Boathouse

Boathouse Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Really unprofessional and unorganized workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABFebruary 24, 2015
Cons: working for free, bad management
I worked at boathouse for two months, i loved my job and everyone i worked with until a new manager came in and told me i was seasonal when i was hired for permanent, so that was not fair at all to me. The district manager totally quit his job because boathouse in medicine hat was just going downhill. I worked around 60 hours total, and the first two weeks i was working there i basically worked for free because the girl who does payroll didnt know i was hired and the disrict manager didnt even know. I worked around 20 hours for free and i am really not happy about it. Boathouse owes me 256$ and all of my pay stubs plus my T4, which ill probably never see. I got paid only 3 times in very little amounts which does NOT add up, everyone else got paid 7 times in the time i was working there for. The manager let me go, and a week later she hires her best friends. SO wrong. Bad company. Bad workplace. DONT WORK FOR BOATHOUSE.
Easy Going Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Pickering, ONFebruary 1, 2015
Being a new employee I was pleased to come into a workplace with such an easygoing environment. Trustworthy and easy to talk to management as well as friendly and nice staff.
Great working conditions.
productive and fun work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: great work space
Cons: no shifts
Get to work, log in, read the memo book, go to my section and help customers out, fold clothes, get shoe sizes
co-workers are very nice, great people to work with help you out with any questions
Bad management
Sales Floor (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJanuary 22, 2015
The environment was great, and the employees were amazing to work with, but the management were young and didn't focus on their employees as much as I would've for a big company.
Once awesome workplace now very lame
Sales Representative (Former Employee), OakvilleJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: met some great friends by working there
Cons: selling cheap unwanted clothing
Boathouse was a well managed, successful company until new management began changing the target consumers from skater/ surfer/ younger relatively priced clothing to cheap older lady style and overpriced hipster clothes. There were too many promos that customers did not care for and did not come in to buy that we were forced to aggressively push on them. Customers used to comes in for a relaxed, chill environment and shopping experience that is no longer being practiced in Boathouse stores due to new policies and unwanted clothing.
Fun
Store Manager (Former Employee), Halifax, NSSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: discount!!
Cons: job security
Pay was good and you are recognized for hard work, until they decide you are to be replaced for no reason!
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), mississauga, ONJuly 28, 2014
Pros: great discount
Cons: short breaks
some co-workers were very hard to work with.
you could only get one break for long shifts
Fast pace and exciting environment at Boathouse
Key Holder (Former Employee), Barrie, ONJuly 2, 2014
Pros: excellent team of staff and working environment
Cons: small wages
Once promoted to Keyholder, Responsibilities and duties such as opening and closing tills, as well as delegating tasks were bestowed upon me. Being part of management, I found myself really liking the role I possessed due to significance of a key holder to make things run smoothly and as they are supposed to be. I was able to strengthen my skills in this role such as my leadership skills as well as organizational skills. The hardest part of this job was keeping employees on task due to the fun working environment and the general standards of management. The most enjoyable part however was possessing a vital role within the company and working each day to fulfill my role and to better the company.
Fun, energetic work environment, but poor management and training staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONJune 23, 2014
Pros: discount on clothes, flexible hours (usually)
Cons: management, poor training (whmis, ladder safety, cash)
I learned a lot at boathouse about how to sell to individuals based upon a service training method used by Boathouse. Poor management made this job a bit hostile at times but co-workers were easygoing and fun to work with. The hardest part of the job was working holidays when the store would get unbelievably busy, on the other hand the most enjoyable part of the job was probably the easy going atmosphere and selling clothes that i myself enjoy wearing.
Great place to work, good environment
Sales/Stock (Current Employee), OttawaMay 26, 2014
Good environment to work in. Learnt new skills and was able to meet great people
Great Place To Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 27, 2014
Great Place to work, the people that worked at my location were fun and tight nit. It was like working with family members who all had the same goals to be successful and productive.
restaurant
Executive chef (Former Employee), lindsay ontarioFebruary 26, 2014
