Bombardier

Bombardier Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good entry-level experience
Human Resources Representative (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONNovember 5, 2015
Pros: Supportive boss and peers
Cons: Minimal training, long hours due to high workload
A typical day at work would involve juggling a large volume and variety of tasks. I was the primary contact for general inquiries and issues - especially pay issues - often leading to an investigation to solve the problem at hand. I would run various reports for HR and operations both on a scheduled basis or on demand, depending on the report. This was the bulk of my day-to-day, however I always had one or more projects to work on in addition to this.

Depending on the volume of work being handled by the department, I would also be called upon to support recruitment and labour relations.

This position allowed me to hone my customer service skills in a higher-pressure environment than I had experienced in the past. It also gave me entry-level exposure to nearly all core facets of HR. It also afforded me experience supporting the change management process, as the company was in a transitory period in which numerous policies and processes were being overhauled, one of which was the introduction of a centralized Shared Services Organization.

My co-workers were friendly and supportive of my learning curve, and were trusting of my support to call on me when needed. One problem however, because of the high demands on the department compared to the actual size of the department, they were not always as available as I would have liked.

There were two difficult aspects of the job, with the first being that there was very little training to prepare me for what I would face on the job. The second is that the high workload resulted in an average of 10-hour work days (sometimes – more... longer) and often made it difficult for my peers in the HR department to meet and connect as often as we wanted to.

The most enjoyable aspect of the job for me was that I was able to get this experience and exposure to various aspects of the HR field. It was also a gratifying experience to be able to resolve employees' issues for them.

Ultimately I chose to leave this position so that I could pursue a high-level position and establish myself above an entry-level position in HR. Unfortunately the job market is not very healthy in Thunder Bay, so I decided to relocate to Waterloo to be closer to more opportunities. – less
good working environment
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioDecember 25, 2014
Pros: incentive
Cons: long hours
Fun environment to work:
• Provide organization and administrative support to Operations Directors, and their management team encompassing >500 employees. Gained knowledge of, Operations, Flight Compartment, Wing, Fabrication, Electrical Shop, Pre-Flight, Paint and Label Shop Operations. (i.e. KPI, SQPHCA) etc.
• Develop and share a high level of knowledge of the SAP MM system and utilize the ERP to manage Resource Management, Information Updates, Production Functions, and Creation of PO’s for Costs and Contractors.
• Manage Directors’ schedule, book appointments and coordinate meetings and functions. Process and coordinate correspondence, memos, faxes, photocopying and couriers. Prepare a variety of correspondence; prepare material for reports, presentation and charts. Responsible for reconciliation of credit card purchases.
• Maintain and process up-to-date records for the department (attendance, travel expenses, processing of SAP requisitions, budget and vacation). Coordinate travel arrangements and expense reports; maintain filing system.
• Assist in the input and maintenance of information for a budget in excess of $20-25 Million per annum.
Key Achievements:
• Gained a reputation as an Admin Professional who is always willing to help. Often pick up additional functions in order to support overall productivity of the team and ensure that the Directors are able to meet their objectives.
• Assist senior management with technology issues and share best practices regarding internal applications and systems. Help stakeholders manage costs through the creation of a one-page manual – more... to demonstrate proper online functions.
***Learned to multi-task efficiently in a bust work environment. – less
So sad a great company has been ruined by bad management philosphy and decissions
Customer Project Manager (Former Employee), Montreal CanadaAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Due to my involvement with VIP customes I did have great experiences when dealing with them.
Cons: Very little personal life, health care reductions, salary cuts, no employee representation.
A typical day at work was high paced and repetitive issues being addressed due to micro management.

What I learned was self taught or learned from other workers. For years Bombardier has had no funds to support employee training.

Management is very silo oriented. In short they do not look at the big picture but more the inner department profits. Some might say If the department is making money so is the company. However in many cases the department made nickels while the company lost millions.

Co-workers were fantastic. I was always lucky to be surrounded by professional co-workers who tried their utmost to get the job done.

The hardest part of the job was the micro managing of everything. This slowed down projects as well as frustrated many employees who wanted to get things done. As well over the years it was clear the company did not cover the cost of living increase with their raises. Hence every year you worked you were paid less. Human Resources quote to employees was " Well at least you have a job".

For me the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting interesting people in all parts of the world.
Great Place to Work
DIRECTOR, CUSTOMER SERVICES AND SUPPORT, CSERIES (Current Employee), Montreal, QCJuly 5, 2012
Pros: large company
Cons: large company
Bombardier is the world’s only manufacturer of both planes and trains. Looking far ahead while delivering now, Bombardier is evolving mobility worldwide and making it easier for people to connect with one another.

