Boardwalk Rental Communities Employee Reviews

Excellent companny
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2017
Excellent company for work . I was working for 3 years now and I love it, good place to work and live.

Great team work, people love what they do and with respect.
Pros
Full benefits
Culture shift
Property Manager (Customer Service Representative) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 May 2016
The Boardwalk that I started working for is not the Boardwalk that exists now. An exclusive old-boys club has sprung up in the head office, dominating upper management positions and trickling its influence down throughout the middle management. Additionally, the company culture has shifted its tone from "We're a community and family that works together for the benefit of our residents", to "You'd better be grateful we don't do layoffs, and we're going to squeeze our residents for every dollar we can, regardless of retention".
Pros
Occasional special events, Christmas parties
Cons
Wages, benefits, management, schedule.
Terrible experience
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 November 2016
Pros: If you're lucky enough to get hired on permanent right off the bat the benefits plan is great.

Cons: (cracks knuckles)

-On-call. You will be there at 2 AM unclogging toilets and repairing water breaks. Stuff plumbers should really be doing, but they cheap out on that.
-Buildings. Mine was absolutely disgusting. Full of homeless squatters peeing and pooing in the units. Hookers. Drug dealers. Mold in almost every unit. AND BED BUGS! When I saw those copper brown pests crawling around on bathroom mold that was it for me and I quit the following week. Not chancing bringing those home to my family.
-Management. What management? I was there for a month and requested three time to have access to my pay stub on their computer and never got one. I didn't know if I was being paid correctly until I got my last pay cheque when I quit. Inquiries in their email are COMPLETELY IGNORED! So if you have issues or problems and they tell you to email the supervisor, that's a polite way of saying "shut up and go away."
-Necessary tools. My location had gone through a large bout of turnover (I painfully stuck it out for a month), thus, the supplies room had been pillaged and raided of every piece of tool, material and miscellaneous thing you need to do your job.
-The guy training me had only been there 6 weeks and told me we need to work faster. I said I have 2 speeds, If they didn't like this one they sure weren't going to like the other one.

