Boart Longyear Employee Reviews in Canada

Great Local Management
Driller (Former Employee) –  Red Lake, ONDecember 8, 2015
The local management is great but the fat-cats in the offices down south bleed the company dry. It takes a contract to just pay half the wages for the Hailbury office bad business.

they treat the employees like poorly to cutting wages and bonus whenever they get the chance

BoartLongyear Motto: "If you don't like it, there's the door!"
proactive fun work place
Driller (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 5, 2015
I have gather great knowledge working around the country for different companies and lots of different machinery
which make s me an excellent candidate for future employment.
boart was a good company to work for
Underground Diamond Driller Helper (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ONJanuary 23, 2014
typical day would be do the safety huddle say what we did for safety the day before and what we would do for safety that day. go underground work return to surface. I learned a lot about safety and how accidents can happen in an instant co workers were awesome the hardest part of the job was moves when you have to move your drill if everything was not ready it would be frustrating. the most enjoyable part of the job was the people we worked with.
Stay away - Only good if you are a driller or helper
not entry level - dont want to say (Former Employee) –  Haileybury/North BayJanuary 29, 2013
Good company ONLY if you are a driller or a helper. Otherwise you should pass. No job security at all. Laid off 2500 people in the last year and kept some that made no sense at all. Do a web search and see for yourself.

co-workers are nice people but zone and SLC senior and regional management has no respect for employees or department managers or supervisors. dont bother tring to take a day off because they will call you on weekend and vacation and expect you to answer

Other zones may be better but eastern canada is not well run or a good place to work. clearly the reason i left
Pros
nice building
Very productive
diamond drill helper/ diamond driller (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ONFebruary 13, 2013
The job itself is pretty simple, you pretty much know what your walking into usually, if you have a good cross shift and he sets you up good the shift will fly, if your cross shift hates his job and doesnt care, well your in for a good night! sometime it gets long doing the same thing everday but when the day over your happy you had a good productive day, no one got hurt and you get to go home to you family, thats a good day!
Pros
good money
Productive and fun workplace
Inventory/Cost Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 7, 2013
Responding to the emails, requests for cost updates, and other issues, running different reports for the inventory and cost variance accounts,analysing and communicating with the persons in charge to fix the problems.

I learned the Oracle software, the Answer reporting system and first of all the company's culture.

The management team was very close and continuesly in contact with us for every issue to find the right way or solution.

With co- workers it was a good working and social relationship.

The hardest part of the job it was the physical inventory in the warehouses.

The most enjoyable part of the job was inventing new ways to capture the cost for non standard jobs or repars in the field.
Pros
productive and fun workplace
Cons
very low job security
No life, terrible management
Driller (Current Employee) –  ManitobaMarch 4, 2013
Current driller at boart Longyear, 14 on 7 off. Not much of a life and the upper management is nothing but a joke, was promised increase in wages and never got em!! Was never appreciated by shifters or big boss, if u wanna work for these guys u better be prepared to work like a slave and still get no recognition cause in the end yer just another number in their eyes!!
Pros
excellent money
Cons
treated like dirt
Although the accommodations are very nice the amount of days you have to put in is rough.
Diamond Driller (Current Employee) –  Red Lake OntarioJune 7, 2013
We go down on a cage in a Gold mine,To 6400ft I am incharge of transporting men to thier drills.And we start drilling for core samples which hopefully contain gold.During the drilling process you learn alot about Ground conditions and have to know whats going on in your drill hole as your rods turn.Management or shift bosses are most likely ex drillers to which you can call apon for certain tasks or situations that they can help you with.You have a partner to which you are to over see he is your helper on the drill,The hardest part of the job would be,heat stress as it is very hot at 6400 ft.The most enjoyable part of the job is that you and your partner come up to surface every day safe and alive.
Pros
the job is challenging
Cons
28 days in a row of work
Enjoyable and fair
Machinist (Former Employee) –  OakvilleMarch 8, 2015
Enjoyable and fair rotating shift days and afternoons.
I was layed off in 2010.

Great company to work for, but am looking for a more challenging roll.
Pros
enjoyable and fair
to short a season, coring
drilling rig manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 8, 2014
to short of a season coring in fort mcmurry, the job only started at dec, and was over by march 01, i did not mind the 24-7 supervising crews, as it comes easy as you train them,
Pros
allowed me to farm in summers
Cons
not enough work
It is what you make it
Diamond Driller (Current Employee) –  Red Lake, ONFebruary 21, 2013
Working for boart longyear is something else. There is no conformity throughout the company. Every contract is different. That is the worst part. Boart doesn't protect it workers either.
Pros
try to keep you working if your good.
Cons
do not provide ppe
longyear saskatchewan camp jobs
diamond surface driller (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKNovember 12, 2014
were ok to work for pay and bonus were not as good as others couldn't keep me on a steady rotation
Pros
lots of heli work
Cons
i was just a # in the company
Organised place to work at.
Diamond Driller/foreman/trainer (Former Employee) –  Hailbury OntarioJune 7, 2013
I pre op the drill. Then get instructions from my foreman or give the instructions. I take tests at appropriate depth and then i start drilling.
Pros
good money and benefits
Great company
Drill Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ONJune 14, 2013
Long hours and hard work but a great job. Great people to work for and very safety oriented.
Cons
away from home for long periodes of time
Good work ethic
Driller Surface/ (Former Employee) –  All over canadaMarch 26, 2012
Always had work for me. Gave me alot of work experience. Brought me up the ladder pretty fast.
Pros
paid travel, always frre food
Cons
long houres
Drill and blast
Long hole driller (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ONMay 24, 2013
Drill production/Cable bolt holes. install and grout cables. Load production and raise. work alone when drilling. paid by the meter.
Good
Driller Helper (Current Employee) –  Calgary ABOctober 1, 2012
Good employer. Good pay, good benefits.

Enjoyed working here, away from family too long.
Pros
free travel and expenses paid
Cons
away all the time
productive and busy place but also fun
shipping and recieving (Former Employee) –  Haileybury, ONApril 26, 2012
it was a very fun place to work because the atmostfear was great
Cons
8h shift plus overtime
Challenging, Fast Paced Environment
Regional Administrator / Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONApril 25, 2013
Enjoyed my time at BL; due to restructuring my job was eliminated.
machine shop
MACHINIST (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONFebruary 4, 2014
was a good job while it lasted as production jobs are dwindling
Pros
good salary
Cons
union and management butt heads often