was great at times, but other times not so much. I learned that I am a good server and I'm good at making people happy.
Host
Host (Former Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MBJune 23, 2016
Meeting new people and having customer service was an enjoyable experience and brought me out of my comfort zone by opening up and overcoming anxiety
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
relocated
Loved the environment and amazing co-workers
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 22, 2016
Going in to work didn't feel like a chore to me. I felt right at home as everyone was so happy and outgoing, we were like a family. My managers treated everyone amazing I have learned a lot from working here. For example, I feel a lot more open and outgoing with people. Sometimes a struggle would be dealing with unsatisfied customers but I have also learned how to handle that type of situation.
table tennis was the best thing
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLJune 21, 2016
I learnt a lot of cooking during these times. I improved and all the above companies helped play part in that. Getting into calley Hotel was a big ask and I am still very thankful to chef who gave me the opportunity.
ITC sonar is one of the best hotels in india. It is not less than a 7 star hotel.
Pros
free meals

2.9