Boathouse Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Disrespectful environment where they put profits above everything, and use any means necessary to accomplish this.
General Manager (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, AlbertaFebruary 24, 2013
Pros: employee discount, merchandising skills
Cons: no overtime, no raises, lack of job security, poor communication, poor wages, no respect for personal needs, unfair and biased treatment of staff, manipulation and intimidation by regional management
My experience at Boathouse was not one in which I could recommend to others. From day one the company was not what they made it out to be on their applications or during the interviews.

I was hired on to manage the store from launch onwards, however, this task was not one in which I was given all the tools necessary to complete my position. I was simply told that being thrown in to it is normal, and don't worry about it. Unfortunately from day one this left the entire store at a disadvantage. We were always playing catch up on tasks that needed to be accomplished because we were never shown how to correctly do them to company standard. When we made attempts to accomplish the tasks ourselves, or creatively came up with ideas to improve productivity we were told it was not allowed and did not follow company standards. This led to countless hours of wasted man power where the job had already been accomplished, but not to the exact way they wanted it, resulting in the job having to be done twice. Things became more complicated when regional management had different opinions on how things should be accomplished and would have us go back and forth redoing jobs depending on which regional manager was visiting the store that week.

This leads to one of the biggest overall issues with Boathouse. The lack of communication and respect between regional management, and from regional management to store level staff. The company has no respect for its store level employees and show it quite frequently. To start with part time employees will never receive raises. When I brought up the topic – more... of raises to those employees working hard I was told simply that the company doesn't do that - neither do they participate in community events, fundraising, or even local mall events. The raise portion wouldn't be an issue, but when starting wages are less than 50 cents above minimum it really takes away any initiative employees might have to work hard and strive to improve the business.

From a management perspective, I became disillusioned with the position within a short period. Between the lack of communication between management, poor training, lack of input considered from my team and I, no respect for employees, and no respect for my position it left a feeling that I was a glorified supervisor with no say into the store I was left to run. Towards the latter half of my employment the regional manager was micro managing to such a degree that I could not step out for my hour lunch break without her calling to find out why I wasn't in the store.

