Bonnyville Forest Nursery is a full service nursery with producing capacity of over 15 million container seedlings annually for reforestation, afforestation, reclamation and landscape planting throughout Western Canada. We grow many stock types of coniferous and deciduous trees, shrubs, grasses and hardy woody fruit plants. Our services include seed collection and processing, tissue culture, stock production, frozen stock storage and reforestation planting. We are currently seeking to add a highly motivated individual to our dynamic and growing organization.
This individual will be responsible for the smooth operations of the Nursery and will report directly to the Nursery Manager. The successful candidate must have a passion to work in the horticultural industry and is willing to apply their experience to reforest and reclaim western Alberta’s boreal forest.
Summary of Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
- Determine the environmental conditions to grow selected seedlings, set planting and care schedules accordingly.
- Hire, train and supervise staff.
- Supervise staff in planting, transplanting, pruning, feeding and spraying plants.
- Accurately track and maintain crop inventories.
- Maintain and analyze productivity and stock quality and create strategies for continuous improvements.
- Develop and implement pest management plans for the nursery when needed.
- Order equipment and supplies.
- Enforce the Company’s safety regulations and policies.
- Prepare and adhere to budgets and maintain records.
- Degree or Diploma in Forestry, Agriculture, Horticulture or a related science.
- Minimum of five (5) years nursery related experience.
- Intermediate computer and associated software skills.
- Strong and effective leadership skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, problem- solving and verbal/written communication skills.
- Strong interest in growing trees with an attention to details.
- Ability to work under pressure, deal with multiple deadlines, effectively handle stressful situations and work with minimal direction/supervision.
- Understand and has a commitment to service excellence in dealing with internal and external clients.
- Valid driver’s license.
The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. A competitive compensation package will be offered commensurate with the candidate’s knowledge, skills and experience.
We thank all candidates for applying, however, only those shortlisted will be contacted.
Indeed - 4 months ago
copy to clipboard
Bonnyville Forest Nursery is a full service nursery with producing capacity of over 15 million container seedlings for reforestation,...