Boardwalk Rental Communities Employee Reviews

Culture shift
Property Manager (Customer Service Representative) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 14, 2016
The Boardwalk that I started working for is not the Boardwalk that exists now. An exclusive old-boys club has sprung up in the head office, dominating upper management positions and trickling its influence down throughout the middle management. Additionally, the company culture has shifted its tone from "We're a community and family that works together for the benefit of our residents", to "You'd better be grateful we don't do layoffs, and we're going to squeeze our residents for every dollar we can, regardless of retention".
Pros
Occasional special events, Christmas parties
Cons
Wages, benefits, management, schedule.
Great employees
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ONAugust 17, 2016
Management is a joke working people like slaves never good enough or fast enough
..never get hurt or you are dirt.Don't ever take breaks as not allowed. London area run by women who think they are queens and not human.
Pros
Paychecks
Cons
Overworked never good job or thanks
Great place to work good management, good people
Residential Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 25, 2016
I love this place, nice paid, only busy in month end. good management. tenants are nice. sometimes there are some bad people you have to evicted and they leave the apartment a mess
Pros
teamwork, good benefit good management
Cons
little advancement opportunity
Labour violations
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 5, 2016
Terrible employer - will violate labour standards every chance they get if it puts money in their pocket. If you make a complaint about it, you get let go. Pretty clear why they have such high turnover.
Pros
Cons
Not worth working for
Check your pay statements closely!
Maintenance Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 20, 2015
I was warned about accounting missing hours and overtime
when i started and boy were they right. You can excuse the odd mistake but it became obvious that there was a little bit more to it
than that.