However people choose to travel, they’ll find a Bombardier product ready to transport them. Our vast offering of products includes high speed trains, public transit that’s smarter than ever, category-defining business jets and commercial aircraft designed for the realities of today.

Bombardier answers the call for more efficient, sustainable and enjoyable transportation everywhere. Our vehicles, services and, most of all, our employees are what make us a global leader in transportation. We partner with customers, local organizations and all stakeholders to help build communities and improve quality of life wherever we do business.

Bombardier is present in more than 60 countries, with 76 production and engineering sites among them. Our 70,000 employees push mobility forward by creating aerospace and rail transportation products adapted for the travellers of today and tomorrow.

Bombardier is headquartered in Montréal, Canada.
Busy working environment, but fun to be part of
Senior Inventory Contoller. (Current Employee), Various location.Derby UK & Thunder Bay Ontario CADecember 27, 2012
The working day flys by as there is always so much to do. I enjoy and thrive on this challenge. Each day is different. With differing challanges and out comes. From production floor to our suppliers.
Most co workers are good fun to work with others can be troublesome but I work around the issues, so we all get the job done.
Hardest part of the job is keeping all the other departments happy and working together. It is a challenge but I enjoy working through problems with others and getting the outcome we all want.
I enjoy most aspects of my job, helping and looking after my staff is a key point. Seeing the finished product come of the line and be sold always gives me pride as I know that myself and my team have played a big part in that

One of the biggest things I have learnt with the job is to listen to people, not to take things personally and to plan a job well. Sharing the responsabilites where needed and support where needed. Don't try to do everything my self.

My time in Thunder Bay Ontario Canada as warehouse supervisor proved a life changing experience for me, working in a new environment with new challenges. All which I thrived on. I enjoyed a challenge.
It is nice company & I took a good experience
Emergency service officer (Current Employee), North York, ONNovember 30, 2014
Emergency service officer in Bombardier, Toronto site 2013 -present
 Provided Emergency Response and security protection of the site which included Medical, Hazardous Materials, Fire Fighting, Security incidents
 Conducted extensive patrols of interior and exterior parts of the plant including the Aircraft Hangars and all parking lots
 Conducted access control to assist employees who forgot there key’s or required access for company business.
 Conducted extensive patrols of the runway and surrounding perimeter area
 Secure all the Passengers form arrival to departure
 Trained as an Emergency Dispatcher, initiated emergency response by team, Checked CCTV Camera’s for investigation. Conducted badge access and control.
 Weekly inspection of the on-site Fire Pumps(electronic_gasoline ) as well as the fire panel and extinguisher
 Conducted vehicle inspection when employees or contractors would arrive or leave site
 Typed up investigation reports for Vandalism, Medical, Hazardous Materials and Fire response Report’s for incidents that happened on site.
Bombardier
Sr. Quality Project Manager, Lead (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 4, 2014
Pros: teamwork, freindly atmosphere
Cons: lake of management style and skills, lake of job security
My workplace is really friendly, easy going and fact pace.
All teammate are involve on daily tasks, meetings, erviewing KPIs and problem solving. There is no individual who works independatly.
The management try so hard during any challenged stay on top of the issue but the major issue is that they are suffering lake of academic knowledge.
Currentlly, Bombardier is implementing new program which get dictated frm Montreal. Unfortunately, the compnay is suffering due to the sales market and Cash flow is not enough to keep the compnay up on the market and at the same time keep employee safe at the workplace. Anyday, layoff may happen; This is the hardest part of job that feel not to be secure.
The most enjoyable part is people. People at bombardier starting form production floor, different functions, roles are amazing. They have working hand and helping hands. we don't have proper training structure at the bombardier but all senior peopr are willing to transfer their knowledge and experience.
Challenging Job with Good Team work and Excellent Scope to Learn.
Stress and Damage Tolerance Analyst (Current Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 21, 2014
Pros: flexible hours, excellent team work.
Cons: peak winter.
Currently working in In-Service Engineering Structures Dept. My work primarily involves engineering support for repairs for Regional Aircrafts (CRJ 200/700/900/1000). The tasks include Static and Damage tolerance/Fatigue Analysis substantiation for the Urgent and AOG repairs.

The group am currently working are very co-operative and share their valuable experience for a result oriented approach towards the task.

My hardest part of the job is I am trying to keep up with my French language skills as the company is Bi-lingual. I understand most of the French meetings and good in short conversations but would like to improve my fluency in French.

