Boardwalk Rental Communities Employee Reviews

Terrible experience
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 November 2016
Pros: If you're lucky enough to get hired on permanent right off the bat the benefits plan is great.

Cons: (cracks knuckles)

-On-call. You will be there at 2 AM unclogging toilets and repairing water breaks. Stuff plumbers should really be doing, but they cheap out on that.
-Buildings. Mine was absolutely disgusting. Full of homeless squatters peeing and pooing in the units. Hookers. Drug dealers. Mold in almost every unit. AND BED BUGS! When I saw those copper brown pests crawling around on bathroom mold that was it for me and I quit the following week. Not chancing bringing those home to my family.
-Management. What management? I was there for a month and requested three time to have access to my pay stub on their computer and never got one. I didn't know if I was being paid correctly until I got my last pay cheque when I quit. Inquiries in their email are COMPLETELY IGNORED! So if you have issues or problems and they tell you to email the supervisor, that's a polite way of saying "shut up and go away."
-Necessary tools. My location had gone through a large bout of turnover (I painfully stuck it out for a month), thus, the supplies room had been pillaged and raided of every piece of tool, material and miscellaneous thing you need to do your job.
-The guy training me had only been there 6 weeks and told me we need to work faster. I said I have 2 speeds, If they didn't like this one they sure weren't going to like the other one.

Use this as a transition job. Don't hang around too long or you'll bring bed bugs home.
Benefits
Cons
Bed Bugs, On-call, Run down buildings, Mold, Management, no material, too few experienced.
Terrible.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 October 2016
Don't buy the fake reviews. You would have a hard time finding a more dysfunctional working environment. Crackheads and druggies make up their long time employees, culture of insanity. They would be losing money if they weren't robbing people to live in ghetto buildings.
Pros
Cons
The worst you can imagine.
Great employees
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 August 2016
Management is a joke working people like slaves never good enough or fast enough
..never get hurt or you are dirt.Don't ever take breaks as not allowed. London area run by women who think they are queens and not human.
Pros
Paychecks
Cons
Overworked never good job or thanks
Bad regional management..co-workers back stab you for days off.
Hidden for fear of firing. (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 June 2016
The cancer for this company is regional/upper management out of London.
1) No matter how well you do, leaders will find a reason to give you a bad score and then come raise time hold it against you. If you are not liked you will not get promoted nor get a raise. Your potential raises are determined months ahead of your yearly review and you are told your "lucky" to get that.
2) Site snitches are rewarded with choice days off while everyone is denied 1 day in 6 months. Some go as far as to record conversations and video co workers, and is encouraged.
3) If you are sick or need extended time off from injury and you live in one of the properties, the 10% discount is taken away and you are charged full rent. Talk about kicking "Valued Associates" while they are down.
4) I have learned that your coworkers are not to be trusted, and your leaders are no different. What is said in confidence to a leader somehow finds its way to a coworkers ear.
5) True leaders will lead their people and help them be better, a "leader" in Ontario will tear you down so they can be better.
6) Choice associates (the favorites ) are treated to lunches and dinners while others are left behind.
7) Management are personal friends with some associates which get added favors as time off and gift cards. while hard workers get less then a nod of the head.
8) Calgary is blind to what happens in Ontario, that will never change.
Avoid working in London. You really have no chance to be anything then a stepping stone for your boss while the stresses of the job consumes you.
Pros
More grace days then most companies
Cons
Leadership, site snitches/back stabbers
Culture shift
Property Manager (Customer Service Representative) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 May 2016
The Boardwalk that I started working for is not the Boardwalk that exists now. An exclusive old-boys club has sprung up in the head office, dominating upper management positions and trickling its influence down throughout the middle management. Additionally, the company culture has shifted its tone from "We're a community and family that works together for the benefit of our residents", to "You'd better be grateful we don't do layoffs, and we're going to squeeze our residents for every dollar we can, regardless of retention".
Pros
Occasional special events, Christmas parties
Cons
Wages, benefits, management, schedule.
Great place to work good management, good people
Residential Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 April 2016
I love this place, nice paid, only busy in month end. good management. tenants are nice. sometimes there are some bad people you have to evicted and they leave the apartment a mess
Pros
teamwork, good benefit good management
Cons
little advancement opportunity
Labour violations
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 April 2016
Terrible employer - will violate labour standards every chance they get if it puts money in their pocket. If you make a complaint about it, you get let go. Pretty clear why they have such high turnover.
Pros
Cons
Not worth working for
Productive place to work with very good management.
Costumer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 December 2015
Productive and a good company to work. I've developed my customer service ability and I was trained how to handle difficult situation. The management were very supportive with their employees. I have a very considerate co-workers. The hardest part with my job is my work schedule. The most enjoyable part in my job is working with very good people.
Pros
Team building quarterly with free food.
Cons
Working on holidays and and working late shift everyday and need to work on weekend..
Check your pay statements closely!
Maintenance Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 December 2015
I was warned about accounting missing hours and overtime
when i started and boy were they right. You can excuse the odd mistake but it became obvious that there was a little bit more to it
than that.