the most enjoyable time at work is when the restaurant is busy i like to cook so when i have customer it is my joy to make them feel wellcome to a whonderfull meal
Absolutely terrible company
Visual merchandiser (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: 100% nothing
Cons: unorganized, no communication, blamed for issues the manger should be responsible for
I worked for boathouse for just under 6 months. To be honest, I can't believe I stuck it out for that long. Not only was my store manager incapable of doing her job correctly, efficiently, and on time, but everyone she trained had no idea what they were doing because the store manager didn't. This is the most unorganized company I have probably ever worked for. DO NOT APPLY. You will regret your life.
Very Fun atomosphere
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 13, 2013
Boathouse was a fun place to work you got to meet a lot of really great people , its very customer service oriented , training is great , product is good quality
social / positive
Key Holder Retail/Sales/Customer Service (Former Employee), Saint John, NBAugust 29, 2013
It was a fun job , very social and a positive atmosphere. I like working retail. My staff team was very friendly and hard workers
Worst job
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Lakeshore road , St. Catharines ONJune 15, 2013
Pros: minumum wage, stand on your feet all day, you may make a few friends
Cons: if you not in the loop or click you get all the bad jobs ......
Minimum wage job, with no raise insite , poorly run company, no chance for advancement within the company !!
Awful place.
Keyholder. (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, AlbertaApril 2, 2013
Pros: discount
Cons: management, rude people.
I used to work for this company a month and a half ago. I quit because of the management, and soon after I left, 5-6 kids followed right behind me, going out and finding new jobs because of the management and the way they treat their employees. I recently went in awhile ago to see the old staff that I used to work with, the manager tried kicking me out while I was shopping for a bathing suit, and kept trying to make sure that nobody would help me. Once someone put me in the change room, I tried my stuff on and heard the district manager in the back saying that myself and two other girls we're the "biggest beotch" and that we we're talking badly about her. When I worked there, paydays would never be done correctly, boathouse would have to do payroll audts in order for them to make sure everyone got paid correctly. But they would only do the payroll audt if someone threatned to bring in labor standards to evaulate the work place. I've seen plenty of kids get written up because the store is slow on a certain day, and they dont make enough sales so they give them a write up. They say that write-up's help build a person, but all they use them for is for 3 write ups and your gone. They gave me a write up because a father of a past employee had called about his daughter not getting paid, I told them that i'd call the head office and find out about it, but head office couldnt do anything until Tuesday. I called the father back and explained it to him, he said okay and asked for head offices number for the Tuesday and asked for the district managers number incase nothing happened on – more... Tuesday. Soon after I got a call while I was on my days off saying that I didn't deal with the sitatution correctly and that I supposed to be given my final notice writeup. I was very upset about this, because Head office deals with payrolls, not full time employees. The reason i got blaimed for this, was because the district manager didn't EVER want to deal with peoples parents. She always expected keyholders or full time people to do it, not her. They always try to get you to buy promotional items to keep their UPT above 2. If it dosent stay above two for the week, you get written up. I would have to say. Another big problem, if your applying for part time be aware you'll probably only get 1-2 shifts a week if your lucky. When i worked at Boathouse, we had 18 part time kids and 5 full time people. Part time kids we're always upset because they would either get 1 shift, some would even get none. Plus working with tons of highschool kids brings on plenty of drama, which makes the enviorment that much worse to work in. Boathouse has been the worst company I've ever worked for. and I'd advise anyone looking for a job to go apply anywhere else but here! This has got to be the worst place, ever! – less
Selling clothes to meet our business needs
Keyholder (Current Employee), Sarnia, ONMarch 17, 2013
Setting sales goals and working to exceed them daily, supervising a team of 10+ employees, two at a time.
Disrespectful environment where they put profits above everything, and use any means necessary to accomplish this.
General Manager (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, AlbertaFebruary 24, 2013
Pros: employee discount, merchandising skills
Cons: no overtime, no raises, lack of job security, poor communication, poor wages, no respect for personal needs, unfair and biased treatment of staff, manipulation and intimidation by regional management
My experience at Boathouse was not one in which I could recommend to others. From day one the company was not what they made it out to be on their applications or during the interviews.

