Boathouse Employee Review

Awful place.
Keyholder. (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, Alberta2 April 2013
I used to work for this company a month and a half ago. I quit because of the management, and soon after I left, 5-6 kids followed right behind me, going out and finding new jobs because of the management and the way they treat their employees. I recently went in awhile ago to see the old staff that I used to work with, the manager tried kicking me out while I was shopping for a bathing suit, and kept trying to make sure that nobody would help me. Once someone put me in the change room, I tried my stuff on and heard the district manager in the back saying that myself and two other girls we're the "biggest beotch" and that we we're talking badly about her. When I worked there, paydays would never be done correctly, boathouse would have to do payroll audts in order for them to make sure everyone got paid correctly. But they would only do the payroll audt if someone threatned to bring in labor standards to evaulate the work place. I've seen plenty of kids get written up because the store is slow on a certain day, and they dont make enough sales so they give them a write up. They say that write-up's help build a person, but all they use them for is for 3 write ups and your gone. They gave me a write up because a father of a past employee had called about his daughter not getting paid, I told them that i'd call the head office and find out about it, but head office couldnt do anything until Tuesday. I called the father back and explained it to him, he said okay and asked for head offices number for the Tuesday and asked for the district managers number incase nothing happened on  more... Tuesday. Soon after I got a call while I was on my days off saying that I didn't deal with the sitatution correctly and that I supposed to be given my final notice writeup. I was very upset about this, because Head office deals with payrolls, not full time employees. The reason i got blaimed for this, was because the district manager didn't EVER want to deal with peoples parents. She always expected keyholders or full time people to do it, not her. They always try to get you to buy promotional items to keep their UPT above 2. If it dosent stay above two for the week, you get written up. I would have to say. Another big problem, if your applying for part time be aware you'll probably only get 1-2 shifts a week if your lucky. When i worked at Boathouse, we had 18 part time kids and 5 full time people. Part time kids we're always upset because they would either get 1 shift, some would even get none. Plus working with tons of highschool kids brings on plenty of drama, which makes the enviorment that much worse to work in. Boathouse has been the worst company I've ever worked for. and I'd advise anyone looking for a job to go apply anywhere else but here! This has got to be the worst place, ever!  less
Pros
discount
Cons
management, rude people.

Other Boathouse Employee Reviews

Overall
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB30 November 2017
Overall, the people that I worked around were fantastic and supportive. The management was not. They seemed more so out for their own good and not the good of the company or the employees.
Pros
discount, people, culture
Cons
long hours, unsupportive
Fun, Friendly work place
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC29 November 2017
From what I remember Boathouse was a lot of Folding, Till, and Late night inventory with awesome co workers. Boathouse helped me build a lot of customer service skills and taught me not all customers are happy to be in the store.
Pros
fun, great hours
Cons
holidays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boathouse. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9