Boston Pizza Employee Reviews

Amazing Experience, Exciting Day to Day
Community Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 January 2017
My experience as CRC at Boston Pizza was bittersweet. My day-to-day was always different. Planning for sporting events, fundraisers, community events, internal promotions, and managing the front of house.

The hardest part of the job was doing the job of the General Manager while maintaining my role goals. The expectations were unrealistic upon his hiring. I did my best to stay on top of everything, but the pay rate wasn't worth the dedication I had to the job.

Overall, Very happy with my 2 years with the company. They set us up for success from a head office perspective.
Pros
Free Meal, Community Connections
Cons
Low pay, Unrealistic expectations from management
Good place to make quick money
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Innisfail, AB8 February 2017
Management at my location was incredibly apathetic. Don't have high expectations on receiving praise or good training. However, my coworkers were great and I learned lots from them. This job doesn't pay well but if you do your job properly tips make up for it. You often get pushed to sell. Schedules are rarely out on time so you have very little time to plan your week. I had fun working here, it just could use some work.
Pros
50% off lunch during work hours, 15% Discount off work. Good tips.
Cons
On feet all day, Low wages, poor management.
an opinion
Kitchen Manager/Line cook (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON10 February 2017
The environment and scenery is nice, the technology advanced and opportunity for advancement there. But the culture between the employees is a bit hostile.
Pros
Discounts on Food
Cons
No work life balance
Fun, fast paced work environment that will keep you on your toes
Dining Room Manager/ Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 September 2016
I loved working for this company! One of my favorite jobs by far! I started here with no serving experience and quickly moved my way into management and then into upper management. I loved the crew I worked with, along with the job itself. Management was very easy to get along with as well as eager to teach me new things that I wanted to learn. The hours were long, and sometime took away from family time, but was a great sacrifice to be able to learn the things that I have and further my resume.
Pros
Regular guests, fun atmosphere
Cons
Long hours, mostly evenings
Great Atmosphere and A great Team Environment
ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON7 December 2016
I love working for Boston Pizza. The sports atmosphere is fantastic, tons of TV's, always a sports package, bartenders are observant and provide quick service. Food is exceptional, great team environment, conscientious servers/
Pros
Always hours available for pickup, staff are great, fun team and sports atmosphere
Cons
Long Hours, need competitive pay rates
Great company!
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON30 December 2016
Great environment and job culture. I had the opportunity to gain ideal social skills and connections in the community. The job allowed me to grow as a person and sustain a healthy work life balance.
Boston Pizza is a best food serving Company in Canada.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 July 2016
I enjoyed to work with Boston Pizza for 15 months. I learned to work in a team work makes our work easy and gives us enjoyment, even others also like this. Our management was best management which help us and respect our job. Managers and Supervisors were very kind and co operative. My co workers in the kitchen were all good in nature and helping each others. Some times it was very busy day i.e. Saturday and Sunday we work very hard with joy. Really i enjoyed my life in doing the job with Boston Pizza at Fort McMurray. Today also my all staff members are reminding me. When i leave the job, they deny to go else where. I enjoy my first job in CANADA.

My overall experience with Boston Pizza was best. My Managers also gives me a reference letter showing my good work and efficiency.
Pros
Free launches
I loved working at Boston Pizza
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Devon, AB11 December 2016
A typical day for myself would be starting work at 5 o'clock in the evening, organizing and cleaning my dish station, and then finishing the dishes from the lunch rush. At 8 o'clock I was allowed to order and eat my supper if I chose to, and then from 9 o'clock to 9:30, I would clean and pack up my station.

I learned two very important lessons: self-reliance, and duty.

My management was absolutely wonderful.

My co-workers were very hard workers, and for the waitresses, very beautiful women.

The hardest part of my job was quitting.

The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to serve such a fine and professional establishment.
Pros
Excellent management, 50% off meals while you're working as well as 15% off while you're not, and of course getting to work beside beautiful women
Cons
No full-time dish positions available
Enjoyable place to have worked
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 January 2017
I would usually work a 5-8 as a hostess. Depending on the amount of people in the restaurant sometimes I would stay late. I would always make sure that I was checking restrooms hourly, cleaning and resetting table as fast as I could, and seating people in a timely fashion, according to a seating plan. Management was there to oversee the hosts and make sure everything ran smoothly. Multiple managers were there on busy nights to make sure everything would go according to plan. Some days it was hard to keep up with the amount of people coming into the restaurant but these were also some of my favorite days as I enjoy an active work environment.
Pros
Friendly staff and employee discount
amazing management and team
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ON28 August 2016
I started working at BP in the end of May. in the middle of June my father passed and I left the country suddenly. BP GM and Regional Owner was so amazing and accommodating to my personal issue.
even working there the less than a month the staff is great and management team is outstanding. possibly the best management team I ever worked for.

