Bootlegger Employee Reviews

Worst management/co-workers/job work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB14 June 2016
My worst work experience ever by far. The only positive aspect of the job was the discounts you got on their clothing... Management was terrible as they did not offer proper training and they got super angry when I tried my best, most of the co-workers were immature and had a bad attitude even though they were older than me and acted very unprofessional...Not a good experience at all. I never felt I was good at the job even though I tried my best and followed the "training" they provided closely.
Benefits
Cons
Everything but the benefits
Fun place to work, but company has been restructured multiple times and generally doesn't value the point of contact employees
Management (Former Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC14 June 2016
Having been with the company for a number of years and gone through the opening and closing of a store or two, we found out just how valuable we were as store staff: Easily replaceable, poorly paid and expected to sell product that was not popular/in style.

The store's culture is what made everything livable (since the wages were barely over minimum). We had an amazing team in most of our stores and people enjoyed working with each other.

Head office employed a number of people that were very out of touch with current styles and trends on more then half of the merch we sold, so we would be constantly selling the same product year after year in different colors, which doesn't work well int he fashion/clothing industry.
The company has gone through three President/CEO's in the last three years.
Pros
Worked with good people, discount was good
Cons
No job security, Non-competitive wages, unrealistic expectations with poor product selection
Bootlegger
Part-time sales associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 April 2016
I love the staff at Bootlegger they are all amazing. The management is very kind and work very well adjusting my work schedule to my school schedule. Unfortunately they can not offer me the full time hours for them summer.
On a typical day I would help customers find what they need. I try to get everyone in those perfect jeans that make you feel amazing. I also work as a cashier at bootlegger or in the fitting rooms.
I always try to make a connection with my customers because I find I can really assist them if we have that connection.
Pros
management is amazing
Cons
not enough hours
Horrible place to work
Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL16 July 2016
A lot of hypocrisy regarding management and sales associates, shamed when you call in sick, impossible to get requested time off.
Management very unprofessional and refuses to do typical requirements of management such as hiring and firing and disciplining.
I'm sure with better management it would be a much better place to work.
Great management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 August 2016
Everyday was great since I was able to interact with new people, I enjoyed making people happy with simple compliments. I learned how to work with difficult people and I worked on my customer service skills.
Pros
Manager would always bring baked good for staff.
Cons
Some employees wouldn't make new employees feel welcome.
Good starting place to work at. Great job for learning customer service skills, and getting to work in the fashion industry
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Seaway Mall5 October 2016
Opportunities to make great connections with customers, room for growth, poor management
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 March 2016
When I go to work I help customers find merchandise that they are looking for, let them in to fitting rooms, grab more sizes if they need it, and I am also a cashier there. The staff is very team oriented which is super helpful, but the store manager only gives negative feedback and is very passive aggressive which can make it difficult to maintain a positive attitude. I love the fact that I can connect with customers and help them find what they are looking for. Over all it is a Decent place to work at, but the store manager is negative and doesn't take responsibility for her own actions.
Great, friendly place to work
Full time Shift manager (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB13 April 2014
A typical day at Bootlegger was always productive. There were slow days but we always made the most of our time, usually by cleaning, organizing, etc. In my time there I learned a lot about customers and their individual need as well as my own. I was able to work on time management and prioritizing, My management team was more then supportive and we all worked with constructive criticism.
My co-workers were possibly my favorite part of my job as we all worked together very well. I also found that the customers could either make my day or ruin it but my co-workers could always make me happy there.
Pros
Benefits, social aspect
Cons
Keeping up-to-date on clothing
Hard working and fun co-workers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB5 July 2016
A typical day at work with fun, hardworking co-workers. good-training, work is easy to learn. There's always work to be done, assistant manager is awesome
Great Place
Associate (Current Employee) –  Balzac, AB7 June 2016
Everyone is friendly, can be a fast paced environment. Staff are knowledgeable and willing to teach the new staff what to do and how to do it. Joking lots but serious when it needs to be
Fun place to meet new people and stay on your feet
Customer Service and Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB2 December 2013
A typical day at work consisted of providing customer service to those looking to buy new clothes for themselves or as a gift. We had help the customer find the outfit or clothing piece they were looking for and also try to sell additional items on the side to raise our selling scores. The managers were very encouraging and optimistic. The hardest party of the job was to try and deal with standing all day long.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Shift work
Great place to network and develop
Team leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 February 2016
Bootlegger is a place that allows you to be your genuine self in an open and honest environment. It has room for growth within the store and has many learning/coaching opportunities.
Pros
Discount and culture
Productive, energetic, encouraging environment to work in
Sales Consultant/Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL1 March 2016
A typical shift at bootlegger would consist of greeting customers, making a connection, building rapport, asking discovery questions to determine customer needs. Building the best solution for the customer. Co-workers loved working there, as did I. The shifts were always fun and never felt like "work".
Fun workplace
Sales associate - Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 April 2016
Folding products and selling the merchandise while advising customers what outfits go with the accessorizes that we sell in the shop
Pros
staff were nice
Cons
only five hour days
Fun Place to work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2016
Great place to work, co-workers all get along, enjoy going to work, never want to leave. Learned customer service skills, including how to connect with customers personally to help them to maximum potential.
Fun and enthusiastic work enviornment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pickering,ON31 July 2014
As a Bootlegger employer I have learned a lot about product knowledge and the affect it has on your sales. A typical day includes, informing customers on weekly promotions, new merchandise, and membership opportunities to increase the chance of catching great deals in the store. The management team does an excellent job encouraging the team to meet daily goals. To help encourage us, management usually does challenges ie; who can sell the most denim during their shift. These challenges usually result in a prize which motivates us to get to the customers and sell, sell, sell! The hardest part of the job is getting customers to find reason in the price but after getting them in the change room they see the quality of the clothing. My favourite part of working is interacting with a variety of people on daily basis and having fun at work with my enthusiastic co workers.
Productive & Fun Place To Work
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB5 November 2015
a typical day at this job for myself would be communicating with the public/customers. Working with different group of people everyday was nice, the hardest part of the job was trying to figure out the best fit and outfit for my customers as just going by what they chose for the change room and by how they acted.
Horrible management
Sales (Former Employee) –  British Columbia29 September 2015
Management needs to be adjusted. They are unfair and trash talk about their employees to other employees. Manager threatened to have me never work in retail again after I called in sick after quitting
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Horrible management, high expectations
Fun place to work with new challenges every day
Shift Manager/Visual/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 December 2014
A typical day at Bootlegger consists of providing excellent customer service and building a memorable rapport with our clients. Creating new looks and working with visual components to portray the latest trends and showcase product lines. The management is still in the process of putting together a great team but I have no doubts it will all work out. The co-workers were diverse and fun to be around, they really contributed to the atmosphere of the store as a whole; friendly faces and colourful personalities. Overall the role in which i filled challenged me daily and gave me the drive to succeed and learn new things. I would have to say that the best part of my job was building a relationship with customers and having the satisfaction of knowing I made an impression and assisted in meeting their needs as a fellow consumer.
Great selling environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 June 2015
A typical day at work would depend on the day it was. Weekends were much busier then weekdays, as southcenter mall is one of the slow malls. I learned how to sell in retail, and to give customers a great experience with my help and understanding. The management was very great and understanding as well as the co-workers. This is one of the best jobs I have had, and suits me well
Pros
great discount and flexible hours

2.8