Boardwalk overworks their maintenance people to the breaking point.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Over worked, Poor Wages
A very productive work place and lots of good benefits
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 29, 2015
Typical day at work -- I arrive at the office, get my coffee, go through my emails, and review my list of pending customer requests/issues.
What I learned -- Anticipate and think through tough decisions before you face them. Establish guidelines in advance.
My Co-workers -- we get along and we also have a team work
The hardest part of the job is showing empathy and still make sure i am doing whats right for the company. Enjoyable place to work with very supportive management. Each team player pitches in whenever needed. Interacting with the public is my favorite part of my job.
Great Employer
Residential Customer Service (Former Employee) –  London, ONJuly 6, 2015
Boardwalk offers a lot of employee support. I personally worked in the office, So I helped with the collection of rent, on call after business hours, keeping site clean on evenings and weekends, updating tenant info, weekly reports.
Bad regional management..co-workers back stab you for days off.
Hidden for fear of firing. (Former Employee) –  London, ONJune 11, 2016
The cancer for this company is regional/upper management out of London.
1) No matter how well you do, leaders will find a reason to give you a bad score and then come raise time hold it against you. If you are not liked you will not get promoted nor get a raise. Your potential raises are determined months ahead of your yearly review and you are told your "lucky" to get that.
2) Site snitches are rewarded with choice days off while everyone is denied 1 day in 6 months. Some go as far as to record conversations and video co workers, and is encouraged.
3) If you are sick or need extended time off from injury and you live in one of the properties, the 10% discount is taken away and you are charged full rent. Talk about kicking "Valued Associates" while they are down.
4) I have learned that your coworkers are not to be trusted, and your leaders are no different. What is said in confidence to a leader somehow finds its way to a coworkers ear.
5) True leaders will lead their people and help them be better, a "leader" in Ontario will tear you down so they can be better.
6) Choice associates (the favorites ) are treated to lunches and dinners while others are left behind.
7) Management are personal friends with some associates which get added favors as time off and gift cards. while hard workers get less then a nod of the head.
8) Calgary is blind to what happens in Ontario, that will never change.
Avoid working in London. You really have no chance to be anything then a stepping stone for your boss while the stresses of the job consumes you.
Pros
More grace days then most companies
Cons
Leadership, site snitches/back stabbers
Challenging and very rewarding job
Residential Leasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 5, 2014
Loved going to work everyday. Met a lot of interesting people. Day consisted of rent collecting, showing suites for rent, checking vacant units on a daily basis, following up with emails and tenant concerns. Making sure maintenance and cleaners had there list of suites to fix and clean for the day. Inventory counts, landscapers outside doing their job. Entering hours for staff, and making sure the contractors finished their jobs on time and accurately. Walked the site to make sure all garbage was picked up on site. Did move ins and move outs.
Pros
loved the free lunches when the boss came to visit
Excellent Employer/Employee trust environment
Maintenance Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ONAugust 7, 2014
Many opportunities to challenge mechanical aptitude under minimal supervision
Customer base is also a key development area for self advancement
Management promoted from within is encouraged
Found TEAM communication/support exists well across the city
Deadline control can be difficult when turnover is heavy
Company social program as well as benefit package is admirable
Pros
personal department managing is excellent (freedom to move)
Cons
oncall responsibilities can be taxing
fun and fast paced work
Residential Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 15, 2014
A typical day consists of showing apartments to new tentants, resolving issues with current tenants, making sure contractors are there when needed, collecting rental payments and answering calls on out of office hours. I learned a lot about reconciliations and business banking. Management was great and my co workers were awesome to work with. The hardest part was answering the phones at 2 am and the most enjoyable were building connections with the tenants and becoming part of the community.
Pros
live and work on site
An ok place to work
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 3, 2015
I have had two positions at this company, both had pros and cons. Maintenance was a lot of fun, but you had to respond to after hours emergencies. In one year, I had to go out in the middle of the night 12 times.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
On-call work
Great and fun atmosphere.
RESIDENT CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 25, 2013
A typical day in the office consist of our daily meeting with staff, this is where we review what we have ahead of us for the day and what needs to be done. There are many new learning curbs from this position, time management, coaching, mentoring, customer service are just a few,overall It has made me understand and manage a section of the company on a higher level. Days are quite long due to the business but when working with great staff members you tend to forget what time it really is.
Pros
free lunches
Customer Service Representative job at Boardwalk
Residential property manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaJanuary 12, 2013
No 2 days are the same. Acting as a property manager, I have to rent out available suites, look after the building's needs and the needs of the members. Collect rent, oversea the work of Maintenance and Cleaners. Provide financial reports, answer calls, resolve issues. Provide solutions in difficult times and do all this through leadership and customer service skills.
Pros
medical, good compensation package, bonus and involvement in charitable work.
good co-workers baaaaaaaad management
Landscaper (Former Employee) –  EdmontonMay 27, 2013
my co-workers were good my supervisor was awesome, i got a pretty good wage but the management above that was awful. They fire people they don't get along with, they don't inform supervisors when they fire people on their crews and to top it off they hire people to be in charge of areas they know nothing about. I was on landscaping and my supervisor was great but his boss had absolutely no clue about landscaping and they were the one we all had to report to. terrible.
challenging position in the challenging company
Building Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaMarch 4, 2012
Everyday is new with new people, new tips to smooth tasks, new skills to take care of issues, new knowledge to better work performance, and new fresh of look. It offers all kinds of opportunities to inspire our potentials, which lays the solid pavement to develop customer service skills, communication skills, time management skills, organizational skills and so much more.
Boardwalk is a very good company to work for
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMarch 20, 2015
My co-workers were great people. I was always busy showing properties, processing applications and assisting customers both on the phone and in person
Pros
set amount of paid days off
Cons
working monthend
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 8, 2014
I absoloutely love working for Boardwalk. The staff are friendly and professional. The hours are great. The benefits are great. You get to meet different people everyday. No 2 work days are the same.
Pros
grace days. extra days throughout the year for the unexpected things in life.
Cons
can't say there are any!
Poor Management
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Heritage Square, London OnFebruary 5, 2013
Boardwalk does a great job representing themselves as a great place to work, however in my personal experience my supervisor allowed personal politics to ruin my success with the company.
I had great co-workers and they were the most enjoyable part of the time I spent employed with Boardwalk. Just be careful around upper management!
terrible
maitenance (Former Employee) –  london ontJanuary 23, 2015
Associates in the building are great management is a joke not based on skill but based on being a yes man and heaven forbid you hurt yourself on the job patch you up and get back in there beware dont buy any tools until you have reached 3 months
Cons
mangement

2.8