Boart Longyear Employee Reviews in Canada

where i got started
Driller Helper/Diamond and air driller (Former Employee) –  thompson mbSeptember 14, 2015
I got too learn all about the drills how to maintain them ,drill and a very good workout everyday, by pulling the rods up and putting them down. good management for the most part, the co workers I had were a great bunch off guys. The hardest part of the job was moving the drill. The most enjoyable part off the job for me was the travel, and meeting new people that I come across time and time again.
Pros
travel
Cons
job security
Great Local Management
Driller (Former Employee) –  Red Lake, ONDecember 8, 2015
The local management is great but the fat-cats in the offices down south bleed the company dry. It takes a contract to just pay half the wages for the Hailbury office bad business.

they treat the employees like poorly to cutting wages and bonus whenever they get the chance

BoartLongyear Motto: "If you don't like it, there's the door!"
Productive and fun workplace
Inventory/Cost Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 7, 2013
Responding to the emails, requests for cost updates, and other issues, running different reports for the inventory and cost variance accounts,analysing and communicating with the persons in charge to fix the problems.

I learned the Oracle software, the Answer reporting system and first of all the company's culture.

The management team was very close and continuesly in contact with us for every issue to find the right way or solution.

With co- workers it was a good working and social relationship.

The hardest part of the job it was the physical inventory in the warehouses.

The most enjoyable part of the job was inventing new ways to capture the cost for non standard jobs or repars in the field.
Pros
productive and fun workplace
Cons
very low job security
Contract company lifestyle
Long hole driller (Former Employee) –  Red Lake, ONFebruary 17, 2016
Good company to work for, just no work.
Like any job, you get what you put into it. I worked and enjoyed it.
Worked in Sudbury and up in Red Lake.
2 weeks on and 2 weeks off.
Awsome group always positive
Long Hole Driller (Former Employee) –  Red Lake, ONMarch 4, 2016
Company working safe as a TEAM, always ensuring you understood all plans and company standart.
Great group of front line supervisor looking out for each of the drillers.
Stay away - Only good if you are a driller or helper
not entry level - dont want to say (Former Employee) –  Haileybury/North BayJanuary 29, 2013
Good company ONLY if you are a driller or a helper. Otherwise you should pass. No job security at all. Laid off 2500 people in the last year and kept some that made no sense at all. Do a web search and see for yourself.

co-workers are nice people but zone and SLC senior and regional management has no respect for employees or department managers or supervisors. dont bother tring to take a day off because they will call you on weekend and vacation and expect you to answer