Boardwalk overworks their maintenance people to the breaking point.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Over worked, Poor Wages
A very productive work place and lots of good benefits
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 October 2015
Typical day at work -- I arrive at the office, get my coffee, go through my emails, and review my list of pending customer requests/issues.
What I learned -- Anticipate and think through tough decisions before you face them. Establish guidelines in advance.
My Co-workers -- we get along and we also have a team work
The hardest part of the job is showing empathy and still make sure i am doing whats right for the company. Enjoyable place to work with very supportive management. Each team player pitches in whenever needed. Interacting with the public is my favorite part of my job.
Productive and fun place to work with a pool!
Resident Building Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 September 2015
I loved this job! I enjoyed interacting with my tenants on a daily basis. Helping them have a happy safe home was a priority to me! A typical day at this job was to open the door to the office and take care of any issue a tenant had, be it plumbing, electrical, or other issues like rent on time or not. would always try and help the tenant sort out the issue in a timely matter with kindness and respect. I would check the building 2 times per day to check for lights out in building and also check for any garbage around or people who shouldn't be hanging around. Assist my staff of 4 (cleaners and Maintenance) with repairs and anything they needed to get there jobs done like ordering supplies and assisting as a second person for such jobs that needed it. show suites and rent them out based on the guidelines on the Alberta Residential Tenancy Act. I learned plenty in this job about how high rise apartment buildings function on a daily basis. Honestly I really enjoyed working with my partner at this job he was very fun to be around and helpful when I was stuck on something. was when I had to evict someone on the first day they moved in but sometimes this happens and you have to look out for the whole building safety. I loved that I could have my dog with me on the job. I had to leave this job because of a personal issue. and wish it never happened. I loved working here.
Pros
Cheap Rent, good pay, fun people to work with
Cons
Location was a bad neighborhood
Great Employer
Residential Customer Service (Former Employee) –  London, ON6 July 2015
Boardwalk offers a lot of employee support. I personally worked in the office, So I helped with the collection of rent, on call after business hours, keeping site clean on evenings and weekends, updating tenant info, weekly reports.
An ok place to work
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 May 2015
I have had two positions at this company, both had pros and cons. Maintenance was a lot of fun, but you had to respond to after hours emergencies. In one year, I had to go out in the middle of the night 12 times.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
On-call work
Boardwalk is a very good company to work for
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB20 March 2015
My co-workers were great people. I was always busy showing properties, processing applications and assisting customers both on the phone and in person
Pros
Set amount of paid days off
Cons
working monthend
terrible
maitenance (Former Employee) –  london ont23 January 2015
Associates in the building are great management is a joke not based on skill but based on being a yes man and heaven forbid you hurt yourself on the job patch you up and get back in there beware dont buy any tools until you have reached 3 months
Cons
mangement
A secure job with lot of fun
Maintenance Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 September 2014
I love to work here. I has good company culture and gives good benefits
Challenging and very rewarding job
Residential Leasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 September 2014
Loved going to work everyday. Met a lot of interesting people. Day consisted of rent collecting, showing suites for rent, checking vacant units on a daily basis, following up with emails and tenant concerns. Making sure maintenance and cleaners had there list of suites to fix and clean for the day. Inventory counts, landscapers outside doing their job. Entering hours for staff, and making sure the contractors finished their jobs on time and accurately. Walked the site to make sure all garbage was picked up on site. Did move ins and move outs.
Pros
loved the free lunches when the boss came to visit
Fun working environment
maintenance associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 August 2014
Daily routine includes all job request organization, meeting tenants and talks about services needed/provided, conducting repairs and troubleshooting.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
on-call schedules
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 August 2014
I absoloutely love working for Boardwalk. The staff are friendly and professional. The hours are great. The benefits are great. You get to meet different people everyday. No 2 work days are the same.
Pros
Grace days. Extra days throughout the year for the unexpected things in life.
Cons
Can't say there are any!
Excellent Employer/Employee trust environment
Maintenance Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON7 August 2014
Many opportunities to challenge mechanical aptitude under minimal supervision
Customer base is also a key development area for self advancement
Management promoted from within is encouraged
Found TEAM communication/support exists well across the city
Deadline control can be difficult when turnover is heavy
Company social program as well as benefit package is admirable
Pros
Personal department managing is excellent (freedom to move)
Cons
Oncall responsibilities can be taxing

2.9