The enjoyable part of the job is, the work includes a high volume of repair calls with varying repair issues and there is a great scope to work on the complete structure of an aircraft. The work is fast paced and gives an opportunity to deliver quality performance under pressure.
Great company to work with
Office Agent (Former Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 2, 2012
Perform project administrative functions by gathering project deliverables from various internal & external groups and entering them in department database.

Responsible for generating & maintaining department purchase orders, as per company policy, for work sent out to external suppliers.

Negotiate prices with external suppliers for services provided to the department.

Provide assistance to the Project Manager by reserving, screening, & releasing project deliverable reports in department database.

Provide customer service to internal & external Bombardier clients who required drawings & reports.

Involved with continuous improvement projects within the group to improve department processes as part of Achieving Excellence initiative by the company.

Worked with team in establishing measurement metrics to support company’s initiative of creating a safe & rewarding workplace as part of Achieving Excellence.

Create & maintain databases in Excel
Avoid this place if you can
Engineer (Former Employee), TorontoNovember 27, 2014
Pros: its a paycheck
Cons: everything
-New graduates with little to no experience are "promoted" to lead several projects - essentially because they are "yes" men.
-Identifying problems and recommending solutions will lead you to be placed in a stagnant area
-Work/Life balance does not exist. Bombardier wants your soul
-Salary is not commensurate with the responsibilities given
-Job security does not exist anywhere, especially at Bombardier
-Management are of the form of yes men or bull in a china shop. Very few quality managers left - they have all moved on to seek better opportunities
-Job culture: if you have a knife and know how to stab people in the back - you are golden.