Overall the company is the worst place I have had an opportunity to be employed at, and I could not recommend it to anyone. Employees are your biggest asset and should not be hired and fired at whim, but this company doesn't believe this idea and for this reason alone I chose to find other employment.All those looking for a stable employer are better off looking elsewhere. – less
Awful place.
Keyholder. (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, AlbertaApril 2, 2013
Pros: discount
Cons: management, rude people.
I used to work for this company a month and a half ago. I quit because of the management, and soon after I left, 5-6 kids followed right behind me, going out and finding new jobs because of the management and the way they treat their employees. I recently went in awhile ago to see the old staff that I used to work with, the manager tried kicking me out while I was shopping for a bathing suit, and kept trying to make sure that nobody would help me. Once someone put me in the change room, I tried my stuff on and heard the district manager in the back saying that myself and two other girls we're the "biggest beotch" and that we we're talking badly about her. When I worked there, paydays would never be done correctly, boathouse would have to do payroll audts in order for them to make sure everyone got paid correctly. But they would only do the payroll audt if someone threatned to bring in labor standards to evaulate the work place. I've seen plenty of kids get written up because the store is slow on a certain day, and they dont make enough sales so they give them a write up. They say that write-up's help build a person, but all they use them for is for 3 write ups and your gone. They gave me a write up because a father of a past employee had called about his daughter not getting paid, I told them that i'd call the head office and find out about it, but head office couldnt do anything until Tuesday. I called the father back and explained it to him, he said okay and asked for head offices number for the Tuesday and asked for the district managers number incase nothing happened on – more... Tuesday. Soon after I got a call while I was on my days off saying that I didn't deal with the sitatution correctly and that I supposed to be given my final notice writeup. I was very upset about this, because Head office deals with payrolls, not full time employees. The reason i got blaimed for this, was because the district manager didn't EVER want to deal with peoples parents. She always expected keyholders or full time people to do it, not her. They always try to get you to buy promotional items to keep their UPT above 2. If it dosent stay above two for the week, you get written up. I would have to say. Another big problem, if your applying for part time be aware you'll probably only get 1-2 shifts a week if your lucky. When i worked at Boathouse, we had 18 part time kids and 5 full time people. Part time kids we're always upset because they would either get 1 shift, some would even get none. Plus working with tons of highschool kids brings on plenty of drama, which makes the enviorment that much worse to work in. Boathouse has been the worst company I've ever worked for. and I'd advise anyone looking for a job to go apply anywhere else but here! This has got to be the worst place, ever! – less
Great brands but very poor training and operations
Management (Former Employee), AlbertaFebruary 21, 2013
Pros: 40-50% discount, great brands, decent pay for hourly wages
Cons: embarrassing training program, no hr practices, inexperienced store managers/dm's, non competitive pay for management, poor incentive program, poor communication between stores and head office
* co-workers were awesome to work with. A really fun group of people. The people are the only thing I miss about working at Boathouse.
* There was also little to no supervision from the DM. Some might consider this a good thing...The level of productivity/results are mainly driven by the Store Management.
*embarrassing training program, especially for management. IF you get training in your first week that is all you get. No formal follow up training. Just visits from the glorified Store Manager (DM). This inevitably leads to feeling stagnant sooner rather than later.
* too much pressure to upsell ALL the time- to the point where it is CLEAR to the customer Boathouse just wants their money.
*They have no problem reprimanding you for poor results but do not provide the training on how to improve. I believe this is because the Manager's and DM's aren't getting the training themselves so they don't know how to produce results or change behavior.
* little job security. Employees, particularly management, always feel like their job is on the line. For example, if there was a theft on your shift you would feel like you were getting fired because you couldn't be in 3 places at once.
* poor communication methods between head office and the stores. The company just recently launched email in November. The problem is you can't print any emails or attached documents. So trying to read emails and look at pictures at the sametime as the cashier is ringing through customer after customer is very difficult...and then you get in trouble for not having your work done on time.
* The company does – more... not have an HR department...only a payroll employee who deals with the HR issues. Enough said.
* Boathouse is all about hiring eager but VERY junior Manager's and DM's so they can severely underpay them. After a year or 2 employees get bored of the same old thing day after day due to the company's poor training and development initiatives. Boathouse makes themselves a natural stepping stone due to bigger and better opportunities out there. – less
A great place to grow as a Visual Merchandiser
Full-Time Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee), Windsor, ONJuly 13, 2015
Create displays daily using the products that are sold in the store that are visually appealing to attract customers and showcase the products in the best possible ways. Do various physical tasks, including both lifting and climbing, in order to merchandise the store. Deal with customers, answer their questions, and help them with their needs. Handle money and work with a computerized till. Do various procedures, including markdowns, transfers and online orders. Moved up within the company over a short period of time, starting off as a Part-Time Sales Associate, then became a Key Holder, and now hold the position of Full-Time Visual Merchandiser. Often entrusted to work alone in the early hours of the morning before the store is open. Continue to build teamwork skills from working with other staff members everyday, especially by working closely with the store manager and the assistant store manager. In charge of both minor tasks that occur daily and major tasks that occur seasonally. Delegate responsibilities to others in order for the store to run smoothly.
Fun and fast paced work environment
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 8, 2015
Pros: Good hours, fun environment
A typical work day consists of assisting customers on their needs and inquiries, organizing the sales floor in order to keep a neat presentation of items, as well as managing the cash register and making sure customers had a good shopping good experience.

I solidified and further developed my communication and social skills while working at boathouse, as well as reading customer body language.

The people in management are very responsive and positive. They are unrelentingly helpful and motivate employees to exude their best on the sales floor. They are very good at teaching us the necessities of working at Boathouse. My co-workers are also fun to work with, and communicative, they also make long shifts worth while.