Use this as a transition job. Don't hang around too long or you'll bring bed bugs home.
Benefits
Cons
Bed Bugs, On-call, Run down buildings, Mold, Management, no material, too few experienced.
Bad regional management..co-workers back stab you for days off.
Hidden for fear of firing. (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 June 2016
The cancer for this company is regional/upper management out of London.
1) No matter how well you do, leaders will find a reason to give you a bad score and then come raise time hold it against you. If you are not liked you will not get promoted nor get a raise. Your potential raises are determined months ahead of your yearly review and you are told your "lucky" to get that.
2) Site snitches are rewarded with choice days off while everyone is denied 1 day in 6 months. Some go as far as to record conversations and video co workers, and is encouraged.
3) If you are sick or need extended time off from injury and you live in one of the properties, the 10% discount is taken away and you are charged full rent. Talk about kicking "Valued Associates" while they are down.
4) I have learned that your coworkers are not to be trusted, and your leaders are no different. What is said in confidence to a leader somehow finds its way to a coworkers ear.
5) True leaders will lead their people and help them be better, a "leader" in Ontario will tear you down so they can be better.
6) Choice associates (the favorites ) are treated to lunches and dinners while others are left behind.
7) Management are personal friends with some associates which get added favors as time off and gift cards. while hard workers get less then a nod of the head.
8) Calgary is blind to what happens in Ontario, that will never change.
Avoid working in London. You really have no chance to be anything then a stepping stone for your boss while the stresses of the job consumes you.
Pros
More grace days then most companies
Cons
Leadership, site snitches/back stabbers
Ok place to work
Resident Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 November 2016
I was resident management so I was provided with nice two bedroom apartment. I learned my business skills there. Unfortunately my dad got sick and pass away and it hit me very very hard and so they let me go, but I did learn a lot.
Pros
A nice apartment
Cons
The let me go because my dad died
Terrible.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 October 2016
Don't buy the fake reviews. You would have a hard time finding a more dysfunctional working environment. Crackheads and druggies make up their long time employees, culture of insanity. They would be losing money if they weren't robbing people to live in ghetto buildings.
Pros
Cons
The worst you can imagine.
Great employees
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 August 2016
Management is a joke working people like slaves never good enough or fast enough
..never get hurt or you are dirt.Don't ever take breaks as not allowed. London area run by women who think they are queens and not human.
Pros
Paychecks
Cons
Overworked never good job or thanks
BEWARE...DO NOT WORK THERE!!
Resident Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2013
This company has very poor management. The training is not enough to prepare someone to feel fully comfortable in a management or Customer service role to deal with various situations. Very short training. Little support from mentors and trainers. They basically set you up for failure hence the reason they are always looking for new workers. Very stressful environment and some of the workers are not helpful and have very bad attitude.Typical day would include answering calls regarding rental vacancies, showing of suites, following up on maintenance requests from tenants, collecting rent and following up on defaults just to name a few. The most hardest part of the job was no work life balance as you are always on call for at least three to four sites most of the time. Most enjoyable was interacting with the tenants. Overall, not a good place to work.
Pros
Sometimes free lunch, lots of charitable work
Cons
Very long working hours especially on month ends and no extra pay because of working on salary
Great place to work good management, good people
Residential Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 April 2016
I love this place, nice paid, only busy in month end. good management. tenants are nice. sometimes there are some bad people you have to evicted and they leave the apartment a mess
Pros
teamwork, good benefit good management
Cons
little advancement opportunity
Customer Service Representative job at Boardwalk
Residential property manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta12 January 2013
No 2 days are the same. Acting as a property manager, I have to rent out available suites, look after the building's needs and the needs of the members. Collect rent, oversea the work of Maintenance and Cleaners. Provide financial reports, answer calls, resolve issues. Provide solutions in difficult times and do all this through leadership and customer service skills.
Pros
medical, good compensation package, bonus and involvement in charitable work.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 August 2014
I absoloutely love working for Boardwalk. The staff are friendly and professional. The hours are great. The benefits are great. You get to meet different people everyday. No 2 work days are the same.
Pros
Grace days. Extra days throughout the year for the unexpected things in life.
Cons
Can't say there are any!
An ok place to work
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 May 2015
I have had two positions at this company, both had pros and cons. Maintenance was a lot of fun, but you had to respond to after hours emergencies. In one year, I had to go out in the middle of the night 12 times.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
On-call work
Productive place to work with very good management.
Costumer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 December 2015
Productive and a good company to work. I've developed my customer service ability and I was trained how to handle difficult situation. The management were very supportive with their employees. I have a very considerate co-workers. The hardest part with my job is my work schedule. The most enjoyable part in my job is working with very good people.
Pros
Team building quarterly with free food.
Cons
Working on holidays and and working late shift everyday and need to work on weekend..
A very productive work place and lots of good benefits
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 October 2015
Typical day at work -- I arrive at the office, get my coffee, go through my emails, and review my list of pending customer requests/issues.
What I learned -- Anticipate and think through tough decisions before you face them. Establish guidelines in advance.
My Co-workers -- we get along and we also have a team work
The hardest part of the job is showing empathy and still make sure i am doing whats right for the company. Enjoyable place to work with very supportive management. Each team player pitches in whenever needed. Interacting with the public is my favorite part of my job.
Labour violations
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 April 2016
Terrible employer - will violate labour standards every chance they get if it puts money in their pocket. If you make a complaint about it, you get let go. Pretty clear why they have such high turnover.
Pros
Cons
Not worth working for
A secure job with lot of fun
Maintenance Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 September 2014
I love to work here. I has good company culture and gives good benefits
productive
Landscaping Associate (Current Employee) –  edmonton13 November 2012
Great Team
Lots of locations.
Great benifits
great enviroment
Pros
great benifits
fun and fast paced work
Residential Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 July 2014
A typical day consists of showing apartments to new tentants, resolving issues with current tenants, making sure contractors are there when needed, collecting rental payments and answering calls on out of office hours. I learned a lot about reconciliations and business banking. Management was great and my co workers were awesome to work with. The hardest part was answering the phones at 2 am and the most enjoyable were building connections with the tenants and becoming part of the community.
Pros
live and work on site
Cons
Great and fun atmosphere.
RESIDENT CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 November 2013
A typical day in the office consist of our daily meeting with staff, this is where we review what we have ahead of us for the day and what needs to be done. There are many new learning curbs from this position, time management, coaching, mentoring, customer service are just a few,overall It has made me understand and manage a section of the company on a higher level. Days are quite long due to the business but when working with great staff members you tend to forget what time it really is.
Pros
free lunches
Excellent Employer/Employee trust environment
Maintenance Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON7 August 2014
Many opportunities to challenge mechanical aptitude under minimal supervision
Customer base is also a key development area for self advancement
Management promoted from within is encouraged
Found TEAM communication/support exists well across the city
Deadline control can be difficult when turnover is heavy
Company social program as well as benefit package is admirable
Pros
Personal department managing is excellent (freedom to move)
Cons
Oncall responsibilities can be taxing

2.9