Avoid this place if you can. Look at their track record, assess their stock price, assess what their leadership publicly state versus the actions. Bombardier may have been a great place - it is now a toxic toilet, run by the same leaders that bankrupt GM. Don't forget, it is a family owned firm.
Amazing place to work at and grow!
Administrative Assistant/Assistant to Director (Current Employee), Montréal, QCJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: great benefit package
Cons: mirabel office is a little far from montreal (and colder)
8 hour day normally - multitasking between email screening, director's agenda updates, varied employees' requests, meetings, tracking of expense reports for a team...
I learned so many things but mostly to be flexible...every day is different, every day I learn something new. You must adapt to any given situation.. and/or staff member.
I have a great director (2 now!) I am busy but they are very understanding and support me when I need.
I can always get help from my co-workers. Team work is Mandatory! Essential.
Hardest part is not knowing everything... everyday I need to dig or ask someone for information. There is always a new process I wasn't aware of.
It is also the enjoyable part of the job - it makes it more interesting...always something new to learn and I love it! It's like a mini-challenge every single day.
Dynamic work environment
Supervisor Engineering Group (Former Employee), DorvalMay 12, 2015
Pros: Environment, People and the work.
Cons: The ending
- A typical day consisted of supervising a group of 30 mechanical Completions Designers/ Contractors. Hiring/ firing employees distributing, checking, correcting, approving and supervising their work.
- I learned that responsibility ultimately falls to he who is least responsible.
- Management was liquid. I supervised because the two previous supervisors went on a well deserved stress leave. I only knew our new Director for a couple of weeks. He never asked my opinion for anything.
- My co-workers, for the most part, were hardworking, knowledgeable, enthusiastic and enjoyable. Near the end management brought in a new bunch from the new director`s last program to replace us.
- The hardest part of the job was lack of support and communication from management.
- The most enjoyable part was dynamic environment and a job I thrived in.
Only thing good is MONEY
Structure Assembler (Former Employee), DownsviewMay 6, 2015
Pros: Good Pay and Benefits
Cons: Everything else
If you love money, then this place is for you. However, if you want more than that. Like appreciation, morale, family time. Not for you. This place has the worst management I've seen in my 10 years of aerospace experience. Nobody cares about how hard you work. They'll push you everyday to your limits. When they want you they will massively hire people. When the job is done. Massively layoff or fire people. 90% of the people there don't deserve to be there because of lack of experience. They are there because of connections. I've learned to find a job that you like and have people around you that appreciates you of what you do. Money becomes such a big thing in there you will eventually do 2-4 hours of overtime a day and weekends beacuse that's the culture there. Eventually lose your families and loved ones because you have no time to spend with them.
Co workers are great managemet sucks
Electrical and Mechanical Finisher (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONApril 26, 2013
Pros: great co- workers on the floor
Cons: management are morons, discrimanition big time
The company overall does not care about their employees. The management in the Thunder Bay, On location has little to be desired. It is a poorly run company that blames the floor workers for cars not being delivered on time when it a parts supply problem. accounting is not paying the bills so suppliers not delivering the parts. Employees are disgruntled, and management is out of control. Discrimation is big in this company. If you get hurt and loose your seniority you will never be rehired. If you rock the boat what so ever (complain about safty problems) the company will try to get rid of you at any cost. Then they will lie about you if called for a job referance. Would not work there again if it was the last place on earth that would give me a job. The pay is also poor.
A place to learn and develop your skill sets.
Mechanical Technician (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 3, 2016
Pros: Training
Cons: Low Qualifications on hiring
Not a bad place to work and grow. With the right attitude, you can excel. I'm currently in the Transportation PM and Overhauling of the Locomotives and Coaches. I am relatively a new employee and I can see they are in the process of change. Change management, tighten their belts and philosophies. I can see they are also struggling with delivering the new way of thinking as most companies do. They are still in a transitional stage to turn a new leaf. But overall all this part of the business seems fairly strong and secure. With the right people at the helm, it has potential for additional growth.
On the negative side, I believe that they need to exercise more due diligence for their new hires and bring on people with better qualifications.
Great experience
Manufacturing Supervisor (Current Employee), Dorval, QCNovember 10, 2015
Pros: Great product, Great team
Cons: Current share value, Excessive job loss
Bombardier is a great place to work. As a supervisor I start my day with a kick-off to clarify our priorities to my 30 direct labour employees. My French oral and written skills have improved through the internal francization program; it is a lot of fun learning a second language. The management team is great, easy going team in a high paced environment. My co-workers are cool too; we share the roles to sustain the woodshop's structure. The hardest part of the job over the past few months is, unfortunately the reduction in sales due to the current market is causing many job losses for our skilled unionized employees. The best part of my job is being involved in projects as well as working with my team of direct labour employees.
Outstanding Learning Experience
Operations & Maintenance Planner (Current Employee), Kingston, ONOctober 30, 2015
Pros: Freedom to make recommendations for improvement of existing coniditions
Cons: Not being the industry leader.
Bombardier has provided me the opportunity to learn and grow my skillset. I have had to adapt to rapid changes in strategies, methodologies and management. My most enjoyable and memorable experiences have been field-related wherein I have been entrusted to utilize my experience, contributing to the success of numerous projects. During my multi-faceted tenure at BT I have been fortunate to have been appointed to T&C commissioning teams, performed various safety, control centre and track evaluation audits to assess the status of existing conditions and to assist in the development of new strategies, remedial actions, designs and rules compliance.
terrible place to work
permanent employee (Former Employee), MontrealApril 26, 2012
Pros: good salary
Cons: very dipressing enviroment
I worked for 18 yrs,the whole time I was depressed,very much discriminated from the French Canadian colleagues,The management and the HR were doing nothing to improve the situation.
I was harassed constantly from my boss,abuse verbally,bullied....total mess.
You constantly have to look over your shoulder because you never know who is going to back stub you.
We were not allowed to take our sick days and if we had to take them we had to speak with the boss.
We were observed from the boss how long we talk on the phone.
I was so much diminished in this company that I hate them all.
I know allot of other people that are feeling this way and their life is being totally distorted because of the constant difficult conditions we were faced for so long.
Good stable employment
Project Engineering Intern (Former Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 26, 2013
Pros: services in the buildings - gym and etc
Cons: monotony and repetitiveness of the tasks
The tasks are routine-based, which means that the schedule tends to be stable. The company policy on overtime is "give-and-take" which means that, depending on the workload, some weeks you can do 2-3 hours less, some weeks 2-3 more. Culture of flexibility for appointments and other realities of life. Family-oriented spirit. In some aspects the tasks can be almost monotonous and extremely repetitive, however that is a personal preference - different people have different personalities that thrive in different work environments.
Also most buildings have a lot of services such as a gym, cafeteria, souvenir-shop, and even a dry cleaner/seamstress.
Supervisor was worst I ever worked for
just some temp (Former Employee), Richmond...horseshoe wayOctober 15, 2013
Cons: 10 minute drive to work.
Simple warehouse job pick and pack. Supervisor's mood was dictated how he did gambling on NFL or whatever. Usually hung over Monday morning. Just disappeared into the office. Came out after break and would just stand there and smell like booze and curry. Co-workers were awesome but was a revolving door with the temps as supervisor would abuse them. "Hey temp. come here". The full time guys would lose complete engines, yet abuse the temps for a small mistake. Should be an easy place to work but supervisor would do nothing or stand there barking at people. No one respected him as he just had a heavy hand. No supervisory skills whatsoever. I would be surprised if he is still there...BRP Richmond...horseshoe way
Headquarters