Other zones may be better but eastern canada is not well run or a good place to work. clearly the reason i left
Pros
nice building
Although the accommodations are very nice the amount of days you have to put in is rough.
Diamond Driller (Current Employee) –  Red Lake OntarioJune 7, 2013
We go down on a cage in a Gold mine,To 6400ft I am incharge of transporting men to thier drills.And we start drilling for core samples which hopefully contain gold.During the drilling process you learn alot about Ground conditions and have to know whats going on in your drill hole as your rods turn.Management or shift bosses are most likely ex drillers to which you can call apon for certain tasks or situations that they can help you with.You have a partner to which you are to over see he is your helper on the drill,The hardest part of the job would be,heat stress as it is very hot at 6400 ft.The most enjoyable part of the job is that you and your partner come up to surface every day safe and alive.
Pros
the job is challenging
Cons
28 days in a row of work
Very Good Company
Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONAugust 12, 2013
1. Analysis and investigate claims from our customers, compose internal reports for our engineering/manufacturing department; compose formal reports for our sales department and customers. Provide technical support and problem solving for Manufacturing Department.
2. I learned quality assurance, 5S, lean manufacturing, 8D, 5 Why, Mining drill operation, Mining products.
3. Very good management system
4. My colleagues are very friendly, we supot each other at work, we go fishing, hunting or skiing after work.
5. We don't have much information from customer about how they used our products and what happened while the product failed. So that make our difficult to investigate the Root Cause of the Failure.
6. Our customer is satisfied with our Root Cause Report.
Organised place to work at.
Diamond Driller/foreman/trainer (Former Employee) –  Hailbury OntarioJune 7, 2013
I pre op the drill. Then get instructions from my foreman or give the instructions. I take tests at appropriate depth and then i start drilling.
Pros
good money and benefits
Drill and blast
Long hole driller (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ONMay 24, 2013
Drill production/Cable bolt holes. install and grout cables. Load production and raise. work alone when drilling. paid by the meter.
machine shop
MACHINIST (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONFebruary 4, 2014
was a good job while it lasted as production jobs are dwindling
Pros
good salary
Cons
union and management butt heads often
Always changing
Accounts Payable/Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, OntarioSeptember 22, 2013
My job was a little of everything, so it was never boring.
Monday I did the weekly payroll.
Tuesday & Wednesday I did accounts payable & purchasing.
Thursday & Friday were pretty much shipping containers,
so I did the shipping paperwork and ordered containers.
I liked the variety, but sometimes found it hard to just take a break.
Most of our management worked out of the head office in Salt Lake City, so you didn't see them regularly.
l learned many different jobs and am a quick learner.
Very productive
diamond drill helper/ diamond driller (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ONFebruary 13, 2013
The job itself is pretty simple, you pretty much know what your walking into usually, if you have a good cross shift and he sets you up good the shift will fly, if your cross shift hates his job and doesnt care, well your in for a good night! sometime it gets long doing the same thing everday but when the day over your happy you had a good productive day, no one got hurt and you get to go home to you family, thats a good day!
Pros
good money
No life, terrible management
Driller (Current Employee) –  ManitobaMarch 4, 2013
Current driller at boart Longyear, 14 on 7 off. Not much of a life and the upper management is nothing but a joke, was promised increase in wages and never got em!! Was never appreciated by shifters or big boss, if u wanna work for these guys u better be prepared to work like a slave and still get no recognition cause in the end yer just another number in their eyes!!
Pros
excellent money
Cons
treated like dirt
proactive fun work place
Driller (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 5, 2015
I have gather great knowledge working around the country for different companies and lots of different machinery
which make s me an excellent candidate for future employment.
Great company
Drill Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ONJune 14, 2013
Long hours and hard work but a great job. Great people to work for and very safety oriented.
Cons
away from home for long periodes of time
working with boart longyear new zealand is fun just work is slowing down at the moment..
Senior Driller (Current Employee) –  Takanini, New ZealandJuly 29, 2012
Rooster is 12days on and 2 days off for a 12.5hour shift.
Learned discipline, endurance and work under pressure with ensuring that everything is alright like ensuring my workmate and myself is safe and go home safe after the shift, I am really happy to be part of our 5year LTI in our division. The hardest part of the job for me is when we are out of gear and need to used what we got in hand. Working in different places maybe that's what i enjoy in this job.
Pros
free work utes
Cons
long hour and long roosters
Good
Driller Helper (Current Employee) –  Calgary ABOctober 1, 2012
Good employer. Good pay, good benefits.

Enjoyed working here, away from family too long.
Pros
free travel and expenses paid
Cons
away all the time
boart was a good company to work for
Underground Diamond Driller Helper (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ONJanuary 23, 2014
typical day would be do the safety huddle say what we did for safety the day before and what we would do for safety that day. go underground work return to surface. I learned a lot about safety and how accidents can happen in an instant co workers were awesome the hardest part of the job was moves when you have to move your drill if everything was not ready it would be frustrating. the most enjoyable part of the job was the people we worked with.
Enjoyable and fair
Machinist (Former Employee) –  OakvilleMarch 8, 2015
Enjoyable and fair rotating shift days and afternoons.
I was layed off in 2010.

Great company to work for, but am looking for a more challenging roll.
Pros
enjoyable and fair