The hardest part of my job is when it gets busy and the store sometimes becomes very crowded and it is hard to clean up after customers and help them at the same time. Although, this is also the most enjoyable part of my job, it is fast paced, and it is rewarding to have the satisfaction of helping customer finding what they need.
Worst retail company to ever work for!
Sales associate (Former Employee), CalgaryFebruary 19, 2013
Pros: 40% discount.
Cons: district managers breathing down your neck.
I would work 40 hours a week, work my butt off for the company, and be promised raises that I would never recieve. My coworkers are awesome, the breaks are good. We sent in my benefits in november and I didnt recieve them until 4 months later with the wrong name on the benefits package. They make you work hours and then try to tell you that if you work over 44 hours they will no longer pay you for those hours that you worked. The district manager will try to make you deal with stuff that she should be the one dealing with instead of a sales associate. When you put in your two weeks they count you as a loss and just fire you, and when your a keyholder or manager you have to get all your days off approved, even if there something important that you need to attend, they will try and take it away from you. If you cant keep a 2.0 upt then they will write you up and just get rid of you. The district manager is very disrespectul, not trustworthy, rude, and makes employees do stuff that she wouldnt even do. I wouldnt recommend this job to anyone!!
Really unprofessional and unorganized workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABFebruary 24, 2015
Cons: working for free, bad management
I worked at boathouse for two months, i loved my job and everyone i worked with until a new manager came in and told me i was seasonal when i was hired for permanent, so that was not fair at all to me. The district manager totally quit his job because boathouse in medicine hat was just going downhill. I worked around 60 hours total, and the first two weeks i was working there i basically worked for free because the girl who does payroll didnt know i was hired and the disrict manager didnt even know. I worked around 20 hours for free and i am really not happy about it. Boathouse owes me 256$ and all of my pay stubs plus my T4, which ill probably never see. I got paid only 3 times in very little amounts which does NOT add up, everyone else got paid 7 times in the time i was working there for. The manager let me go, and a week later she hires her best friends. SO wrong. Bad company. Bad workplace. DONT WORK FOR BOATHOUSE.
Fast pace and exciting environment at Boathouse
Key Holder (Former Employee), Barrie, ONJuly 2, 2014
Pros: excellent team of staff and working environment
Cons: small wages
Once promoted to Keyholder, Responsibilities and duties such as opening and closing tills, as well as delegating tasks were bestowed upon me. Being part of management, I found myself really liking the role I possessed due to significance of a key holder to make things run smoothly and as they are supposed to be. I was able to strengthen my skills in this role such as my leadership skills as well as organizational skills. The hardest part of this job was keeping employees on task due to the fun working environment and the general standards of management. The most enjoyable part however was possessing a vital role within the company and working each day to fulfill my role and to better the company.
My experience working for The Boathouse in Vancouver BC.
Manager (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 30, 2015
Pros: Salary, free sunsets!
Cons: Long hours and irregular hours.
Working at the Boathouse was both fun and very fast-paced. especially in the summer time because of the water views each Boathouse had to offer. Although our staff was mostly seasonal I enjoyed seeing them return summer after summer!

With a 152 employees to motivate, coach and keep happy from day to day, managing could become quite challenging at times. I did however find our management team to be a immense help by being strong and supportive when needed. Working with such a vast of personalities and ages helped me grow in learning patience and often other ways to develop my teaching abilities.