I was hired on to manage the store from launch onwards, however, this task was not one in which I was given all the tools necessary to complete my position. I was simply told that being thrown in to it is normal, and don't worry about it. Unfortunately from day one this left the entire store at a disadvantage. We were always playing catch up on tasks that needed to be accomplished because we were never shown how to correctly do them to company standard. When we made attempts to accomplish the tasks ourselves, or creatively came up with ideas to improve productivity we were told it was not allowed and did not follow company standards. This led to countless hours of wasted man power where the job had already been accomplished, but not to the exact way they wanted it, resulting in the job having to be done twice. Things became more complicated when regional management had different opinions on how things should be accomplished and would have us go back and forth redoing jobs depending on which regional manager was visiting the store that week.

This leads to one of the biggest overall issues with Boathouse. The lack of communication and respect between regional management, and from regional management to store level staff. The company has no respect for its store level employees and show it quite frequently. To start with part time employees will never receive raises. When I brought up the topic – more... of raises to those employees working hard I was told simply that the company doesn't do that - neither do they participate in community events, fundraising, or even local mall events. The raise portion wouldn't be an issue, but when starting wages are less than 50 cents above minimum it really takes away any initiative employees might have to work hard and strive to improve the business.

From a management perspective, I became disillusioned with the position within a short period. Between the lack of communication between management, poor training, lack of input considered from my team and I, no respect for employees, and no respect for my position it left a feeling that I was a glorified supervisor with no say into the store I was left to run. Towards the latter half of my employment the regional manager was micro managing to such a degree that I could not step out for my hour lunch break without her calling to find out why I wasn't in the store.

Overall the company is the worst place I have had an opportunity to be employed at, and I could not recommend it to anyone. Employees are your biggest asset and should not be hired and fired at whim, but this company doesn't believe this idea and for this reason alone I chose to find other employment.All those looking for a stable employer are better off looking elsewhere. – less
Great brands but very poor training and operations
Management (Former Employee), AlbertaFebruary 21, 2013
Pros: 40-50% discount, great brands, decent pay for hourly wages
Cons: embarrassing training program, no hr practices, inexperienced store managers/dm's, non competitive pay for management, poor incentive program, poor communication between stores and head office
* co-workers were awesome to work with. A really fun group of people. The people are the only thing I miss about working at Boathouse.
* There was also little to no supervision from the DM. Some might consider this a good thing...The level of productivity/results are mainly driven by the Store Management.
*embarrassing training program, especially for management. IF you get training in your first week that is all you get. No formal follow up training. Just visits from the glorified Store Manager (DM). This inevitably leads to feeling stagnant sooner rather than later.
* too much pressure to upsell ALL the time- to the point where it is CLEAR to the customer Boathouse just wants their money.
*They have no problem reprimanding you for poor results but do not provide the training on how to improve. I believe this is because the Manager's and DM's aren't getting the training themselves so they don't know how to produce results or change behavior.
* little job security. Employees, particularly management, always feel like their job is on the line. For example, if there was a theft on your shift you would feel like you were getting fired because you couldn't be in 3 places at once.
* poor communication methods between head office and the stores. The company just recently launched email in November. The problem is you can't print any emails or attached documents. So trying to read emails and look at pictures at the sametime as the cashier is ringing through customer after customer is very difficult...and then you get in trouble for not having your work done on time.
* The company does – more... not have an HR department...only a payroll employee who deals with the HR issues. Enough said.
* Boathouse is all about hiring eager but VERY junior Manager's and DM's so they can severely underpay them. After a year or 2 employees get bored of the same old thing day after day due to the company's poor training and development initiatives. Boathouse makes themselves a natural stepping stone due to bigger and better opportunities out there. – less

About Boathouse

We create campaigns, build website, apps and software, generate content. Brands are no longer built through the big TV campaign – Read more