Boathouse Employee Reviews

Company needs major work.
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 September 2017
Company needs work with efficiency and the way it handles it's employees. Terrible regional management. Spending money on clothing we were over stocked on as well. Regional will not accept your direction on a certain project regardless if it is more efficient and suited for your store. Closing tills takes years as there are tasks that are unnecessary. Salaries for roles above sales associate are extremely underpaid for the amount of responsibility and work that they must do. Major changes to both attitude and protocol must occur with this company as a whole.
Pros
Nice coworkers, discount isn't bad
Cons
Salary, Higher management, and lack of efficiency
Overall enjoyed working with Boathouse
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 September 2017
Enjoyed working at Boathouse I got to use my skills as a manager at a different level. Really use teamwork and organization. Being able to meet deadlines and monthly paperwork. I loved working with the staff and got along with all of them. Teaching the staff new selling techniques to help build up sales when our budget was low.
Great for Part-Time, Not for Full
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 September 2017
Boathouse has a great training program for teaching beginners the ins and outs of retail. The staff of the store are all friendly and wonderful to be around. It's a great place for high-school or college students to work.

If you're looking to work here as your main job, I would not advise it however. There is no option for advancement and there has been a few incidents of people being trained for higher positions without getting the pay to compensate. Even if you work full-time hours, you will not be considered for full-time benefits. Due to this, you do not have sick days and it is near impossible to schedule a life around work because the hours are very sporadic.

Outside of that, management is wonderful and easy to work with. It has a very laid-back feel to it and you are well-trained to play your part.
Pros
Wonderful training program
Cons
Sporadic and few hours
decent place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON15 September 2017
A normal clothing retail store, similar to many others. Job always depends on the manager for each specific store, sometimes a manager will use personal bias while hiring which isnt the best though.
Awesome
Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 September 2017
Fantastic people that make up the team at boathouse. It is a super awesome environment to work in as they are very supportive of everyone and their unique creativeness. The managers are great, very supportive and caring about how their employees feel at and outside of work.
Pros
awesome people
Cons
not enough hours
productive
Respecting visual merchandising standards (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON2 August 2017
A very friendly workplace, and always productive and eager to reach goals. Most enjoyable parts of the job consists of talking to customers and helping out customers.
Really open fun environment
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON28 June 2017
Boathouse is a really kind environment that allows you to be and express yourself openly. Everyone's main focus is towards the store and making sure it does well, so they prefer you ask questions to get tasks done faster rather than you struggle on your own and take extra time.
Pros
Really understanding, caring environment
Productive and fun workplace environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 May 2017
I spent about a year and a half working here, and for the most part it's been an amazing time. The hours are flexible and the people make you feel like you belong there. Management has been a downside regarding drama towards employees and such, but other than that I've really enjoyed working there!
Pros
Flexible time, Great People, Discounts
Work Place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON18 April 2017
Lots of interactions with customers. You learn how to talk and help customers in a rightful manner. I've learned that its easier to get along with coworkers and if you give them the treatment that you want back.
Pros
A healthy work environment
Cons
Short Hours
Boss was awful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 April 2017
In the interview process I explained to her I would need to take a week off to visit my grandparents however after being hired and reminding her off this she threatened my job telling me if I go I either need to seek approval from the regional manager or quit. Ultimately I did not like receiving ultimatums.
Just not what you would expect f
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON30 March 2017
Management does not care about employees, staff is over worked under paid and expected to hit unrealistic bench marks. They hassle about LP conditions but do not offer cameras and security gate maintenance when asked for.
Its a nice job
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON23 February 2017
BoatHouse was a great job to work at until management changed. Hours were good and the people were fun. Not an overly professional place but very laid back.
Pros
Fun time with co-workers
Cons
Managment was very unprofetional
Terrible company to work for!!!!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 February 2017
Absolutely worst company to work for, they show no appreciation and have all the wrong people in the wrong positions. They treat there staff horribly and get away with it. It has the highest turnover rate I have ever seen in a retail company before. I do NOT reccomend working for this company.
Pros
Cons
Terrible Manegment
It was a good experience for a first part-time job
Part-time sales (Former Employee) –  Rocky View, AB31 January 2017
Overall it was a nice place to work, getting to communicate with customers, and help them out, also giving responsibility within the store. At the time I was working the management wasn't the best, resulting in personal/mental issues in the management of that store. I learned so much working there being able to use some of what I learned in my day-to-day life, for example communicating with strangers, and working as a team on the floor. But all in all I loved working there and most of the staff was great to work with.
A great place to work and make friends.
Part-time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 January 2017
At Boathouse, co-workers are more than co-workers. They're friends. Management is the mediator that ensures employees are having fun while completing the goals set by head office. It's a family.
Very Good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON12 January 2017
Great place with a great staff. Can become monotonous but that is the same for any retail job. You must require a good attitude, and needs to be hard-working. I think that it is a good place for a first job, because, they set you goals and you must achieve these goals. this can help later in life. Would highly recommend.
Life at Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK15 November 2016
honestly loved the environment i was working in, the management and staff were amazing to work with and easy to get along with.
the work wasn't hard but the work pace was fast with sales and stock.
Pros
great staff, good pay, chance of advancement, good benefits
Perfect
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON1 October 2016
Very fun atmosphere, mangers were very approachable and the business was pretty good. I had a decent amount of hours and worked what I wanted to work.
fun work environment
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 September 2016
fun place to work to meet great people , but lots of conflict between co workers. i worked there for a long time and enjoyed it until new managers were getting hired and they were rude.
Great part time job for young adults to pursue
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB31 July 2016
Boathouse is a great and friendly workplace that teaches you much about the skills needed to become a sales associate. The people i work with are very friendly, and the management is awesome. the hardest part of the job would be the constant cleaning of the merchandise we sell at boathouse. I very much do enjoy making conversation with customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boathouse. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9