The boathouse was a great stepping-stone into my management career.
It was a fun job, but not the most satisfying.
Sales associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 30, 2015
Pros: Meeting new people.
Cons: Under paid.
Working at a clothing store was a great job to have as a teenager. However, as a couple years passed it was not a place I wanted to stay at much longer.
I learned customer service skills which has been helpful in my current job.
The management was always changing in the store so I found it very inconsistent with training.
My co-workers were great as we were all around the same age and were great with making the tasks that had to be done a little more fun.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with unsatisfied customers that you had not helped previously.
The most enjoyable part of the job was making new friends with everyone.
Once awesome workplace now very lame
Sales Representative (Former Employee), OakvilleJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: met some great friends by working there
Cons: selling cheap unwanted clothing
Boathouse was a well managed, successful company until new management began changing the target consumers from skater/ surfer/ younger relatively priced clothing to cheap older lady style and overpriced hipster clothes. There were too many promos that customers did not care for and did not come in to buy that we were forced to aggressively push on them. Customers used to comes in for a relaxed, chill environment and shopping experience that is no longer being practiced in Boathouse stores due to new policies and unwanted clothing.
Productive workplace, very goal oriented
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Niagara-on-the-Lake, ONMay 23, 2012
Pros: friendly staff and management, free merchandise (sometimes, not often)
Cons: repetitive work, not air conditioned, standing for long periods of time.
The Boathouse warehouse gave steady hours everyday working from 8am to 5pm. I learned about working with many different personalities and working as a team. The warehouse is set up into different sections each doing their own part to complete the overall goal for the day. The hardest part of the job was that it involves repetitive tasks and constant standing at a table. The most enjoyable part was working with my coworkers, everyone was very friendly.
Fun, energetic work environment, but poor management and training staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONJune 23, 2014
Pros: discount on clothes, flexible hours (usually)
Cons: management, poor training (whmis, ladder safety, cash)
I learned a lot at boathouse about how to sell to individuals based upon a service training method used by Boathouse. Poor management made this job a bit hostile at times but co-workers were easygoing and fun to work with. The hardest part of the job was working holidays when the store would get unbelievably busy, on the other hand the most enjoyable part of the job was probably the easy going atmosphere and selling clothes that i myself enjoy wearing.
Was a fun, and relaxed atmosphere to work in!
VISUAL MERCHANDISER (Former Employee), Square One Mall, MississaugaMarch 26, 2012
Pros: all days
Cons: physically demanding
I reviewed with management the tasks for the day.
I learned how to dress mannequins, set up displays, follow plan ograms, merchandise moves, open new stores, received merchandise, the housekeeping and general maintenance of the store.
Our management team was great, knowledgeable, understanding, fun, focused, and helpful.
My co-workers were great, they were helpful, fun, friendly, cared about the store.
The physical demands
Seeing the store just after a merchandise move, when everything is perfect and clean!
Fun workplace and professional employees
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 13, 2015
I would say that my experience in Boathouse helped me to become a better professional and it taught me how to handle different kinds of problems in the store or in the management itself. I gained new ideas and skills that made me confident in my everyday routine at work. I knew how to balance my responsibilities and priorities. It wasn't really an easy job but it was worth it because the people that I'm working with made my experience as the Assistant Manager fun and we all respected each other.
Absolutely terrible company
Visual merchandiser (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: 100% nothing
Cons: unorganized, no communication, blamed for issues the manger should be responsible for
I worked for boathouse for just under 6 months. To be honest, I can't believe I stuck it out for that long. Not only was my store manager incapable of doing her job correctly, efficiently, and on time, but everyone she trained had no idea what they were doing because the store manager didn't. This is the most unorganized company I have probably ever worked for. DO NOT APPLY. You will regret your life.
Great entry level job into the sales/retail career
Sales associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 27, 2015
look professional and well dressed to work
extensive knowledge on products to answer all questions from customers
work the till for sales
greeting customers in a friendly matter and known to ask if needing assistance
stock product to be brought out, labeled, placed in proper arrangement on displays
bring out shoes for customers to try on and compare
closing and balancing till
closing store with nightly check list and clean up
Organize and fold clothes
sales associate & stock (Former Employee), Edmonton,ABMay 12, 2015
Pros: good discounts
Cons: management
I would tend to organize clothes, welcome customers, get shoes from the back for the customers. I learned to fold clothes. The management was horrible. We weren't on the same page and tended to clash among another. Myself and my coworkers agreed about this. The hardest part of the my job was to clean the entire store. The most enjoyable part was working with my coworkers.
fun workplace and environment
Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 8, 2015
Pros: huge discount
Cons: short hours
everyone there is so friendly, i always have a good time working there for every shift. i learned how to keep things professionally neat and tidy, how to organize clothing down to size, colour, and style. the hardest part is keeping track on what goes where when everything changes around almost bi-weekly. and the enjoyable part is really everything.
Do not work in the Boathouses in British Columbia
Sales (Former Employee), British ColumbiaJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: 40 percent off discount
Cons: management, no respect, cut hours, upt
The district and regional managers in BC only care about making money they don't care about their employees at all, one district manager was cold hearted and disrespectful. I do not reccomend working at Boathouse in BC but other locations across Canada should be a delight so I've heard.
Headquarters