Boardwalk Rental Communities Employee Reviews

Bwalk
Lead Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 August 2017
I do not agree with the fact that I need to judge my work in order to move forward on this log in. My opinion will be just that, mine. I do not need to share it with the world
Pros
Lovely staff, good benefits
Cons
Not applicable
Good start into property management
Residential Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 August 2017
The job was good the people where good but some of the management was not, that's not to say all weren't good. The lack of income was and poor management is why I left eventually.
Pros
Rent discount
Cons
Long hours and small salary
Demands that you work overtime without pay
Resident Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 July 2017
A typical day at work consists of being asked to go above and beyond your duties without compensation. You learn very quickly that everyone is replaceable. Upper management and owners treat you poorly and you are treated like a second class citizen. The workplace culture expects that you work overtime regularly, again without any type of compensation. The hardest part of the job is the inconsistency with policy and procedure. There is nothing enjoyable about the job unless you like being in trouble.
Pros
You have a job
interesting work place
CSR Landlord (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 June 2017
In the area i was working in, they expected us to deal with homeless, drunks, and people on drugs as opposed to calling the police. There is a very poor work alone policy as well. The area coordinator was a micromanager who needed to be in the loop of everything but didn't give direction or delegated tasks to employees so the work would often be held up because of her and her thousands of unanswered emails. I was also robbed by potential tenants as well as I was present for a drug overdose and had to fill out a witness statement to a murder.....
I'm not saying all of boardwalk was like this but definitely in the abbottsfield area.
Horrible place to work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon11 April 2017
Staff is very cliquey and if you don't fit in then you are let go. Management has no integrity, just wants to be friends with the staff and not care about productivity.
productive
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 March 2017
very demanding and fast and hard ,you learn so much think like customer service management ,work place full of complain from the costumers ,flood in the building ,pizza day
Pros
Cons
on call
Amazing community environment.
Accounting department clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 March 2017
Boardwalk is a wonderful place to work. Everyone is very helpful. The owners and executives are very active in the employees work place life and ensure a healthy balanced community. They also make sure their employees have the resources for a balanced personal life as well. Very accommodating and rewarding to those who work hard.
Horrible and stressful
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 March 2017
Worst company I have ever worked for. No respect for employees, we are treated like dirt and worked until we have a nervous breakdown. Short staffed, management has unrealistic expectations of us. They spend millions of dollars on renovations but nobody got raises or bonuses. It's a joke. The amount of employees that need to go on stress leave should tell them something. But then they just treat you like an even bigger piece of trash if you have to take time off. If you go on a stress or medical leave, good luck! They will make your life miserable when you come back. Management is a joke too. They think they are better than everybody, they talk to you like you are a child, and are very unprofessional and rude. This is a job with long hours, low pay and zero respect.
Pros
RRSP match, good co-workers
Cons
Low pay, long hours, too much stress and pressure, understaffed, poor management
Excellent companny
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2017
Excellent company for work . I was working for 3 years now and I love it, good place to work and live.

Great team work, people love what they do and with respect.
Pros
Full benefits
Enthusiastic about work and working with other in a team
Building Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 December 2016
- Strong communication skills with positive attitude
- Mature, resourceful and organize
- Able to work relatively, independently and as member of team
Terrible experience
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 November 2016
Pros: If you're lucky enough to get hired on permanent right off the bat the benefits plan is great.

Cons: (cracks knuckles)

-On-call. You will be there at 2 AM unclogging toilets and repairing water breaks. Stuff plumbers should really be doing, but they cheap out on that.
-Buildings. Mine was absolutely disgusting. Full of homeless squatters peeing and pooing in the units. Hookers. Drug dealers. Mold in almost every unit. AND BED BUGS! When I saw those copper brown pests crawling around on bathroom mold that was it for me and I quit the following week. Not chancing bringing those home to my family.
-Management. What management? I was there for a month and requested three time to have access to my pay stub on their computer and never got one. I didn't know if I was being paid correctly until I got my last pay cheque when I quit. Inquiries in their email are COMPLETELY IGNORED! So if you have issues or problems and they tell you to email the supervisor, that's a polite way of saying "shut up and go away."
-Necessary tools. My location had gone through a large bout of turnover (I painfully stuck it out for a month), thus, the supplies room had been pillaged and raided of every piece of tool, material and miscellaneous thing you need to do your job.
-The guy training me had only been there 6 weeks and told me we need to work faster. I said I have 2 speeds, If they didn't like this one they sure weren't going to like the other one.