I can't wait to be back and get my mind off the craziness.
Pros
management team, guests (kids)
Cons
Salary, beer fridge (haunts me lol)
good team, ran by different owners everywhere
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 January 2017
it is a good job that pays well if you stay with it but, benefits are tight, and sometimes management can be rough. they treat everybody well at first but they will get rid of you like nothing.
Pros
different everywhere
Cons
random shifts
Great Place To Work
Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB17 February 2017
I loved working here. The Staff is super friendly, everybody helps out one another and doesn't leave someone hanging, the food is super good, the service is great. A great place if anyone wants to start a career off in Culinary.
Pros
Good Tips
Cons
Long Hours
Avoid BP Oshawa!
Cook then Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON17 November 2016
This location is very poorly run. The owner does not care about her employees. The pay is low, and raises are extremely rare and take years to attain. I have worked with employees who have been the top dogs for years and still made minimum wage. Stress is often high because of the constant need to lower labour to meet the owners goals. This means many shifts being cut short, or being understaffed. Even with nearly everyone making minimum wage, labour has been a constant issue (in the owners eyes) for years... how can that be? Needless to say employee turnover is extremely high, even for a restaurant. I worked there just over a year ago, and there is only 5 of the same employees there, 4 servers and 1 cook, 2 of which have reduced to part time and probably work other better jobs.

The amount of terrible things happening I have been told about this place is immense. I cant be certain all are true but as there are so many things, I can only assume most of it is true. But I don't just need to be told these things because i was around for others. I have been told to extend the expirey date of expired foods so not be forced to throw them out during inspections, and continue to use. I have seen the owner pick food out of the garbage and make a cook use it and mix it with other prepped items.

If you're looking for a job, you're better off at just about any other restaurant in that area.
Cons
Low pay, high stress
Easy but boring workplace, poor management
Hostess & Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON18 January 2017
Management could have been improved, problems with paycheques and tippets were repeated occurrences. It is interesting to learn how a restaurant works however I think the hygiene of the workplace was poor. A typical day at work was pretty boring for the most part, as a host it was required to greet all guests and walk them to their tables. I also spent a good amount of time cleaning up after the servers (this was a result of poor organization), as well as resetting tables, cleaning bathrooms, etc. The people at work were interesting, most of them were nice and fun to engage conversation with, except a certain boss, who was rude majority of the time. The most enjoyable part of the job was easily the food, where the hardest part of the job was finding something to do as most of the time the restaurant was pretty inactive. Another difficult part of the job was that because the restaurant was so idle majority of the time, the hours were very short.
Pros
half off food
Cons
short hours
Welcoming and friendly
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan (various locations)22 January 2017
Work hard play harder
Love this job and would recommend it to anyone
Treated like family and make good tips
Love management and staff
Pros
Tips, 50% off staff meals
Cons
Long days on your feet when it's busy
Bad job
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON22 January 2017
Pay is fine, hours are terrible, work is exhausting/gross. Servers and management will probably treat you terribly but you are applying to be a dish washer so... y'know
Pros
Discount food
Cons
Long hours, job sucks in general
OK place to work
Kitchen line cook (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON1 February 2017
It's a good place to work while in school. Management can be nice. Co-workers are nice. Just wish there were benefits. Hours re not too bad. Not a good for long term
great management and work environment
Kitchen Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 October 2016
working everyday is a continuous learning process and dealing with different people at work is a matter of understanding cultures and differences.
Pros
lunches
Cons
Horrible management, great coworkers and customers
Server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 September 2016
A typical day at Boston Pizza would be not as busy as other restaurants. However, the customers were always a joy to serve. You got mainly laid back customers, who would leisurely enjoy their meals.

Management never listened to your schedule needs. I was scheduled during my class times.

Management never resolved issues well either and so in the end customers AND the staff left unhappy.

Coworkers were the greatest of all time. Training online was cool to see all employees (nationwide) comments.

The organization rewards employees for training or competing online on the training website, even after training is complete there is access to this portal.
They use this to reward you for reaching certain targets, like selling promotional items, so that's good.

Hardest part of the job was dealing with management who would always be gossiping or yelling at you. My coworker was told she's stupid by a manager, and the manager continued to say to everyone behind here back that "Why are pretty girls always so stupid". Manager would always discuss personal issues with the whole staff as well.

Boston Pizza is well connected with local charities and I really respect that and the morals of the company. Just certain locations ruin the reputation of such a great company.
Pros
discount on staff meals
Cons
Schedule was never made correctly, and i was scheduled while I had school
Enjoyable place to work with great staff.
Prep/Line Cook, Supervisor, Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC15 June 2016
I have enjoyed my experience at Boston Pizza over the years. I have been at this job off and on for ten years. I found the people that you work with were fun and hard working. The management (for the most part) were friendly and understanding. Would go the extra mile if you had an issue or complaint. I was also surprised at how much the owners cared and were involved with the day to day in the store.
Pros
people, food, advancement potential
Cons
repetitive at times