Use this as a transition job. Don't hang around too long or you'll bring bed bugs home.
Benefits
Cons
Bed Bugs, On-call, Run down buildings, Mold, Management, no material, too few experienced.
Terrible.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 October 2016
Don't buy the fake reviews. You would have a hard time finding a more dysfunctional working environment. Crackheads and druggies make up their long time employees, culture of insanity. They would be losing money if they weren't robbing people to live in ghetto buildings.
Pros
Cons
The worst you can imagine.
Great employees
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 August 2016
Management is a joke working people like slaves never good enough or fast enough
..never get hurt or you are dirt.Don't ever take breaks as not allowed. London area run by women who think they are queens and not human.
Pros
Paychecks
Cons
Overworked never good job or thanks
Bad regional management..co-workers back stab you for days off.
Hidden for fear of firing. (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 June 2016
The cancer for this company is regional/upper management out of London.
1) No matter how well you do, leaders will find a reason to give you a bad score and then come raise time hold it against you. If you are not liked you will not get promoted nor get a raise. Your potential raises are determined months ahead of your yearly review and you are told your "lucky" to get that.
2) Site snitches are rewarded with choice days off while everyone is denied 1 day in 6 months. Some go as far as to record conversations and video co workers, and is encouraged.
3) If you are sick or need extended time off from injury and you live in one of the properties, the 10% discount is taken away and you are charged full rent. Talk about kicking "Valued Associates" while they are down.
4) I have learned that your coworkers are not to be trusted, and your leaders are no different. What is said in confidence to a leader somehow finds its way to a coworkers ear.
5) True leaders will lead their people and help them be better, a "leader" in Ontario will tear you down so they can be better.
6) Choice associates (the favorites ) are treated to lunches and dinners while others are left behind.
7) Management are personal friends with some associates which get added favors as time off and gift cards. while hard workers get less then a nod of the head.
8) Calgary is blind to what happens in Ontario, that will never change.
Avoid working in London. You really have no chance to be anything then a stepping stone for your boss while the stresses of the job consumes you.
Pros
More grace days then most companies
Cons
Leadership, site snitches/back stabbers
Culture shift
Property Manager (Customer Service Representative) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 May 2016
The Boardwalk that I started working for is not the Boardwalk that exists now. An exclusive old-boys club has sprung up in the head office, dominating upper management positions and trickling its influence down throughout the middle management. Additionally, the company culture has shifted its tone from "We're a community and family that works together for the benefit of our residents", to "You'd better be grateful we don't do layoffs, and we're going to squeeze our residents for every dollar we can, regardless of retention".
Pros
Occasional special events, Christmas parties
Cons
Wages, benefits, management, schedule.
Great place to work good management, good people
Residential Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 April 2016
I love this place, nice paid, only busy in month end. good management. tenants are nice. sometimes there are some bad people you have to evicted and they leave the apartment a mess
Pros
teamwork, good benefit good management
Cons
little advancement opportunity
Labour violations
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 April 2016
Terrible employer - will violate labour standards every chance they get if it puts money in their pocket. If you make a complaint about it, you get let go. Pretty clear why they have such high turnover.
Pros
Cons
Not worth working for
Productive place to work with very good management.
Costumer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 December 2015
Productive and a good company to work. I've developed my customer service ability and I was trained how to handle difficult situation. The management were very supportive with their employees. I have a very considerate co-workers. The hardest part with my job is my work schedule. The most enjoyable part in my job is working with very good people.
Pros
Team building quarterly with free food.
Cons
Working on holidays and and working late shift everyday and need to work on weekend..
Check your pay statements closely!
Maintenance Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 December 2015
I was warned about accounting missing hours and overtime
when i started and boy were they right. You can excuse the odd mistake but it became obvious that there was a little bit more to it
than that.

Boardwalk overworks their maintenance people to the breaking point.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Over worked, Poor Wages
A very productive work place and lots of good benefits
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 October 2015
Typical day at work -- I arrive at the office, get my coffee, go through my emails, and review my list of pending customer requests/issues.
What I learned -- Anticipate and think through tough decisions before you face them. Establish guidelines in advance.
My Co-workers -- we get along and we also have a team work
The hardest part of the job is showing empathy and still make sure i am doing whats right for the company. Enjoyable place to work with very supportive management. Each team player pitches in whenever needed. Interacting with the public is my favorite part of my job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boardwalk Rental Communities. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9